Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What do we think we will see in 2022?

rated by 0 users
This post has 102 Replies | 2 Followers

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Mon, Jan 31 2022 10:48 PM

Chris i hope you are right

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Mon, Jan 31 2022 10:48 PM

Chris i hope you are right

MJ
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Bronze Member
MJ replied on Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:08 PM

BeoPlay 500 headphones

...obviously headphones Huh? because in the current line-up there are too few...?

LINK

matteventu
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member

MJ:

BeoPlay 500 headphones

...obviously headphones Huh? because in the current line-up there are too few...?

LINK

Ohh I'm very curious about those Beoplay 500!!

There's the PS/PC version of the Beoplay Portal coming out probably around summer.

Apart from that, I can't forsee any newer and cheaper other pair of headphones coming.

In the last few years B&O have made it quite clear that they're raising prices of the entry-level products (see the connected speakers segment, where M5 is being replaced by Emerge that objectively audio-wise is inferior in every way, and costs even 50% more... Emerge can be classified as a successor of the M3, which costed about half of it), however a successor of the H4 at more than £300 don't make any sense as they would clash with the HX (which are always on discount between 340 and 400 GBP) - in addition to that, there's not much they could do to differentiate an ipotetic H4 3rd Gen from the HX unless they wanted to purposefully remove features that in 2022 all competitors offer at even a much much lower price (i.e. in 2019 it could have made sense to launch entry-level headphones without ANC, now it doesn't, especially considering that they couldn't even make then with ANC "worse" than that of HX given that the HX themselves have ANC that's worse than the H9 3rd Gen).

And below £300, it's quite clear that it's an area they lost interest into (the only exception being bluetooth speakers as it's been the only category that consistently provided decent sales in that market range).

B&O entry-level headphones (and gear, in general) had the main purpose of raising brand awareness. Duty that now, thanks to investments in other areas, is being fullfilled via other means (mainly, licensing agreements such as those with HP, Verizon, Microsoft, Sagemcom, Cisco, SK Broadband, Ford, and others - not to mention all of the collaborations with "fashion houses").

Very curious to see where these Beoplay 500 will be positioned in the lineup, I hope (slightly) above the H95.

I've been extremely unhappy of the headphones launched after H9 3rd Gen (H95, HX, Portal) in terms of craftmanship. I hope these will be worth their price tag.

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Feb 1 2022 7:18 PM

Good grief. I don't even own one pair of headphones. Not a single pair. They must be selling headphones like carmarkers are selling SUVs in the USA.

I'm still crossing my fingers for something with a "BeoLab" prefix to it this year. I'm hoping for a BL17 replacement most of all. Or a BL50 replacement, though I know this is less likely.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Tue, Feb 1 2022 8:29 PM

I agree with both of you, it’d be fantastic to see both a new Beolab and headphones positioned above the H95. The H95 really set the bar high for me, so I’m very curious about what the 500 will become. I’m also realistic though. I think they’ll not able to make anything better than the H95 a couple of years later. Maybe around their 100th anniversary. I may be wrong though. But then again, hasn’t there been some talk about that the H95 was never meant to be for as long in the line-up as other headphones? The 500 could be its replacement. The naming is strange in any case. How is the number 500 so important? I understand 95.

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Wed, Feb 2 2022 12:39 AM

Curly:
I'm hoping for a BL17 replacement most of all.

Absolutely not happening from what I’ve gathered.

I was extremely close to getting a pair of 17’s before they were EOL’d but back then I thought that they were going to be replaced and hence I held off. Your BL17 replacement is the Balance. Seriously speaking though the Balance (as a stereo pair anyway) costs more than a BL17 pair and they also sound better. The Balance is honestly more deserving of the BeoLab prefix but I can see why they still call it a BeoSound. I’m aware that they’re very different products from a placement and mourning perspective, but it is what it is right now.

Also given current prices even if a BL17 replacement were to come into fruition it would probably cost more than the BL18’s (at launch anyway). That said from what I’ve heard there’s definitely no plans to launch a successor to the BL17 anytime soon.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Wed, Feb 2 2022 9:18 AM

Regarding headphones.

I have taken another look at the FCC entry and what I actually find intriguing is that the Product Purpose claims the Beoplay 500 headphones are going to be "Wireless Headphones", whereas the entry for the Portal states "Wireless Gaming Headphones" and the H95 was registered as "Bluetooth Headphone". So the 500 seems to be wireless-capable (beyond Bluetooth) but not targeted as gaming headphones.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Feb 2 2022 11:49 AM

Which explains why the will also release a USB audio dongle. The 500 could be an audiophile wireless headphone for home use.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

As a vague guess, maybe it is a product like the Audioquest Dragonfly? 

A dongle-based DAC (with or without Wifi/WISA as always remember....bluetooth is not Hi-Res?). USB C plugin (Android perhaps, not iPhone)

Seems too complicated, advanced and forward-thinking for B&O Beoplay range. Ockham's razor suggests its probably just a headphone in a new colour?

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

BeoAnna:

...though the Balance (as a stereo pair anyway) costs more than a BL17 pair and they also sound better.

Oh!? Well now you made me think. Smile I do have a pair of BL17 and I am actually delighted how they sound... ...that would make a pair of Balance an intriguing option. Especially, because they are based on Mozart platform - so pretty futureproof.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Wed, Feb 2 2022 12:10 PM

mbee:

Which explains why the will also release a USB audio dongle. The 500 could be an audiophile wireless headphone for home use.

That would indeed be my hope :).

matteventu
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member

Interesting discovery about the Beoplay 500! I thought the dongle would be for the PS/PC Beoplay Portal, but yeah actually it may share the same kind of proprietary low-latency and hi-res wireless connection with the Beoplay 500 too.

BeoAnna:

Curly:
I'm hoping for a BL17 replacement most of all.

Absolutely not happening from what I’ve gathered.

I was extremely close to getting a pair of 17’s before they were EOL’d but back then I thought that they were going to be replaced and hence I held off. Your BL17 replacement is the Balance. Seriously speaking though the Balance (as a stereo pair anyway) costs more than a BL17 pair and they also sound better. The Balance is honestly more deserving of the BeoLab prefix but I can see why they still call it a BeoSound. I’m aware that they’re very different products from a placement and mourning perspective, but it is what it is right now.

Also given current prices even if a BL17 replacement were to come into fruition it would probably cost more than the BL18’s (at launch anyway). That said from what I’ve heard there’s definitely no plans to launch a successor to the BL17 anytime soon.

It's a pity that Balance and other Beosound Mozart-based products don't support WiSA though, while Beolab 17 do. Perhaps that's what now defines Beosound vs Beolab naming, the support to WiSA?

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Wed, Feb 2 2022 4:48 PM

Anna, it's good to have you posting more frequently on the Board. You've had some recent shopping experience that's been fun to hear about. Thanks for sharing your insights.

RE: Balance instead of BL17 replacement... I've heard folks claim Balance sounds amazing and could maybe even serve as an informal BL17 replacement.

But of course, without Powerlink and the ability to connect to BeoVisions... and without a really good wall-mount solution so the speaker could function as a surround speaker... I think Balance needs a bit of work to be a BL17 replacement formally. Frankly, I think the design doesn't lend itself to being a wall-mounted surround speaker or front-left or front-right like a BL17. I know STB has some wall brackets for it but... aesthetically, it seems like mounting a flower pot on the wall.

I'm still hoping to see a BeoLab bookshelf!

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I posted a comment on this thread well over 8 hours ago and it was placed into moderation.

The post has not been posted, nor has any response declining the post been made. 

I believe this is unacceptable behaviour by the Beoworld Moderation team and policy should be reviewed internally.

thank you 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Mr 10Percent:

I posted a comment on this thread well over 8 hours ago and it was placed into moderation.

The post has not been posted, nor has any response declining the post been made. 

I believe this is unacceptable behaviour by the Beoworld Moderation team and policy should be reviewed internally.

thank you 

Easy now!

Those guys are doing a great job keeping the Forum stable and secure, but they are not working 24/7.

Please be patient.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

moxxey:

swestland:

If that's going to be the case many Eclipse owners will be slapped in the face again. As with the v1 they have been told the screen would be upgradeable. Then v2 came out as LG changed the panels, and now with v2 it could happen again. So this supposed 'partnership' is just B&O buying LG screens...

Who said there's a partnership? I think that's just something speculated here and sales people at your dealership like to tell you to get people to buy an Eclipse. LG doesn't design panels for B&O. It might help them link up their products through software, but not much more beyond this.

Thinking you can drop in a new LG panel in 5 years is bizarre. Would you truly believe the LG 2021 panel (G1) will be exactly the same shape and design as a 2026 panel? Incredible.

Interestingly though, the B&O page does state (perhaps oddly) "A Fusion of Sound and Images... Eclipse is the first result of a new strategic technology partnership between LG Electronics and Bang & Olufsen. Whistle

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/gb/televisions/beovision-eclipse 

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 9:18 AM

I would like to see a good vertical speaker with a clock display like the old Beosound 3. No Kvadrat, just aluminium, clock display, reliable, robust and good sound.

BOSE has something like this with its Home Speaker 500 but... it's no B&O ;-)

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Fri, Feb 4 2022 1:45 PM

Curly:
Anna, it's good to have you posting more frequently on the Board. You've had some recent shopping experience that's been fun to hear about. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Haha my pleasure. It’s been quite a ride this year that’s for sure and I was dreadfully close to just throwing in the towel and giving up with the brand. Been really busy with life and this was really the worst time for both of my new B&O purchases of the year to go wrong (one Balance and one H95). Oh well. I know I come across as a bit “ranty” at times but I’m exceedingly passionate about my hobbies and I take my music listening extremely seriously since it’s my downtime from life and to get away from my monitor.

Most importantly though I actually dedicate most of my time to music buying and listening, so it annoys me to no end when my equipment which is supposed to help me deliver my music to me falls apart for incredibly silly reasons.

But yeah I saw STB’s Balance wall mount and can only go “lol.” And this is coming from someone who had her BeoSound 2 wall mounted. The Balance just doesn’t work on the wall unless you have some very intelligently made custom furniture to blend with it. Will definitely miss the 17’s though they were really wall (and even ceiling) mount friendly, so on that basis alone it was a little weird seeing them discontinued without a replacement.

Time will tell I guess, sometimes I still wonder if I should’ve picked up a final batch BL17 when I had the chance.

Gaea
Not Ranked
South of Netherlands
Posts 72
Gold Member
Gaea replied on Fri, Feb 4 2022 2:57 PM

Mmm, a speaker that looks like a copy of the Beolab 50, but with the size of a BS2 or BS Balance.

Maybe slightly bigger.

That would be nice, such a timeless design!

Beosound 5 Encore, Beolab 3, Beolab 11, Beosound Balance Non GVA, H9i

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Fri, Feb 4 2022 5:06 PM

Anna, my dealer has a pair of silver BL17 for sale currently, fyi...

Asking USD$2800 on floor stands.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Fri, Feb 4 2022 6:14 PM

Gaea:

Mmm, a speaker that looks like a copy of the Beolab 50, but with the size of a BS2 or BS Balance.

Maybe slightly bigger.

That would be nice, such a timeless design!

I can see what you mean, had the same feeling the other day about some mini BeoLab 90s :).

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Tue, Feb 22 2022 11:40 PM

trackbeo:
(4) Sonos will fire that programmer who insists "tap to join" is too poorly specified to implement in their multi-source/zone system, and will (finally) add B&O's feature to their speakers.
Don't you just hate it when you throw a really good snit and turn out to be... totally wrong?!?Super AngryErm..  Turns out Sonos had *already* implemented the tap-to-join feature, activated by a long-press on the play button of any idle speaker!  The uncertainty of what to join when multiple zones are playing different sources, is overcome by optional subsequent long-presses, which switch round-robin thru each playing zone in succession.

Page 3 of 3 (103 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS