Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New ML Power Box

rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 4 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks for that advice, Chris 👍

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 21 2015 2:37 PM

That's interesting Chris and thanks for sharing that information.  I suppose it is possible that a voltage change/variation could cause some issues i.e. to trigger something or not.  Worth bearing in mind.

Dave.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Sep 21 2015 10:41 PM

[edit] post removed as I missed a whole page of posts in this thread, so my response had already been discussed...please ignore.

sia
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Bronze Member
sia replied on Tue, Oct 20 2015 11:27 PM

Could I connect a non b&o sound source via aux connection on beolink converter (type 1611) and then use this ML power box and connect the 1611 using ml cable to a beolab 2000, without any other sound sources?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 6:59 AM
Sus it may work

On the surface the only connect with the BLC (for which it was designed to support) is the USB power cable

BeoNut since '75

sia
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Bronze Member
sia replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 2:19 PM

Elephant, that was my tought too as I can only see an extra USB-power connection. If this works, it would mean that on can use BL2000 or BL3500 with any analog audio source without presence of an audio or videomaster.

Another question would then be how the sound source would be perceived by the ML. One ccould connect a beolink active to the scheme I mentioned (audio source to converter 1611 + ML powerbox + Beolab) and see what the display on the link-eye would show. Unfortunately I don't have the 1611 or beolink active but if someone out there have them, as well as time, it wouldbe an interestign excersize and I would love to hear about the result.

Sia 

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 7:35 PM

sia:
Another question would then be how the sound source would be perceived by the ML. One ccould connect a beolink active to the scheme I mentioned (audio source to converter 1611 + ML powerbox + Beolab) and see what the display on the link-eye would show. Unfortunately I don't have the 1611 or beolink active but if someone out there have them, as well as time, it wouldbe an interestign excersize and I would love to hear about the result.

Can I mix me a moment in the debate.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But normally you don't have to use the ML powerbox in this configuration. The 1611 can normally deliver the necessary power to the ML link to work. So: Any audio source > converter 1611 > Beolab (would be sufficient to make it play). In case you use the BL3500, I don't now if time will show up on the display.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

sia
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Bronze Member
sia replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 7:43 PM

I'm not sure if that would work. I am refering to the whole discussion on audio and video master. From what I understand, the ML need an original B&O audio or video master that can controll the ML signal. 

i'm sure however there are several meme er that could correct me if I'm mistaken.

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 11:42 PM

Correct me if Im wrong but could you not use a 1611 convertor as a masterlink audio source ie with  sonos connect then press cd, and it will come through the ml system, tis would be a cheaper solution than the nl/ml convertor?

Kai 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 11:58 PM

There's more at the masterlink data protocol level to acting as an audio or video master than simply supplying power to the ML bus. The software within the ML/NL converter obviously has the facility to act as an audio master but the hardware lacks the circuitry to supply the power to the bus, hence the power box.

Unfortunately, simply adding a power box to a ML network without an audio / video master present is unlikely to have much effect on the functionality of the connected devices.

Martin.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Thu, Oct 22 2015 12:07 AM

The 1611 converter does supply power to the ML bus itself (unlike the 1614 which doesn't and requires a master to be present). Whether or not they can be used without a connection to datalink / AAL though, and whether adding a power box to the 1614 would turn it into a 1611, I don't know.

Martin.

sia
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Bronze Member
sia replied on Thu, Oct 22 2015 11:15 AM

Devon, your of course right and there is more information that is handled by the NL/MLconverter.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but from what  Iunderstand, the converter can handle RCA-in. It also seems like that it can handle whatever you have on a network as it has a network connection. It also has the powerlink connection and once enhanced with ML-powerbox, it can handle the ML-network as well

Does this mean that the converter, on it's own can be used as an audio source (without possibility ot control the volume)?

and if you connect a BL2000 or 3500 then you could actually control the source and volume as well?

sia
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Bronze Member
sia replied on Thu, Oct 22 2015 11:15 AM

Devon, your of course right and there is more information that is handled by the NL/MLconverter.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but from what  Iunderstand, the converter can handle RCA-in. It also seems like that it can handle whatever you have on a network as it has a network connection. It also has the powerlink connection and once enhanced with ML-powerbox, it can handle the ML-network as well

Does this mean that the converter, on it's own can be used as an audio source (without possibility ot control the volume)?

and if you connect a BL2000 or 3500 then you could actually control the source and volume as well?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Oct 25 2015 12:56 AM
sia:

It also has the powerlink connection and once enhanced with ML-powerbox, it can handle the ML-network as well

Just to clarify, the BLC has its own ML connection - either via the old ML plug or the new RJ plug.

What power box does, is allow the segment of the ML attached not the BLC to have no masters.

In my case I am not using the power box as I have an Audio Master and a Video Master on my ML segment.

BeoNut since '75

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Oct 25 2015 1:29 AM

elephant:
sia:

It also has the powerlink connection and once enhanced with ML-powerbox, it can handle the ML-network as well

Just to clarify, the BLC has its own ML connection - either via the old ML plug or the new RJ plug.

What power box does, is allow the segment of the ML attached not the BLC to have no masters.

In my case I am not using the power box as I have an Audio Master and a Video Master on my ML segment.

Elephant is entirely correct. The intended use of the power box, with the NL/ML converter, is to connect, for example, a BL3500 link room speaker to a Netlink network, without also needing an Audio or Video master to be present on the same Masterlink segment for it to work.

To further clarify - my comments about the power box not being some magic solution were in relation to the suggestion of using it with older beolink converters as those converters are unlikely to have the necessary software to support operating as an audio or video master unless they were originally designed with that in mind (in which case they would already have the capability to supply power to the ML bus).

Martin.

Gilbert
Not Ranked
Poland
Posts 17
Bronze Member

Hello,

please help me to understand if I need this power box.

I have replaced my BS5 with the Moment and NL/ML converter .

I have several beovisions 7-55, 10-32, 4-42 ,6-26 connected to the ML, and on those i receive sound from the Moment  when pressing CD.

But nothing on the Beolab  3500 and on the second beovision 4-50.

will this box solve the problem?

regards

gilbert

Page 3 of 3 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS