Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4002 tonearm squeaks on return.

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

hammer_smyth
Not Ranked
NYC
Posts 29
Bronze Member
hammer_smyth Posted: Thu, Nov 1 2012 10:49 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a Beogram 4002. It's in great condition and works fine, except for one issue.

When the tonearm returns to its rest position, an audible squeaking sound can be heard.

Instead of describing the problem, I've recorded a video:

http://youtu.be/HKWLTLTtUrg

As you can see in the video, the squeak is present when the arm returns 'automatically'. In the video, I return the arm manually using the control panel. When I do this, no sound is present.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is this fixable?

Regards,

Hamish

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Just did my recently purchased BG4002 in almost mind condition.

There are some grease problems at the back of the BG4002. Most grease is hardened and the arm that moves the needle inside has to be cleaned and given some new grease.

There is some kind of ball-bearing which seats/captured behind a piece plastic that makes this noise.

Also at the back are 2 axes that has to be overhauled. The arms that are moved by the magnet-coils doesn't move at the right speed when the needle is lowered.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:51 PM

The platter sits very low. Has the three transport safety screws been released ?
That could indeed cause something to rub against something else inside when playing.

I noticed, the deck didn't switch to 45 RPM speed when no 12-inch record was found.
This typically indicates dried out tantal capacitors on the main board. Often 1C20 and 1C21
but it depends on the exact deck version and it would make sense to replace the lot (kits exists for
most deck versions).

Martin

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures Can't make pictures and pointing at things Wink.

hammer_smyth
Not Ranked
NYC
Posts 29
Bronze Member

Martin,

You're right, the platter is low. I've just opened it up and will adjust the platter height and see if that makes a difference.

That is strange that it didn't switch speeds when no 12 inch was found. Every other time I try, it switches just fine. Weird that it didn't do it when I made the video. Regardless, I guess the capacitors should probably be replaced.

I'll report back on the platter height situation.

Thanks,

Hamish

hammer_smyth
Not Ranked
NYC
Posts 29
Bronze Member

Beobuddy:

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures Can't make pictures and pointing at things Wink.

I didn't see any pictures in your post, did you try and attach them?

Edit: now I see it, thanks.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Beobuddy:

There is some kind of ball-bearing which seats/captured behind a piece plastic that makes this noise.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Beobuddy:

Also at the back are 2 axes that has to be overhauled. The arms that are moved by the magnet-coils doesn't move at the right speed when the needle is lowered.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Beobuddy:

And the second one.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

hammer_smyth:

Martin,

That is strange that it didn't switch speeds when no 12 inch was found. Every other time I try, it switches just fine. Weird that it didn't do it when I made the video. Regardless, I guess the capacitors should probably be replaced.

It  pays really to become a silver or gold member.

Several service manuals with the above discribed problems can be found in these manuals.

Also some kind of improvements are mentioned for several BG4002 versions.

hammer_smyth
Not Ranked
NYC
Posts 29
Bronze Member

Update:

Problem solved.

Adjusting the platter height didn't fix the noise, but it's now at the correct height—thanks for noticing that Martin (luckily this was the first time I've used the unit, so no damage has been caused).

I ended up figuring out that applying a small amount of pressure on the wheel pictured below stopped the noise.

A drop of lubricant where the wheel meets the shaft did the trick.

Thank you all for the advice.

Hamish

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

As you have the deck open, clean of all old grease and hardened oil, and lubricate where needed. and think about changing caps and belts, Martin can provide the correct ones

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:57 PM

It is worth stripping the mech. as said above also re-inforce the pulley bush with some metal sheet (I wrap a thin grade round and glue) and 2-pack glue because it will eventually crack, if it hasn't done so already!!!

A belt off Martin would be a good call too :)

Olly

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS