Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 5 ENCORE network configuration problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
Francois00 Posted: Thu, Dec 10 2020 10:32 AM

Hello,

I encounter a strange problem: my Beosound 5 ENCORE cannot connect anymore to the network because it has suddenly a bad configuration.

In "Settings" "Advanced" I can see the DHCP is disabled. Ok, I place it on "enabled", enter Go, then "Store" and the response is "Failed!". I don't know why.

All the fields IP address, subnet mask... are empty. I know the correct values to place it but I don't know how to enter and store it in the BS5.

As I'm living 3 hours driving from the next B&O store in normal weather conditions and seeing the snow falling, I don't think it would be a good idea to drive my car so long for that!

I've also phoned to the retailer, no help, B&O on Facebook inconclusive. So, I have to manage it myself.

I have no problems with computers and networks but I'm not a B&O technician.

Of course, I've tried to unplug the BS5, changed the RJ45 cable, reboot the router, reboot the BS5... anything I can imagine (logic or not).

Not yet a shaman or a sorcerer!

May someone help me?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

François

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Dec 10 2020 5:32 PM

Just try a recovery. In most cases that will help. Not logical, but effective. 

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Beobuddy:

Just try a recovery. In most cases that will help. Not logical, but effective. 

Beobuddy what do you call 'recovery"? I have reboot or restore factory settings. I didn't see your recovery procedure.

Thanks for a little help more!

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Beobuddy what do you call exactly a recovery? Thanks

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 12:56 AM

Notwithstanding the factory restore, you could go into the service menu and set the network settings there, open a command  window (CMD in the run... menu item on the main windows menu) and try to ping www.google.com. If that works, then the rest should do - if it doesn’t, the repair the network connection. If no luck there, then factory restore (assuming your network is actually connected!)

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 12:19 PM

I’ve had several occasions where changing settings inside menu’s didn’t work. Customers or servicemenu. Didn’t work. 
So, the recovery option was finally solving the network issue. Assuming that cables, router settings are checked.
Recovery can be chosen at the start when the BS5 is powered, or via service menu. Music will be saved.  

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Beobuddy frog

is the recovery what I see as factory settings restore?

I did it and maybe the problems came from there, my BS5 didn't light on itself after that, I'll did it myself pressing the Go button. I suspect the process didn't achieve correctly.

How do you go in the service menu? I don't have this in the BS5 Encore.

Connect a laptop with Windows XP?  through a crossover cable?

I can do that and then?

I've found how to enter a fixed IP address, mask, gateway, DNS  but, as the DHCP, it doens't want to store it and says briefly "connecting" and then "Failed!".

This is THE problem: I have no connection because the DHCP is off and I can't store the IP parameters.

Thanks for your help, I hope we could find an issue soon!

François

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 5:17 PM

To get to service menu, you need to connect a mouse and keyboard to your BS5 (or sometimes just a mouse, depending on what you need to do).  Then, you select "service menu" from the BS5 (go to "settings", then press >>, <<, >>, <<, GO, then select "Maintenance", then select "service men").  After you select "service menu" from the BS5 menu, the BS5 display becomes a computer monitor which shows the Windows XP screen which you can then control through mouse and keyboard.  I use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that I normally use with my laptop so I just plug the keyboard's bluetooth dongle into one of the USB ports, go to the service menu, and then you're in windows.

Hope this helps,

Stan

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
Francois00 replied on Tue, Dec 15 2020 10:42 AM

Stan   this procedure doesn't applies to the Beosound 5 Encore which is not running Windows XP but Linux.

There is no need of a keyboard, the service menu has two choices: reboot or restore the factory parameters, you can access it with the arrows.

I did both. Nothing changed!

Has anybody an other idea?

For example connecting a laptop wth Windows XP and then... ? I have one. A crossover cable too if necessary.

Maybe some tools are mandatory for checking the lan card if there is one and to force the DHCP to be enabled back.

Thanks for your help.

François

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Tue, Dec 15 2020 1:28 PM

You're mixing things up.

Stan is right on how to enter the servicemenu from the BS5 (with the BM5 as black box).

The Beosound Encore isn't a Beosound 5. So, about which product are we actually arguing?

You might try first some kind of netanalyzer or enter your isp modem/router, to see which ip-adres the BS encore.BS5 has been given.

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Beobuddy I've always talked abaut Beosound 5 Encore, that's the product I own.

I've searched it on my network before you suggest me to do it and din't find it.

Of course, that's THE problem:  DHCP has been desactvated, I don't know why, it's impossible to reactivate it with the BS5 Encore tools and impossible too to enter a valid IP address.

And no IP address + no DHCP = no network connection, nothing to see in the net analyser.

Nothing was changed in my router and all other equipments are OK. You can read me? So, it works.

Now I think there is two solutions:

- trying to solve the problem connecting a laptop with tools.

- throw the Beosound 5 Encore to the bin.

I prefer the first one.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Tue, Dec 15 2020 6:14 PM

Francois00:

Hello,

I encounter a strange problem: my Beosound 5....

There the cause of the confusion.

I assume that you've checked your networkcable, I don't have any experience with the BS Encore.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Tue, Dec 15 2020 6:20 PM

Francois00:
- throw the Beosound 5 Encore to the bin.
please let me know which bin Big Smile

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Tue, Dec 15 2020 6:28 PM

Did you try WIFI?

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Beobuddy  Sorry, I've written Encore sometimes only.

Yesterday, I've checked with 4 different cables. Same thing. And if you think about it, it could be a problem but not in this case: I have no DHCP AND no fix address. Impossible to change those parameters.

I know only one way to force it to rebuild the entire listings of the music: restoring the factory settings. This option exists but always have been in grey.

I did it several times after having changed too many things in the USB HDD attached, always fine.

I suspect this time this operation had encountered a problem because I had network connection just before.

I think the B&O tools allows to boot on USB and flash a new system image in BS5 or BM5.

I'm pretty sure that would be the solution to my problem.

But I don't have it.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Carolpa as mentioned, I have no more DHCP default option (blocked on disabled) and no fix IP address.

So the WiFi connection can't operate.

I think my system has been corrupted as I described in my last post and the solution is to replace it with a new image via USB which is running well.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François 

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Tue, Dec 15 2020 7:02 PM

Francois00:
I think the B&O tools allows to boot on USB and flash a new system image in BS5 or BM5.
Incorrect
Francois00:
I'm pretty sure that would be the solution to my problem.
No.

I would factory reset the BS5e.

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Sorry, I did it ... several times.

As I've written up there, I suspect it has caused my problem with a bad termination for any reason.

I had network and N.Radio BEFORE to do it.

Not now. The RJ45 port is unusable, I have to find a solution with the USB port which works fine.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Tue, Dec 15 2020 7:13 PM

Another long shot, can you retrieve the MAC address from the BS5e? Then assign the MAC address to a specific ip-address in your router?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Tue, Dec 15 2020 7:20 PM

Francois00:
Sorry, I did it ... several times.
just to be sure.............rebooted the BS5e or did you factory reset the BS5e

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
Francois00 replied on Wed, Dec 16 2020 10:17 AM

Beobuddy  yes, of course. And I did it too. But nothing, it's a simple network problem: no address in the BS5 Encore, no network. If you want to receive a letter, the postman has to know your address, it's the same thing.

As all other things are running well, I think the OS of the BS5 Encore to have a problem, probably caused by the first attempt to return to factory settings which didn't achieve correctly.

As far as I know, flashing a complete new OS would be the solution.

We have to forgot the network for reparing it, Only the USB port may be used now.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
Francois00 replied on Wed, Dec 16 2020 10:20 AM

Carolpa  yes both, several times. And it's probably the cause of the problem as I decsribed it.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Wed, Dec 16 2020 1:11 PM
Francois00:

Carolpa yes both, several times. And it's probably the cause of the problem as I decsribed it.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François

and was everything unplugged (except the mainsUnsure) while factory resetting

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
Hello,
Don't search no more, my Beosound 5 Encore runs perfectly with the network back.
It really was a software problem and I've found the solution.
Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas.
Best regards,

François

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 6:53 PM

Francois00:
It really was a software problem and I've found the solution.
please elaborate

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Hello,

As I've founded the solution by myself without any valuable help and considering the price of the B&O products, it's not my job to repair the problems for free.

So, I'm thinking to sell this efficient solution if anyone is interested.

Merry Christmas,

François

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Wed, Dec 23 2020 4:28 PM

Francois00:
Hello,

As I've founded the solution by myself without any valuable help and considering the price of the B&O products, it's not my job to repair the problems for free.

So, I'm thinking to sell this efficient solution if anyone is interested.

Merry Christmas,

François

hey Francois

You want information for free, but don’t want to share a found solution. Only if I pay??  That is quite a contradiction on this forum. 

An impersonation of Scrooge by saying: "Merry Christmas".?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

+1 from me.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

But I didn't receive any valuable informations.

I've foud the cause of the problem and the solution only by myself.

I'm sure B&O people are reading this forum.

They sell their products and the reparations ... So,me too.

My B&O retailer told me this was caused by the lan card which was broken! Sure! Big Smile

Merry Christmas,

François

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Thu, Dec 24 2020 3:01 PM

Francois00:

My B&O retailer told me this was caused by the lan card which was broken! Sure! Big Smile

Merry Christmas,

François

Fine, good for you!

But I will not share information with you again, ....... your luck.

To my opinion members with this kind of attitude should be banned.

Merry Christmas to you also 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Francois00:

My B&O retailer told me this was caused by the lan card which was broken! Sure! Big Smile

Merry Christmas,

François

No, but your intention was to receive that kind of information....for free, when you first posted.

People on this forum - even those who more or less work for B&O - share their solutions for free (or they choose not to share).

Some of these solutions come from long and persistent testing and from what you usually call hard-earned, longlife experience.

That is the reason why Carolpa reacts as he does.....I fully agree with him.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Dec 25 2020 4:59 AM

Millemissen:
That is the reason why Carolpa reacts as he does.....I fully agree with him.
thx

I heard from the first sales he has ordered his first Ferrari Whistle 

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 245
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Fri, Dec 25 2020 7:01 AM

swissdude
Not Ranked
Zurich Switzerland
Posts 4
Bronze Member
swissdude replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 11:36 AM

Hi Francois, did you need the Service tool to reload the firmware ? I must say that It does kind of go against the spirit of the Forum to want to charge. If you have a reasonable amount in mind I would pay a small fee. I have an Beosound 5 Encore with the same issue. If this doesnt solve the issue, do I then get my money back ?

Beolab 4000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 8000, Beolab 7-4 / Beocenter 1, Beovision 9/ Beosound 1 CD, Beosound 3, Beosound 5 Encore, Beolit 12/ Beocom 2

Francois00
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member

Hello,

Maybe you have a USB HDD attached with too many songs? That's the initial cause of my problem.

I think the maximum has to be between 40 000 and 50 000 songs.

If you approach the limit, the system is freezing, you have to delete some albums from the HDD and try to rebuild indexes.

Often, the solution is to reset factory settings but, sometimes, it fails with a strange result, for example, no more network.

Even if the network, cable... everything is OK.

There is no need to pay anything, it was kind of a joke because I didn't get any help (including B&O retailer!), I was able to give networks lessons to the other saying ... did you test... yes, it's done, it works!!!

So, my solution is not really what you can call that but the  result of strange manipulations and the hazard.

As often.

So, here it goes:

- you need a cordless USB keyboard. The one of your PC if you have.

- put your BS5 in  service menu, go to "settings", then press >>, <<, >>, <<, GO, then select "Maintenance"

- insert the dongle of your USB keyboard in the USB port of your BS5 Encore

- select REBOOT and Go.

That's all folks!

Normally it runs fine.

I really don't know why, don't ask me, it's not logic for me or if I have an explanation, it's not clear at all.

The idea is that the system failed and to force it to reboot correctly, you have to change something in the hardware configuration.

Maybe you can try a USB mouse if you don't have a keyboard, it probably runs with anyhing else than a HDD plugged in this port while rebooting.

And, double check your HDD with Windows. If you have errors, it may cause problems.

Empty the bin also.

Try all that and tell me if it is succesful.

Bon courage.

Best regards,

François

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 5:55 PM

Francois00:
it was kind of a joke
Francois00:
- you need a cordless USB keyboard.