Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New ML Power Box

rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 4 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 9:05 AM
BeoMotion:

Both ML sockets are absolute identical. There is neither a signal detection nor can the BLC send anything special to only on of the two. They are internally hardwired together.

So if both types of connections were used it might operate as a junction box as well ?

Or would something somewhere start to be overload and a smell of burnt rubber would be floating around ?

BeoNut since '75

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 9:23 AM

elephant:
So if both types of connections were used it might operate as a junction box as well ?

Yes, this is the reason why there are two ML sockets. 
I have done this multiple times without any problems but please refer to the installation guide to be sure. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

My original thought was to use the ML-port (the one that is not used) for the 'Black-box'.

Seems that this should be possible, then (?).

Doesn't the setup guide say anything about it?

Isn't the setup guide included in the package, when you buy the box?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 10:33 AM

The setup guide of the little box says that you can daisy-chain the ML cable trough the box itself since there are two ML sockets, too.
Since the only purpose of this little thing is to pull the both data signals to high state and supply the power rails it really shouldn't matter where to place it or connect it to. 

B&O and its black boxes...
The delay box and now this master/slave problem shows that they didn't thought enough about the BLC and its purpose when designing it. Both should have been implemented right from the beginning directly into the BLC. Would have been much cheaper rather than building the black boxes.  

Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 781
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 10:39 AM
More money for B&O but also more cost to them also on making something extra and not built in!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Bv7Mk3:
More money for B&O but also more cost to them also on making something extra and not built in!

Given that it could (and should) have been implemented in the converter!!!

Not everyone needs a ML-box and/or a Delay-box.

MM

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 2:31 PM

Millemissen:

Given that it could (and should) have been implemented in the converter!!!
Not everyone needs a ML-box and/or a Delay-box.

MM and his unbreakable faith in B&O... :-)

We are talking about not more than 3 $ for the additional parts that would have been needed for the ML master feature.
It would have been much cheaper for B&O to implement this directly into the BLC. They simply forgot that...
This additional box now needs a new PCB, a new case, a separate USB cable and not to forget the expensive tests for declaration of conformity.

The integrated delay feature would have been slightly more expensive but I'm sure it wouldn't break the 25$ mark.
I don't know how much headroom they have into that piece of outdated hardware (BLC) but if squeezing it to its boundaries it maybe would have been possible to bring it down to less than the half.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 4:18 PM

The Powerbox will provide timer function for Beolab 3500 as I understand it from this:

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks!

This scan is exactly what I have been looking for.

MM

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 5:33 PM

Hiort:
The Powerbox will provide timer function for Beolab 3500 as I understand it from this:

"The BeoLink Converter NL/ML will handle the Audio- Video master function on the MasterLink including timer for BeoLab 3500"

What in this sentence makes you think that the Powerbox will provide the timer function?
The powerbox only is a power supply... 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 11:27 PM
BeoMotion:

"The BeoLink Converter NL/ML will handle the Audio- Video master function on the MasterLink including timer for BeoLab 3500"

What in this sentence makes you think that the Powerbox will provide the timer function? The powerbox only is a power supply...

Maybe it also provides the tick/tock signal if that's what the BL3500 is looking for ?

I presume one adjusts the time on the BL3500 ?

BeoNut since '75

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member
BeoMegaMan replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 11:53 PM
BeoMotion:

MM and his unbreakable faith in B&O... :-)

We are talking about not more than 3 $ for the additional parts that would have been needed for the ML master feature. It would have been much cheaper for B&O to implement this directly into the BLC. They simply forgot that... This additional box now needs a new PCB, a new case, a separate USB cable and not to forget the expensive tests for declaration of conformity.

The integrated delay feature would have been slightly more expensive but I'm sure it wouldn't break the 25$ mark. I don't know how much headroom they have into that piece of outdated hardware (BLC) but if squeezing it to its boundaries it maybe would have been possible to bring it down to less than the half.

Let us not forget that the converter originally was only intended to bring ML to NL not the other way around. The fact that they listened to everyone and made it go both ways should be commended. Maybe a MKII later on will be all inclusive. Until then enjoy the function with a small product that gives it to you.

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 12:42 AM

If this acts as a audio or video master do I need an overture or 3200 to make this work with my ml system?? I only ask as thread suggests that this acts as video or audio master?

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 3:19 AM
kai:

If this acts as a audio or video master do I need an overture or 3200 to make this work with my ml system?? I only ask as thread suggests that this acts as video or audio master?

It's not a 'master' just sends the voltage across the ML system to turn on ML products for joining without an ML master.

Only really works when you carry NL products over to ML.

In other words it replaces the master when you have NL and ML but can't just be an ML master.

Make sense?
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 6:34 AM
BeoMotion:

What in this sentence makes you think that the Powerbox will provide the timer function? The powerbox only is a power supply...

Bad phrasing of me.

Its of course the BLC that enable the timer.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 6:43 AM

Hiort:

Thanks Hiort for your scan of the installation guide.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 7:58 AM

elephant:
BeoMotion:

Maybe it also provides the tick/tock signal if that's what the BL3500 is looking for ?

I presume one adjusts the time on the BL3500 ?

Time is transmitted as a normal message on the ML data bus.
Even without the master functionality the BLC could have done this right from the beginning. But it didn't. 
So just a question of SW not whether there is a powerbox or not. 

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 8:05 AM

BeoMegaMan:
Let us not forget that the converter originally was only intended to bring ML to NL not the other way around. The fact that they listened to everyone and made it go both ways should be commended. Maybe a MKII later on will be all inclusive. Until then enjoy the function with a small product that gives it to you.

If it really only had to be a ML to NL converter why they built in a DAC and not only an ADC on the ML audio side?
It was capable going both ways right from the beginning. So this is not an excuse... 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 12:56 PM

Just picked up the Power Box at my dealer.

No cables are in the package. I bought a USB -> Micro-usb at the local electronics shop. 

The box is really, really small. Marginally bigger than a RJ45 socket if you look at it from the side Smile

Will post pictures tonight.

Question:

I bought a standard Cat 5 (shielded) cable to connect from Power Box RJ45 Masterlink socket to BLC RJ45 Masterlink socket.

I assume that should work, right?

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

BeoMotion:

BeoMegaMan:

If it really only had to be a ML to NL converter why they built in a DAC and not only an ADC on the ML audio side?
It was capable going both ways right from the beginning. So this is not an excuse... 

The DAC is there because of the ability to connect speakers to the BLC to use as a modern day active kit. The ADC is there for ML and the analog RCA line input. No excuse just facts. 

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Hiort:

Just picked up the Power Box at my dealer.

No cables are in the package. I bought a USB -> Micro-usb at the local electronics shop. 

The box is really, really small. Marginally bigger than a RJ45 socket if you look at it from the side Smile

Will post pictures tonight.

Question:

I bought a standard Cat 5 (shielded) cable to connect from Power Box RJ45 Masterlink socket to BLC RJ45 Masterlink socket.

I assume that should work, right?

Since the power box is only providing the 5v needed to power the bus and not providing any other signal one would assume using a Cat5 would work. Let us know if it works. 

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

kai:

No you don't need a true audio master any longer. You can configure the BLC to be a source from the line input to the ML network and in essence work as an audio master. Or you can just convert most of the home to NL product and use the BLC with power box to keep your 3500 + BL2000 still functional somewhat. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 5:31 PM
Installation completed Smile

This shows how tiny the box is:

Simply connected one socket to BLC RJ45 Masterlink socket using the shielded CAT5 cable I purchased.

When USB cable is connected there is a red light glowing on the Power Box.

That's all. Checked the BL3500 and it was possible to activate timer.

Nice to get rid of the clunky Beolink converter type 1611 I used as workaround.

Bet I save some electricity costs Big Smile

Well done B&O! Smile

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 5:40 PM
Been thinking around the timer.

In my system I have nowhere to set a Timer.

Have Moment, BLC and Beovision 11.

Anyone have a clue ?

I think the installation instruction suggest BLC can do the timing setup.

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Hiort:
Been thinking around the timer.

In my system I have nowhere to set a Timer.

Have Moment, BLC and Beovision 11.

Anyone have a clue ?

I think the installation instruction suggest BLC can do the timing setup.

The timer and the power box is only for ML equipment only. Your setup doesn't qualify. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 7:30 PM
BeoMegaMan:

The timer and the power box is only for ML equipment only. Your setup doesn't qualify.

Well, I have BL2000 and BL3500.

Still not qualify?

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

When you mention that it now does qualify. The timer function is held in the BLC. 

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 7:41 PM
There is no timer function yet in the BLC only a clock to ML function. Hopefully the will also soon be a timer function.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

It is a fine thing, that including the ML-link products in the NL-setup is now officially supported - and also the clock on the BL3500.

But - for those used to having a ML-master in their setup - it would be of interest, which sources you can activate from the ML-linkrooms and how to do it.

Can you e.g. activate the TuneIN/netradio from a Beo4/BL3500 (or an Active Kit), can the buttons on the BL2000 be used....etc?

Is 'Join' supported....?

MM

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 8:28 PM
Assigned sources Tuneln, Music, pattern play and Line in can be activated on ML products by BO4 but I am missing Deezer. Now I start up Music that I have assign to CD in BLC and then I change to Deezer in Beomusic app. But the best would be that Deezer also could be assigned in the BLC I dont understand why it is missing. Also play list could be wonderful if they could be assigned in the BLC than one press on for examplel AMEM could start the favorite playlist.

Also the play button on Beolink active/passive IR and the mute button on BL3500 start up the last played source in the Moment so that is good.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Great!

I hope that the dealers are able to explain this to their 'old' costumers.

MM

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 10:45 PM

Thankyou for answering the question do you we  have any prices for blc and ml box in UK currency I'm tempted to update my old system with this box :)

tradingman
Not Ranked
Posts 41
Bronze Member

Does this work, especially that the the speakers connected to the Essence are silent if I want.

For example:

Essence with Speakers in the living room

BLC with Speakers in the kitchen

BL3500 (in the ML Network) in the bathroom (with ML Powerbox in the kitchen)

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Fri, Aug 21 2015 9:40 AM

BeoMegaMan:
The DAC is there because of the ability to connect speakers to the BLC to use as a modern day active kit. The ADC is there for ML and the analog RCA line input. No excuse just facts. 

Both, the DAC and the ADC are routed to the ML interface. If there were no plans to also stream from NL to ML they would have left out the connection from DAC to ML...

BeoMegaMan:
Since the power box is only providing the 5v needed to power the bus and not providing any other signal one would assume using a Cat5 would work. Let us know if it works. 

The power box neither does provide 5V to the ML bus nor is there any problem using shielded CAT5 for your entire ML network including audio, power and data. The box features a series of boost + buck + inverting converters for supplying +-12V to the both power rails and +-250mV for terminating the data lines.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Aug 21 2015 9:44 AM
BeoMegaMan:

It worked. Smile

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 277
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Mon, Aug 31 2015 2:26 PM

Can i connect this power box on my ML setup thru BLC so i can get my BL3500 to be a "room" in the new multiroom on the Moment and Beomusic app?

I do have a BV10, so this is my ML master today. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 31 2015 2:53 PM

Normann:

Can i connect this power box on my ML setup thru BLC so i can get my BL3500 to be a "room" in the new multiroom on the Moment and Beomusic app?

No. You will not see the BL3500 as a "room". You will see the BLC as a "room". Since you have a BV10 you do not need a power box. BL10 provides the power needed.

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 277
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Mon, Aug 31 2015 3:35 PM

Hiort:

Normann:

No. You will not see the BL3500 as a "room". You will see the BLC as a "room". Since you have a BV10 you do not need a power box. BL10 provides the power needed.

I do see the "BLC room", but i can not get the sound to the 3500. When i push the BLC button, nothing happens.. Is it because of the speakers is not connected directly in the BLC.. I now have to push the join on the beo4 remote to get it to work.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 31 2015 4:07 PM
You cannot use the app to get sound on the bl3500. You need the remote to select source.

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Sep 21 2015 11:42 AM

I told in another thread about my problems to keep the Masterlink working with the Moment when there was no other NL-link product involved. The Moment placed the Masterlink product(s) in standby after playing a couple of tracks coming from Radio, Deezer or a DLNA server playlist. This behaviour was totally unpredictable, sometimes it took hours or it was also just suddenly stopping the music, a fresh start from the Moment solved the problem again for a while.

Fairly hard to say, was the cause coming from the Moment or from the Beolink NL/ML converter (BLC), even BeoCare had no answer, and replied me that they are working on it in a future update…

I bought a while ago the ML Power Box because the BV3, who is delivering the necessary power to the Masterlink, is placed in the bedroom and I don’t feel very comfortable to left it on the power/standby 24/7. That was the reason I bought the Power box, to keep the BV3 off power and to activate it only when needed. 

Last Saturday I connected this small box to the BLC, and by Saturday evening the Moment was still playing of the Masterlink products without any interruption. Yesterday, the next day, it played again from the morning until the evening without any interruption.

I have to say that in the placement of BLC and BV3 around 50m (160ft) masterlink cable is involved, is this now the case why music stops after a while? Do we have a voltage drop on this distance, and could this be the case why the system goes to standby? Question to be answered from the B&O development team.

I could only give advise to people who are in a similar setup with Multiroom use from the new NL-products in combination with the older Masterlink. To save you many headaches, calculate the purchase of a ML Power Box when buying a BLC also in the total price to prevent the kind of problems I had.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Page 2 of 3 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS