Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound Core Compatibility

rated by 0 users
This post has 56 Replies | 5 Followers

dgarratt
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
dgarratt Posted: Sat, Nov 11 2017 8:03 AM

Hi All, I have a number of B&O products however I thinking of purchasing a BeoSound Core for my main 3rd party system and i'm wondering if I can use the BeoSound Core and connect it to my 3rd party DAC via the optical out on the Core. I could then essentially control this 3rd part system with the BO App.

Would appreciate any advise.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi dgarratt and welcome to Beoworld

Theoretically you could, but you would have to control the volume outside the app, eg in the 3rd party system.

As far as I am aware the volume of the SPDIF-out (of the Core) is fixed.

The BS Core however has its own DAC built-in - why not use the analog PL-output directly?

P.S. Which ‘3rd party system’ do you intent to connect it to?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

liberal
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member
liberal replied on Sat, Nov 11 2017 9:00 AM

Although I don’t use the optical out of my Core, it can be volume regulated.

This is can be set with the app under configuration-sound settings-optical out.

The sampling rate can also be set.

Paul

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks for the info, liberal.

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot (one or more) of the configuration settings options.

Not much to gain from the official B&O guide in this matter.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@dgarrett

Seems that you might give it a try then ;-)

MM

dgarratt
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
dgarratt replied on Sat, Nov 11 2017 10:17 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies..sounds like this could/should work.

I'm also glad to read volume control should also be achievable!

Will make the purchase and give it a go. Will report back with my findings once i've had a chance to test.

D

hostler
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
hostler replied on Sat, Nov 11 2017 1:06 PM

dgarratt 

I would love to know how you get on, and to see any screenshots of the UI too.

I'm using a RoonServer, playing through a Chord DAC to play my Hi-Rez collection - which is distributed via my BS Moment via it's line in. I don't really use the Moment's UI anymore and am thinking the Core could be a much more discrete replacement.

I love the design of the Moment, and have it proudly on display, but like so many things now, relay on the smartphone.

Many thanks in advance & good luck!

liberal
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member

Hi,

Here are some screen shots form the configuration settings on the app

liberal
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member

Line In Settings

liberal
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member

Optical Settings

liberal
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member

Optical-Out settings

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@liberal

Thank you a lot - very helpfull, indeed.

MM

dgarratt
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
dgarratt replied on Wed, Nov 15 2017 4:12 AM

Hi All,

I have received my Core and am very happy with it. It's able to do everything I was hoping it could do.

Optical out to my DAC works perfect and per the screenshots from liberal you can also configure the optical out to control the volume.

It's an expensive bit of kit but I think it's worth it.

Does anyone know if there is any DSP enabled by default on the Core? 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Glad it works well for you.

As for DSP - using the optical-out it it probably is not the case.

When you use the PL outputs, you can choose which speakers are connected - in that case there is some DSP involved...

....which makes sense.

MM

pauliander
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member

Hello MM,

Being interested in the BS Core myself, is there any info available on the quality of its internal DAC?

I am very interested in the product and would like to use it with my Beolab 5 speakers.

Until now I have fed the BL 5 with a direct coaxial signal from Sonos connect or my TV via a manual switch.

The BS Core would provide a straightforward solution alowing me to switch from Sonos to B&O for music while accepting digital in from my TV.

However I would need to use powerlink cables I believe and not use the BL5s internal DAC anymore.

This made me all thinking about the quality of my BL5 DAC dating from 2005 vis-à-vis the new BS Core 2017 DAC....

Thank you for sharing any thoughts on that!

Rudi Pedersen
Top 500 Contributor
Herning, Denmark
Posts 125
Bronze Member

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Core behave in the same way as old B&O products in terms of connecting to Beolab 5.

I have bought a Core now and will try to make the PowerLink connection but also the digital connection. I will take the optical out from the core and add a converter in between so the optical is converted to SPDIF for Beolab 5.

The speaker - will that run for Option 0 or Option 1 ?

(I am waiting for the converter to come, so can't test right now)

Additional question: would a low noice power supply for the Core gives better sound like I did when I had the Auralic Mini ?

Thanks for ideas

BR Rudi

pauliander
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member

Rudi, I don't have the answer to your questions but I am very interested in these as well.

What I know is that in contrast to the BL5 the Core can convert high res audio files up to 192 kHz.

However, the question is whether the DAC of the Core in sound quality at least matches that of the built-in DAC of the BL5. 

To me this is not clear because B&O has installed an optical output on the Core.

Also, DACs have evolved considerably the last decade while the BL5 date from early 2000s.

If you could do a comparison on the Core using PL and digital out to the BL5 we may get more insights on this. Ideally I would like to know whether high res converted by Core to Pl sounds better than standard red book udio digitally fed to BL5.

Any feedback or thoughts on that are seriously appreciated.

Regards from Gent!

Rudi Pedersen
Top 500 Contributor
Herning, Denmark
Posts 125
Bronze Member

Hi

I have an update on this issue. Not positive right now.

I connected via powerlink, and the sound was not good - noisy. I contacted B&O and they had an sad answer. (I wonder if they have kicked out all test people as in older days, they were more tuff on testing products before shipping to market)

The conclusion for now is - problem using powerlink. I have now connected digital with a converter in between (optical to SPDIF). The Beolab 5 is the controlled by an Essence remote.

It would be much better if the volume control works on the app.

Hmmm...the Core is new, so we are getting used to wait many months before the product actually works well.

BR Rudi

***** Summary *****
KE16990: BeoSound Core - When BeoLab 5 is connected a "turntable noise" is heard in the tweeter

***** Question *****
When BeoLab 5 is connected to a BeoSound Core via Powerlink, noise is heard in the tweeter.

The noise sounds like a turntable.

***** Answer *****

Workarround:
We have tested different workaround, but unfortunately there is not a suitable solution. 

Resolution:
We are working on a solution to this problem.

pauliander
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member
pauliander replied on Sun, Nov 26 2017 12:44 PM

Thank you for your feedback Rudi.

That's sad news because the product does not deliver on its promise then.

If the Core would have a good DAC and no problems with the powerlink connection I would be willing to ditch my Sonos Connect.

B&O should take this seriously because an improved interface can be a game changer for a lot of B&O users which currently use Sonos.

I know that several people on the forum don't believe in high res streaming but it's out there now with Tidal and I want it. Why settle with less if it's available for streaming now.

Sonos can't play it and I want it on my Beolabs: Beolab 5s, Pentas and soon also the Beolab 18.

I am ready to change from Sonos to B&O and I'm pretty sure I am not the only one...

Regards!

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 26 2017 2:11 PM

So the dac isn't good from quality

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
I experimented with Core for nearly 2 months with the Beolab 90s and it was very troublesome and not fit for purpose. It kept freezing and wouldn’t allow you to change tracks on Deezer Elite Hifi or from my NAS smoothly. It dropped artwork, it wouldn’t fast forward through tracks, it wouldn’t load tracks into play queue and would just stop responding suddenly. It was terrible. I then used Roon on my laptop via USB and as well as Roon being the most beautiful and responsive piece of music software around it never missed a step and ran smoothly 100% of the time. I got a full refund and glad I tried it but it’s astronomically far from complete and deeply underperforming at the moment.

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 26 2017 3:00 PM

Oke....then i wait a little longer

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 26 2017 4:01 PM

Airplay2 can that be implanted bij sw updates or will it be a new device

Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
Posts 57
Bronze Member

pauliander:

However I would need to use powerlink cables I believe and not use the BL5s internal DAC anymore.

This made me all thinking about the quality of my BL5 DAC dating from 2005 vis-à-vis the new BS Core 2017 DAC....

From reading the BL5 technical manual on this site, when feeding the BL5 with PowerLink cables the internal process is PL -> converted to digital -> converted to analogue -> speakers. The SPDIF connection goes straight to the middle of this sequence, so it goes SPDIF -> converted to analogue -> speakers.

Therefore I think that by using the Powerlink input to the BL5 you are in fact adding an extra DAC conversion step. But I have another idea....

BV6-26, BV7-40, BL7.4, BL3, BL5, BS9000, BC1, ES1, Beo4, BeoPort

Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
Posts 57
Bronze Member

Questions about the Core:

• can the optical input be passed through to the NetLink ie the Ethernet cable?
  • can this source then be used anywhere on the NetLink?
  • can you have more than one Core in a multi-room set-up?
  • how expensive is the Core compared to a ML/NL converter?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Dec 7 2017 10:26 AM
Beer_Baron:

Questions about the Core:

1. can the optical input be passed through to the NetLink ie the Ethernet cable?

2. can this source then be used anywhere on the NetLink?

3. can you have more than one Core in a multi-room set-up?

4. how expensive is the Core compared to a ML/NL converter?

1. I don’t know but I doubt it

2. If it is possible I guess so but again I suspect not

3. I hustled the Core joining my Essence II, and vice versa — as both units were in the same there was dissonance, clearly from one to the other via WiFi introduced a delay. So I tested both ways, and they both had a lag. Also because I was using WiFi with a poor signal, the 2nd unit always experienced choppiness. So I think the answer to this question is YES Smile

4. My recollection of the BLC’s price a year or more ago with the Core’s price is that the Core is less expensive (one can never say “cheap” with B&O Big Smile)

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
@BeerBaron

elephant:

3. can you have more than one Core in a multi-room set-up?

4. how expensive is the Core compared to a ML/NL converter?

1. I don’t know but I doubt it

2. If it is possible I guess so but again I suspect not

3. I hustled the Core joining my Essence II, and vice versa — as both units were in the same there was dissonance, clearly from one to the other via WiFi introduced a delay. So I tested both ways, and they both had a lag. Also because I was using WiFi with a poor signal, the 2nd unit always experienced choppiness. So I think the answer to this question is YES

Today I tested (rather than hustled! silly autocorrect) the Core and Essence together with a 3rd destination in the network (via my BLC) and it all worked fine - no buffering issues.

So now my YES is an absolutely!

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Dec 9 2017 8:38 AM

Beer_Baron:
can the optical input be passed through to the NetLink ie the Ethernet cable?

can this source then be used anywhere on the NetLink?

In order to work properly, the Core will probably be connected to the home network (via an ethernet cable or WiFi). Hence, the Core will be "visible" on the network (and then could be used as a source). This is the reason why you can "join" it/to it.

You don't have to "send the music out of the Core" from its optical output to the network to stream on your network.

Or I didn't understand your need?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Dec 9 2017 12:57 PM
Christophe is correct

Perhaps if I show how this configuration is wired ?

(Difficult in ASCII !)

BS4

||

|| ML

||

BV8

||

|| ML

||

BLC NL/ML (called BeoLink in the image)

|

| Ethernet

|

Router(connected to internet)

: wireless | Ethernet

: |

: Core (called Sitting Room above)

:

Essence (called BeoSittingRoom in the above image)

BeoNut since '75

Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
Posts 57
Bronze Member
Beer_Baron replied on Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:46 AM

Rudi Pedersen:

I have bought a Core now and will try to make the PowerLink connection but also the digital connection. I will take the optical out from the core and add a converter in between so the optical is converted to SPDIF for Beolab 5.

The speaker - will that run for Option 0 or Option 1 ?

Rudi, how did this experiment go with getting high quality streaming to the BL5?

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 320
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Fri, Mar 2 2018 8:53 AM

elephant:
Christophe is correct

Perhaps if I show how this configuration is wired ?

Elephant, do you experience any lag in your setup when sending masterlink sound to the Core or the Essence? And how about vice versa?

I remember last year, there was some talk in another thread about a Core skii with IR-eye capability. Has anybody picked up any news on this?

Also, is the BeoRemote One able to control the Core?

Our friends in Manchester have a new video up on the Core, but nothing we didn't already know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYZuEQioEg 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
StKong:

Elephant, do you experience any lag in your setup when sending masterlink sound to the Core or the Essence? And how about vice versa?

None that my ears have detected.

I did buy the delay device but I have never had to use it.

BeoNut since '75

Shane
Not Ranked
Australia
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Shane replied on Tue, May 1 2018 4:30 AM

Hi all,

I’m a newby to this forum so please be kind. :)

I’m due to receive a pair of BeoLab 20’s and Beosound Core in th next few days. I will connect optical out from my LG TV to the optical in on the core. I will then connect both speakers with PL (cat 7 Ethernet) cables. I’m hoping it will be straight forward to control streaming and volume using the B&O app.

I would like to control volume using the TV remote sometimes, however. The dealer said I would need to purchase a B&O remote and beoeye, which would set me back 700 AUD (approx 550 USD). Seems excessive just to control volume, even by B&O standards. I read that the RCV-3000 IR receiver can plug into the USB port of the Beolab Transmitter 1. Does anyone know if it will work directly into the Beosound Core USB port?

the RCV3000 supposedly works with modern TVs including LG.

50 USD would be much better than 550USD!! 

If it doesn’t work, I might buy a Transmitter and connect it to the optical out of the Core. It will probably set me back the same amount but would give me WISA wireless capability. 

Thanks for for any advice 

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

RCV3000 only Works with IR, so the newest LG will not Work as they use Bluetooth.

Then you could choose a tv with regulated optical output as Sony.

What I would do, would be purchase an Essense remote, which also would be handy when you use the core for music.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, May 1 2018 6:54 AM

Shane:
I’m due to receive a pair of BeoLab 20’s and Beosound Core in th next few days

Welcome on Beoworld Shane and congratulations Smile

I think the Beoplay S8 connection hub may be an other solution for what you want to do (to be confirmed by others)

Please make a search on this forum about LG remote and S8 (the Connection Hub learns the IR commands from your TV remote)

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

You do not have audio connections as spotify, Airplay and so on, in the connection hub. So I would not go that way.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Emil Jensen:

What I would do, would be purchase an Essense remote, which also would be handy when you use the core for music.

+1

MM

alee
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
alee replied on Tue, Jul 10 2018 7:08 PM

Has there been any update to the BS Core/BL5 compatibility issue?  I’m looking at buying a core to integrate my BL5s with the rest of my AV system. Right now I’m using my BS9K (aux in) to send audio from my TV and M50.2 to the BL5s. 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi alee,

As far as I am aware, there is no change to B&O's "workaround" with the optical to co-axial converter still being needed between the Core and the Beolab 5 speakers.  For your setup, I would suggest keeping the Beolab 5s connected to the Beosound 9000 and linking the Core to the Aux input socket with this cable:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/playmaker-and-essence-wireless-streaming/rj45-to-aux-input-cable-airplay-on-your-bo-system

Your TV can then connect to the 3.5mm combined optical/analogue input of the Core to share the speakers.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

alee
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
alee replied on Wed, Jul 11 2018 9:20 PM

So Powerlink Core->BL5 is still bad?  That's shocking.

Page 1 of 2 (57 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS