Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What Are You Working On Now

This post has 1,308 Replies | 20 Followers

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 6:42 PM

Beomaster 8000, finally got this on the bench last week then was hit by the flu from hell... This isn't the first time I have associated this model with catching a virus... starting to think there is a link here...

Not going to post all the piccies here as photobucket have made it harder to get the links now, so some pics are here and should be fairly self explanatory...

http://s170.beta.photobucket.com/user/olly-k/library/Current?

Faults were numerous, but down to old usual problems of an old tired amp with tired capacitors.... amongst the more worrying symptoms, No frequency dial operation, amp cuts out rather quickly, lots of led's missing...

I am particularly pleased with the replacement LED's I am using for the displays. They happen to be exactly the correct deep red hue of the original led's, which is much less common with modern replacements which can look closer to orange than red!!!

I should clarify, the segment on the right is the original and the segment on the left is the replacement! The colour isn't correct there is a better picture further down in the album (including a naked board picture) but it isn't showing at full size atm for somer eason...

With dropping resistors on the Cathodes, replacing the original display leads, the replaced led's are not in any way discernible from the originals! Really chuffed with the results...

So, very close to plugging her in and setting up, oh hang on.....

...Something has come up that has made me brush the 8000 aside Surprise Must be damn good!!!!

not B&O, but technically superior to anything they produced by way of turntable technology, and if anything like its later siblings (which I have seen a few of now) also make listening to vinyl a completely fresh and new experience (after a real good service that is!!!)

Here's a teaser picture....

Oh I can't wait till tomorrow now, sorry 8000 but you'll have to wait :-D

Olly

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 6:43 PM

Sorry that was the wrong picture lol...

Try again...

Olly

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 7:05 PM

Nice work on the LED's Olly! Could you give us the references and supplier please?

So how did you fix the frequency problem then? 

Oh that Sony Biotracer! Always lusted for one mysekklf... Lucky b****r!

Jacques

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:40 PM

Hi Jaques, as it's you mate the LED's are AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES HSMH-C120's. Double check the wavelength there are a couple of different types...

The frequency problem simply down to the IR emitter not working on the tuning wheel, I will guess either a dry joint or failed emitter but desk lamp was enough light to test operation so have left for now :-)

The Biotracer is the first released, I have had a few PS-x75's and PSx600's on my bench now but this is the first for the 80! Not mine unfortunately :-(
All I can say Jacques is get one mate, they sound incredible :-)

Olly

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:48 AM

Some more pics, and I have worked out how to put photobucket back to its good old self :-)

Showing the resistors in-situ. You have to be very careful removing the original leads as you can pull the tracks, but it can be done with care!
You will notice I stagger the leads, this makes inserting the boards much easier than if you leave the leads straight!!!

This is the fiddly board, again tracks are very delicate!

Led's tacked on then checked for alignment, before solder flowered to finalise connections.

Testing the LED's. This is the last 8000 I did not got to this stage yet, will be later in the week I think!

Olly

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 5:42 PM

An other CDM is going to get new c2103 in allways fashionable blue color.

And we have ... spin.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 5:47 PM

Great! Just that one (C2103)?

Brengen & Ophalen

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 7:21 PM

Just that on CD because struggling on regonaising disks, havent do anything else yet. Muting relay is bad, casette section noisy...

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 12:14 PM

Going to change muting relay on upper left of PA board. Not my favorite construction, but could be a lot worst...

And new relay on its place (the blue one of cource Wink)

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 12:19 PM

Next casette player, Going to clean and lubricate capstains, beware washers on top side.

Also "reel middles" and middlewheel on center

Still have some issue with windings, stops after second... Checked torque adjustments... Short of power?

Any suggestions? L272? Motor is ok.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Its Christmas, not working on B&O, but getting the food ready, Merry Christmas

Christmas cookies (Klejner)

And the Pork roast ( Flæskesteg) ready for the oven

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:12 PM

Food unknown to me Søren, but yummy!

I know, shame on me, not B&O but then very nice pieces too!

My second Revox G36, finished. Please double-click to enlarge! All valve of course. Mine was manufactured in 1966.

Now this Sony TC-399 (1980). Broken rotary command, glazed idler, and very dirty too. Found in a basement, upside down, ready for the tip!

This produces very nice sounds. Those F&F Sony heads are amazing... not a trace of wear at all!

Yes, I've got the fascia panel!

Jacques

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:55 AM

Fascinating these reel machines. I just apart my last one, Tandberg 3500X, simply dont have enough room for them... Days back then itching to have those big Akais, Technics or so...

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:07 PM

I also had the Tandberg 3500x once.
Actually, I have owned most of the range, 3000x, 3300x, 3400x, 3500, 3600xd and still have
the 9000x, 9100x and 10xd.
They are wonderful machines !

Martin

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 1:19 PM

I had a Teac Reel I bought over in Japan back in 1982, as good as it was, I never really used it that much. Erm... I just wasnt much of a tape person. I also had a wonderful Teac cassette player, also rarely ever used.

I pretty much jumped from vinyl to CD  back then.

But I do listen to a lot of digital files arranged on numerous changing playlists. It would seem I was someone waiting for the MP3 format.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Came to McAllen yesterday, found the P45s unpacked, except for bobble wrap, but apparently in good shape, the BG TX2 in its box, very good packed with 2" unicell, cut to fit all around it, will take some pics, specially of the TX packing, it may be useful for others. Will post pics later

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 4:51 PM

Søren Mexico:

Came to McAllen yesterday, found the P45s unpacked, except for bobble wrap, but apparently in good shape, the BG TX2 in its box, very good packed with 2" unicell, cut to fit all around it, will take some pics, specially of the TX packing, it may be useful for others. Will post pics later

I will light a Bhudist prayer candle that the 4 bass drivers are all still working - remember I was blessed by the ashes of the Bhuda himself so we have a relationship of sorts.

Sadly my mother did not make any traditional Scandenavian pastris this year.  We didnt even have any Lefse. We use to fry up the exact same little cookie and sprinkle it with powdered sugar or cinnamon. We called them something else Roughly translated as "funny mans buckles".

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

This might be under the category of "What will you be working on soon?" but I thought I would post this anyway.  My two primary turntables are a Beogram 4002 and 8002 - both of which I purchased new (1977 and 1983 respectively).  I recently came across this Beogram 8002 that I decided to pick up as a spare and a learning piece in case I need to work on my original 8002.  The 8002 pictured has a couple of problems.  One (cosmetic) is the cover was removed and the main lid spring isn't attached.  You can see the spring pushing up the plastic panel in the middle. Can somebody post the correct steps in re-attaching the 8002 cover?

Electrically, this turntable has problems. The turnable platter immediately starts to turn when the Beogram is plugged in. The control buttons do not have any effect. The speed indicator flashes "33" and the 45 speed button will not change it. The person I aquired this piece from said the turntable had worked well for a few years before it went into this state.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I decided to attack the lid attachment problem so this Beogram 8002 has become what I am working on now.  Examining my working 8002, I was able to sort out the re-assembly of the lid spring mechanism and re-attach it.  Now I have the electronics issues to deal with.  I'm going to start a separate thread for that. 

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 2:07 AM

in progress .....

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 9:39 PM

Good Job Eugene!

Well I have had a lovely couple weeks off now and not ready to start working again, but guess I'll have to!
Gonna do some tidying and sorting tomorrow and then hopefully will get back to the 8000 I abandoned some time before Christmas lol...

So what can we expect to see from others soon? Will be a Beomaster 6000 quad from me soon, maybe cord 5000 (the same era) then who knows :-)

Olly

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:39 AM

My recent B&O project list includes the Beogram 8002 (which I have started a thread on), the Classic Audio Tester project (waiting for all my parts to come in) and a Beovox MS150.2 pair of speakers which I will add to my MS150 speaker project thread from last year.  My wife wasn't happy with a second pair of the B&O behemoths coming into the house but I couldn't pass them up.  This new MS150.2 pair includes all of the grill covers and the original stands.  My MS150 speakers are missing the top grill covers and don't have original stands. I'll get a picture of the MS150.2 speakers posted soon.  Once I fix them up I might have to choose between keeping the MS150 or MS150.2 speakers.  But I'll worry about that later.  I also have a Beomaster 4400 in storage and I found a Beomaster parts unit for my Beomaster 6000 project that I shelved last year.

-sonavor

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 5:32 PM

Where has that 15v stand-by voltage go...?

BM 1900-2 inside-out

Is this the position in man should work with this?

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 5:52 PM

The guilty one to missing 15v was TO220 transistor on pic. Might as well change couple of caps while inside. Only mods I meka was changing coupling elkos to non-polarity plastic. Btw there was on turner in one place elko for left and tantalium for right channel.

These big ones can't be soldered just any way. I have to resolder wires to get them fit to chassis

Suppose top switch panel was meant to place in before bottom motherboard.... Bummer.

Can't do much for this, can you?

Last issue, missing volume control.

Guilty: broken CMOS on the pic. Was it ready broken or did I make static electricity for it?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 5:53 PM

All those ROE caps! Yummy! No - thumbs down

Jacques

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 6:21 PM
chartz:

All those ROE caps! Yummy!

Jacques

Yummy yummy

//Bo.
A long list...

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 7:11 PM

Bos00:
chartz:

All those ROE caps! Yummy!

Jacques

Yummy yummy

Are they something to eat? Haven't check them yet...

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Here's some candy for you - a complete LED conversion for the BM2400 / BM1900.

It wasn't that difficult really - the IC's which B&O used in the original circuit were designed to power LED's, not incandescent bulbs, so it was just a matter of reverse-engineering to what the IC designer wanted to do in the first place.

Menahem

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

The 2 red volume indicators and the 2 green stereo indicators remain incandescent, but because they are such low-current consumers, they will last a lifetime.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 7:26 PM

Actually they taste awful. 

Jacques

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

chartz:

Which ones? The LED's taste much better than the ROE's - much more crunchy.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 10:21 PM

Great job again Menahem!Yes - thumbs up As always....

Brengen & Ophalen

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:10 AM

chartz:

There is now Panasonic and Wima.  Taste...?

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:15 AM

Menahem Yachad:

chartz:

Which ones? The LED's taste much better than the ROE's - much more crunchy.

I was thinking LED's too, but didn't bother this time... And I had just right kind of lamps on my drawer.

How about volume control box (the one with LDR's)? Tried LED there?

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Yes, I did the volume control box also with LED's - 2 LED's in parallel for each of the 3 circuits.

Of course the new Panasonic's taste much better - lot's of juice inside. A bit spicy, though - it's acidic Lets have a Party !!!

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:20 PM

Just sending first time a MMC to Axel for repair.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Axel has done 7 retips for me, and every one is perfect.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 5:17 PM

Menahem Yachad:

Axel has done 7 retips for me, and every one is perfect.

Looking forward to have it back

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 11:19 AM

New project,

Have been dropped to the floor, so at least one of the doors are damaged.

CD clamp doesn't look alright.

CD is not reacting at all when trying to play a CD. Radio works fine. Suggestions?

//Bo.
A long list...

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:30 AM

What is your opinion out there, is there any point to change old conponents like rectifier diodes, if they have had little heat, as innocent bystanders/casual victims, if fault is someone elses? I dont speak over cookced capasitors here, but fro exapmle medium-raw to medium-cooked semicunductors. Resistors if they are in tolerances?

Page 15 of 33 (1309 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last » | RSS