Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New portable Beoplay A1

rated by 0 users
This post has 499 Replies | 4 Followers

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Chris Townsend:

It doesn't feel or look like a Beoplay product, but it does feel like the first decent original Bang and Olufsen design in years.

Agreed. I like it, I've heard it, I am buying it.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

oluv
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
oluv replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 11:38 AM

I haven't heard it but I ordered one anyhow.

will be interesting to put the UE Roll against it, I know the UE Roll costs a fraction of this, but they are equal in size. Time to show the people what junk UE produces.

http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/

newbie79
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
newbie79 replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 12:01 PM

I've read that you can Pair an Beoplay A1 with another A1 (just like you can do with the A2) - is there the possibility to mix them - so pair an A1 with an A2?

Thank you.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 12:10 PM

Totally agree with you Chris. The A1 is the FIRST B&O product that i've wanted to buy for a VERY long time. I like it. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 12:11 PM
newbie79:

I've read that you can Pair an Beoplay A1 with another A1 (just like you can do with the A2) - is there the possibility to mix them - so pair an A1 with an A2?

Thank you.

If possible you would get a strange sound.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 12:19 PM

Best website design i've seen for a long, long time - even a really nicely made video. B&O have really put a lot of effort into this one. I'm incredibly impressed. Well done guys!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 1:22 PM

It's getting great reviews too from the cool sites such as The Verge and NYC's Cooling Hunting. And well done to B&O PLAY for having all of the A1 videos on YouTube from Day 1. They've worked flawlessly on this! I'm truly impressed :)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Seems that the reviewers pretty much agree with me :-))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

elephant:
In addition to the Spotify list Steve mentioned m, Geoff Martin also has product based list. His naming convention is a little unusual; see below

Whaddya mean, "unusual"?

Stick out tongue

cheers

-g

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
After listening to the A1 for a week, I am more and more convinced that this product could work as an advertising product for all the beoplay and B&O line. I mean: imagine that someone is attracted by good music but he/she does not know the brand. Then you happen to listen to an A1 and you suddenly realize: if this brand is capable of manufacturing such a good product on a 250,00 Euro base, what are they capable of on a 5.000,00 euro base? And how would a 20.000,00 pair of B&O speakers sound? Do you know what I mean?
oluv
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
oluv replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 3:06 PM

250€ is still way to much for many. few are willing to spend more than 100€ for a portable speaker, let alone a small one like that with mono sound.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 3:10 PM
Then that part of the market is probably best served by other companies.
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 3:36 PM

It'll sell well, many are still paying for the BOSE one which sounds good. It's clear that the B&O is far superior design.

Put it another way, youngsters can now own a BANG&OLUFSEN hifi for less than what they'd pay for a bottle of a TOM FORD fragrance!

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 4:32 PM

As it has USB-C, can it be charged with the Macbook's 12" retina 29W USB-C charger or may it damage it?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 6:06 PM
I am really liking the look of this and the whole concept. Just need to hear one now.
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 6:54 PM

A1 released on a beautiful hot spring day here in the UK, sadly now on the day that musical legend Prince dies. His music thoroughly shaped the 1980's. I'm sure that his wonderful vibes will sound great on the A1! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Would be a perfect gift for your queen today from B&O 😊 :-))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

The Queen say cheers big catYes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 7:51 PM

A surprisingly positive review from Engadget. Normally they review everything from Bang & Olufsen as overpriced gimmicks...

In my opinion the Beoplay A1 looks like a Beoplay product and not like the real Bang & Olufsen deal.
I still think it looks ugly... sorry.  That whole retro looking stuff (no matter from which manufacturer) is clearly not my taste and it's not timeless like it was at David Lewis' times. I'm gonna listen to the A1 as I want an alternative to the Bose Soundlink mini but it just looks like some me-too product.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 7:56 PM

I just bought one in moss green. My dealer has it in stock!

oluv
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
oluv replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 8:14 PM

Paul W:

It'll sell well, many are still paying for the BOSE one which sounds good. It's clear that the B&O is far superior design.

Put it another way, youngsters can now own a BANG&OLUFSEN hifi for less than what they'd pay for a bottle of a TOM FORD fragrance!

sorry, but the Bose sounds everything else than good, this one is really overpriced, meanwhile there are many speakers costing half that sound better. The Bose starts droning and distorting already at half volume, and treble rolls off already above 8khz which is ridiculous and questionable how it could become that popular, are all deaf meanwhile because of too much disco, heck it became the most sold portable speaker in the world!

I must confess that it was revolutionary 3 years ago, as there was no other speaker that small that could produce such an amount of bass, but this was 3 years ago, and Bose didn't manage to really improve with the successor. Other companies managed to release much better products in the meantime.

I bet the A1 sounds way better and much more controlled, probably even louder, but the price is really what prevents it of becoming a hot-seller. If they kept it below 200€ this could be a real bomb.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 8:16 PM
Paul W:

A1 released on a beautiful hot spring day here in the UK, sadly now on the day that musical legend Prince dies. His music thoroughly shaped the 1980's. I'm sure that his wonderful vibes will sound great on the A1!

With you on that Paul.
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

oluv:
If they kept it below 200€ this could be a real bomb.

It will soon sell at that price on Ebay, don't worry. Talking from my early-adopting experience with A2 and A6. 

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 10:31 PM

It does not need to sell below £199. The A1 is quality. It's beautifully made. It's been designed by a true, highly talented and creative designer. It is wrong and unfair to expect it to drop below £199. Don't compare it to £100 cheap offerings. B&O have been very reasonable with the A1 - it's affordable, it's beautifully made, it looks expensive and hopefully it will last many years. Let's appreciate all of that!

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 223
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 10:38 PM

I agree with Paul. It's $250USD here, which I find pretty reasonable considering what you're getting. True, the markup is probably high, but the quality you get compared from the competition - that already isn't too far off from that price-point - I'm betting is already more than what we could ask for.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

I also agree with the points Paul makes. I think it is priced well actually and it definitely has a B&O feel and look to it with solid build quality to match. I like that its quite heavy as that makes me feel it is well built with quality components. I like how it hangs too and I have been patiently waiting for B&O to bring out something for me to feel comfortable using in the bathroom, washing my car and/or working out by my garage and for the garden, not to mention holidays abroad. It's a killer product and I can find no negatives so far with it. I am really pleased for B&O and hope it sells really well. I suspect it will and as a previous poster mentions this may attract a new younger generation to the brand and inspire them for many years to come, just as it did for us. 

Smile

11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 11:06 PM

Thanks Earle and Band'oh. It's very clear that a lot of time has gone into this. It's a quality product. Put it another way, a quality white shirt for a man is £199 (Zegna, Gucci, Burberry, DOLCE&GABBANA) or Tom Ford's best selling fragrance Neroli Portofino £215 or a nice pair of sunglasses £150+. When you look at those examples, it's unfair to expect a B&O to be less than £199 for a brand new design. Also if people are spending £300+ on Bluetooth headphones, surely this is a reasonable priced addition to share the vibe with friends?

This video truly shows the thought process on the design...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMdX7LdTjZU

plumber77
Not Ranked
Posts 76
Bronze Member
plumber77 replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 11:16 PM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 11:20 PM

Earle:

I agree with Paul. It's $250USD here, which I find pretty reasonable considering what you're getting. True, the markup is probably high, but the quality you get compared from the competition - that already isn't too far off from that price-point - I'm betting is already more than what we could ask for.

High markup is nothing to be ashamed of if the product offers good value and performance for the money. Markups are how businesses stay in business. I'm less concerned with how much the markup is than is the product a good product, does it perform well, and is it worth the money. I paid full list for my Beolit 15 and am perfectly happy with that, it's a remarkable product. Of course, my A3 for 100 dollars instead of 400 was even nicer. Smile

I paid full list back in the day when I bought my BS9000 and was willing to do so, it was unlike any other product I'd ever seen and to this day brings me a great deal of delight, either listening to it or just looking at it.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

plumber77
Not Ranked
Posts 76
Bronze Member
plumber77 replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 11:21 PM

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Jeff:

I paid full list back in the day when I bought my BS9000 and was willing to do so, it was unlike any other product I'd ever seen and to this day brings me a great deal of delight, either listening to it or just looking at it.

Love this Jeff, and exactly how I felt when I first saw the BeoLink 7000 remote as a schoolboy in the late 70s walking past the shop window and peering in. I just happened to be walking past when the dealer was laying it flat on a table demonstrating to a customer and I saw it rising up! And so began my love affair with this wonderful (though at times confusing!!) brand. I was hooked and in many ways I still am, even though I can grumble about some products not quite being what I expect. I guess B&O set the bar so high to begin with that I have, perhaps at times, been unrealistic in wanting them to keep upping the ante.

All in all though I am a loyal fan and the BeoSound 9000 along with so many other products in the history of the company will forever be held with such high regard and respect in terms of what went into design and production. Pure brilliance with build quality to match and of course that unbeatable smile you mention that I get every day with all my B&O products - those now - and those that have come and gone but NEVER forgotten. B&O is a love affair for me, with long lasting emotional attachment regardless of what they put me through!!

Big Smile

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 9:10 AM

I just did a home survey on my +20 year daughters. 

The market is overcrowded with such toys. Reasonable selling price would be 199 euro, at this price tag one of my daughters would fell for it.

Youngsters as them are not interested in the BO brand name but they would eventually pay the proposed amount of money because it seems to look a bit stronger for all day handling compared to the other plastic gear some audio brands are selling.

Another important aspect would be if the battery is interchangeable in future, it could happen they would not use the device for weeks and there would be no planning to keep a scheduled agenda to top up the battery at regularly intervals.

Both find the price tag at 250 euro to much, and told me they would spend that money more likely on another Android phone.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Wow, almost 200 posts in a few days!! What is sure is that this product is making people react a lot!! Big Smile
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 12:05 PM

Hi Chris,

Maybe in this case, the A1 would be an impulse buy when seen in a favourite store or boutique. It's a bit like the new rose gold MacBook. £1300 seems a heck of a lot of money for something basic and tiny BUT the minute the young crowd see it, they are loving its design, build quality etc and buying it. Instagram is flooded with a young fashion crowd showing this little design. 

I'm going to truly defend this A1 and say £199 is a perfect price point. You really can't expect a B&O for less than that! 

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

Ordered one (natural alu)... Delivery: 5th May :-). It's Mothers Day on the 8th May in Belgium... someone is't going to be happy that there's music again in the bathroom :-)

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 12:09 PM

Hi Paolo,

Yes, it think it's created a lot of attention. It's nice, it's cute retro even. Everything is spot on - all of the mags have reviewed it on day one, B&O have videos of it on day one etc. It's just a really nice design. Round design just seems to look great!

I wonder if they bring a rose gold one out to match MacBooks, iPads & iPhones / Samsung Galaxys? I bet Black Copper would be amazing too. Not a fan of the green one though.

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 2:03 PM

Best come and have a listen then Julian, it's mightily impressive..!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Hopefully my family and I can pop in tomorrow Yes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
I just got to handle one at my dealer - it's very very sexy!

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

Page 5 of 13 (500 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS