Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Apple TV 4/4K Siri remote and Beovision

rated by 0 users
This post has 72 Replies | 6 Followers

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp Posted: Fri, Aug 17 2018 5:21 PM

This post was made to sum up on findings from other forum threads to keep the information in one place.

Note: I have not found any documentation from Apple regarding control of B&O TV's. All things listed here is from my own and other forum members observations of the behavior when using the Apple TV and the Siri remote with a Beovision or Beoplay TV. I would like to thank forum member Elephant for his findings that has lead me to experiment further in to these functions. Also  big thank to forum member Guy who has supplied with a lot of usefull info. There might be more functions that can be used that I have yet to discover. If you know something not mentioned here please respond in the thread and I will try to update with all information.

I have an Apple TV 4 with 1. gen remote and have only tried it on that myself. I have confirmed that the IR commands transmitted from the 1. Gen Siri remote are the same as from my BEO4 remote with an IR Trans receiver connected to my computer.

As most of you might already know the Apple TV from all generations can be controlled with a B&O remote control via a Beovision or Beoplay TV with PUC codes for the Apple TV remote and a PUC cable with an IR eye attached to the Apple TV's IR receiver.

What you might not know is that the Siri remote 1. gen from the Apple TV 4 also can do a few controls of a Beovision or Beoplay TV.

With the introduction of the Apple TV 4 in 2015 it is possible to use the Siri remote to turn on and off TV's via HDMI-CEC and control volume either via HDMI-CEC or with IR from the Siri remote.

Since B&O TV's doesn't have HDMI-CEC the controls are done with the IR eye in the Siri remote.

It is confirmed in more cases that this functionality will work with a firmware versions 0x0245 and 0x0257 in the Siri remote 1 gen. 

It is also confirmed by forums user Guy that the Siri remote 2. gen with firmware versions 0x0116 and 0x0118 does not have the ability to transmit B&O IR commands. The 2. gen remote can be regocnised by the white circle around the Menu button.

Note that the 2. generation Siri remote is shipped with both the Apple TV HD (formerly knowns as Apple TV 4) and the Apple TV 4K so only way yo get the 1. gen Siri remote is buying it used.

1) setup on Apple TV.

In the settings menu/app on the Apple TV go remotes and devices enable the functions:

- Turn on your TV with your remote (if it is a TV with DVI port this option will probably be grayed out)

- Volume control: Auto via IR (TV). Note that this option can be grayed out if the Apple TV don't register the brand of the TV with a handshake. This can for example be due to use of an HDMI audio extractor in between the TV and the Apple TV

2) Setup on B&O TV

The Apple TV remote can only send the source command TV. In order to use this function properly you have to assign the TV source command to the HDMI port used with the Apple TV. On some Beovision TV's this is not be possible when a TV tuner is in use. If this is the case or if you like to use the TV command for another source it is better not to activate this function to avoid weird behavior. On older TV's with only DVI port to connect the Apple TV to the source is usually fixed to the B&O IR command PC. 

3) Turn on the TV with the Siri remote.

A press on any of the hard buttons on the Siri remote should make the remote send the TV IR signal even when an Apple TV is not connected.

Sometimes for unknown reasons the Siri remote is not sending the IR signal. I have tried to receive the signal with the IR receiver connected to my computer in these cases, and is not able to pick up an IR signal.

On other forums where other TV brands are discussed some people have suggested that the home button should be hold down for up to 5 seconds or be pressed three times in a row. I haven't seen a pattern where this applies for my B&O TV.

4) Turn off the TV with the Siri remote.

This requires the Apple TV to be connected and turned on. On the Siri remote press and hold the Home button. In the submenu presented press sleep. After the Apple TV has gone to sleep keep pointing the remote at the TV's IR receiver for a few more seconds. The IR signal will first be sent after the Apple TV is gone to sleep. If you fail to keep the remote pointed at the TV for long enough the TV will keep running but with a black screen. On a Beoplay V1 it will signal the loss of signal from the Apple TV with the Green LED beside the IR receiver lightning up for a moment.

To clarify how this works try to press the menu button on the BEO4 remote so there is a B&O menu overlay over the Apple TV interface. Do the above procedure and you will se that the Apple TV interface disapeers and a few minutes later the TV turns off.  

Is some cases my experience is that the TV will turn on right after it has started turning off. I Assume this might be because the Siri remote is sending the TV IR command when the remote is pressed to choose sleep.

5) Control volume on the TV with the Siri remote.

Press the + or – button's to turn up or down volume. This also works without the Apple TV connected and turned on.

I have not experienced any problems with the volume control function of the Siri remote.

6) Turn on the TV with airplay from an iPhone og iPad

When an airplay signal (music or video) is sent from and iPhone or an iPad to the Apple TV the Apple TV will relay a turn on command to the Siri remote which will then send a TV IR command to the TV.

For this to work the Siri remote must point at the TV and be connected to the Apple TV. If the Apple TV has been to sleep before the Airplay signal is sent the connection to the Siri remote is probably lost. Only way to reconnect the Siri remote is to activate one of the buttons. I have found that the connection can only be kept alive if the Apple TV is setup to newer go to sleep and the Siri remote is connected to a charging cable. (I have kept the connection alive for 10 hours over night in my trials).

Even when these precautions are taken this will not always work. I suspect that it might have to do with the missing IR signal I mentioned in point 3.

As you can see these functions are not stable and that might be the reason Apple has not mentioned B&O in their description of them.

I hope that this at least can be of use to some forum members and maybe help avoiding mystical behaviors introduced by the Siri remote

Edit 1: 20th. august 2018 Added information about TV's with DVI port

Edit 2: 12th. march 2019 Added information about turn on function and adjusted and clarified the information about the turn off function

Edit 3: 7th. of July 2019 Added information about limitations of control options with the use of HDMI audio extractors

Edit 4: 26th. of January 2020 Added information about firmware version of the Siri remote

Edit 5. 12th. of April 2020 Added information about the Siri remote second generation and added pictures of the remotes and Apple TV settings

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 10:41 PM
Thank you for consolidating everyone’s learnings

BeoNut since '75

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Aug 18 2018 9:03 AM

madskp:

1) setup on Apple TV.

In the settings menu/app on the Apple TV go remotes and devices enable the functions:

- Turn on your TV with your remote

- Volume control: Auto via IR (TV)

Many thanks for the useful summary.

Although I have no problems with volume control using the siri remote, the 'turn on your TV' function does not work for me.  This option is simply greyed out to 'off' in my settings.  Given that my ATV is connected to my BV6-26 via the DVI socket, I suspect that the ATV is missing some kind of hdmi 'handshake' in lieu of CEC.  I wouldn't use the 'turn on' function anyway because I need to select the PC input, but the ability to 'turn off' using the siri remote would be useful.

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sun, Aug 19 2018 6:18 PM

Guy:

Although I have no problems with volume control using the siri remote, the 'turn on your TV' function does not work for me.  This option is simply greyed out to 'off' in my settings.  Given that my ATV is connected to my BV6-26 via the DVI socket, I suspect that the ATV is missing some kind of hdmi 'handshake' in lieu of CEC.  I wouldn't use the 'turn on' function anyway because I need to select the PC input, but the ability to 'turn off' using the siri remote would be useful.

Nice update Guy. Thanks. Didn't even think of that situation when I wrote my summary. I will try to connect my Apple TV to a PC monitor with DVI and see how it reacts to that and update the thread with your information and my findings.  

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Aug 19 2018 6:49 PM

madskp:

Guy:

Nice update Guy. Thanks. Didn't even think of that situation when I wrote my summary. I will try to connect my Apple TV to a PC monitor with DVI and see how it reacts to that and update the thread with your information and my findings.  

Many thanks - I look forward to hearing your findings!

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Mon, Aug 20 2018 7:03 PM

Guy:

madskp:

Guy:

Many thanks - I look forward to hearing your findings!

Couldn't get it to wok with my PC monitor for some reason. But I updated the first post with your observations Guy. I will try again when I come near another monitor with DVI input. 

I think your might be right about the HDMI handshake. As far as i can find info this handshake will give some kind of manufactor information which might be what activates the B&O IR codes for startup in the Siri remote. But the Volume IR codes must be fixed. Could be fun to see if a brand new unpaired Siri remote would control volume on a B&O TV.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Aug 20 2018 7:47 PM

madskp:

I think your might be right about the HDMI handshake. As far as i can find info this handshake will give some kind of manufactor information which might be what activates the B&O IR codes for startup in the Siri remote. But the Volume IR codes must be fixed. Could be fun to see if a brand new unpaired Siri remote would control volume on a B&O TV.

I am not 100% sure, but I think my volume control starting working after an Apple TV software update.

Thanks for looking into all this - I am sure that many ATV users will find it very useful!

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Tue, Mar 12 2019 6:13 PM

Have just updated the first post in this thread with new info about the turn on and off functions

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2019 9:30 AM

Hi madskp,

I just wondered if your Siri remote is still able to control the Beovision volume.  I have just moved house and my volume control is not working.  I have exactly the same setup as before yet it's just not working!  What have I changed?

The ATV menu structure has also changed a little. I wonder if an ATV SW update has stopped the B&O volume control from working?  Any ideas?

Guy

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Wed, Jul 3 2019 4:31 PM
It still works on my setup. My first thought would be to check the remote control settings in the ATV settings menu. Should be set to auto for Volume control.
madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Wed, Jul 3 2019 4:34 PM
Are you using the same cables between the TV and the ATV as before?
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2019 9:38 PM

madskp:
It still works on my setup. My first thought would be to check the remote control settings in the ATV settings menu. Should be set to auto for Volume control.

Thanks, hopefully that rules out an Apple TV SW change.  And in answer to your subsequent question, I have tried lots of different cables, but actually can't be totally sure which ones I used before!  I have been setting up my BV6 with an STB and the ATV mounted behind the TV on STB brackets, hence most of the cables that I now want to use are much shorter.

I have tried the ATV volume control in both 'Auto' (which on selection shows as 'Auto (Off)') and I also tried 'TV by IR'.  Neither works to control the Beovision, and on checking with a phone camera only the latter is outputting any IR.

I have a new short hdmi cable arriving tomorrow so I'll try that, and if it doesn't work I'll try to work out which cables I used before!

Thanks for you'll help anyway.  Perhaps it will just start working later in the week like it did before … Smile

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Thu, Jul 4 2019 7:15 PM
On my ATV settings it says auto via IR (TV) so i guess it comes down to some kind of auto registrering of the connected TV via the HDMI cable. The wierd thing is how your setup got to do it in the first place.

Unfortunatly i havent had acces to a TV with DVI only to do further testing on this matter

Have you got another Beovision with HDMI you could try and connect it to to see if it adapts the settings that way?
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Jul 4 2019 7:53 PM

Is your ATV at IOS 12.3?

Unfortunately I do not have an hdmi equipped Beovision so I can't try connecting that. I haven't tried to find the orginal hdmi to dvi cable yet, but here's a screenshot of my Volume Control Options, and a shot of what is shown if I select simply 'Auto'.

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Fri, Jul 5 2019 2:45 PM
Yes i am on 12.3 too.

Here are the screenshots om mine in Danish, but i think you can see what its about
madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Fri, Jul 5 2019 2:45 PM

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Jul 5 2019 5:20 PM

Many thanks indeed for the photos - I am very busy this weekend but will have another play next week.

Have a good weekend, and thanks for your help - I will let you know if it starts working!

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 7:17 AM
Another thing that comes to mind. Have you tried powering up the TV and the ATV in a different sequence?

Try to cut the power to both and then let the TV power fully up before you connect the ATV to the mains again, and if that does not help try to do it the other way arround
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 8:01 AM

Thanks madskp!  Good suggestion -  I'll give that a try later!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 9:29 AM

Great news - I got it working!

The powering up sequence idea didn't change anything.  However, I went back to your 'different cables' suggestion.  I have been using an hdmi audio extractor between the ATV and the Beovision's DVI socket (to extract audio sound and remove hdcp), hence wondered if that caused a problem.  I therefore connected a different hdmi to DVI lead direct from ATV to the TV and powered it up.  Straight away the 'Control TV's and Receivers' had changed to 'Yes'.   Under 'Select Volume Control' I then selected 'TV by IR' (not 'Auto') and it started working!

So as you had said previously, there must be some sort of 'handshake' between the TV's DVI socket and the ATV's hdmi socket - this was clearly being blocked by the audio extractor.  Silly of me not to consider that earlier!

Many thanks for your help madskp - and I hope this knowledge is of use to others who are using the old Beovisions with Apple TVs and other more modern technology!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 9:40 AM

Further to my last, I think the reason that it had stopped working as because I briefly connected the Apple TV to a Sony TV last week.  The remote was probably transmitting Sony volume commands because this was the last handshake it received correctly.  It all makes perfect sense now!

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 10:14 AM
Yes that makes sense. Maybe you need to do a full reset of the Apple TV to get it working again
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 11:39 AM

Yes that would probably help.  I was reluctant to do a full reset as I didn't want to load all my apps again and restore my settings.

I was going to be moving the Apple TV back and forth between the BV6 and my larger Sony elsewhere in the house, according to what I wanted to watch. but I think I'll just buy a second Apple TV to avoid the hassle of restoring the IR control each time I do so!

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 12:28 PM
If you do buyan extra one could you try one thing before connecting it. Try if the ATV remote vill control volume on either the B&O or the sony TV.

It would be nice to know if it is actually first getting the capabilities to control volume when the ATV is connected to a TV and recognize the brand
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 2:43 PM

Yes I will certainly give that a try.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Jan 24 2020 10:23 AM

(As raised in another thread - sorry that I didn't post this earlier!)

I did get a second ATV4, and I use it with another of the same audio extractors - this one with my BV6-23. It wouldn't control the B&O volume out of the box, and despite trying numerous options, cables, etc I can't get the volume control to work with B&O like the first one! I think the problem is the firmware of the Apple remote: The working one is at 0x0257, and the non-B&O compatible one is at 0x0118. There's a procedure on the net to try and 'force' an Apple TV Remote firmware update but I couldn't get it to work, despite endless hours of trying!

The new remote did work to control the Sony TV (and/or Sony AV Receiver), but only after I'd connected it by hdmi.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Jan 24 2020 12:19 PM

Further to the above: I just called Apple support and described the problem.  They are sending me a new Apple TV remote to try.  Hopefully it will arrive with the newer (0x0257) firmware already installed and will work to control B&O volume.

I'll update this thread with the outcome. 

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Fri, Jan 24 2020 7:30 PM

Guy:

(As raised in another thread - sorry that I didn't post this earlier!)

I did get a second ATV4, and I use it with another of the same audio extractors - this one with my BV6-23. It wouldn't control the B&O volume out of the box, and despite trying numerous options, cables, etc I can't get the volume control to work with B&O like the first one! I think the problem is the firmware of the Apple remote: The working one is at 0x0257, and the non-B&O compatible one is at 0x0118. There's a procedure on the net to try and 'force' an Apple TV Remote firmware update but I couldn't get it to work, despite endless hours of trying!

The new remote did work to control the Sony TV (and/or Sony AV Receiver), but only after I'd connected it by hdmi.

Guy:

Many thanks - and if you find a way to update the remote's firmware (not that you need to) please let me know!

This procedure is mentioned often on the net: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/01/how-to-update-siri-remote-firmware/

... but the menu setup is not longer like that - the Apple remote no longer appears in the 'Bluetooth' menu section but is listed separately.  I have tried everything that I can think of to get it to update, even switching the remotes between my two ATVs.

Just searched a little bit about. Not much coming up besides that dated description you linked to. What strikes me though is the description says that the update will only happen when the Apple TV and the remote is not active and the proces can take 10-30 minutes which means that it must be pretty vulnerable to obstructions. In the end it should do it automatically under normal circumstances. 

Also I saw one place someone mentioning that the update might not be nesecary if the Apple TV does not detect certain prequsites (ie it wont update if there is no need for it). In your case this could maybe be due to your connection with no HDMI?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jan 25 2020 2:08 PM

madskp:
Also I saw one place someone mentioning that the update might not be nesecary if the Apple TV does not detect certain prequsites (ie it wont update if there is no need for it). In your case this could maybe be due to your connection with no HDMI?

Yes that could well be the problem.  I will wait to the new remote arrives and then have an extensive play.  I'll report back here.

What amazes me is that Apple have clearly engineering the B&O IR capability into their ATV remote, but failed to let purchasers know how to make it work!  I wasn't surprised when the chap on the Apple support line said that it was the first time he had heard of a remote firmware problem, and of any issues with B&O control.

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sat, Jan 25 2020 7:17 PM
Yes it is odd this feature it hasn’t been promoted more as B&O TV’s and the ATV makes a great couple.

On the other hand I suspect that the feature would be to complicated to explain in a simple way when it depends on the TV button being assigned to the right HDMI port.

And now with the new LG tv models I guess it will just use HDMI CEC for the controls.

Looking forward to your findings with the new remote
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Jan 26 2020 5:52 PM

New siri remote will arrive tomorrow - a fast service from Apple support!

I have just been doing some searching about Siri remote Firmware versions.  I neglected to say previously that the remote that doesn't control my B&O TV is the 'newer' version with the white circle around the MENU button.  The older (working) remote does not have this circle.  I had previously thought that the remotes were identical inside, but have just found the following links that would indicate, not only are they different inside, but they are running different firmware:

Original (first generation) siri remote FW versions: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/OTA_Updates/Siri_Remote_(1st_generation)

Newer (white circle, second generation) remote FW versions: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/OTA_Updates/Siri_Remote_(2nd_generation) 

Thus with my FW versions at 0X0118 and 0X0257 respectively, it appears that they could both be at the latest update for that version of remote, but the B&O control element is missing from the latter.

I am expecting the new remote to be a 2nd generation (white circle) version, hence I suspect I will have the same problem.  I will do some extensive testing this week, and if it doesn't work I will buy another second hand first generation siri remote and sell the second generation one.

I never imagined that this would be so complicated! 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 27 2020 1:20 PM

Well the new Gen 2 (white circle) Apple TV siri remote arrived with UPS this morning.  In preparation for experimentation I had connected my ATV direct to the BV6-26's DVI socket (taking my audio extractor out of the circuit).  I used a 'known' hdmi to DVI lead - the one that I used to use when my other ATV remote started working to control the TV with IR.

Firstly I tested whether the new remote would control B&O volume with IR 'fresh out of the box' - it didn't.

I then paired it with my ATV, and checked the firmware status - 0x0116.  According to my earlier findings, this is one of the Gen 2 remote's earlier firmware levels that was replaced with 0x0118 on 6 Aug 2019.

I left the remote at firmware 0x0116 and tried all the permutations of IR control as discussed before - nothing worked to control B&O volume. 

I then successfully updated the firmware in the new remote using the following procedure:

• Set the Apple TV to go to sleep mode after 15 mins (Settings>> General>> Sleep After)
  • Go to Settings>> Remotes and Devices>> Remote (battery picture)>> click that and see what firmware version you have...
  • If you see something lower than firmware version 0x0257 (old gen 1 remote) or 0x0118 (new 'white circle' remote)  - hit menu to go back, then tap the play/pause button 4 times... and it will update when your AppleTV is in sleep mode (i.e at least 15 minutes later) - may take up to half an hour... later - check the firmware version and see what you got...

I left my ATV for 45 minutes total (15 mins to go to sleep, then 30 mins to update the remote), and when I checked the remote firmware it had indeed updated from 0x0116 to 0x0118.

I again tried all the previously explored permutations, but am unable to get the remote to control the B&O volume.

I am now on eBay searching for a generation 1 (no white circle) Apple TV remote, for further experimentation!  

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Mon, Jan 27 2020 7:07 PM
Great info you have gathered. It seems though that Apple might have abandoned the B&O IR feature in the 2. Gen remote with the white circle.

As the feature never was officially documented it probably wont be missed by many people, so understandeble that Apple might have removed it.

It also seems that the remotes that are shown on Apples product pages for both ATV HD (formerly known as ATV 4) and ATV 4K is the one with the white ring, so it might not be possible to buy the 1 gen from Apple anymore
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 27 2020 8:40 PM

When I was discussing with Apple support he did try to find a first generation remote to send me, but they don't make them anymore.  I did find an article that said the Siri remote price dropped from $80 to $60 when they brought out the Gen2, so perhaps this reflects the reduction in capability (lack of 455kHz IR).  Also I suppose Apple realised that most of their customers had hdmi-cec capable TVs.

I have put an eBay offer in on a 'new in box' Gen 1 remote, so as soon as I can get hold of one I'll do some more tests and update the thread.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Jan 30 2020 1:06 PM

So the 'new to me', first generation (no white circle) Siri remote arrived this morning.  I bought it on eBay for £27.

I again connected the ATV4 directly to the BV6 with my good hdmi to DVI lead.

I used the ATV remote app on my phone to turn on the ATV4 and unpair the (white circle) remote that was previously connected.

I connected the first generation remote to the ATV and it immediately worked to control B&O volume - success!!!  Smile

I checked the remote's firmware - currently at 0x0245, so I am now updating to 0x0257 using the procedure that I previously described.

By the way, under 'Home Cinema Control', the ATV was set to 'Control TVs and Receivers' ON (but also works if set to OFF), and the Volume Control Option was set to 'TV via IR'.

So I think we can safely summarise that (in my usage case), only the first generation Siri remote can be used to control B&O TV volume directly by IR, and that it works at both firmware levels 0X0245 and 0x0257. 

If I had a more modern B&O TV, with hdmi sockets, I would experiment more with the second generation (white circle) Siri remote to see if some sort of hdmi 'handshake' triggers B&O IR volume control, but I strongly suspect that this functionality has been removed.

soundboy
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
soundboy replied on Sat, Apr 11 2020 2:56 PM

madskp:
This post was made to sum up on findings from other forum threads to keep the information in one place.

Hi and thanks for this great summary!

So... how does this beauty work through SCART? ;))

I have Beovision 7-32 type 9311 raider with ATV through a SCART-HDMI scaler converter. 

It would be great to have all the functionalities available, but the only thing I really, really want is to control my TV volume through my Apple TV remote.

Is this even possible with this model and configuration? I have been researching it for months, and even this post was the most informative I have still no luck with pairing Apple with B&O successfully. 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Apr 11 2020 6:10 PM

soundboy:

It would be great to have all the functionalities available, but the only thing I really, really want is to control my TV volume through my Apple TV remote.

Is this even possible with this model and configuration?

Does your siri remote have the white circle around it (newer version)?  If so, I don't think that you will get it working to control the B&O volume directly.

If it does not, then you may be able to make it work.  What firmware version is the remote?  And does your TV have a DVI socket?

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member
Program your remote for volume
  1. On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to Settings > Remotesand Devices > Volume Control.
  2. Select Learn New Device.
  3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote to control volume for your television or receiver.

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Apr 11 2020 7:23 PM

Jaffrey2230:

Program your remote for volume
  1. On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to Settings > Remotesand Devices > Volume Control.
  2. Select Learn New Device.
  3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote to control volume for your television or receiver.

It can't learn a new device because the ATV cannot receive the B&O IR frequency (455kHz), so unfortunately this will not work.

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sat, Apr 11 2020 8:06 PM
soundboy:

Hi and thanks for this great summary!

So... how does this beauty work through SCART? ;))

I have Beovision 7-32 type 9311 raider with ATV through a SCART-HDMI scaler converter.

Is this even possible with this model and configuration? I have been researching it for months, and even this post was the most informative I have still no luck with pairing Apple with B&O successfully.

As mentioned by Guy a possibility might to connect to the DVI port of the BV7 to get the handshake between the TV and the ATV to let the remote know which IR signals it shall send

But even with that in place you will probably only succed with the ATV remote without the white circle
Page 1 of 2 (73 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS