Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovision Avant 55 mk1 screen fault

rated by 0 users
This post has 64 Replies | 3 Followers

Beofan25
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Beofan25 Posted: Sun, Apr 15 2018 4:36 AM

Hi, my beovisuon avant- screen has suddenly stopped working. It just shows a purpley distorted screen. Menus don’t come up. Does any one know what I can do about this? I have tried turning off and on but that does not work. I can not access the menus to do any kind of reset.

thanks!

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Sun, Apr 15 2018 8:05 AM
Hi,

This could be DVE, can you take a picture of this fault?
Beofan25
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Beofan25 replied on Sun, Apr 15 2018 12:23 PM

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Sun, Apr 15 2018 3:01 PM
That’s the Digital Video Engine fault, has to be replaced. Contact your local dealer and report the problem.
BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Sun, Apr 15 2018 4:26 PM

Pat:
That’s the Digital Video Engine fault, has to be replaced. Contact your local dealer and report the problem.

The remedy will be,- buy an Eclipse

Beofan25
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Beofan25 replied on Mon, May 14 2018 1:22 PM

So my Acant has now been repaired and. Is in full working order. The issue was with the graphics chip or something. Even though the TV was 6 months out of warranty the b and o store in Russell Street Melbourne organised it to be picked up and had it repaired free of charge. I seldom post, but i just wanted to highlight this excellent service.

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Mon, May 14 2018 8:18 PM
Beofan25:

I seldom post, but i just wanted to highlight this excellent service.

Thanks for doing so, we definitely need these stories as well. I am happy that it worked out so well for you!

BrianDS
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
BrianDS replied on Tue, Jan 29 2019 7:15 PM

Did you get a confirmation that this was the video engine that needed to be replaced? Or other work description?

I have the exact same issue, problem is little older than yours, so I am certain there will be no warranty exchange.

mcnamapa1
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
mcnamapa1 replied on Fri, Mar 27 2020 6:16 PM

My Beovision Avant 55 has the exact same problem.  I have been advised it’s the Video Engine board!! Did you have yours repaired?

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
Posts 119
Bronze Member
355f replied on Fri, Mar 27 2020 7:29 PM

Just had mine replaced as well  its a very expensive fix and B&O had a significant back order- so quite a common  problem

I wonder if the NG is more reliable?

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
Posts 119
Bronze Member
355f replied on Fri, Mar 27 2020 7:29 PM

Just had mine replaced as well  its a very expensive fix and B&O had a significant back order- so quite a common  problem

I wonder if the NG is more reliable?

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Fri, Mar 27 2020 8:02 PM
I just had a board replaced, also very expensive and I could almost buy a new 55” oled for the same price.

The note said that they replaced this

VE 1.7 50HZ DUAL T"/C/S

Whatever that is.

My tv is from January 2015.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
beolion:

I just had a board replaced, also very expensive and I could almost buy a new 55” oled for the same price.

The note said that they replaced this

VE 1.7 50HZ DUAL T"/C/S

Whatever that is.

My tv is from January 2015.

Correct it is expensive 😱

I was lucky insurance covered mine.

I also had the same thought but rather have it fixed. It’s why I chose a BV in the first place, means now I can be happy to use all my B&O speakers still etc

This was before we had other options like the Stage etc

After using it a few times you won’t think about the cost

Video Engine 1.7 , Terrestrial, Cable, Satellite

Aravind Viswanath
Not Ranked
Sydney Australia
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Hi was wondering more information about the insurance...? I also have a lot of older B&O, but was under the impression that home and contents insurance only covered fire, theft and accidental damage... not any sort of mechanical/electrical failures/faults 🤔. 

Perulf
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Perulf replied on Fri, Jun 12 2020 1:03 PM

Beolion,

I have just got the same fault.

Could You plase inform me how much you paid for the repair

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
Posts 119
Bronze Member
355f replied on Fri, Jun 12 2020 3:36 PM

its actually the largest board in the TV, cost about £1100 in the UK, seems they last about 5 years and then pack up, in my case the images showed a green outline on edges

This is the problem with B&O,  and will be the same for owners or the eclipse when the panels pack up

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Aravind Viswanath:

Hi was wondering more information about the insurance...? I also have a lot of older B&O, but was under the impression that home and contents insurance only covered fire, theft and accidental damage... not any sort of mechanical/electrical failures/faults 🤔.

I’m sorry I didn’t see your reply.

My insurance was provided by the credit card I purchased it on. It offers extra one year warranty on purchases.i got a quote from the repair company and I gave that to the credit card company. They paid me. I paid the credit card company.

After that the repair company gave me an invoice was higher than the quote which surprised me as the ticket had been closed by the insurance company and I oiled the ask for any more. So the repair company honoured their quote.
beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sat, Jun 13 2020 4:25 PM
Perulf:

Beolion,

I have just got the same fault.

Could You plase inform me how much you paid for the repair

Sorry to hear.

The replacement of VE 1.7 50HZ DUAL T"/C/S board was made onsite and the cost was dkk 7.200 including 25% VAT (dkk 1.400). I just checked the invoice.

I think it is a bit pricy but I am happy that my tv is working like a dream again.

I have disabled the quick start setting in order not to have the tv (partly) on all the time. I don’t know if that has an impact though.
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 8:04 PM
I’ve had an issue happening where the backlight turns off for a few seconds then turns on again. It’s very weird. I thought first it was my apple to but as I can see the video continuing if the sun is shining I know that at least video is fed to the tv and it’s just the leds that does not light up the panel.

Have anyone experienced this?

I have reached out to B&O which told me a service man will contact me but I’m a bit worried they will replace the wrong part (as happened with my old Avant and my Beolabs four times).

I have warranty until January 2021 so it’s at least good it’s happened now. But it happens just once every hour or once every four hours, it differs a lot.

Other than that I’ve had no issues yet.

Another issue I have since the last firmware is that the center channel is often lost if sound hasn’t been played for a while. For example if I turn on a Netflix show after idling 15 minutes. Then I have to change source and change back for the tv to properly detect and play center sound.

B&O has not replied regarding this and seem to not care. Just me who noticed this issue?

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 9:16 PM
I doubt B&O has the resources or the interest to care about odd random faults in their old TVs. The panel is outdated (probably not available from Samsung any longer) and the video engine is discontinued just like the whole Avant 55 as a product.

B&O's way forward with LG's OLEDs is something you should jump on. You'd enjoy the picture that's 10x better than any LCD, you'd have the longevity & support of a big brand manufacturer and the upgradeability of a modular TV setup.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Jun 17 2020 12:52 PM
KMA:

I doubt B&O has the resources or the interest to care about odd random faults in their old TVs. The panel is outdated (probably not available from Samsung any longer) and the video engine is discontinued just like the whole Avant 55 as a product.

B&O's way forward with LG's OLEDs is something you should jump on. You'd enjoy the picture that's 10x better than any LCD, you'd have the longevity & support of a big brand manufacturer and the upgradeability of a modular TV setup. KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

I’m not the one who is offering the warranty though. But it would be nice if they would just offer me an eclipse instead of course but that won’t happen.

I actually love the contrast glass and think it makes for bolder colors compared to the pretty boring looking oleds without anything in front. Just like with led screens B&O was the exception and now not anymore u fortunately.

Anyway I do like my TV, it is under warranty and we will see what will be done. I’ve been waiting for an eclipse 2.0 for a long while and would like to have one but since it’s still the old one that’s sold I’m not putting my money out just yet.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Wed, Jun 17 2020 10:48 PM
KMA:

B&O's way forward with LG's OLEDs is something you should jump on. You'd enjoy the picture that's 10x better than any LCD, you'd have the longevity & support of a big brand manufacturer and the upgradeability of a modular TV setup. KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

The LCD panels and Video Engines 1,7 still available
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I haven't had your issue Mike

Just on the other point, I get your sentiment, but whether B&O has the interest or resources is beside the point, they offer a warranty for the product to be free of defects.  It's on them to fix it. 

Best of luck. 

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
Posts 119
Bronze Member
355f replied on Thu, Jun 18 2020 9:12 AM

Whilst OLED is an improvement ( not 10 x better) over a good LCD, thats only hugely evident if one is watching 4K, when it comes to lower resolutions that advantage evaporates.

It seems panel reliability ( on AV forums and others) is far from good, and other tecnologies will gove OLED quality without the heartaches.

lets see how B&O treat the early eclipse customer with a panel problem- rinse and repeat on each generation of product im afraid

The 'way forward' is to sell LG technology at  a high price,  the sensible money has gone to non B&O panels and a stage. 

Not for nothing have B&O sales collapsed

Antonysoc
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Antonysoc replied on Sat, Jun 27 2020 10:14 AM

My Avant 55 tv did exactly the same last week. My dealer Acoustic Boutique recognised the problem from my screen shot and an engineer contacted me - needs a part which he’ll order and install, not sure when. It’s got a 6 year warranty which expires next year which I am relieved about as I have no desire to spend £1000+. Just hope it can be fixed and nothing else goes wrong.

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Thu, Jul 23 2020 6:50 PM
I guess the day I’ve feared coming came today. Sad

I’ve read all your horrible histories about broken DVE on Avant MK 1, and I suppose that’s exactly what happened here. Tomorrow I’ll call my dealer.

My LX 5500 lasted 22 year and costed a fraction of what I payed for the Avant bought the same week it was released in may 2014.

Antonysoc
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Antonysoc replied on Thu, Jul 23 2020 7:57 PM

Hi Daniel, Sorry to hear your tv has gone wrong. Mine got fixed last week and it’s working again. The engineer knew exactly what to do, verified the fault, opened the back panels, took out the faulty board (the main board actually) and replaced with a new one, put the wires, screws, etc. in place and the tv is fine again. It happened during the 6 year warranty so no cost to me. I hope the new board is more reliable than the old one as the warranty runs out next year.

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Thu, Jul 23 2020 8:22 PM

Antonysoc:

Hi Daniel, Sorry to hear your tv has gone wrong. Mine got fixed last week and it’s working again. The engineer knew exactly what to do, verified the fault, opened the back panels, took out the faulty board (the main board actually) and replaced with a new one, put the wires, screws, etc. in place and the tv is fine again. It happened during the 6 year warranty so no cost to me. I hope the new board is more reliable than the old one as the warranty runs out next year.

Great to hear yours is up an running again, and free of charge as well. Smile

If B&O has a six years warranty I will be quite sad, as I bought the Avant in May, and had it delivered in June, 2014.

Antonysoc
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Antonysoc replied on Fri, Jul 24 2020 4:55 AM

Hi Daniel,

I think the normal warranty is 3 years but the previous owner extended it to 6 years and I bought it used from Acoustic Boutique. They provided rapid service - all sorted in 2 weeks when the screen went blotchy.

You could explain to B&O that this is quality control issue with the DVE board in the Series 1 Avant which is known to go faulty after 5 to 6 years and should be replaced with a more reliable board. 

On a similar issue my 2006 Honda Accord had a cracked exhaust manifold as it was welded together and Honda replaced it free of charge with a one piece manifold 2 years ago although it had done 100,000 miles, as a goodwill gesture.

If B&O take pride in their products like Honda they might do the same.

All the best, Antony 

jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Montreal, Canada
Posts 200
Gold Member
jvezina replied on Fri, Jul 24 2020 8:08 PM

Apparently, this problem is caused by a lack of ventilation inside the Avant Mk1 cabinet, causing the motherboard to overheat and burn.

Willie Satanek has found a solution that is the installation of fans inside the cabinet. I have asked Michael (Mikipedia) to ask Willie to present his solution at the next podcast.

Regards,

Jean

PS I don't own this TV (I have an Eclipse and a BV 7-40) , so I cannot comment on the efficiency of this solution.

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Fri, Jul 24 2020 10:11 PM
My understanding is that all the Avant MK1, regardless of the size, might be affected by that issue, not the 55” only.

Correct?

Olivier
Antonysoc
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Antonysoc replied on Sat, Jul 25 2020 9:54 AM

Yes, I think it’s the same board which can go wrong in the different Avants.

OlivierC:
My understanding is that all the Avant MK1, regardless of the size, might be affected by that issue, not the 55” only.

Correct?

Olivier

benjnz
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Bronze Member
benjnz replied on Sat, Oct 24 2020 8:03 AM

Oh well mine went the same way yesterday :-(

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Sat, Oct 24 2020 2:25 PM

benjnz:

Oh well mine went the same way yesterday :-(

Oh, sorry to hear!

Mine is now repaired and work like a charm. The DVE had to be replaced. Took over a month for delivery in these COVID 19 days. Total cost was 1300 euros, but to my big surprise the home insurance covered it. Unfortunately I lost all recordings on my hard disc, as the TV appear as a new set. Lost many great games recorded with my favourite team.

val3rie
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
val3rie replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 11:22 AM

Hi, my parents Beovision Avant 4K tv has also a similar problem. Since one month the screen got all rose/pink patern. The resailer couldn't give them a date of repairment, but i'm worried about the cost, since the tv is out of warrenty, it was bought in 2015.

How can they avoid paying, since this issue seems to be often happening to this tv model?

It should be covered by B&O themselves

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

val3rie:

Hi, my parents Beovision Avant 4K tv has also a similar problem. Since one month the screen got all rose/pink patern. The resailer couldn't give them a date of repairment, but i'm worried about the cost, since the tv is out of warrenty, it was bought in 2015.

How can they avoid paying, since this issue seems to be often happening to this tv model?

It should be covered by B&O themselves

You can’t avoid paying, since the tv is out of warranty (unless you have a really (!) good relationship to your dealer).

However, though expensive (costs will depend on where you are located), you may concider it worth it.

The alternative would be to throw the Avant away, buy something much more expensive from B&O.....or go for something cheaper non-B&O ;-(

N.B. Yes, you will have to wait a while for this replacement board - but your dealer should exactly know how high the costs are.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

val3rie
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
val3rie replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 1:10 PM

Ok too bad that B&O doesn't get more in consideration the costs for a recurrent problem.

I'm in France, i'll try to reach out the mother home here and discuss this, because it's cleary not right for clients to have to pay for this problem..especially for such a high price product

Antonysoc
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Antonysoc replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 2:35 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems.

My Beovision 55 inch Avant TV has gone wrong 3 times in the last year So I doubt I’ll buy B&O in the future. Last July 2020  the DVE failed and it was replaced under warranty - fortunately I had a 6 year warranty.

Last month the motor which drives the tv and speakers went wrong and also replaced under warranty which expired in February 2021.

Now the screen has gone blotchy and grey again - need another DVE although it was replaced in July 2020. At least the warranty on it is still valid as it only lasted 8 months before failing. I have wait over a month for the new DVE though.

My old Toshiba tv which cost a fraction of the B&O tv is working fine after 12 years.

Is it my bad luck or is there a quality control issue?

val3rie
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
val3rie replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 2:50 PM

wow! that's crazy. 3 times you have problem + the new card from last year already have dead??

There's cleary big problems going on with this tv model...How did you do to get 6 years warrenty? it's usually 3 years..

You know apparently B&O TVs use LG screens, so maybe there's not that great quality if they use other party screens..

Antonysoc
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Antonysoc replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 5:29 PM

Yes, my 55 inch Avant tv has gone wrong 3 times in the last 8 months. Now waiting for a new DVE.

I bought it used in 2018 but the previous owner had extended the warranty from 3 years to 6 years. I think you have to pay for it.

Fortunately all the problems happened within the 6 years but if anything else goes wrong I’ll have a big useless tv. 
Any repair work they do will still have a one year warranty.

Page 1 of 2 (65 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS