Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound 5 - BeoMaster 5 pairing

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member
Wild Ruedi Posted: Mon, Nov 23 2020 10:05 AM

Hello

After reading through this forum I am still uncertain how to pair BS5 and BM5. The situation is, that I have my BS 5 and a dead BM 5. Now I bought a BM 5 whitch was sold as in good order. When I connect the two units there is the usual CD ram click click but then no signs of starting up. I have read about the problem with serial numbers. I would like to remain the number of the BS 5 and sign it into the BM 5.

A step by step workaround would be very much appreciated. Service tool available, but no experience.

Thank you for any help.

Regards Ruedi

BeoVision11, BeoVision10, BeoSound 5, BeoSound 3500, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 8000, BeoSound 3200, Beosound Moment,NL/ML converter, delaybox, var.BeoPlay Speakers

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Nov 23 2020 11:56 AM

The system should boot up even though serial numbers does not match.

I would do a full clone of the system image from the Service-Tool USB, but first you need to figure out if the BM5 you got, actually is working. 

What happens when you start it up ?

/Weebyx

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Nov 23 2020 1:04 PM

Weebyx:
but first you need to figure out if the BM5 you got, actually is working. 
connect a computer screen, a USB keyboard and mouse and start the BM5 (forget the BS5 for the moment)

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Thank you for the quick reply! Plug the mains in: 

green light BM lit, CD ripper clicks, standby light BS flashes 3x per second for 2 minutes, then slow blinking 10x, then permanent on. Dark screen. I press GO on the BS, standby goes out, still dark screen. pressing button on the rear corner BS - standby light steady on. No picture, no function.

BeoVision11, BeoVision10, BeoSound 5, BeoSound 3500, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 8000, BeoSound 3200, Beosound Moment,NL/ML converter, delaybox, var.BeoPlay Speakers

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

green light BM lit, CD ripper clicks, standby light BS flashes 3x per second for 2 minutes, then slow blinking 10x, then permanent on. Dark screen. I press GO on the BS, standby goes out, still dark screen. pressing button on the rear corner BS - standby light steady on. No picture, no function.

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Thank you carolpal , good idea but how do I connect a screen? Sorry for the silly question :-)

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Thank you Carolpa! silly question: how to connect a screen to the BM?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Nov 23 2020 6:58 PM

Use the DVI, S.Video, Y-Pb-Pr or Video.

DVI is the most preferable ; Video the least

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member
Wild Ruedi replied on Mon, Nov 23 2020 11:29 PM

ok, I have to get a cable/adaptor for the laptop.

It will take some time.....

Regards Ruedi

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 10:21 AM

Wild Ruedi:

Does your BS5 show the Bang & Olufsen logo, and the Windows boot menu when powering on at the mains for the first time ?

/Weebyx

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member
Wild Ruedi replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 11:25 AM

No, black screen, not even backlight.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, Nov 24 2020 11:58 AM

Wild Ruedi:

No, black screen, not even backlight.

Having fixed quite a few of these now, it seems most likely that the BM5 you bought is not working :( Off course, there are some exceptions to that rule, if the motherboard in the BM5 has been replaced with a generic VIA EPIA board, and it has not had the BIOS flashed with the service tool, then you will need to connect a monitor to the bottom DVI port, this will show the default VIA BIOS boot, and it is possible to boot on the USB Servicetool, and do a flash of the BIOS. 

But.... again, I would call a dead BM5, sorry. But try to see if you can connect a monitor to the bottom DVI port, and see if there is any image appearing.

There is nothing you can do with the service tool, as long as you have no life from the BM5.

/Weebyx

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Well, so far no good news. I will try to connect a laptop, but I have to get the cable first. Hope dies last!

Thank you and best Regards

Ruedi

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Nov 25 2020 6:41 AM

Wild Ruedi:

Well, so far no good news. I will try to connect a laptop, but I have to get the cable first. Hope dies last!

Thank you and best Regards

Ruedi

You cannot just connect a laptop. You need a screen with DVI input, and then run a DVI cable from BM5 to the stand alone screen, the screen will then do the displaying instead of BS5.

/Weebyx

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Hi, how about a convertor cable from DVI one end to HDMI the other end and connect it to a TV?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Wed, Nov 25 2020 6:38 PM

Wild Ruedi:
Hi, how about a convertor cable from DVI one end to HDMI the other end and connect it to a TV?
in principle will work just fine!

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Hello,

some successes: it shows normal startup on TV screen, I click recovery, it works through and restarts in normal booting. Screen stays black and HDD stops.

I tried F8 : "safe start" and this is the result:

cant load the screen picture, but it says in blue:  driver IRQLnot less or equal. Phisical memory dump complete.

What does this mean? Solution?

Keep trying to upload the pictures.

thank you for the support!

Ruedi

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Nov 27 2020 5:39 PM

Wild Ruedi:
driver IRQLnot less or equal. Phisical memory dump complete.
caused by a corrupt or outdated sw driver.

Solution would normally be to go to Safe Start and adjust the driver(s), but how to trick the BM5 to just start Windows XP Embedded I can't recall (long time ago that I played with the BS5/BM5)

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

UPDATE

I have bought another BM, connect it up with my BS, power on and after some time everything is back in working order. No pairing problems!

Now I have 2 BM with software problems. Is it possible to get hold of the original BM software? 

Thank you for your help!

Regards Ruedi

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Dec 2 2020 4:31 PM

Wild Ruedi:

UPDATE

I have bought another BM, connect it up with my BS, power on and after some time everything is back in working order. No pairing problems!

Now I have 2 BM with software problems. Is it possible to get hold of the original BM software? 

Thank you for your help!

Regards Ruedi

It is on the Service Tool. You should boot up on the USB, then select Clone Entire Disk, and it will put a new image of everything on the disk. This will erase everything, also the music. Afterwards it will boot a few times, and also pair the disk with the serial number from the BS and BIOS, and all will be like original.

Then you need to do a software update to get the latest version.

But the pairing requires that this is done with a BS5 attached, and the system can start.

/Weebyx

/Weebyx

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Hi Weebyx

SUPER hint! 

This workaround solved the problems of 2 BM5. The odd one does not show pictures on the BS5. Obviously a driver problem?

Well, this experience left me with 2 working BM out of 3! 

Thank you for the support and the understanding.

Best Regards

Ruedi Wild 

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Dec 9 2020 11:32 AM

Wild Ruedi:

Hi Weebyx

SUPER hint! 

This workaround solved the problems of 2 BM5. The odd one does not show pictures on the BS5. Obviously a driver problem?

Well, this experience left me with 2 working BM out of 3! 

Thank you for the support and the understanding.

Best Regards

Ruedi Wild 

Great that helped :)

You could try the ServiceTool on the one that does not show image on BS5, just to get a clean image on the BM5. Then attach a BS5 and see what happens.

/Weebyx.

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member
Wild Ruedi replied on Thu, Dec 10 2020 11:06 AM

HI Weebyx

Black screen - but I can hear the clicks when moving the indicator. The system probably works but the graphic driver is gone. The last hot, test would be to swap the HD from a good BM5.

What do you think ?

Regards Ruedi

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 6:39 AM

Wild Ruedi:

HI Weebyx

Black screen - but I can hear the clicks when moving the indicator. The system probably works but the graphic driver is gone. The last hot, test would be to swap the HD from a good BM5.

What do you think ?

Regards Ruedi

If the BS5 control works, and you can hear clicks from the BS5, I would just try that BS5 with a known good BM5, to see if it is BS or BM that is defect. I doubt it is a graphics driver.

No harm will be done in swapping BS5 to another BM5 for testing. I think it is either the BS5 display that is dead, or the masterlink/graphics board on the BM5.

No need to swap disks, just mix BS5 and BM5 and find out which part is having issues. Also try other cables between BS and BM.

If it turns out it is BM that is having problems, I think it is the masterlink connection board. If the BM starts and responds to controls, and clicks, the WinXP is up and running, and will probably have crashed on account of the video driver.

/Weebyx

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member
Wild Ruedi replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 10:51 AM

Hi Weebyx

sorry for the delay. I have tried all combinations and the one BM does not give a video signal. Strange enough it brings a picture of the Windows application to the connected TV -but not to the BS display. After the starting up even the TV stays black. It looks as if the B&O driver is defect.

This BM is good for spares only. With your help I have 2 working BM left. The one with SSD is in daily use and runs perfect.

Do you have experience with BS Encore? I have a unit which does not start up anymore, after a household power brake down due to a thunderstorm.

I am looking for the repair manual, since it is different from BS5/BM5.

Regards

Ruedi

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS