Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

AIRPLAY OVER MULTIROOM

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Bronze Member
Alsfeld Posted: Sat, Jan 4 2020 5:57 PM

By accident I found the following page: https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000942169-How-do-I-distribute-sound-from-AirPlay-over-Multiroom.
Unfortunately I do not find "APPLE" in the menu.

I can "push" airplay to selected NL products (e.g. Core), but I can not forward the stream via B&O Multiroom to another NL product (e.g Beosound 35). 

I read the above link so, that this should be possible. But how?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Jan 4 2020 6:40 PM
In the app, select a product, chose Configure , Settings, Beolink, Sound Synchronization

There you will see the check box for enabling AirPlay to be distributed via NL
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

After that:

You can distribute the airplayed sound (from the Core) either through the ‘Join’ function on the BS35 respectively the ‘Join’ command from a B&O remote to the device.....

......or you you can add the device to the ongoing session in the multiroom section of the Bang & Olufsen app.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Jan 5 2020 11:17 AM
Millemissen:

After that:

You can distribute the airplayed sound (from the Core) either through the ‘Join’ function on the BS35 respectively the ‘Join’ command from a B&O remote to the device.....

......or you you can add the device to the ongoing session in the multiroom section of the Bang & Olufsen app.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

That’s great. Unfortunately, it doesn’t allow to mix an AP multi-room with an NL multi-room though (given required delay to activate above feature.

Maybe B&O will add a feature to “tap” to join AP streams. This would solve my issue not being able to use “old” B&O through APE in multi-room whole maintaining the “tap to join” feature for new speakers.
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jan 5 2020 2:09 PM
steve1977:

That’s great. Unfortunately, it doesn’t allow to mix an AP multi-room with an NL multi-room though (given required delay to activate above feature.

Maybe B&O will add a feature to “tap” to join AP streams. This would solve my issue not being able to use “old” B&O through APE in multi-room whole maintaining the “tap to join” feature for new speakers.

You can tap to join other B&O NL products to an Airplay stream happening elsewhere

For example, I often Airplay to my A9, and then tap to join my BS2, or either of my BV'S

By APE, do you mean Airport Express? In which case, is it software updated to AP2?

Anyway, you should be able to do what you are describing that you want
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
Sandyb:

You can tap to join other B&O NL products to an Airplay stream happening elsewhere

For example, I often Airplay to my A9, and then tap to join my BS2, or either of my BV'S

By APE, do you mean Airport Express? In which case, is it software updated to AP2?

I don’t think i can, but wish i’m wrong.

Yes, APE is updated to AP2. I can play to an APE and a BS1 in-sync. But only as soon as i disable the feature that allows AP to be distributed via NL. Enabling this feature introduces a delay. So, AP2 to BS1 ans APE only works as long as i disable this feature :(
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The choice is yours!

You can not mix AirPlay2 and the BeoLink distribution of an airplay session.

Find out, what suits you best.......probably AP2 as long as you depend on having the APE in the setup.

MM

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

The choice is yours!

Find out, what suits you best.......probably AP2 as long as you depend on having the APE in the setup.

MM

My preferred scenario would be AP2 with B&O supporting “join” :)
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jan 5 2020 6:31 PM

Maybe I dont understand.

What is your APE connected to?

Surely the easy use case is to Airplay to an Airplay 2 enabled B&O speaker, and then just tap to join (or use the app) to ad other B&O NL speakers.

Its worked for me for ages, and no delay - or nothing obvious.

Anyway, perhaps I'm not quite clear on what you're trying do exactly, an your exact setup.

steve1977:
Sandyb:

I don’t think i can, but wish i’m wrong.

Yes, APE is updated to AP2. I can play to an APE and a BS1 in-sync. But only as soon as i disable the feature that allows AP to be distributed via NL. Enabling this feature introduces a delay. So, AP2 to BS1 ans APE only works as long as i disable this feature :(

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 320
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Mon, Jan 6 2020 3:32 PM

steve1977:
Millemissen:

The choice is yours!

MM

My preferred scenario would be AP2 with B&O supporting “join” :)

I am with you 100% here, Steve. With the very limited input options currently offered natively by B&O, it seems counterintuitive that an Airplay source played to one speaker cannot be transported via B&O Multiroom to other NL speakers.

I hate to draw the Sonos-card, but they manage this functionality very well. NO LAGS. 

For me as an Apple Music user, my preferred use case would be Airplay 2 to, eg., my Beosound 1 and a distribution of that sound via NL Multiroom to everywhere else in the house in perfect sync. Why shouldn't it be possible?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jan 6 2020 3:53 PM

Am I missing something?

I Airplay all the time from my MBP/iPad/iPhone to one of BS2 / A9 MK2 / ATV.

From then, I can physically tap to join / join via BR1 / use B&O app to allow other B&O speakers / BVs.

If the problematic scenario is Airplaying to a non-B&O speaker, and then not be able to get B&O speakers to join via NL, then I get it.

But otherwise, it works for me, I dont get sync issues.

Occasionally the odd sync issue, but generally not.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Jan 6 2020 4:37 PM
StKong:

I am with you 100% here, Steve. With the very limited input options currently offered natively by B&O, it seems counterintuitive that an Airplay source played to one speaker cannot be transported via B&O Multiroom to other NL speakers.

I hate to draw the Sonos-card, but they manage this functionality very well. NO LAGS.

For me as an Apple Music user, my preferred use case would be Airplay 2 to, eg., my Beosound 1 and a distribution of that sound via NL Multiroom to everywhere else in the house in perfect sync. Why shouldn't it be possible?

Started to Airplay to my BS Shape and could JOIN the Harmony.

So what is the issue?

And yes the box is ticked in the Shapss setting
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sandyb:

Am I missing something?

I Airplay all the time from my MBP/iPad/iPhone to one of BS2 / A9 MK2 / ATV.

From then, I can physically tap to join / join via BR1 / use B&O app to allow other B&O speakers / BVs.

If the problematic scenario is Airplaying to a non-B&O speaker, and then not be able to get B&O speakers to join via NL, then I get it.

But otherwise, it works for me, I dont get sync issues.

Occasionally the odd sync issue, but generally not.

Exactly that is the point.

Airplaying to an APE uses the AP2 protocol and distributing that works fine as long as you stick to the AP2 protocol....which is supported by the B&O devices.

However, this can only be controlled ‘the Apple-way’ using the menu on iOS devices etc and adding AP2 speakers from there.

Join is using the B&O protocol - you can easily join what you play via AP on one B&O device from another or even from more B&O devices (Sandyb described howto).

But you cannot play to e.g. an APE and then join in on that (via the B&O streaming protocol) from a B&O device.

The AP2 protocol and the B&O protocol don’t work together.

As long as you want non-B&O AP2 capable devices in the mix, you must stick to the AP2 protocol, which means no joining.....whether you want it or not!

I distribute airplayed stuff all the time at home - but I only use B&O devices. I don’t use or even need AP2.

My two ATV4’s are never used to distribute AirPlay - they only receive when I am using one standalone.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

StKong:

With the very limited input options currently offered natively by B&O, it seems counterintuitive that an Airplay source played to one speaker cannot be transported via B&O Multiroom to other NL speakers.

I don’t get what you mean.

Basicly you can airplay anything to a B&O device.....and from there join in from other B&O devices.

What are you missing?

MM

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

I agree, you can AirPlay 2 anything from an iOS device to any number of speakers without going through any B&O protocol. In my case if a B&O speaker does not have AirPlay built-in, I just make sure it is connected to an Apple TV (if connected to a TV) or an Apple AirPort Express. You can basically use any AirPlay 2 complaint streamer to do the trick. I also prefer the AirPlay 2/iOS user interface over the B&O App for multi-room. So, you only have a problem if you'd rather use the B&O App vs. Apple's user interface.

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
Jaffrey2230:

I agree, you can AirPlay 2 anything from an iOS device to any number of speakers without going through any B&O protocol. In my case if a B&O speaker does not have AirPlay built-in, I just make sure it is connected to an Apple TV (if connected to a TV) or an Apple AirPort Express. You can basically use any AirPlay 2 complaint streamer to do the trick. I also prefer the AirPlay 2/iOS user interface over the B&O App for multi-room. So, you only have a problem if you'd rather use the B&O App vs. Apple's user interface.

TV Room : BL 8000, BL 2 connected to 65 Inch Sony A1E OLED TV

Living Room : BL 6000, B&W PV1 connected to AirPort Express driven by AirPlay 2

Dining Room: BeoPlay A9 Mk2

Kitchen : BeoPlay P6

Bedroom : BL 6000, BL 11 connected to LG UST Projector and Apple TV 4K, room also has an Apple HomePod

Travel : BeoPlay H4 3rd gen.

2020 plans: Add a BeoSound 2 to the office and upgrade living room BL 6000 set with BL 18

My setup and intent is same / similar to yours. And i’m happy to be able to control this setup fully with AP2 (same as you do).

My comment was that a setup as the one above does not allow to “join” B&O devices by “tapping”. For example in the above setup, you cannot “join” the A9 by tapping. You can join the A9 through IOS, but not through a tap.
Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

True. It would save a step. However, with Siri you can use voice to move/add any speaker in any room quite easily. However, it requires an iOS or HomePod in voice range. Hopefully B&O can improve their app and software to the point where it is as refined as say SONOS. Until then, Chromecast with Google Voice or AirPlay 2 with Siri are probably the best options. 

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Jaffrey2230:

True. It would save a step. However, with Siri you can use voice to move/add any speaker in any room quite easily. However, it requires an iOS or HomePod in voice range. Hopefully B&O can improve their app and software to the point where it is as refined as say SONOS. Until then, Chromecast with Google Voice or AirPlay 2 with Siri are probably the best options. 

If AP2 works for you, it might be the best option for you.

I guess if you are using AP2 to control your devices, you will have an iDevice in reach anyway!

Here is how to do this (using an iPhone):

https://youtu.be/joV_DdkJWWk

As for the very last part with the third party apps, this has changed or is about to change - it seems that Apple now (with iOS13) is more open for Siri controlling of non-Apple apps.

I think it would be best not to dream about the option for integrating a specific B&O/NL multiroom feature into the Apple eco system - that would require some heavy changes to how Apple does things.

MM

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Bronze Member
Alsfeld replied on Sun, Jan 19 2020 10:06 AM

I like this feature! Wondering how long B&O already is offering it.

In my setup I have made the experience that the synchronization is much better (no echo) when I stream to one speaker via Airplay and connect all other B&O speakers via B&O Multiroom.
Compared to connecting all B&O speakers directly to the streaming device via Airplay 2, in this case I have a very low delay (= small annoying echo) between the B&O speakers.

Do you have similar experiences?

So I am fighting with myself. Using only one app (e.g. Deezer), steaming via airplay 2, but having a low echo OR using two apps Deezer and the B&O app to group my B&O speakers.

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

I have 2 Beolab sets connected to Apple TV’s, 2 to Airport Express, A9 and recent Beosound 2 with native AirPlay 2 support. I also have a strong Google wifi mesh. There is no delay. In fact I am so impressed with the way it works that I am thinking of ditching my Beoplay P6 altogether with a Beosound 1 as a portable speaker since it supports AirPlay 2 - just ordered it on Amazon! 

Funny that in my case, getting the B&O App to play across multiple devices resulted in audio drop outs. Back in the day I bought two A6s for multi-room with an A9.  I ended up selling the A6 because the wireless didn’t work well with the B&O App. At the time, AirPlay 2 wasn’t out and the user experience wasn’t great. Now I have developed a new found love for my old and new B&O gear. 🙂

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Jan 19 2020 5:29 PM
Jaffrey2230:

I have 2 Beolab sets connected to Apple TV’s,

Are you saying you have Apple TV’s connected directly to Beolabs with no television? I would be interested in connecting a pair of Beolab 4000s to an Apple TV but did not think that is possible.

Thanks!

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Alsfeld:

.......OR using two apps Deezer and the B&O app to group my B&O speakers.

Why two apps?

Can’t you access Deezer from within the Bang & Olufsen app?

MM

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Bronze Member
Alsfeld replied on Sun, Jan 19 2020 9:25 PM

Millemissen:
Why two apps?

Main reason I do not use the B&O App is, because it does not offer Deezer „FLOW“ and „Music by Mood“ at least I did not find it. But perhaps it is as hidden as the Airplay distribution feature?

In general in my eyes the B&O App interface to Deezer and to DLNA is much too limited to really use and enjoy it.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I understand your reasons.

Personally I use the Spotify (Connect) app - even if it (with my setup/my devices) is pretty well integrated in the Bang & Olufsen app, I use two apps.

But I do not see, that as a problem!

When I use AirPlay, I use other apps too - e.g. if I want to listen to and distribute podcasts or I want to catch up on radio programmes, that I did not manage to listen to when they were originally aired.

Distributing AirPlay over the B&O multiroom has been supported for quite a long time.

This way I stay in the Bang & Olufsen app and can use the external/not integrated sources, whenever I need/prefer these.

With time you get a certain workflow - no big problems here.

Even if TuneIn and Spotify Connect are my main sources, I certainly would miss the possibility to distribute AP over B&O multiroom, if that was not possible. 

P.S.

As for ‘FLOW/Music by Mood’......that is not the way I listen to (read: use) music - I am a dedicated album listener.

So, different user cases might call for different approaches to how you use your (B&O) gear.....and the app.

MM

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

I have both Apple TV’s connected to BeoLabs when connected to TVs and AirPort Express when not connected to a TV. The AirPort Express DAC is really good. You could use an Apple TV in headless mode without a TV for audio, but you’ll need an external DAC between the Apple TV and Beolab speaker. 

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Feb 16 2020 9:58 AM

Wow, it took me 15 minutes to find the described Airplay functions in the deep deep setup menus. 

Very well hidden B&O!
Is this the Bang&Olufsen user experience to convince new customers to pay more money than for competitor products? 

Where is the official Bang & Olufsen manual or website where I can find this kind of information and all new features offered over time?
But probably B&O is ashamed of the user experience they offer to their customers, so they decided to hide (and not to communicate) all available features and offer their speaker as cheap and simple Airplay / Chromecast alternatives as all competitors do.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

HH1971:

Wow, it took me 15 minutes to find the described Airplay functions in the deep deep setup menus. 

Very well hidden B&O!

How do I distribute sound from AirPlay over Multiroom

It took me five seconds to get that information (asking Google for it) from B&O - first hit.

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/da/articles/115000942169-How-do-I-distribute-sound-from-AirPlay-over-Multiroom

Not enabling this feature as the default one is a decision made because many users/buyers may prefer to use AP2 when they have other non-B&O AP2 devices in the setup.

As you can read in the link, AP over NL and AP2 distribution will not work well together.....

.....and - really - it did not take me 15 seconds to find that option ;-)

MM

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 16 2020 12:40 PM

HH1971:
Exactly were it should be! Simply because it is not a setting used on a daily base

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Feb 23 2020 7:17 PM

Millemissen:
https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/da/articles/115000942169-How-do-I-distribute-sound-from-AirPlay-over-Multiroom

thanks for the link.

But the questions I still have:
1) where can I find the manual(s) that explains the complete set-up menu of my B&O equipment?
2) where can I find all new features of the software / app / firmware updates available? 
(so that I do not need to follow / read all threads at this forum to get some overviews what technical features are available - when somebody by accident mention is or asking for)

But probably Bang&Olufsen is already in such a bad financial situation that there is not enough money to write a detailed manual and maintain an internet page to list and explain all software / firmware updates.

mm08642
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Bronze Member
mm08642 replied on Sat, Mar 21 2020 2:03 PM

Unfortunately B&O tradition / culture is to hide information / detailed description of features available from their customers.

I never understood why Bang&Olufsen is doing it.

I could imagine the following reasons:

1. B&O thinks that they have very technical limited customers and they do not want to confuse them with too many technical information
  2. B&O want to foster their dealers, so that they are able to impress their customers
  3. B&O wants to save the money by not publishing PDF manuals
  4. B&O just does not care
Page 1 of 1 (30 items) | RSS