Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 5 and 2 A1s?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw Posted: Sat, Feb 5 2022 10:20 PM
I have two A1 2nd generation as result of a gift that I have been using in my office at work. They work great for what I use them there for, except I have to repair them each morning to each other. Also, I am controlling the volume with a BR1 through my iPad but it has to be repaired each morning to the iPad.

I know, these are very minor issues. However, today I had a crazy thought….I have a Beosound 5 I am not using. Could I connect the A1s to the Beosound 5? The unused Beosound 5 would look nice sitting in my office and then I could use the BR1 to start music, or the BS5 itself. I looked at cables and think I could do a Powerlink to RJ45 and then an RJ45 to USB-C. Would this work? Thanks!

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

Stereo pair the A1’s to a £30 Bluetooth transmitter from Amazon with Line In.

Connect the line in on the BT transmitter to the BM5 and that should work as far as it can

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Feb 5 2022 11:16 PM
Thanks….but I think you misunderstood what I want to do. I can connect an A1 to a computer with a USB to USB-C cable and thus play music from the computer through the A1.

My question is with the right cables would I be able to connect my two A1s to my Beosound 5, just as I would 4000s or other speakers. So my thought was two PowerLink cables connected to the BS5/BM5 Powerlink connections. If they were PowerLink to RJ45 cables, I could then get RJ45 to USB-C cables that would then connect to each A1.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Razlaw,

In the days when I was travelling and staying in hotels I took my pair of A1s with me to use as a stereo pair. At that time there was an iPhone bluetooth software issue, and Steve of SoundsHeavenly made a cable for me very similar to his cable for Beolab 4: iPhone headphone out to two mono 3.5mm jacks in (one jack for left channel, one for right). Each A1 only received one channel.

Yes, this is analog only, but no pairing annoyances and no dropouts. I’m sure he could do one for you from 8-pin DIN Powerlink to 2 x 3.5mm jacks.

Lawrence
Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 3:34 AM

Since you don't mention a line-in, I assume you have the A1 mk2s. AFAIK, the USB on the A1 mk2s requires a digital input so it it takes more than a pass through cable as you suggest.  Not sure, but I would definitely drop SoundsHeavenly a line.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 4:09 AM
Stan:

Since you don't mention a line-in, I assume you have the A1 mk2s. AFAIK, the USB on the A1 mk2s requires a digital input so it it takes more than a pass through cable as you suggest. Not sure, but I would definitely drop SoundsHeavenly a line.

Thanks! Yes I have 2nd Generation. I think you are right and it will not work.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Razlaw,

Unfortunately the 2nd gen A1s don't have a Line input, so I can't make a cable for those, but the 1st gen version can be easily stereo paired via a cable.  The other option (as mentioned above) is to add a Bluetooth transmitter and cable that to the Beosound so that you don't need to keep re-pairing the speakers.  I can help with that cable if required!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 3:07 PM
Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Razlaw,

Unfortunately the 2nd gen A1s don't have a Line input, so I can't make a cable for those, but the 1st gen version can be easily stereo paired via a cable. The other option (as mentioned above) is to add a Bluetooth transmitter and cable that to the Beosound so that you don't need to keep re-pairing the speakers. I can help with that cable if required!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Thanks! I was going to email you later this week after your store opens again to ask you about cables.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 4:06 PM

Hi Razlaw,

Unfortunately the 2nd gen A1s don't have a Line input, so I can't make a cable for those, but the 1st gen version can be easily stereo paired via a cable. The other option (as mentioned above) is to add a Bluetooth transmitter and cable that to the Beosound so that you don't need to keep re-pairing the speakers. I can help with that cable if required!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Reread your message, and my apologies….I am not really understanding how that would work, what the setup/connections would be?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi,

No problem, you just need to buy a Bluetooth transmitter (sorry I don't sell these) and connect it to the Beosound 5 with a cable (I DO sell these!).  This lets you link to the A1 speakers wirelessly.  Please feel free to get in touch tomorrow via my website when it re-opens and I can help further.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 2:15 AM

Hi,

No problem, you just need to buy a Bluetooth transmitter (sorry I don't sell these) and connect it to the Beosound 5 with a cable (I DO sell these!). This lets you link to the A1 speakers wirelessly. Please feel free to get in touch tomorrow via my website when it re-opens and I can help further.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Thanks again for the information. Today I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of Emerges from my dealer. I did not think there were any here in the US yet. Because of that purchase I am either going to use a pair of my 4000s with the BS5 or possibly the Emerges. Just watched your review and saw that you mentioned using the Emerge with a BM5. If I decide to use the Emerges with the BS5, I certainly know where to go for the cables. One question, would I get left/right sound if I do that as the Emerge does not have the Left/Right switch like the 4000s?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Razlaw,

That is good news!  I can provide a cable that splits the sound to send the correct sound to each speaker.  Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below when you are ready and I will be happy to help.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS