Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

TX2 with loose tonearm

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

battin
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
battin Posted: Tue, Jan 9 2018 7:25 AM

Hi all i have a question that is similar to this question , but asking again as i did not see any answers that resolved his question regarding the tonearm.

I just received a TX2 in good shape from eBay but i am afraid it was not properly packed during transport so the tonearm is now loose and does not lift. It is as if it has been disconnected from the spring/counterweight in its assembly.

I took of the casing and saw there is a spring in the back that seem to have the function of dropping the arm - but it seems like it is not connected to the spring - thus the arm is constantly dropped. I also got hold of the repair manual for the TX2 but it is not clear how the spring is connected to the arm, so not sure how to fix it.

Anybody had a similar issue like that with the TX2 (or maybe 4002 if it is a similar assembly), and do you know of a fix?

I could send it back for a refund, but if this is an easy fix, i'd rather fix it.

• Filed under:
Dustmaker57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

I’m new here and just saw your post.  Did anyone ever get back to you?  Since your original post was well over a year ago, I assume you either returned the TX2 or got it fixed.  The following comments are for others that may have a similar problem.

I am a new owner of a TX2 and I’ve been investigating how it works.  There is a horizontal white bar (about 5 inches long and about 3/16” thick-a bit oblong) in the back of the turntable underneath where the tone arm travels.  This white bar is connected by a thin steel rod (about 14guage) to a gear assembly towards the front of the turntable.  When the gear activates, it pulls on this steel rod which rotates the white bar and raises the tone arm.  If the turntable was shaken during shipment, it’s possible that this steel rod came loose either in the front of the turntable or at the back.  That would be a relatively simple fix to reattach the steel rod.

• Filed under:
battin
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
battin replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 7:11 AM

I never found a way to fix this issue so very happy to see your reply here

Looks like you are completely right. I have located the white plastic bar and the metal rod. Looks like they are not connected. Are you able to describe send me a picture of how they are supposed to connect? Is the metal rod supposed to be on the other side of the bar?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 7:32 AM

Near the other end of the white bar is supposed to be a spring. Is it missing?
Martin

battin
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
battin replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 7:47 AM

It is connected to this spring that lifts the tonearm if that is what you mean 

It does, however, seem to be loose and it feels like it should be connected to the metal rod somehow or held in place by it. As it is now, the tone arm is very loose and wobbly and if I turn the white bae the arm goes to the right position

Is anybody able to snap a photo of how the white bar and rod are connected? Basically what my previous post looks like in a functioning unit

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 7:50 AM

No. The spring I talk about sits at the bottom plate. Horizontally in a small ridge. Partly under and in front of the white bar, pulling in a small hook at the underside of the white bar.

Check also that the black vertical lifting arm from the carriage goes behind the white bar. Not in front of it. 

Martin 

battin
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
battin replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 8:01 AM

Tak , vil tjekke det ud :)

How do I get to the spring? Do I need to remove the whole tonearm assembly?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 8:02 AM

No.
Just open the Beogram into serviceposition.

Martin

battin
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
battin replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 8:44 AM

What's the correct way to open into service position. A Google search didn't give me detailed instructions for TX2. Do you happen to know?  Thanksh

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 9:07 AM

What about a servicemanual...
Take off the platter and push the carriage left as far as it will go.
Take out two screws under the right edge of the Beogram and lift up the right edge. The whole top is hinged along its left side.

Martin

Dustmaker57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

I’m a little late here and not intending on stepping into the conversation, so I am answering from your first  picture which is clear. The end of that steel rod, should be tight against the white bar.   Follow that bar towards the front and you will see it bends up and is hooked into a metal ‘h’ shaped bar at the top of the ‘h’.  The bottom left leg of ‘h’ should have a spring looped onto it which is connected toward a plastic black bar towards the front.  It connect near where the metal rod connects to the ‘h’ .   I can’t seem to figure out how to upload a picture, but hopefully my description above isn’t too convoluted

Dustmaker57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

To followup on this thread, the horizontal white bar should be laying flat.  In the first picture above, the white bar is upright even though the metal rod has not been engaged.  The comment above by Martin, is that a small spring on the right side should be pulling on the bottom of that white bar which will keep it flat.

Here are some detail instructions for the non-experienced serviceman:  You must put the turntable into service mode.  To do this, 1st-remove the platter paying attention to how the belt is attached.  You will need to reattach the belt when finished;  2nd- push tone arm assembly towards center of turntable (push from the back on the large square part, not from the tone arm itself);  3rd-lift up right side of turntable so you can access the bottom.  There are two small Phillips head screws along the right edge.  Remove those screws while supporting the bottom of the turntable;  4th-lower turntable back onto your workbench and lift right side of the turntable top.  It is hinged on the left side.  There is nothing to hold this open so you may need someone to help hold it open for you.  You are now in the service mode.  

The right side should now be fully accessible.  Check to see if a small spring is attached on the bottom of that white bar.  You will likely need tweezers to reattach the spring.  In worst case scenario, That spring came loose and is lost.  That spring is listed with reference number 1638 in the service manual.  With luck the original spring is still attached on one end.

W.Frankenberg / Gandalf
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 290
Bronze Member

battin:

Is anybody able to snap a photo of how the white bar and rod are connected? Basically what my previous post looks like in a functioning unit

in This Thread are Pictures that shows heplfull pictures !

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/29276/233348.aspx#233348

wilfried

Dustmaker57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

A correction on this post....the horizontal white bar should be vertical, not laying flat.  When that bar is flat, the tone arm is in the down (playing) position So at rest, I believe the bar should be vertical 

Dustmaker57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

A correction on this post....the horizontal white bar should be vertical, not laying flat.  When that bar is flat, the tone arm is in the down (playing) position So at rest, I believe the bar should be vertical 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS