Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Wishes for Beolab 5, 10-year anniversary edition

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

kimchr
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
kimchr Posted: Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:04 PM

The 10 year anniversary of the Beolab 5 is coming up in 2013. Still going strong after 10 years, we do, from time to time, read about users asking for updates of various aspects on this speaker.

Should B&O decide to make a special X-edition celebrating it's ten year birthday, we might as well let them have our input.

Spinning off the thread ”Second hand BL5s older than promised” I will start with the humble wish:

"No blinking green lights when using factory  preset for bass calibration" - or at least stop blinking after a few minutes, please!

if none of the above is possible please sync the blinks using the sync cable. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:24 PM

I was told that there would be a new speaker that will site above the BL5s, later this year. So, I guess this might fulfil your wishes?

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:39 PM

Lee and I heard a prototype - it moved a lot of air!

Peter

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:46 PM

Peter:

Lee and I heard a prototype - it moved a lot of air!

Lee or the prototype?

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

2003 prices!

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Beolab
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Bronze Member
Beolab replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 1:12 AM

So there is a indication that the b&o will present them during late 2012 or earlier?? !! =)

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 2:42 AM

I hope the Lab 5's successor comes out soon, that way second hand Lab 5s can depreciate enough so I can buy a set!

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Beo4 'til I die!

John
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
Posts 321
Bronze Member
John replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 3:03 AM

moxxey:

I was told that there would be a new speaker that will site above the BL5s, later this year. So, I guess this might fulfil your wishes?

Goodness!  May I ask if you heard this from 'someone in the know' re an informed source, or is it rumour and speculation?

I'm not doubting your word mind, but as a potential Lab 5 buyer, I like to know what may be around the corner so to speak.

Regards

John... Cool

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

My wish for an update on the Lab 5 would be:

- a real-time auto-calibration, instead of the ABC on demand, I think it is now possible to equalize the whole spectrum for a perfectly flat & resonance-free sound reproduction.

- on the cosmetic side, maybe more colours or customizable frets (at this price, it wouldn't ruin the company)Smile

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:29 AM

John:

moxxey:

Goodness!  May I ask if you heard this from 'someone in the know' re an informed source, or is it rumour and speculation?

I was told by my dealer that they had been told that B&O are working on a new speaker that sits above the BL5. No idea of ETA, price or anything.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Christophe :
I think it is now possible to equalize the whole spectrum for a perfectly flat & resonance-free sound reproduction.

That'll never work unless they stick the calibration microphones inside your ears and prevent you from moving Big Smile

Automatic (or even non-automatic) room equalization only makes sense when the wavelength is long enough that the resulting audio field is similar throughout the listening space.

I'm sure there are still ways to improve the existing bass levelling, though.

--mika

kimchr
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
kimchr replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 8:45 AM

Until B&O is able to make a perfect calibration in every possible room, which will probably never happen I wish:

"You could disable or manipulate the EQ yourself"

For example by accessing a built in webserver using an RJ45/powerlink connection or wifi.

Lars
Top 500 Contributor
Munich
Posts 146
Bronze Member
Lars replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:51 PM

Evan:

I hope the Lab 5's successor comes out soon, that way second hand Lab 5s can depreciate enough so I can buy a set!

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Haha Evan, 

same here. I am not going to lay down 40k for speakers. But i really would like to have some Beolab5. 

Lets see what happens. Maybe there is coming something earlier then we all expect. 

Gift fingers crossed Gift

BS9000, BC6, BC2, BL3, BL11, BL3500, BL2000, BeoTime, Beo EarSet2 3i, Beo, BEO DropStop, BEO Bottle Opener, BeoCom5 including Table Stand, ATV

Christmas Prize Draw 1st Winner 2010 - THANKS A LOT!!!

Struer Trip 2012 - THANKS A LOT!!!

GuyHUI
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, FRANCE
Posts 1,597
Bronze Member
GuyHUI replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:18 AM

Yeah, I agree too, that will a good opportunity for me too to get those great loudspeakers Big Smile

BV10 46" - BL5 to come... BS Ouverture, BC6000, BT1100

Old sold : BV Avant 28", BL8000 - BL4000 - BL2

carlito
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 239
Bronze Member
carlito replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:59 AM

Dear community

A few weeks ago i had the chance to buy a pair of Beolab 5 from a closing down B&O shop for a nice price (less than a pair of brandnew Beolab 9). The speakers are 4 years old and in mint condition. The sound fantastic as we know. My only wish is, that they open the digital input not only with the “CD” command. Now i use them as “non B&O” setup, means i have to switch on the speakers with LINK – RADIO. To Most time i feed them with Lossless Files from my Mac Mini. Have installed a digital hub – the Cambridge DacMagic Plus (Beocenter 2 and Airport Express are also connected to the DacMagic)  

Still smiling when listen to the 5’s....

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member

tournedos:

That'll never work unless they stick the calibration microphones inside your ears and prevent you from moving Big Smile

Apparently the new speakers will be supplied complete with a calibration hat that wirelessly transmits correction factors to the speakers from your listening position.

Ban boring signatures!

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 9:28 PM

I always felt that placing the microphone for the adaptive bass control on the speaker itself is kind of strange. I'm by no means an expert on the subject of acoustics, but I guess the acoustic properties of the place where you actually listen to the music, that is basically where you're ears are located in the space, are different from those properties on the place where the sounds comes from. So a microphone you can place anywhere that is connected with a wire to the speaker seems like a better idea to me. It's less fancy I admit.

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:05 AM

beocool:
I always felt that placing the microphone for the adaptive bass control on the speaker itself is kind of strange. I'm by no means an expert on the subject of acoustics, but I guess the acoustic properties of the place where you actually listen to the music, that is basically where you're ears are located in the space, are different from those properties on the place where the sounds comes from.

That is true, but the importance of the exact location diminishes as the audio wavelength gets longer, i.e frequency getting lower. That's why the equalization in the Beolabs doesn't even try to do anything above a certain frequency (I think I've seen 300 Hz mentioned, but don't read that as a fact).

There have been plenty of automatic equalizers over there years, and none of them worked well apart from low frequencies. B&O could've well implemented an interface for an external calibration microphone, but I guess tinkering with such things really isn't part of the "B&O experience" most of the clientele is expecting, and the result probably wouldn't have been any better. I'm sure they tried plenty of options during the development.

--mika

Knubbi
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Knubbi replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 9:46 PM

Three wishes:

1. Auto-sense/switch inputs

2. Auto-sense/switch inputs, really!

3. Covers for the tweeters to protect against notoriously curious little kid's fingers. Tweeter domes are kid magnets.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS