Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bang & Olufsen announces preliminary financial results for the third quarter

rated by 0 users
This post has 99 Replies | 2 Followers

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Apr 1 2019 7:27 PM

Yes but a good deal of that chain of problems relating to TV sales is directly related to their pricing, within the context of the broader market.

But yes, the issues are broader - in summary, if forum members (admittedly not all by any means) are finding to harder to justify the price premium, then that says a lot.

Everyone will have their specific angles, as to why its. harder to justify the price premium, but it is what it is.

Can it remedied by a round of new products? Sure, but recent history has been mixed on that front.

And I really wouldn't try to put a positive spin on the recent two set of results, they're far from good.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member

mawheele:
The product and product marketing teams - including those on TV - are doing a good job bearing in mind their limited R&D options

So you are eluding to the fact that the limited R/D resources perhaps are not enough?  If so I totally agree. You cannot axe the entire video wing and expect to end up with anything else than an Eclipse, which despite having stellar video and sound is a complete disaster in the technical architecture.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Apr 1 2019 7:34 PM

Who is responsible for the doom and gloom (and I woudltn cal it that anyway)....me or the company reporting its recent performance?

As for whether they exit the Tv business, I've always accepted they may change their mind, and to be fair many of us have been told as such, in addition to Roger's fairly well explained post last year.

Even if they remain in the TV segment, that has not served them especially well in recent years - again, not my fault. Theirs.

The issue some have with your response to the results is that you were leaning on the CEO's effective take - that low demand from dealers is at fault, not the product offering. Of course the truth will be somewhere in between, but I don't think its a stretch to conclude that 10K TV's is a tougher sell than they used to be.

None of these challenges suddenly disappear if they release a new model.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Apr 1 2019 8:06 PM

Re: Gloom And Doom

Some people, after the Titanic hit the iceberg, were concerned about sinking. Some pooh poohed that, saying nonsense, now we have plenty of ice for the champagne!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141:

So you are eluding to the fact that the limited R/D resources perhaps are not enough? If so I totally agree. You cannot axe the entire video wing and expect to end up with anything else than an Eclipse, which despite having stellar video and sound is a complete disaster in the technical architecture.

Why do you say that? Do you own one?

The Eclipse is the most reliable and performant B&O Tv I’ve owned in the past 20 year and I’d include the CRTs in that list. And it’s managing the most complex configuration I’ve attached to it. B&O walking from chassis and OS design is likely to have dramatically improved customer satisfaction. Anyone heard of a firmware issue recently?

Have you had a different experience?
vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

beocool:

vikinger:

Apparently Aston Martin Lagonda shares are down 40% since their Oct 2018 launch. Does this indicate that the luxury markets have peaked and that B&O had better refocus again?

Graham

Not necessarily. It's quite dangerous to look at the share price of one company and turn it into an indicator for a certain line of business or in this case the luxury market. If you look at LVMH stock price for instance it closed at € 258,20 at the end of last year. Last Friday it said € 324,10 on the boards. If you take that as an indicator you would imagine the luxury market about to explode.

I would try and look for indicators like the S&P global luxury index, which is based on 80 of the largest publicly traded companies. At the time of writing, this index shows a decline of 2.6% over the last year. 

Agree, it's just one indicator. Just like the sudden top end property selling price drops of certain cities like London and SF. Some indicators may give you a view of the likely market trends before those trends are actually confirmed by S&P indices. 

B&O were once the masters of disguising CRT TVs and somehow making them elegant when no other manufacturer could stand comparison. Now all TVs are relatively elegant, so B&O no longer have a USP in that area, other than elegant motorised stands and wall mounts.

With music streaming B&O should have been way ahead of the game with it's early adoption of active speakers..... so what, if anything,  went wrong in this area?

Graham

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member

An interesting take on Loewe's strategy to survive in the luxury space, assuming that they will, long term. Here is one quote but the article is worth a look. 

“Hisense is a partner with Loewe only in a small way, and only in the bild 1. However the bild 1 is 80% made by Loewe and Loewe only. We only use their panel, while the engine, power supply, chassis and circuitry is all Loewe proprietary, the software utilises the Loewe OS software which provides seamless connectivity to all Loewe products. Loewe had many offers — including Apple — however Loewe had to be owned 100% under German influence. The heritage and the history must be kept the same for it to be successful and to remain true to its word. We are very proud of this. And our partner in Australia, Indi Imports, is already moving with the passion and drive that we have here in Kronach, Germany.”

https://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/loewes-new-tokyo-connection-522929

It seems to speak of Loewe staying with its values while it tries to survive in the current space. As much as I loathe the manipulation of their stock via Apple rumours years ago, I appreciate they are able to describe their market precisely. They may not make it, either, as the business they (and B&O) are in is an extremely difficult one. 

If your product experience is competent, not necessarily perfect, some people will buy for reasons other than price. I wish our kids and their kids cared enough to buy from the Meridian, Linn, B&W, Loewe, and B&O, etc. of this world. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Loewe was the darling of Beoworld a year ago or so.........seems to have faded now - or not!?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member

They seem to get some things very right:

"The bild 7 is an outstanding OLED debut from Loewe, with the 55-incher we reviewed featuring the highest peak brightness we've extracted from any OLED TV to date. Together with remarkable tone mapping, this delivered some of the most impressive HDR images from an OLED we've ever laid eyes on."

HDTVtest.co.uk - May 2017

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

I think Loewe was really clever. They build more or less one TV with different equipment variants.

Take their OLED 55: one display, one software, different lines and different price ranges.

bild3 OLED 55: Stereo 2x40W ----> ~2500 - 3000€

bild5 OLED 55: Stereo 2x80W, but optional 5.1-decoder, HDD inbuild ---> ~3500 - 4000€

bild7 OLED 55: 120 W Soundbar incl. 5.1 Audio-Decoder, HDD inbuild ---> ~5000€

Special stand solutions cost extra (but the standard table stand comes with the tv)

I think a product like the BV Eclipse is a wonderful top of the range product, but if it's the only tv in the B&O range with a normal size and Display technology, then I'm not surprised that sales collapse and potential customers are looking for alternatives.

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

The Loewe TV's are amazing at the moment, and very affordable!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Apr 3 2019 10:25 PM

Rob - Danish AV:

I don't think you're quite "on message"!Big Smile

Ban boring signatures!

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Thu, Sep 26 2019 6:56 AM

Duels:

The low level of new product launches has been deliberate and the coming 12 months will see significantly more product launches across all categories (staged, on the go etc).

Well, it is interesting to follow up on this one here. After 6 months we have basically only seen a new a Soundbar, right - besides the Harmony? I guess the next 6 months is going to be the "significant" part, unless new colors count as new products.

Anyway, I hope to see some nice progress in the new product launch soon. Or is there a reference somewhere to the reason why B&O officially is for sale?

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

You also have the upgraded H9 and A9

What do we know coming?

Updated Eclipse

Soundbar, with powerlink

New headphones high end

New sound system/remote

More... ?

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

Puncher:

Rob - Danish AV:

I don't think you're quite "on message"!Big Smile

oh hindsight and the miracle of bumped threads!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Sep 26 2019 9:13 AM
I think it’s the glacial pace of new launches that is the problem
GeorgeLange
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

This explains why they won’t help me fix my slightly out of warranty avant 55. They must sell some poor TVs. They look great but the repair bills are scary after the warranty is over. I think I am going to throw my tv and motorized wall bracket in the garbage. There goes $16,000 

GeorgeLange
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

That explains why they won’t chip in and help pay for my avant 55 to get fixed. It is slightly out of warranty and they will not help

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

GeorgeLange:

That explains why they won’t chip in and help pay for my avant 55 to get fixed. It is slightly out of warranty and they will not help

Not sure if you/your tv are UK based but take (threat) the Supplier to small claims. You have purchased a high end premium product and one can reasonably expect that this class of product would be fit for purpose for a period greater than implied by the original warranty. 

Im a little out of touch but check your consumer law. You are probably better protected than you think especially if a credit card or finance is involved as well. 

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 218
Bronze Member
PaulGiles replied on Fri, Sep 27 2019 8:36 AM
Or possibly try another dealer or even B&O themselves.

Give them the serial numbers etc and explain the case.

Maybe worth a chat in the first instance just to get a second opinion and also gives you more leverage with the local one once you have reported your findings to B&O HQ.
Page 3 of 3 (100 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS