Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 1202 won't play 33 or 25

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 Posted: Sun, Jul 4 2021 6:16 PM

I picked up a second BG 1202 knowing that it wouldn't play 33 or 25. It's in mint condition on the outside and inside, no dust at all.

Anyway when the knob is turned to ON nothing happens, when turned to 33 and 25 nothing happens as well when pressing lift. At 17 it starts and move the arm to the right spot but it does so on it's own without me pressing lift.

The funny thing is that when turned upside down and turning the know to ON it starts running.

Any ideas?

Peter

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jul 4 2021 6:23 PM

Misadjusted switch?

Martin

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member

Dunno. You mean the Knob switch? The knob it self?
And then there's the strange thing that it starts when upside down..

Peter

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jul 4 2021 7:11 PM

The switch associated with the lift button and ON position.
Normally you will not run the deck upside down but rather lift it up and inspect it from underneath.

Martin

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member

So checked the switch beneath the lift button and the switch associated with the ON position next to the motor. Both seems to work fine mechanical and the same way as my other deck.

Still when upside up nothing except on 17 where it starts as soon as I turn the knob to 17 and pulls in the arm and lowers it.

Puzzled.

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 replied on Tue, Jul 6 2021 12:43 PM

Digged further into it and checked it against my working unit. All switches seems to be working and everything is the right places.

As previously the motor runs when upside down and the LIFT switch turns it on but is not able to turn it off. When pressing LIFT to turn it on the relay clicks but nothing when pressing to turn it off and I have to pull the plug.

When upside up the only thing that work is 17 including the pu arm. The yellow lamp is on as soon as it is plugged in. Sometimes the motor or trafo hums.

Really don't know what to look for, think it something electrical but on the other hand the motor runs upside down except it won't shut down.

I have tried to run it with a new belt and still only 17 that works.

Any ideas is much appreciated.

Peter

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jul 6 2021 1:51 PM

The function of the LIFT button depends greatly on the rotation of the cam wheel.
The LIFT button doesn't switch the Beogram on or off, it merely triggers the solenoid inside the relay box. The rest happens as the cam wheel rotates (driven by the platter motor).
Is the small spring at the operating arms for the relay box missing?

Martin

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member

Thanks Martin,

That all makes sense and the spring seems to be there.

So four things comes to mind:

1. The motor doesn't run when turning the knob to ON.
2. When the knob is at 30 the motor doesn't start when pressing lift.
3. When the knob is turned to 17 it starts and move the arm to the right spot but it does so on it's own without me pressing lift.
4. The motor runs when upside down and I bet if I put the belt on the rest will follow, but then the pu arm will get into play as well and that might no be such a good idea upside down.

Could it be a short somewhere? Or a loose connection that's not loose upside down?

Peter

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member

Update!

It turned out the idler wheel assembly was completely stuck. After a few drops of oil it came back to life :-)
As said the deck is almost like new haven't seen much use if any, that's probably why it was stuck.

So now it is spinning completely silent but when turning it on there's a terrible noise in the loudspeakers. It's not from the pickup, have tried with a different one. My guess is the very old DIN plug, will take a look at that tomorrow.

Idler wheel assembly

Old DIN plug

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member

Or could it be the mute / silent contact causing the noise in the speakers?
When turning the knob to to 30 there's a couple of loud booms and when the pickup arm lowers the noise switch to a more consistent noise.

Peter

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 replied on Tue, Jul 13 2021 10:23 AM

OK, the DIN plug was broken inside and the black wire almost disconnected, so that accounts for some of the noise. I got a new plug and soldered the wires on after making sure there were continuity on all wires. So now it plays without weird noises, so far so good.

There's still a constant humming in the speakers though, at least I think it was there before as well. I can't locate anything that would cause it, tried with another pickup to no avail.
But what's strange is that the humming is still there when I unplug the power cord and it gets worse when I turn the deck upside down and when I touch the metal inside and actually also when touching the aluminum top plate. Very weird!

Any suggestions on where to look?

Peter

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 replied on Wed, Jul 21 2021 9:59 AM

Problem solved! The new plug was garbage so bought a way better one and now all is good :-)

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS