Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Control of Beovision 7-40 floor stand

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 13 Followers

achangtrakul
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
achangtrakul Posted: Wed, Sep 23 2015 9:31 AM

Time has come to retire my Beovision 7-40 (MK II). I am going for a none B&O flatscreen, that I was thinking of mounting on the B&O floor stand, keeping the Beolab 7-2 as a sound bar for the new TV. I would like to be able to continue to control the motor in the stand with the BEO4 remote. Anybody here with previous experience or suggestions with this proposed set-up?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 10:08 AM

The signals for the stand arrive via the BV7 - not direct to the stand so it won't work with a different TV on the stand.  Not sure how you'll mount a non-B&O TV onto the stand either as the fitting points will be different.

Dave.

achangtrakul
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. As I see it (not a technical person), the motor must reside in the base, and a signal must somehow be sent to that motor to tur left, right and stop. You connect the stand to the BV7 with their 8-pin powerlink, so I am guessing that the signal must run through here?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 10:14 AM

Correct.

Dave.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 10:27 AM

achangtrakul:

Time has come to retire my Beovision 7-40 (MK II). I am going for a none B&O flatscreen, that I was thinking of mounting on the B&O floor stand, keeping the Beolab 7-2 as a sound bar for the new TV. I would like to be able to continue to control the motor in the stand with the BEO4 remote. Anybody here with previous experience or suggestions with this proposed set-up?

Interesting idea. First of all non-B&O TV´s feature VESA mounts almost always. So you would first have to find a solution (that is both safe and stable) to mount your non-B&O TV to the non-standard B&O mounting bracket. 

I don't know exactly how the floor stand for BV7 works but for my Avant the stand recognizes where it is even if you move it by hand. Therefore I believe there is not only voltage for the engines to move but also some kind of data being sent to/from the stand of it´s current status.

I think there are four cables in the BV Avant 55" floor stand, I would believe two of these are for power and the other two are for data. There is also a ground cable. It would require both power, and something to control the engines with the right amount of power and possibly also a solution to interface with the sensors and possibly processors etc on boards in the stand. It might be a very tricky thing to do. And most probably it is. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

achangtrakul
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

As opposed to your Avant, the stand for BV7 only has one cable, the powerlink 8-pin (and a mains cable, off course). I don't need the stand to have the 'memory', just the ability to turn it left and right. I was thinking a programmable IR converter (maybe the one from Lintronic), could convert the signal from the BEO4 remote into right or left turns. Something like that. Anybody tried that out?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

It is amazing to see how people struggle to keep the functionality of a BV, when they decide not to buy a BV 🙀

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 6:18 PM

The old stands have a 5 pin connector.

• 14V 
  • GND
  • turn left
  • turn right
  • current position

As you see it should be quite simple to turn the stand to the left/right even without a B&O TV. 
There is also one signal that shows the current position. Currently I don't know whether this is analog or a PWM signal. 

So somebody just needs to hook up a scope and find out to which levels the turn signals gets pulled and how the current position is sent.
Could be a nice arduino project. Translating an IR command from your TV remote into a turn signal... 

Please don't connect a powersupply to your stand unless you know what you are doing.

The current stands of BV11, Avant, ... are totally different.

BR,
BeoMotion. 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 7:43 PM

I had a look at some of the service manuals a while ago to see if they might shed any light on this - I don't have any B&O motorised stands but I am part way through building a motorised wall bracket to lower my BV7 down over the mantle which it sits above, and I'd ideally like to control this with the stand output from the TV.

Unfortunately, as soon as I realised there is a stand with motorised turn and motorised tilt, but which still uses the same 5 connections, how it is controlled became even less clear!

Martin.

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 8:58 PM

Yes, the manuals are a bit strange and not very helpful regarding this topic.
Maybe the left/right signals are tristate and Hi-Z when no command is sent? Maybe they can be pulled low for turning and high for tilting?

I can hook up a scope tomorrow and check that. Shouldn't take too long to figure out how it works...

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 9:23 PM

Yes, I thought too about the possibility of pulling the lines either high or low for left/right or up/down. Unfortunately without a stand to try I'm not sure I'd see much on a scope as the TV does seem to detect when a stand is connected.

If you have a stand and are able to hook up a scope that would be great. I'll certainly be interested to hear what you might discover.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

achangtrakul
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Hi BeoMotion,

Were you successful in hooking up a scope?

bhca2
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
bhca2 replied on Mon, Oct 17 2016 3:22 PM

Hi

Have also been looking at using an Avant 32" CRT motorised stand and mounting a newer TV onto it - know it seems like mutton dressing up as lamb but makes for an interesting project. Did BeoMotion (or anyone else) ever have any success in testing the ports with a scope? Would be very helpful to know!

Thanks very much for your help,

Ben

KjellG
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
KjellG replied on Mon, Nov 28 2016 9:26 PM

Stand for MX7000 has a DIN plug 4-pin. 2 for DC power. 2 for data. Inside the stand is a DC motor, some gears that will turn the top. Two circuit cards and a pot-meter for position. Max travel +/-45 degrees. It should be strait forward to hack it to direct dc contol with or without pot voltage return.

Data protocol unknown. Would be nice to know!

Steeen
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Steeen replied on Wed, Nov 28 2018 6:58 AM

Hi, did you, or anyone else, find a solution? These floor stands are now easy to find at low cost and it would be cool to use them as intended, for any TV. I quite easily fitted a VESA bracket with the original bolts.

BeoVision 7-32" Mk 1 motorised TV stand with BeoLab 7-1

drmichi
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
drmichi replied on Tue, Aug 13 2019 8:51 PM

According to the service manual, there is the following pin assigment:

1. Pin1: GND
  2. Pin2: Turn left
  3. Pin3: Turn right
  4. Pin4: (?) current position?
  5. Pin5: +14V

Does anyone know which pin is which one on connector?

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Tue, Aug 13 2019 9:57 PM

The 7-40 has both pan and tilt in the same connector. The schematic above is properly from a BV7-32?

In order to properly answer the question, I need to know the following, would you consider choosing the TV based on the ability to operate the stand?

Would you accept the BEO4 as a SEPERATE remote for the stand. And are you in the US? if so you might have a better chance.

drmichi
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
drmichi replied on Wed, Aug 14 2019 7:54 PM

I have the motorised floor stand of the old BV7-40 MKII, and a 55" Samsung LCD TV.

• The Samsung TV will be attached through a self made adapter plate
  • The BeoLab 7-4 will be connected through the "TV Digital Optical Out -> Analog Stereo Converter -> PowerLink Adapter Cable"

I would like to control the floor stand from a NodeMCU V3 micro-controller, which is attached to the USB port of the TV and a separate power supply.

• When TV is starting up, the NodeMCU detects USB power and moves the floor stand in the defined position
  • When TV is turned off, the NodeMCU detects that USB power is lost and moves to the zero position
  • Optionally, through an IR receiver I could also be possible to manually control the floor stand through a remote (e.g. Beo4)

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Wed, Aug 14 2019 9:16 PM

drmichi:

I would like to control the floor stand from a NodeMCU V3 micro-controller, which is attached to the USB port of the TV and a separate power supply.

• When TV is starting up, the NodeMCU detects USB power and moves the floor stand in the defined position
  • When TV is turned off, the NodeMCU detects that USB power is lost and moves to the zero position
  • Optionally, through an IR receiver I could also be possible to manually control the floor stand through a remote (e.g. Beo4)

Great simplistic approach! Perhaps this can a bit of help. I believe the control signals are 5V, but they might work with the 3V3 Node I/O. Note they are active low. The feedback can be read by the ADC. I would guess it's centered around 5V but i really don't know! Check the signal before attaching it to the node, you might need to scale and perhaps offset it! This schematic is not that clear but W50 is the cable hanging loose in your picture. I have always wondered exactly how the two active low signals can do FOUR different thing, left, right, up, down. Perhaps you will find out?

Bottom line the BV7-40/55 stand is significantly more complicated than the BV7-32.

EDIT: If you scrap the TV anyway make sure to scavenge the IR receiver board it could come in real handy for your project!

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Aug 15 2019 6:07 AM

Keep going with that project please!

This motor stand solution via Lintronic might be helpful, too:

http://lintronic.dk/AppNote_PulsingOutput.pdf

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Thu, Aug 15 2019 7:18 PM

TWG:
Keep going with that project please!

We are all over it! ,- but wait! The most important part is missing Confused The ir Receiver! What are we going to do, if only there was some easy way....

drmichi
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
drmichi replied on Tue, Aug 20 2019 7:58 PM

Mechanically it's done, except the cable routing.

Next task is to attach an Oscilloscope and analyze how to control tilt / rotate with that 5 plug wire.
Since the BV7-40 still works, I think I will be able to find a pattern how to control the stand through a NodeMCU. 

To get the BeoLab 7-4 working, I plan to use the "Stereo MiniJack with USB Trigger cable".
https://www.av-connection.de/?PGr=6497

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Tue, Aug 20 2019 8:21 PM

This extract from the service manual should help with control of the stand - you'll still need to scope the position feedback signal to see how that is encoded though.

The manual says: "Pin 4 Stand Position Feedback 0 - 5 V pulses" but doesn't go into any more detail.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Tue, Aug 20 2019 8:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you find, 2 bits only, Pan Tilt both using the same feedback. it has to be somewhat complicated.

Even more complicated by the fact that the pulses will properly only show, when its detected by the BV, which means you have to cut into the cable, I am not really inclined to do that,- yet

One more thing to look for, the stand is only detected after a power cycle, perhaps some initializing is taking place. 

If you make this part work Ican properly handle the IR part.

drmichi
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
drmichi replied on Wed, Aug 21 2019 8:02 PM

Thanks for that! I see they modulate 4 signals on two wires with a voltage level.
Lower voltages at 2.5V control the tilt, higher voltages at 5V control the rotation.

Should not be a problem, just requires some voltage drivers after the GPIO outputs.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Wed, Aug 21 2019 9:12 PM

Brilliant!

Good engineering, they already properly exhausted the 5V logic bits on the BV7-32,stand and when the 7-40 came along they simply worked below the threshold for the tilt function effectively having 3 states in one bit! Which properly means the control for all the bases of the different stands are identical. And since i have a bunch of 7-32 stand available i would actually make sense for me to dismantle one of those, for som reverse engineering.

What about the feedback,- modulated as well ?

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Did you perhaps finish the project? I am looking for the option to potentially rotate the BV 7-40 floorstand with STB brackets‘ VESA holder and Beosound Stage with a Beoremote One.

chrigix8
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

My question is where can I find cheap vesa mounts for the stand? The only option I found is from stb brackets and costs almost 300$. Is there a cheaper alternative or @drmichi how did you make your custom mount?

W.Frankenberg / Gandalf
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 290
Bronze Member

I would like to ask curiously whether the B&O Motorstand project has progressed further,

or is there already a prototype for the motor control with BEO4 without B&O TV?

Best regards

wilfried

W.Frankenberg / Gandalf
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 290
Bronze Member

AnalogPlanet:

Did you perhaps finish the project? I am looking for the option to potentially rotate the BV 7-40 floorstand with STB brackets‘ VESA holder and Beosound Stage with a Beoremote One.

this documentation could be helpful

TT455-RT-238 - Pulsing output for tv-stand:

http://www.lintronic.dk/AppNote_PulsingOutput.pdf

wilfried

UffeT
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
UffeT replied on Tue, Apr 14 2020 3:59 PM

What has happened with this project..?

I have the floorstand and the Beolab mounted to my Samsung UE55H7205U but it would be nice to be able to control the stand via a remotecontrol.

Is there a ready solution for this?

I´m not so much into building a box myself.

Best regards from Sweden.

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
Posts 271
Bronze Member

Hi all,

I subscribe to Michael from Lintronic’s news letter and the following info was included. Just in case of interest someone has developed a product to control the BV7 32 and 40 stands without the beovision. It requires the Lintronic box, plus an additional unit. Full info here 

http://lintronic.dk/AppNote_PulsingOutput.pdf

I’m in no way affiliated with either product.

apologies if this is the same solution as was being developed here!

emabonacchi
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member

Has someone decoded correct wiring?

After connecting +12v and -12v, how can i turn left and right the stand?

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sun, Jun 14 2020 10:18 PM

5V to pin 2 and 3 should turn it left/right respectively.

I have not tried myself. See diagram below (copy from page 2)

Did not have the courage, yet, even though I don't expect to use neither my low or high stand with a BeoVision again....

W.Frankenberg / Gandalf
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 290
Bronze Member

Ravsted:

5V to pin 2 and 3 should turn it left/right respectively.

I have not tried myself. See diagram below (copy from page 2)

Did not have the courage, yet, even though I don't expect to use neither my low or high stand with a BeoVision again....

Plesse neverever connect 5Volt two the pins 2 and 3 or the Stand!!!!!

A PWM Signal is needed two turn the stand! 

wilfried

Teyelvis
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
Teyelvis replied on Thu, Jun 18 2020 3:07 PM

Has anyone successfully made the stand remote control usable without beovision yet?

W.Frankenberg / Gandalf
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 290
Bronze Member

definitely yes!

take a look at this LinTronic brochure,  http://lintronic.dk/AppNote_PulsingOutput.pdf

Here Mr. Erik Prehn from ep-elektronic from Copenhagen presents his adapter box.

With the BEO4 and the LinTronik control unit, the engine status of the Beovision 7 can be controlled!

I did without the LinTronik control box and developed a controller with an Arduino for me that passes the commands of the BEO4 to the interface box from Erik ..... it also works !!!

wilfried

W.Frankenberg / Gandalf
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 290
Bronze Member

emabonacchi:

Has someone decoded correct wiring?

After connecting +12v and -12v, how can i turn left and right the stand?

probably never again, because the PWM electronics of the engine stand will be defective!

wilfried

emabonacchi
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member

I really hope i have not damaged motorized stand applying 12v. However, i am trying to "rebuild" a Beovision5 with a new monitor and a Beosystem3. I have upgraded this with a new decoder and i am controlling this from Beo4 and Arduino connected on the original IR in top of the Beovision.

Everything works fine, Arduino receive Ir signal simultaneously with Beosystem3 and can control decoder and led (red and green) into the upper box where receiver is in. The last thing to make working again, is the stand.

I would be happy if you can share your Arduino project related to control motorized stand.

Thank you.

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sat, Jun 20 2020 7:23 PM

@emabonacchi

Can you share the information about the connection of the original ir eye of the BeoVision 5

Currently I have an extra link eye connected to my Lintronic, but I would like to use the original eye simultaneously like you do.

Which pin is data and which is ground ?

Page 1 of 2 (55 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS