Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovox P45 Thrift Store Rescue

This post has 79 Replies | 3 Followers

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

I reshimmed the inside of the voice coil, then repaired the spider by simply painting The Wet Look along the side of the spider.  I ended up applying 3 coats, letting the woofer set 20 minutes after each coat.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

And then I reglued the dust cap.  I will let this woofer set overnight, then solder the braided wire back on the leads in the morning when I start working on the crossovers.

Speaking of the crossovers:  I ordered the parts for those from Michigan on Wednesday and got them today.  Still don't have the glue kit I ordered from Florida.  What's that about?

The last thing I did tonight was attach another rubber surround to the basket.  By tomorrow night I should have two woofers completely done.

Ƨcɑɽɑɱɑnɡɑ
Top 10 Contributor
Khao Phing Kan
Posts 6,662
Bronze Member

Rich:
Still don't have the glue kit I ordered from Florida.  What's that about?

How about its chemical composition? This stuff always seemed like rebadged ... white glue!!!

• One B&o bottle opener
  • One fancy gun
Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 4:59 PM

ɓʋɾɑɳɫɘɮ:

Rich:
Still don't have the glue kit I ordered from Florida.  What's that about?

How about its chemical composition? This stuff always seemed like rebadged ... white glue!!!

The kit I'm waiting for has four different adhesives, but you're right.  Whether it's "The Wet Look," "Mod Podge," or somebody's speaker refoaming glue, it always looks and acts like PVA, water-down PVA, or extra thick PVA!

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

Status update on the woofers:  two fully repaired and ready to go; one at the rubber surround reattachment phase; and one patiently waiting his turn with the shims and clamps.

These two got their leads resoldered this morning, plus I did the touch up paint all over.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

I desoldered the crossovers this morning as well.  This shot shows one crossover with the capacitors and the resistors removed, and the second crossover as removed from the speaker. 

One approach to refurbing these crossovers would be to just swap out new electrolytic capacitors for the old electrolytic capacitors.  You could just snip the leads of the old and put in the new.

But that's not how I roll.

You can see on both boards I've circled two of the mounting holes.  This is two-way reminder:  (1) obviously this tells you which holes to use when screwing the board back into the speaker; and (2) it serves to remind me NOT TO COVER THE DAMN THING!!!!  Yes, I've done that very thing in the past (Beovox P30s).

Also, you can see I've left a yellow and a red wire on the desoldered board.  These are jumpers I'll need if I recreate the same mounting pattern as the original.  It remains to be seen if I will - have to try a "dry fit" first.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

Just for kicks I checked the resistance of a few of the old resistors.  A 1 ohm measured 1.2 ohms, a 6.8 measured 6.8, an 8.2 measured 8.2, and 150 ohm measured 147.9.  In the spirit of "Pictures Or It Didn't Happen," see below.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Getting interesting, steely eyed approach and technique, cant wait to "hear"

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

One crossover done.  New Solen polypropylene capacitors, new wire.  Reused inductors (as always) and resistors.  I had purchased new Lynx resistors but they didn't work on the existing board.  Since the resistors all tested well within spec, no reason not to reuse them.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

The P45, like the M70, has a removable back.  The back (and baffle) is a thermoset plastic.  It connects to the rest of the cabinet with 8 screws.  I'll need to replace the gasket that sits on the back of the cabinet.

Here's a shot with the crossover reinstalled into an otherwise empty cabinet.  Note the phase link's subchamber in the middle of the box.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

I hooked up one set of drivers and gave them a listen without reinstalling the damping material and the back, just to make sure the woofers work.

I'm more than a little pleased to report that both formerly stuck woofers are now working!

Time for a break for some dinner out with the family.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 6:26 PM

Glue kit from Simply Speakers update:  left Miami on Friday, but still no delivery. 

USPS Priority Mail, 100 miles, 1 week for delivery and counting.

Meanwhile, I don't need any of the glue any more.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:

Glue kit from Simply Speakers update:  left Miami on Friday, but still no delivery. 

USPS Priority Mail, 100 miles, 1 week for delivery and counting.

Meanwhile, I don't need any of the glue any more.

USPS may have employed some Mexican workersBig Smile, I shipped from McAllen to DK with USPS arrived day 3, If you let ship to my son over there, and he ship it back to you, I think it will go faster

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 7:09 AM

Rich:

I hooked up one set of drivers and gave them a listen without reinstalling the damping material and the back, just to make sure the woofers work.

I'm more than a little pleased to report that both formerly stuck woofers are now working!

Time for a break for some dinner out with the family.

Great! Congrtulations! Lets have a Party !!! I glad if my project has inspired someone.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 1:17 PM

Orava:

I glad if my project has inspired someone.

You were correct in your thread that the work is not difficult.  You just need plenty of patience.

Brief update:  the two woofers I used to demo need their leads repaired, but the other two are ready to go.  One crossover is complete, and both cabinets have been gone over with paint thinner to remove the splashes of paint on them.  I intend to fully reassemble one speaker this evening and see how it sounds.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 7:55 PM

Rich:

You were correct in your thread that the work is not difficult.  You just need plenty of patience.

Oh yes, not rocket science Smile

blah-blah and photographs as needed

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 8:44 PM

Awesome. If you got the drivers working correctly, these speakers should be well worth the effort.

--mika

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 8:53 PM

They all work fine.  Quite keen to have a listen but there's still more "grunt work" to do.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

A bit of catch up.  This is an example of the lousy condition of the rosewood cabinet.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

After applying lots of a "green" paint thinner substitute with a rag and lots of rubbing.  The cabinet finish should restore fairly well, but there are some gouges that have taken bits of the veneer completely off.  I'll have to fill those gouges with some filler that has some stain in it.  But that's down the road.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

The first speaker has been completely reassembled except for the fret.  All new wiring, new capacitors, new gasket for the back, and new terminal cup.  Original damping material was reused.  All drivers confirmed working after playing test tones (in mono) from the Stereophile Test CD 3.  Played some Beach Boys after that (to the delight of my youngest daughter), then some Stones.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Very Good Job Rich, congrats. And the frets, which fabric ? Smile

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 12:43 PM

Well done sir! Impressive.

//Bo.
A long list...

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 1:17 PM

Søren Mexico:

And the frets, which fabric ? 

Something special is planned.  Stay tuned.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

And the second speaker is repaired and reassembled.  I am extremely pleased to report all drivers are working.  I can confirm what Lassi earlier reported:  P45 woofers can be repaired!

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:57 AM

I also wanted to give an update on the glue kit I ordered from Simply Speakers.

On Monday I emailed Simply Speakers and told them the package was in MIami after a week.  A nice person named Sean replied that was strange, but it isn't unknown that tracking info from the USPS can be wrong.  The package would likely show up in a day or two.

On Wednesday there were no further tracking updates from USPS, and I emailed Sean with that info.  Sean promptly sent me another kit via first class mail (instead of priority mail as the original).

I'm sure most of you already know the outcome to this story.  BOTH packages arrived today.  Priority mail takes 9 or 10 days to travel less than 100 miles, whereas first class mail is next day.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 12:04 AM
These things sound fantastic, and I haven't even tried them any where near the back wall.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 11:11 PM

Rich:

Søren Mexico:

And the frets, which fabric ? 

Something special is planned.  Stay tuned.

The "something special" will have to wait until the next speaker project.  Or maybe I'll redo the P30s with the "something special."  They still have their original fabric.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

And so comes to close another successful and fun project.  In the last week I gave the stripped cabinets two coats of teak oil and I put new fabric on the frets.  Here's the result.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

The P45s have replaced my P30s in the garage Beosystem 2400.  Subjectively they play about twice as loud as the P30s.  Which is a good thing.

They still sound fantastic.  Definitely worth the rebuild effort.  Another highly recommended loudspeaker from Bang & Olufsen.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 11:27 PM
Great job, they look good even though they have a very conservative fabric style!

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 1:48 AM

After about 2 months, these P45s still sound great, and the woofers still rock!  Earlier today I was playing "Big Bottom" from Spinal Tap and admiring the "big bottom" of these speakers which once had stuck woofers.

A toast:  to saving loudspeakers from the skip!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:

After about 2 months, these P45s still sound great, and the woofers still rock!  Earlier today I was playing "Big Bottom" from Spinal Tap and admiring the "big bottom" of these speakers which once had stuck woofers.

A toast:  to saving loudspeakers from the skip!

A toast to you and your excellent job, I have mine playing with my BM 4400 and love them, and yes direct on the wall, big bottom.

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member

cool, for sure deserves a toast. Beer

did not see this tread until today, and must say it is inspiring!

cheers

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk replied on Thu, Nov 7 2013 6:10 PM

How did I miss this? Brilliant thread.

I've butchered a fair few stuck Beolit speakers in the past with dire results. If there's ever a next time.....

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Fri, Nov 8 2013 7:12 AM

Great story Rich.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 2:47 AM

Thanks, guys.  The Beosystem 2400 with P45s in the garage still gets a few hours of play each week.  There's always something to do in the garage, right?

I think the P30s are probably better suited to the space, though, but I can't be bothered with swapping them back in right now.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, May 25 2015 6:37 PM

I can't believe it's been over a year and a half since I messed with a pair of speakers.  I have really gott to get out of this cassette rabbit hole I've fallen into.

remdk
Not Ranked
Fredensborg Denmark
Posts 22
Silver Member
remdk replied on Mon, May 25 2015 7:39 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing project with us.

I do hope You will enjoy these speakers for years of good music.

Best regards

René

pssturges
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Hi, 

What a great project! Fascinating to read. 

I've recently purchased some P45's and they need a bit of love to get them back to their full glory. I would love it if some of you could provide some advice. I've posted the details here:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/34546.aspx

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS