Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Sotheby’s + Bang & Olufsen

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 1 Follower

mrCTE
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Bronze Member
poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 1:06 PM

R&D and Brand Management really stepping up their game; Limited edition colors at ultra-premium-precious hoped-for prices by luxury auction house! BeoPlay should do something similar on Ebay. If it works, maybe the Marketing Department will be invited to do a TED Talk? 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 2:16 PM
Wonder if that are the units that was shown in connection with the release of Beosound 1. Recall a picture from a tradeshow or similar.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

mrCTE
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Bronze Member
mrCTE replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 3:32 PM

Amazing shout @hiort! 

That’s a rather interesting course of action for the company to take if that is indeed the case.

mrCTE
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Bronze Member

Amazing shout @hiort! 

That’s a rather interesting course of action for the company to take if that is indeed the case.

mrCTE
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Bronze Member

Amazing shout @hiort! 

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 4:49 PM

The description in the listing says made in August 2016 for color trials, displayed at IFA, and then displayed at B and O headquarters.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 245
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 6:25 PM
I saw them on Instagram.

To be honest I would expect an auction like this to be in aid of a charity. Are B&O so short of cash that they need to sell off any silverware lying around the house?
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 8:23 PM

Can a Swarovski crystal covered one be far behind?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

They do look nice in real life.

Should we start guessing, how high the price will be?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member
MediaBobNY replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 10:39 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Same cosmetic condition description for each:

There are several scratches on the surface of the  aluminium. The  aluminium components did not undergo final polishing and they maintain a matte finish, and may contain minor irregularities in color. Color has not been UV tested; direct exposure to sun may cause fading.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

MediaBobNY:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Same cosmetic condition description for each:

There are several scratches on the surface of the  aluminium. The  aluminium components did not undergo final polishing and they maintain a matte finish, and may contain minor irregularities in color. Color has not been UV tested; direct exposure to sun may cause fading.

Oh!

I was considering them (orange)... but not if it can't be guaranteed not to maintain the appearance 

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

any publicity is good publicity. Hopefully a couple strangers to the brand see it and have a bud..

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Rob.B:

any publicity is good publicity. Hopefully a couple strangers to the brand see it and have a bud..

true

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Sat, Jun 30 2018 1:06 PM

So these are actually the test mules from a publicity shoot? If so, B&O are clearing out the attic at Sotheby's. I guess that will bring a better price than an estate sale.

And MM, surely somebody will open the wallet to buy one-of-a kind, B&O/Sparkle test mules with non-spec or guaranteed finish. But why? Wonder what they could get for Geoff Martin's signed Macbook? Who will hold out for the auction of the BeoSound 2's in the pic?

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

poodleboy:

So these are actually the test mules from a publicity shoot? If so, B&O are clearing out the attic at Sotheby's. I guess that will bring a better price than an estate sale.

And MM, surely somebody will open the wallet to buy one-of-a kind, B&O/Sparkle test mules with non-spec or guaranteed finish. But why? Wonder what they could get for Geoff Martin's signed Macbook? Who will hold out for the auction of the BeoSound 2's in the pic?

Oh my 😱😱😱

😂😂

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

poodleboy:

And MM, surely somebody will open the wallet to buy one-of-a kind, B&O/Sparkle test mules with non-spec or guaranteed finish. But why? Wonder what they could get for Geoff Martin's signed Macbook? 

Some people collect watches, others matchboxes - why shouldn’t there be a costumer for ‘test mules’?

Btw - how did ‘Geoff Martin’s signed Macbook’ join this party?

MM

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Sat, Jun 30 2018 9:21 PM

Millemissen:

poodleboy:

And MM, surely somebody will open the wallet to buy one-of-a kind, B&O/Sparkle test mules with non-spec or guaranteed finish. But why? Wonder what they could get for Geoff Martin's signed Macbook? 

Some people collect watches, others matchboxes - why shouldn’t there be a costumer for ‘test mules’?

Btw - how did ‘Geoff Martin’s signed Macbook’ join this party?

MM

Oh MM, ye of gentle spirit and unwavering hope, how in the world can a company justify selling off it's JUNK as collectible? And you, truly a gentleman, wonder just how much they might get for it. So I suggested this is an attempt to get some value via the collectible route. It is a bit rogue-ish of them, don't you think, when you are truly being honest? But if they are that desperate (or arrogant) wouldn't Geoff's computer be, then, as valuable to a BeoPhile as a signed Messi (or Reynaldo) sweater would be to a fan in Buenos Aires (or Lisbon)? Losing shouldn't matter too much at the end of the day.

Yes, the logic might be a tad flawed, but that wasn't the point now, was it? 

Maybe a better auction item would be an original functioning BeoSound 3? Or betting the over/under on the BeoApp being competent before the "next big thing" is introduced. I do, however, LOVE the idea of doing it for charity, provided B&O Board is not the charity. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@poodleboy

How do you know who is the seller - I did not see that mentioned anywhere.

Maybe you have some inside knowledge there.......or are you just guessing?

And do tell us a bit more about the BeoSound 3.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Jul 1 2018 12:17 AM

http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/by-design.html

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jul 1 2018 12:19 AM

What next? Turning The Cube into luxury lofts?

Jeff

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Sun, Jul 1 2018 12:30 AM
Any old junk can be put up for auction.
MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Millemissen:
How do you know who is the seller - I did not see that mentioned anywhere.

Here.  

"You Will Never See These Five Colors Again 
Coming directly from Bang & Olufsen’s headquarters in Struer, Denmark, the five speakers are not available on the market and will never be reproduced. Although originally produced as one-offs for a trade show, these were not hastily made samples..."

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Jul 1 2018 9:48 AM

Next up will be the office furniture where the engineering staff used to sit!

Ban boring signatures!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Why not customize anodize one yourself? That will also be one of a kind. And you can get the color you want. And no scratches Big Smile

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

This looks more like the culmination of a PR offensive from B&O http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/blogs/all-blogs/sotheby-s-at-large/2018/02/-bang-olufsen-design-conscious-consumers.html

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Well done B&O for creating an association in the minds of their clientele with other fine design http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/by-design.html

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Jul 1 2018 6:34 PM
Simonbeo:

Well done B&O for creating an association in the minds of their clientele with other fine design http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/by-design.html

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

I thought the same as you, when I posted the same link earlier in this thread.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

This is also what I thought after reading the link that MediaBob posted.

That might be worth more, than what the sale of these samles will bring.

MM

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Razlaw:
Simonbeo:

Well done B&O for creating an association in the minds of their clientele with other fine design http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/by-design.html

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

I thought the same as you, when I posted the same link earlier in this thread.

Yes. I thought it deserved an explanation!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Jeff:

What next? Turning The Cube into luxury lofts?

The Cube is not for sale.

It is part of and used by the partners of the new Soundhub company in Struer.

https://soundhub.dk/

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 1:28 AM

Tak kaptajn pedantisk.

Jeff

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 10:00 AM

Simonbeo:

Well done B&O for creating an association in the minds of their clientele with other fine design http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/by-design.html

Maybe, but I think you're reading a bit too much in to this - both B&O and BeoPlay has always released colours to reflect the seasons and people's tastes. Secondly, these custom colour BeoSound 1's aren't a new range or a reaction, they are one-off demo units which they are now *not* going to manufacture, so ironically this kind of counteracts the article.

Shame, as I'd have liked a matt-finished BeoSound 2. When they first promoted these matt finishes, I was waiting for a range to appear soon after!

mrCTE
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Bronze Member
mrCTE replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 3:33 PM

moxxey:
they are one-off demo units which they are now *not* going to manufacture, so ironically this kind of counteracts the article.

Wait, so no more BeoSound1? Or do you mean no more BeoSound 1 in the featured demo colours in the sale?

expoman
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Silver Member
expoman replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 1:26 AM

Interesting to see that David Lewis is listed as the designer with Torsten Valuer.  Since David died in November of 2011 do you think he ever worked on this product concept?  Did David ever design a coffee or pepper grinder?  Perhaps used for Torsten's inspiration? Big Smile

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

"Designer: Torsten Valuer, David Lewis Designers"

Torsten is the head designer at DLD.  

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
MediaBobNY:

"Designer: Torsten Valuer, David Lewis Designers"

Torsten is the head designer at DLD.

Did he design the BeoSound 5?
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 9:26 PM
StUrrock:

Did he design the BeoSound 5?

No. Anders Hermansen did that.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 10:02 PM
Hiort:

No. Anders Hermansen did that.

Has he been sacked?
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219