Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 6000 Quad

rated by 0 users
This post has 105 Replies | 1 Follower

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig Posted: Sat, Apr 15 2017 4:40 PM

Finally getting around to this machine, now I have enough speakers to connect to it! I already had a good look at it cosmetically when it was kindly gifted to me by Peter....looked good then and still does.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

There are a couple of minor scratches/marks here and there however I feel I can polish most of them away.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Overall it looks in pretty good shape for such an old girl

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Opened her up for a quick look around

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Quite a lot of dust around in here (Peter...shame on you) but nothing looks amiss, not that I have ever seen inside one before, so I powered her up to see if all the lamps worked. 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Every lamp works fine, all of the pushbuttons function nicely too, the volume/bass/treble and both balance lights are a little dull but work none the less, I'm wondering if Rudy does a LED replacement for these lamps. Had to connect a speaker and try the radio....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Works an absolute treat.......sound is pretty good too, tried the aux input with my ipad and was rewarded with more good sounding playback

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Tried the one speaker around all four outputs and all work fine. The on/off switch fell apart when I removed it to dismantle the grill and one of the speaker output sockets is a bit wobbly....outside of those minor issues I have a fully functioning 6000. So that established I need to make a decision on a full recap and trimmer change for this unit, the new belts Martin supplied will go in, the movement of the indicator ribbons is a little sluggish, maybe down to slipping belts, I know this wont be easy from reading the posts others have shared........

Martin......I don't suppose you do a capacitor kit for this machine?

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Apr 15 2017 10:55 PM

It had lived under out bed for the last three years - so dust probably a given! The bulbs probably would be best replaced - Tim serviced this some time ago but he didn't have the correct bulbs so some were brighter than they should have been.

I didn't leave a small white box with you, did I? I have put it somewhere and have no idea where - it has a number of cartridges in it!! Probably somewhere stupid here but thought it worth asking!

Have to check what else is under the bed - a couple of VCRs I think, some speakers and maybe another receiver.

Peter

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Tue, Apr 18 2017 8:06 AM

Peter

I have had a good look around for your missing white box but found nothing, I seem to recall you fishing out the cartridge for the "4001" from a grey box when you dropped it off last year but don't think I can remember seeing a white one. However should it surface I will know where it belongs ;¬) 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Apr 18 2017 5:56 PM

I didn't expect you had it - just wracking my brain as where I have put them!! Dementia is clearly galloping on!

Peter

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Tue, Apr 18 2017 7:41 PM

Hey........what a shame it never kicked in early enough for you to forget where you you left your BM4401 and the two Beograms :-)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Apr 19 2017 8:53 AM

If you would like the loan of a Beogram on a long term basis, just tell me. I only use one or two so have 2 spare 400X decks. No quad module anymore though. I think I gave away my quad records but will check - I may have some SQ ones somewhere and the B&O CD4 Mahler. I do keep finding things that I forgot that I ever had!!

Peter

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Took her down a little further today as I finished a little early, and I have to say the dust isn't as bad as one would expect for years under Peters bed!

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Mercifully the tuner pully wheel came apart nicely and I wasn't left with the problem that Rudi had with the bearing re assembly and re thread of the cord.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

The EL switch board looks mechanically sound with no signs of any loose buckles on the underside of the switches, however I suspect the contact within will be tarnished after all this time

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

And the motor control panel looks in equally good shape.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Little more dust around the IF and Decoder sections but nothing looks untoward.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

The indicator ribbons look a little slack to me, I don't know how taught they should be but I think they shouldn't be quite as much slack as there is at present.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Closer inspection of the front and back balance ribbon reveals some very skilful repair work has been carried out.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Looking at the motor drive coupling reveals cracks in the rubber sleeve that looks like it will need replacing, anyone know what is the best replacement for this or will I need to scratch around various hose sites to find something of the correct dimensions?

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

The motor is also loose at the fixings towards the bottom, you know....the ones you cant get at easily!

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

The worm drive looks like it needs lubrication to, silicone grease perhaps for this application? This picture doesn't show it clearly but some of the drive belts on the indicator ribbons have started to perish and show tiny cracks, I have Martins kit for this very reason though....I will take this assembly apart next.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Indicator ribbons and associated retaining clips came away without any issues

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

And the retaining clips themselves look in good shape, test will be when I pinch them during re assembly.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Disconnected the motor and retaining bearing from the non drive end and the drive shaft and clutch assemblies slid out quite easily.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

loosened off each potentiometer and with a bit of jiggling around got Martins replacement belts onto the wheels and using the dremel spanner tightened everything back up

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Two of the original belts showed signs of cracking, the other three didn't look too bad, but as I had cut them to remove them easier I thought it best to replace them all, unfortunately when I removed the nylon bearing from the non drive end of the clutch assembly drive shaft I found that one side was broken....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Not the end of the world though and a small amount of epoxy resin has been applied.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

I have now replaced the clutch assembly drive shaft and carefully fitted all the belts, the non drive end bearing will have to set before I fit it back, which will have to wait until I can source a replacement bit of nylon/rubber hose to replace the coupling from the motor to the drive shaft 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

As can be seen the existing coupling is showing signs of failure, I'm thinking maybe a piece of tubing from a fish tank aeration pump or something similar will be required

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

replaced the 5000uf 70v output capacitors with 4700uf 100v components, the 100v should be ok I think. 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Wed, Apr 26 2017 9:15 PM

I've also taken delivery of the piece of rubber tubing I needed for the motor coupling, 3mm ID x 8mm OD, fits nicely, however I needed to but 1m of the stuff...so i'm good to restore another 30 or so BM6000 quads. I have also ordered replacement indicator ribbon clips from Rudi, seemed unreasonable not to replace the existing clips even if they survived re installation following this job.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Apr 26 2017 9:33 PM

Craig:

I have also ordered replacement indicator ribbon clips from Rudi, seemed unreasonable not to replace the existing clips even if they survived re installation following this job.

Curiously, these clips seem to break fairly often in the states, whereas I have never seen a broken one here.

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Thu, Apr 27 2017 7:49 AM

Strange I agree......the original clips look fine and still feel quite flexible, though I haven't pushed them very far for fear of snapping one, I will certainly hang onto them for spares just in case.  

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Apr 27 2017 9:23 AM

If you push them in sideways, they will not have to bend so much.

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

look at these capacitors.....amazing how much smaller modern day components have become.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Of course the mounting brackets wont go near these modern replacements......will need to modify them to suit

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Tone board up next.....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Halfway mark reached........bit awkward to get at these bits due to the wiring looms, but not impossible.

Page 1 of 3 (106 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS