Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beware of phoney refurbished MMC 1 and MMC 2!!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

techhn
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
techhn Posted: Thu, Oct 18 2018 2:39 PM

Some resellers and private sellers, at eBay and other sites, offers these two models for sale.
Some are ONLY renovated as a MMC 4.

The red "dot" at the back side of the needle tube indicate it's a MMC 4

If you fall across a MMC 1 or MMC 2 with green "dot" it is fitted with a Shibata diamond. Is often chosen instead of a CL

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Oct 18 2018 4:22 PM

This is actually quite an issue.
I have just recently come across one of these "counterfeits", and from (what was until recently) a reputable cartridge reseller/retip'er.
I will of course return it.

But it does bring to mind what dear old Anthony Garza in TX once told about.
He called it "cartridge rustling", in comparison to "cattle rustling"
(the "art" of adding to the already burned marking on other peoples cattle to make the signature mark look like yours),
- the latter I suppose being far more common in his neck of the woods than the former.

Anyway, the thing was, that a certain cartridge seller found that by carefully scraping away some of the white paint, he could
make the lettering MMC 4 read MMC 1.

The color on the "neck" of the cantilever (as shown nicely in the photo above) will tell the truth.
And of course, MMC1 and MMC2 should have a glass-like cantilever. Not a metal (aluminium) one like the one in the above photo. 

Worth keeping an eye out for these counterfeits.

Martin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 19 2018 8:35 AM
Just to make the point of my above post clear;

The point is not whether you have an MMC2 rebuilt to a 4 or not. That's completely for the owner to decide.
Personally I would never dream of downgrading a 2 to a 4, - rather I have had many cartridges upgraded. - There simply isn't enough original 2s around here.

And the point is not to flame a specific reseller or retipper. The reseller who sold me the "fake", is one I have
bought dozens of cartridges from previously, so it came as a bit of a surprise when he suddenly turned wrong.
I don't think he is the actual retipper - and that's not important, but it seems he deliberately started having
all cartridges retip'ed as 4s and then sell them priced according to the number on the nose.

The point with my post (and the OP, I believe) is to make buyers aware and have them check, that they get what they pay for.
Not all people know enough about this to tell right away if they are being fooled.
I didn't get what I paid for when I ordered an MMC2 and received an MMC2 housing with aluminium cantilever and red dot.

Martin
bikersupermoto
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

having followed this topic with interest, could someone point me in the right direction for a refurbed mmc2 thats genuine please for my beogram 6500.  im based in uk but happy to purchase from a reputable overseas supplier.

many thanks.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Dec 13 2018 4:49 AM

If any of my MMC1 or MMC2 cartridges ever go bad I would most likely buy a brand new SMMC 2 from Soundsmith in New York. They are reputable. 
In the case of a still good MMC1 or MMC2 that needed a suspension repair only I would use Soundsmith in New York or Benny Amina in Georgia.
If you absolutely have to have an original B&O MMC2 then I would watch on Ebay. Insist on detailed photos of the cartridge so you can make sure it is genuine. The fakes are pretty easy to spot as described in this thread. Just be aware that it is very common in the B&O MMC line for the suspensions to need repair at this point of their life. That is why it is safest and easiest to just buy a new SMMC 2 from Soundsmith.

-sonavor

bikersupermoto
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

hello sonavor - many thanks for taking the time to respond and help - its much appreciated and i will indeed go to soundsmith to get the required cartridge and take my old ones to him for refurb.

thanks once again.

bikersupermoto
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

many thanks sonavor for your reply - i will go to soundsmith in new york as ill be visiting New York next year.  many thansk for your recommendation and help - its much appreciated. Smile

HarryP
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
HarryP replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 10:41 PM

Seems they have UK distributor as well... 

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 11:53 AM

Ah, Georgia in US, not Georgia in Caucasus Big Smile

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 2:03 PM

Orava:

Ah, Georgia in US, not Georgia in Caucasus Big Smile

Land of peaches, pecans, and Southern Belles. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

techhn
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
techhn replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 7:14 PM

Hi Bikersupermoto.

I offer B&O MMC repair, all models.

Regards

Pick-up Service

techhn
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
techhn replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 7:31 PM

Hello angain bikersupermoto .

Your MMC 2 can be repaired for only US $ 299,-

The price of a SMMC 2 is US $ 799.95

Regards

Pick-up Service

Denmark

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 270
Gold Member
MJBeo replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 8:59 PM

Dillen:

And the point is not to flame a specific reseller or retipper. The reseller who sold me the "fake", is one I have
bought dozens of cartridges from previously, so it came as a bit of a surprise when he suddenly turned wrong.
I don't think he is the actual retipper - and that's not important, but it seems he deliberately started having
all cartridges retip'ed as 4s and then sell them priced according to the number on the nose.

I hope this is not http://www.tonabnehmerservice.com/, because I am about to send my mmc cartriges to be rebuilt and or repaired. Or should I go to Audio Origin?

Beosound 5 Encore + Beosystem 5500 + S45.2; BV7-40 MKV + BL7.1 + BL14.4+ AppleTV4; various link rooms with MCL2 A or MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX100 / CX50 & Cona  / IWS2000; BG4000; Beosystem 1200 + BV1600.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Oct 2 2021 12:21 PM

There is something I'm not sure to understand in their pricing:

As I get it, for an MMC20 If restoration is possible it will be :

Restoration with aluminum cantilever and elliptical diamonds for € 150 gross.

The suspension being dead by now it will be 299€ more?

Plus shipping it would the be 469€? right? That seems to be very expensive no? compared to restored cartridge sold around 250€.
I did have MMC heads refurbished to MMC4 specs recently and it was waaayyy cheaper and suspension was included.
Even if MMCX would be easier to service than MMCXX (I can't see why but lets assume this) the would still not explain the 3x price.

Maybe I'm missing something.
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Oct 2 2021 3:20 PM

https://www.tonabnehmerservice.de/en/home/

was mentioned recently in a german audio magazine, so I would suggest to look there for B&O cartridges (repair and refurbishment).

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member

Does anyone have any idea what is happening right now at Tonabnehmerservice?

I sent Franz-Josef 3 cartridges for rebuild and he has gone completely silent on me!!!

No response to 2 emails.

I am now fearful that I have lost these cartridges??

I am really sad to report such poor service.

Any ideas?

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 270
Gold Member
MJBeo replied on Fri, Oct 8 2021 2:06 PM

I sent him an email this week with an inquiry and got a response within a day. Perhaps call the number listed on the site?

Beosound 5 Encore + Beosystem 5500 + S45.2; BV7-40 MKV + BL7.1 + BL14.4+ AppleTV4; various link rooms with MCL2 A or MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX100 / CX50 & Cona  / IWS2000; BG4000; Beosystem 1200 + BV1600.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

I may be wrong but I believe most of those guys are doing this job as a side activity and not a full time or main job.

That leads to inconsistent delays sometimes because of family duties, life issues, main job obligations etc, making the communications complicated.

I did send 5 cart to refurbish to trusted guy and still had lot of issues for a lot of different reasons. In the end I did get my cartridge back refurbished as new, but I did get through a lot of worries once I paid and the guy went in the blind for weeks.

I ended up thinking that time does not run as fast for us, waiting to listen our record, than for them who live in an infinite small world of tiny tubes and well shaped stones.

If I had to do it again I certainly would choose Soundsmith even though the various warnings and disclaimers on their website tends to scares and prevent me to order.

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member

Regardless, all I am asking is for conformation that he has received the cartriges so i can relax and not rely on the post insurance. To not respond to that is not acceptable? Just say "yep, got them." How difficult is that? FJ, if you are reading this you need to up your game?

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 270
Gold Member
MJBeo replied on Fri, Oct 8 2021 9:38 PM

matador43:
The suspension being dead by now it will be 299€ more?

My question was actually about this, but suspension is in the price. So rebuilt MMC4 to original

specs is 160€ net and upgrade to MMC2 specs is 312€. Additional 50€ if one or two channels do not work.

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member

I too had quick email responses from him, right up until posting the cartridges!!! Then it changed. 'Having already found myself the victim to out and out liars and theives (StuderSweden)  in the vintage Hifi game 2 years ago I am now extremely worried that it has happened again? This is exactly the initial events of what happened previously!

i am very close to making a Police report!

mikdabrit
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
mikdabrit replied on Thu, Oct 14 2021 3:14 PM

I have had reasonable turn round times. About 6 weeks usually. Also replies to questions has been acceptable although sometimes he needs a reminder. Did have a repaired cartridge take three months in the post during COVID times. Post is now improved (to USA). Approx two weeks total shipment time.

No problem with quality on an MMC4/5.

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member
Beofile7 replied on Fri, Oct 22 2021 2:47 PM

Well it must be me then as I am finding dealing with this guy is a joke!

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS