Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New ML Power Box

rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 4 Followers

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 Posted: Fri, Aug 7 2015 3:53 PM
B&O have now launched the new ML power box which connects to the NL/ML converter. This eliminates the need for a legacy ML master to drive BeoLab2000, BeoLab 3500 etc.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

w5bno123:
B&O have now launched the new ML power box which connects to the NL/ML converter. This eliminates the need for a legacy ML master to drive BeoLab2000, BeoLab 3500 etc.

Link please...

...or more information here ;-)

i can only say - thank you B&O. I know no other company, that is this much concerned about their 'old' costumers :-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Fri, Aug 7 2015 10:09 PM
What more can I say than contact your local B&O dealer for more infoWink problem is, they probably don't know ConfusedConfusedConfused
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

w5bno123:
...problem is, they probably don't know ConfusedConfusedConfused 

Exactly - and that is why I/we need you to tell more.

Telling my dealer something, he does not know, is soooo much fun 😺

MM

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Fri, Aug 7 2015 11:10 PM
It's apparently just a simple black box that sends a

Current across the ML network so that the BLC can act as a 'true' audio or video master.

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Sat, Aug 8 2015 12:21 AM

Can you elaborate what is blc, I have a few older products overture and twp passive kits, are you saying that i could do away with my old overture! and control everything with the blc/ If so do we have any idea of costs?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
kai:

Can you elaborate what is blc, I have a few older products overture and twp passive kits, are you saying that i could do away with my old overture! and control everything with the blc/ If so do we have any idea of costs?

If it's the BeoLink Converter NL/MLbthen it's this thing which in Australia is almost the same $s as the new remoteless Essence mk 2

BeoNut since '75

Gregg
Top 500 Contributor
Colorado USA
Posts 143
Gold Member
Gregg replied on Sat, Aug 8 2015 3:41 AM

Great to see this progress coming. I can name two companies that are far superior to B&O in supporting their vintage products: Mercedes-Benz and Weber Grill (a US company that makes BBQ grills). Mercedes made the realization that keeping vintage Benz's on the road is great for the brand, and I can get nearly any part I need for my 1960 190SL. And if they don't have it, chances are the MB Classic Center will find a way to make one for you (at a price of course). Mercedes also benefits from maintaining its ecosystem of suppliers in Germany going back many, many decades so that they all stay in business.  I have a 25 year old barbecue grill, which was top end at the time, and I can get all parts for it from Weber. Now that is support for vintage products. 

I have recently been trying to get parts for fairly recent products (such as grills for the Beolab 4000 and 6000), and B&O is discontinuing colors and spare parts at a truly frightening pace. It is clear B&O has made a decision to slash their old parts inventory. If supporting the vintage products does not fit into the current business model, then perhaps they can sell tooling, parts, and old designs to a new firm that would be dedicated to keeping the vintage products working. I do agree that the backward compatibility of NL to ML to MCL is impressive.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Sat, Aug 8 2015 6:57 AM

Great! Now I cannot fully understand what status the BL3500 e.g. would have. Is this scenario feasible?

Setup: Essence + BLC + ML Powerbox + BL3500.

Use scenario: Select some music from the Essence through the BeoMusic app, listening in from the BL3500, but keeping the speakers connected to the Essence silent. (So having two "rooms" in the App, one NL-equipped and one legacy product...)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mjmedlo:
It's apparently just a simple black box that sends a

Current across the ML network so that the BLC can act as a 'true' audio or video master.

I know what the box is - it was already 'talked about' some months ago.

i just wanted to know, if it is a plug'n'play box, which connections (some times there are ports 'for future use' on these boxex ;-)) it has, how much they charge for it, when it is available....

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

BeoNut since '75

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sat, Aug 8 2015 4:15 PM
It will connect to the Usb and NL only.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

So it seems, that the converter does the job - the 'little black box' is just for power.

Thanks for the info/the scan.

MM

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 5:42 AM

Does anybody has a link to the installation guide? I ordered this little box, but still havent found time to collect it from my dealer.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 5:59 AM

It's really GREAT that B&O allows to use the older ML devices and -speakers in the modern NL infrastructure, too!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 10:50 AM
Chris:

Does anybody has a link to the installation guide? I ordered this little box, but still havent found time to collect it from my dealer.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

From the document I posted I think it will be simple ...

Plug the ML via a new RJ connection to the black box.

Plug the USB cable into the BLC.

And bingo, your BL 2000s and BL 3500s come to life and play the music on the NL coming via the BLC.

This is my imagination Smile

BeoNut since '75

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 12:16 PM

What is the blc? Is that the nl/ml convertor

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 12:17 PM
kai:

What is the blc? Is that the nl/ml convertor

Yes

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 12:20 PM
One thing I miss, when I have removed my Masterlink master is that My BL3500 do not show the time anymore.

Maybe some tech savvy member of the forum have a workaround for that? Stick out tongue

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 1:55 PM

Hiort:
One thing I miss, when I have removed my Masterlink master is that My BL3500 do not show the time anymore.
Maybe some tech savvy member of the forum have a workaround for that? Stick out tongue

Most likely they have forgotten to implement the ML time feature in NL/ML converter SW.
I don't think that there is any workaround at the moment if no "real" ML device is connected...

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 2:42 PM

elephant:
From the document I posted I think it will be simple ...

Dear elephant, I know it will be simple to connect the 'power box' in my system, but its nice to have the installation guide as a pdf document on my server (I'm a collector of manuals also Smile )

Hiort:

Dear Hiort, in my BLC setup page I found a tab 'System - Date&Time' and this shows me 'Push Time to masterlink products'. Could that be of any help for time settings in the BL3500 or not.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 4:42 PM
Chris:

Dear Hiort, in my BLC setup page I found a tab 'System - Date&Time' and this shows me 'Push Time to masterlink products' . Could that be of any help for time settings in the BL3500 or not.

I have not noticed that!

ThanksSmile

Will try tonight.

Fingers crossed Stick out tongue

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 5:23 PM
Chris:

in my BLC setup page

Dear Chris Big Smile

Where can I get the BLC PDF please ?

BeoNut since '75

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 6:51 PM

I give you a Dropbox link for the BLC guide, hopefully it works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gle62x40f71oz7s/BLC_NL-ML%20Installation%20Guide%20Ver.%201.2.pdf?dl=0

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 7:24 PM
Chris:

Dear Hiort, in my BLC setup page I found a tab 'System - Date&Time' and this shows me 'Push Time to masterlink products' . Could that be of any help for time settings in the BL3500

Boom!

It works!

My BL3500 now show the time Big Smile

Could that setting be new after the Multiroom sw update?

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 9:16 PM

Hiort:
My BL3500 now show the time

Please keep us updated on whether the time is still exact in maybe two or three or even more months. 
Older B&O ML devices don't have very exact built-in clocks and tend to be slower or faster without a regular sync from e.g. a TV trough the ML bus.
If there is a button marked with "Push time to ML products" I doubt that this will be done automatically every day...

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 9:58 PM
BeoMotion:

Please keep us updated on whether the time is still exact in maybe two or three or even more months. Older B&O ML devices don't have very exact built-in clocks and tend to be slower or faster without a regular sync from e.g. a TV trough the ML bus. If there is a button marked with "Push time to ML products" I doubt that this will be done automatically every day...

I will.

Will also ask BO how often BLC push time.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 11:32 PM
Chris:

I give you a Dropbox link for the BLC guide, hopefully it works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gle62x40f71oz7s/BLC_NL-ML%20Installation%20Guide%20Ver.%201.2.pdf?dl=0

Brilliant

Thank you very much

I had to copy the link to Safari (from the Beoworld app) as WebKit did not handle it 100%

From Safari I have saved it to the iPhones PDF library ... so some happy reading on the train today !

BeoNut since '75

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Tue, Aug 11 2015 5:21 PM
I've ordered one today.

Will advise upon receipt.
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Aug 11 2015 7:26 PM
mjmedlo:

I've ordered one today.

Will advise upon receipt.

Same here.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Aug 12 2015 3:18 PM

elephant:

Plug the ML via a new RJ connection to the black box.

Any idea on how to go from Masterlink male to a RJ connection? Are there adapters for that?

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Wed, Aug 12 2015 4:00 PM

Hiort:
Any idea on how to go from Masterlink male to a RJ connection? Are there adapters for that?

This?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

When you use the 'new box', where do you connect your existing ML-infrastructure (with the remaining link-product?

The box has a RJ45-ML and a USB, which are connected to the converter.

Do you need a ML-splitter/junction-box or is the existing ML-infrastructure connected to the converter?

Anyone has the Setup Guide?

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Aug 14 2015 12:35 PM

Millemissen:

When you use the 'new box', where do you connect your existing ML-infrastructure (with the remaining link-product?

The box has a RJ45-ML and a USB, which are connected to the converter.

Do you need a ML-splitter/junction-box or is the existing ML-infrastructure connected to the converter?

Anyone has the Setup Guide?

MM

In my case I will plug the Masterlink that used to be connected into my Beocenter 2, into the Powerbox.

Will replace the Masterlink cable from a junction box, to one terminated with a RJ45.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Ok - thanks!

You will have to use a junction box then.

As far as I know the two ML's (one ML and one RJ45-ML) on the converter are identical and you can only use one of these.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Aug 14 2015 3:01 PM
Millemissen:

Ok - thanks!

You will have to use a junction box then.

As far as I know the two ML's (one ML and one RJ45-ML) on the converter are identical and you can only use one of these.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

You mention the converter?

The BLC are not involved.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

My misunderstanding then (perhaps)!

Means - all, that this little thing does is to feed the ML with power via USB.

It can be placed anywhere in the ML chain, then?

That is pretty simple.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Aug 14 2015 3:58 PM
Millemissen:

My misunderstanding then (perhaps)!

Means - all, that this little thing does is to feed the ML with power via USB.

It can be placed anywhere in the ML chain, then?

That is pretty simple.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Exactly.

Anywhere in the ml chain.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 4:29 AM

MM

what happens if you plug both in ?

is there a signal detection that favours one over the other ?

or are both active at all times ?

eg the BLC out puts simultaneously to both ML paths ?

BeoNut since '75

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 7:26 AM

Both ML sockets are absolute identical.
There is neither a signal detection nor can the BLC send anything special to only on of the two.
They are internally hardwired together. 

Page 1 of 3 (96 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS