Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Mr Roasts BG4000

rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 2 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Well....Dave dropped his BG4000 off on his way up north, seems it was ignoring the presence of a disc on the platter and the tone arm continued on to the centre and returned....I haven't been able to get it to reproduce this fault so as I now have a fully functional 4000 of my own, and as Sonavor suggested I will carry out some comparison tests...Daves machine on the left. 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

There can be seen one or two design tweeks between them...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

My slightly older version....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Hooked them both up to my analogue scope, I bought a PC Scope off ebay recently and its rubbish! the drivers wont load and I suspect it was designed for 32bit systems and wont run on my 64bit laptop....disappointing Angry

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

This is the trace I get from both machines measuring at the input from the Voltiac cell, Photocell in my case....not a good pic, but as can be seen not a lot of difference.

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 1:00 PM
Interesting seeing the subtle changes during the production of a specific model. Like with the 6000 amp - the one you sorted for me didn’t have a LED illumination on the front aluminium panel whereas the other one I’ve got does.
Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

My BM6000 doesn't have any LED's either.....Collector of TR14 on both units, again very similar traces

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Base of TR16 still very similar, though Daves does look a bit ragged....amplitude is the same however

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 3:57 PM

Well Dave...cant replicate the issue you had, I will re assemble everything and keep trying between now and when you come to collect it....but everything is working faultlessly, I'm peased to say!

Craig

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Mon, Jan 21 2019 8:18 PM
Cheers Craig - I should have taken a video of it misbehaving, now I look like a loon Big Smile

Maybe this is a symptom of the Beovirus Wink
Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Well Dave.....moved your 4000 off my worktable and deposited it alongside my 4400, connected everything up album on the platter and switched her on only to be treated to a tone arm gliding majestically across the album completely ignoring its existence!....all I did was move it from one table to another. Lifted her back onto the work table and the symptoms where repeating over and over...aluminium plates off, visual inspection revealed nothing, no loose wires or anything hanging off. removed the position indicate/slider switch plate followed by the control panel...switch plate replaced switched on again and everything back to normal and working fine. had a look under the cover...…...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Examination of the forward/fast forward switch suggested there was not a lot of play between the switch plate and the brass contact, this has one of the plastic nipples I built up when last I had this open thinking it had worn down excessively......

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

With the help of one of Debbies nail file cards I reduced the amount of material on the nipple, there is now a slight hysteresis between the contact and the switch plate that I suspect will clear the problem....I will re assemble and continue the trial period

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Mon, Jan 21 2019 10:05 PM
Ahh - so I’m not going mad! Phew - thought I might be losing it Big Smile
Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Well Dave.....been playing this all week and the only issue I could identify was a dodgy 5 pin DIN plug, seems it didn't like my 4400....but was quite happy with the BL5000, sounds odd I know but jiggling the cable when connected to the 4400 gave all kinds of stuttering and a grounding issue sort of humming....so I cut  it off and fitted a new one...sounds great on all amplifiers now!

Craig

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sat, Jan 26 2019 11:17 AM

Thumbs Up Cheers Craig! I can't wait till I can get everything set up in the new house - I'm having serious Beowithdrawal at the moment!

Page 3 of 3 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS