Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4002 repair and restore

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig Posted: Sat, Feb 16 2019 6:11 PM

As I'm waiting for a delivery of capacitors for the Beolab I have been playing with I decided to take  a look at this deck I collected from a chap in the Wirral last weekend.....bought on ebay a month or so ago and just got around to collecting it

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Was sold as "Faulty" and this turned out to be an accurate description of the deck.....Perspex cover will require polishing to remove some quite deep scars, the stylus is bent double (has actually dropped off and is now hiding within the pile of my carpet) so the cartridge has been posted off to Alistair of Audio Originals for inspection....the coils measured up good at around 700 ohms so I'm optimistic it will turn out well. The seller advised the tone arm refuses to drop when a record is detected and this is indeed the case.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Manual operation of the tone arm lowering mechanism and the solenoid revealed it is in fact partially seized quite badly, this isn't a problem....and to be fair the rest of the machine looks in pretty good shape....certainly recoverable

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Dismantled the tone arm lowering mechanism and found the pivot bushing under the circlip was the culprit, really was very tight and took a bit of persuasion to free off...….there are bits of wool inserted into the coils of the springs, I lifted one out before I realised what is was...thought it was just an accumulation of bits of fibre and dust,  but its clearly meant to be there....but to what end?

Craig

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Craig:

Dismantled the tone arm lowering mechanism and found the pivot bushing under the circlip was the culprit, really was very tight and took a bit of persuasion to free off...….there are bits of wool inserted into the coils of the springs, I lifted one out before I realised what is was...thought it was just an accumulation of bits of fibre and dust,  but its clearly meant to be there....but to what end?

Craig

I've always assumed it was a form of damping.

Don't forget the up down pivot on the arm. The arm will drop much smoother with a clean and lubricate. Not so easy to get to though.

Regards Graham

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Agreed Graham.....and while most of it is removed a drop of oil on the up/down pivot is worthwhile

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Reassembled and given a test run.....arm lowers nice and gently, tone are tracks very nicely too.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Floats nicely below the knife edge too, rocks gently as the album spins

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

The guiding tabs have all took a beating, should be easy enough to straighten them out..

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

And the keypad shows signs of wear in the usual places......I know Rudi can recover these.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

I may send it over to him, don't know if Frede can anodise these?.....however I have found this replacement, chap in Romania If I remember correctly, not perfect but better than the one that's fitted.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Internally looks very clean...….

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Main circuit board is also in very good shape......

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Craig:

Main circuit board is also in very good shape......

Little used by the look of it. At least one of those higher wattage resistors and the board below usually shows signs of heat stress.

Regards Graham

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Metal work has been in the wars over past 40 or so years......

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

cleaned up and primed....sadly the stick 0n label had to be sacrificed for a better cause...…..

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Woodwork is a little knocked around too....but to be fair is only superficial damage, corners are still nice and sharp...…..

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

The hood has also taken a beating....had to peel away the foil trim in order to get the hood off the rear bracket, bit drastic I know....but I also know a man who makes pretty good aluminium replacement trims, better than the original foil.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Soul destroying exercise but has to be done....this represents 3 hours with 400grit, sadly I didn't have any 200grit which would probably made things a bit quicker.....still a long way to go however, probably another 3 hours with ever increasing grit levels

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

To break the monotony I have made a start re-capping and replacing the trimmers…...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Couple of coats of satin paint on the rear supports...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

I had these transport lock bushes 3D printed using the .stl files from Christian Leicht…..when I opened up the clamps I found that the existing bushes where in good shape....so I have left them in place, keep the new ones for another day.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Spent a bit of time on the wood trim too...….anything to break the monotony of polishing the hood!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 9:16 PM

This Beogram has the LED on the front?

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Martin

Yes it has one, comes on when power is applied...works fine. This however has to go...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Bit tight in there....but the end result is worth the effort.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Moving on to 1000 grit....I hate this

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Getting there...……..really just polishing for a little while more

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Aproaching the end game.....all coming back together.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

As the RPM trimmers have been replaced slight adjustments where required using Rudi's patent RPM device, I did download the driver and an application for this and it works really well on the PC.....don't really relish the thought of giving the motor a 24hr test in case the results point to a bearing oil infusion....not sure i'm ready for that (and I don't have a vacuum pump)

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Fitted the new trim....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Over and out...………..

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member

Hi Craig,

For what it's worth, I did an oil infusion under vacuum on a BG4002 DC motor and it was straightforward enough even without special tools.  A vacuum wine stopper siliconed into a jam jar lid did the job.  As for the spark snubbers, that was beyond me, but the oil infusion was well worth doing.  The motor drew less current on reassembly.

Keep up the great work.

Simon

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Simon

Thanks for that...I have wondered how much vacuum was actually needed to perform this exercise, I have run a 40min test and documented the results.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Tue, Mar 5 2019 9:59 AM

Should have done that before I bought a wine bottle vacuum pump! only a 40min test but it looks good to me

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sun, Nov 29 2020 8:08 AM

Well......my partner decided it was time I let one or two pieces go to people who will use them, she's right of course.....so to that end i dusted this off and prior to advertising it on a well known auction site I did some tests to ensure full functionality.....imagine my astonishment when the tone arm refused to drop at the appropriate time......very annoying, non the less checked inside and nothing looked untoward the magnetic coil flutters on sensing the drop point but doesnt pull in.........tested 1TR9 and 1TR10 of the Magnet coil circuit and both are good.....I dont have 30vdc at the collector of 1IC4 only 26vdc....so i suspect im not getting the initial current to the coil and only the hold in current, will look into this

Craig

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

1IC4 also checks out good.....the solenoid coil weighs in at a steady 8 ohms........not much else to go wrong really,..

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Nov 30 2020 7:08 AM

I checked the solenoid's coils on one of my Beogram 400x units and I get 8.5 ohms so yours is close enough it could be a difference in our measurement devices.

When you say the transistors check out is that just out of circuit testing?
If so, then they could be failing when in operation.
I imagine you checked all of the trace connections in the related circuit for any connection issues, right?

You mentioned that the power supply wasn't producing 30 VDC.

How healthy is the signal to lower the arm?

John

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Mon, Nov 30 2020 1:16 PM

John

Yes I have tested the transistors out of circuit, they may well be failing in operation. I have had a good look at the traces and connections and they all look good, as for the 30vdc I'm getting this at across OC1 but  on start up it drops to around 26vdc at the emitter of 1IC4....i will check the Signal to lower the arm at the base of 1TR9 this evening...I will also get my scope out and check the trace at the collector of 1IC4. I did check the damper pot for lubrication and found that when the damper is removed the solenoid will pull in against the spring alone...but with the damper and lift/lower linkages connected the solenoid hasn't got the "umph" (technical term) to pull in, the damper adjustment is fully open and the lift/lower linkages feel pretty free but they could be the cause.....however i would expect the solenoid would be strong enough to pull in against the slight resistance of the linkages and fully open damper.....i will look harder at it.

Craig 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Mon, Nov 30 2020 1:16 PM

John

Yes I have tested the transistors out of circuit, they may well be failing in operation. I have had a good look at the traces and connections and they all look good, as for the 30vdc I'm getting this at across OC1 but  on start up it drops to around 26vdc at the emitter of 1IC4....i will check the Signal to lower the arm at the base of 1TR9 this evening...I will also get my scope out and check the trace at the collector of 1IC4. I did check the damper pot for lubrication and found that when the damper is removed the solenoid will pull in against the spring alone...but with the damper and lift/lower linkages connected the solenoid hasn't got the "umph" (technical term) to pull in, the damper adjustment is fully open and the lift/lower linkages feel pretty free but they could be the cause.....however i would expect the solenoid would be strong enough to pull in against the slight resistance of the linkages and fully open damper.....i will look harder at it.

Craig 

Page 1 of 2 (47 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS