Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

extracting speakers from beovision MX- - -

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member
BeoLignage Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 9:41 PM

Hi,

I have used my MX6000 as a center speaker in a 3.1 surround set up. The Front speakers were CX100 and the sub woofer a non Beo. The 5.1 pioneer amp (I use Beo for Stereo/music) had pre out to the center which I connected to the scart of the TV together with video source from the DVD.

The speakers in the MX6000 and the CX100 match very good I would say, with similar tonal quality, which makes the sound sweep through the room without changing character.

so now I wonder, when I switch to a new TV and it might not be a beo, what can I do to get the same sound... one fought led to another and I started thinking about buying a MX6000 to "extract" the speakers.

can it be done? anyone who have opened a MX and knows if the cabinets are separable from the "tube"/tv set, with some modification, can the amp be used, or would I only be able to take the speaker cones?

if looking at a MX7000 with active speakers, what can be done there and is it a better alternative in terms of sound or only more work...

any suggestions and discussions are welcome on this topic

Cheers, Goran

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 7:37 AM

My short suggestion is to forget it and use a single CX100 or similar as a center.

The longer answer... no, the speakers in an MX aren't in a separate cabinet. So you would need to build one, and essentially all the MX would be good for is to donate the drivers and the very simple crossover. And if you want to build speakers, there are much better alternatives around.

Same problem with the MX7000, with the addition that you would need to build a power supply for the amplifiers. There's very little you can remove from a CRT TV and still have it turn on so that the power supply works.

The MX speakers aren't that great anyway. They suffer from foam rot and can't really go that loud. An old LX (one of the better models, not all of them had "proper" speakers) might be a better alternative - they sound better, have a larger bass/mid driver and a bass reflex enclosure for them. But as you probably don't want to look at an oddly shaped black plastic box under your new TV, you would still need to build a new housing for it...

Now somebody will probably jump in and tell what a great project that would be, and that I shouldn't discourage you. So, if you still want to do it, go ahead, but don't say I didn't tell you Big Smile

--mika

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member

No problem Mika, I appreciate the warning :)

My MX6000 must have speakers in good shape, it sounds much better than my previous ME600O (it should) butt I find it better sounding, in terms of bas loudness, than my father’s MX7000 which was brand new when I compared it to my used MX6000.

So building an own cabinet for the drivers, that I already thought I had to, but as you mention, the extra effort for powering the amp from MX7000 is just not worth it. (if any of this is)

I would not spend that much money to give it a try, a MX6000 is about 50€ and then I get a Beo4 and I could maybe get use of the IR receiver from the TV as well. So the speaker project comes at almost no cost… The highest “price” would be carrying the MX up the stairs, which is not a small effort :)

Regarding CX100 as center, it was already an alternative, I will have some questions put in another discussion

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 8:56 AM

Anyway, if you like they DIY aspect, I believe the LX speakers might be a good start - IMHO they sound as good as CXs, and two of them placed horizontally end-to-end could actually make a nice center speaker. The looks is a problem, though...

Broken - or even working - LX28xx's can usually be had for nothing, and occasionally you see the speaker cabinets alone salvaged from them for sale. Could be worth it to pay a little for such a pair and save the trouble of taking the rest of the set to the dump Smile

I believe the ME / MS / L / LE / LS sets all had pretty mediocre full range single-driver speakers instead of the two-way construction of the "proper" B&O sets, so they do sound noticeable worse than an MX6000 for example.

--mika

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member
BeoLignage replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:12 PM

Just so I got this right, is it possible to disassemble the speaker cabinets of a LX28xx from the rest of the TV? 

What about the wiring then, the CX100 that will be used as front speakers are 6 Ohm impedance, when using the MX6000 as center the internal amp in the TV was used with low level input. But with the LX28xx speakers driven from the amp I would prefer to have them at 6 Ohm as well. (the current pioneer amp works down to 6 Ohm but in a special mode, (mode1=6 Ohm mode2=8-16 Ohm)) I guess you can drive 12 Ohm speakers in both modes but the no1 will get less power out of the amp to enable 6 Ohm speakers to be driven with protection of the amp.

If I do the center with a CX100 or two I run in to a similar problem, http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/2443.aspx

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:08 PM

Yes, the LX-speakers are separate closed units and if I remember correctly, they even have standard 2-pin DIN plugs on their leads.
The LX28xx are far superior to the LX25xx.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS