Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

4004 Tone arm wiring disconnected

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

hammer_smyth
Not Ranked
NYC
Posts 29
Bronze Member
hammer_smyth Posted: Sun, Apr 25 2021 8:55 PM

Hi,

Lone time reader and enjoyer of my Beogram 4004, which I acquired in 2010. I've had various small issues over the years and basic repair skills, but need some assistance with a wiring issue.

Two wires (blue and green) in the tone arm have come loose as you can see in the images below. I don't know where to re solder them to.

Any help much appreciated!

H

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Apr 26 2021 2:28 AM

Here is a blog post I made last year of a Beogram 4002 phono cartridge connector replacement.
It shows the wiring you are asking about. The Beogram 4004 is the same as the one I show in the photos.

-sonavor

hammer_smyth
Not Ranked
NYC
Posts 29
Bronze Member

Thank you so much, this is the underside photo I needed to confirm my guess. Tough soldering assignment ahead, but thank you!

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Apr 26 2021 3:45 AM

What I do is remove the tangential arm assembly from the spindle and rails...then turned it upside down to solder.  If you are good with a soldering iron and working from a mirror then doing it in place is possible. I just don't like to risk the hot soldering iron bumping something it shouldn't :-).

Go slowly and careful should be fine though.

Do you know how those two wires came off?  It is very unusual as there is nothing pulling on those wires. 

-sonavor

hammer_smyth
Not Ranked
NYC
Posts 29
Bronze Member

I'm going to try the slow and steady approach with a mirror...wish me luck.

I was hunting for a problem and decided to check the tone arm. I think I pulled it back too far and dislodged these wires, which are shorter than the others. So, an unforced error on my part.

H

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS