Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Can't decide between H7 and H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

ellesofia
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
ellesofia Posted: Sun, Oct 16 2016 5:59 PM

I feel like now is the time to buy new headphones and I have narrowed it down to H7 and H8. Unfortunately I live in a small town that doesn't have B&O stores nearby so I can't compare the headphones myself. I have read some bad reviews about H8 but they are mostly written in 2015 so I am wondering if they have fixed the Bluetooth connectivity issues. H7 has gotten more positive reviews so I don't know if it really is better than H8. Has anyone tried both H8 and H7? I like the comfort of over ear models but H7 doesn't have ANC and I can't say I am too happy about it. But if someone has compared H7 and H8 I would love to hear your opinion on this. 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Oct 16 2016 6:03 PM
ellesofia:

I feel like now is the time to buy new headphones and I have narrowed it down to H7 and H8. Unfortunately I live in a small town that doesn't have B&O stores nearby so I can't compare the headphones myself. I have read some bad reviews about H8 but they are mostly written in 2015 so I am wondering if they have fixed the Bluetooth connectivity issues. H7 has gotten more positive reviews so I don't know if it really is better than H8. Has anyone tried both H8 and H7? I like the comfort of over ear models but H7 doesn't have ANC and I can't say I am too happy about it. But if someone has compared H7 and H8 I would love to hear your opinion on this.

The h8 Bluetooth issues now seem to be resolved in current models. Mine work perfectly.

If you prefer over ear phones then I think i read on here recently that there will be a new H9 which is basically the H7 with ANC.
ellesofia
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
ellesofia replied on Sun, Oct 16 2016 6:16 PM

Oh really? Do you know when it is going to be available? This sounds perfect. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Oct 16 2016 6:28 PM
I have H8 in black (new model) and they work great. I had the hazel brown before and they had Bluetooth issues. Now it works better. Sound is full and they are comfortable. The materials make a lot of difference.

I haven't tried H7 but have H6 at home. They are bigger and lighter but looks a bit too big for my taste. The H8 presses against your ears and works great as ear muffs :). I don't know if H7 will but they put pressure around the ear instead. Probably quite comfortable too.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Oct 16 2016 7:29 PM
ellesofia:

Oh really? Do you know when it is going to be available? This sounds perfect.

The previous thread suggested December.
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, Oct 17 2016 8:12 AM

easy decision: Stay away from those crappy H8 headphones!

I had two of them and I'm happy that they are both back at the dealer. Embarassing to bring a Bluetooth headphone to the market that has so many connection and drop out problems. Bluetooth standard is over 10 years old and they didn't get it.

I didn't test the H7 and don't know if they are the same low quality as the H8.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Oct 17 2016 10:31 AM

I have:

• H5 that I use daily on commute and walking and exercise bike - none of the BT issues of the H8
  • H8 that I use some nights in BT mode to listen to BV via ATV - no BT issues when sitting, and sometimes when doing the above; also use wired with ANC on airlines
  • H6 use wired to BeoSound 4

So perhaps I have compromised, however I have a collection where the different configurations suit my lifestyle.

When it comes to sound, I would say I prefer the H8 over the H5 and the H5 over the H6 -- however for all round convenience the H5 wins.

FYI H7 thread http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/16977.aspx not that I am planning to add to my collection Laughing

BeoNut since '75

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Oct 17 2016 10:39 AM
TWG:

easy decision: Stay away from those crappy H8 headphones! I had two of them and I'm happy that they are both back at the dealer. Embarassing to bring a Bluetooth headphone to the market that has so many connection and drop out problems. Bluetooth standard is over 10 years old and they didn't get it. I didn't test the H7 and don't know if they are the same low quality as the H8.

We're these the older serial number models? My newer ones are absolutely rock solid.
ellesofia
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
ellesofia replied on Mon, Oct 17 2016 6:10 PM

H5 sounds amazing! I am not sure if I should wait for H9 to launch. My current favorite heaphones are falling apart so I need new headphones now. On the other hand if H9 is an over-ear model with ANC it sounds perfect for me. So I'm not sure if H9 is worth waiting. Does anyone know if H8 in Argilla Bright is still available? Some retailers seem to carry it but Beoplay website doesn't. 

ellesofia
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
ellesofia replied on Tue, Oct 18 2016 5:04 PM

So if someone has tried the H7 and the H8 how does the sound differ? A friend of mine has the H8 and it tends to fall off of my head, luckily I have never dropped the headphones but I don't know if it is a good idea to buy my own pair. Has anyone had the same issue or do I have a small head? I am sorry for having so much questions but I can't really make a decision based on the marketing claims. I am not going to go to the gym or anything with my headphones (I have a pair of in-ear headphones that I use for gym) but I don't really like the feeling that I am going to drop the headphones. Do you think that the H7 would stay on my head because it is an over-ear? Of course the H7 also weighs more... I hate the fact that I can't try these on personally. I think that I just have to ask a million questions and then make a decision. I would love to know more about the H9 but I think that I'll just have to wait until December. Thank you for your help! 

Fred_Nerk
Not Ranked
South Australia
Posts 11
Bronze Member
Fred_Nerk replied on Tue, Oct 18 2016 9:43 PM

I can't answer your specific questions about comparing the sound of the H7 vs H8. I have a pair of H7.

I didn't need noise cancellation as these are used in my home when I don’t want to disturb others and there is no competing noise. They are very comfortable over the ear for the duration of a movie or two. I wear glasses and the headphones do not cause any pressure or problems. I prefer over the ear to on the ear.

I find the sound quality very good and I get quickly immersed in the movie. Before long I forget I am wearing them.

For noise cancelling head phones (plane travel) I have a pair of on ear Bose "cans" which are wired (not Bluetooth). They do the job but I find noise cancellation is a noise reduction device and some noise gets through and so negates the effect of excellent sound.

I hope this helps.

Retired: Beovision 3-32, Beocord, DVD1. 

Current: Mx4002, Beovision 6-26, Beovision 7-40 Avant 75. Beosound 9000, Beolab 2, BL2000, BL4000 (2 pairs), BL8000. Beolab 90. Headphones H7, A8 (x2). Beosound 2 (x2). Beo4 (x4) Beo6 Beo remote 1. Essence Mk2. B&O bottle opener.

Associated: Synology NAS 32 TB. Apple TV 4

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 12:07 PM
ellesofia:

A friend of mine has the H8 and it tends to fall off of my head, luckily I have never dropped the headphones but I don't know if it is a good idea to buy my own pair. Has anyone had the same issue or do I have a small head?

My H8s did seem struggle with shape of my head.

Hence the adoption of the H5

BeoNut since '75

ellesofia
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
ellesofia replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 7:11 PM

H5s are a great option but unfortunately in-ear headphones don't fit in my ears comfortably. I am not sure why but they just don't fit. That is the only reason I can't consider the H5s.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Oct 21 2016 12:52 PM
ellesofia:

H5s are a great option but unfortunately in-ear headphones don't fit in my ears comfortably. I am not sure why but they just don't fit. That is the only reason I can't consider the H5s.

With the standard rubber fittings I get a good left ear fit but the right ear fit is problematic. I get channel drop outs - not sure if it's the fitting - the direction of the "horn" within the canal of my ear or just my ear itself.

I should experiment with the different fittings within the box but it's all a question of time.

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS