Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Any Axiim Link with Beolab experiences to share?

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

gd61
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
gd61 Posted: Wed, Dec 4 2019 1:48 PM

Hi

First post here - so please be gentle!

I have just bought a LG C9 55”, an Axiim Link WISA transmitter and 2 x BL17, 2x BL18 plus a BL 19 secondhand during the Black week.

Everything plugs in and works fine – but I still have a few question I hope someone can share their experience on.

1: I am missing a Center Channel Speaker – as 5.1 sounds pretty silly (movies without dialogue)

I am considering a BL 7.1 with a BL Receiver 1 as one option – but is looking for any experience on how they will integrate sound- and connection-wise

Other option could be a Klisch RW-34C or Axiim’s own Center Channel. Sharing of any experience with these units will be much appreciated.

2: There seems to be a slight Latency issue – and the LG user guide is not very helpful in how this can be countered

There is a AV Audio Adjustment under Sound – but the Help speak about  a +/- setting, while the TV just has a numeric value.

I tried change the Sound Source from the Topset Box (a YouSee Humax box) from Bitstream to PCM and that seemed to help somewhat.

Best regards

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 1:53 PM
gd61:

Hi

I have just bought a LG C9 55”, an Axiim Link WISA transmitter and 2 x BL17, 2x BL18 plus a BL 19 secondhand during the Black week.

Everything plugs in and works fine – but I still have a few question I hope someone can share their experience on.

1: I am missing a Center Channel Speaker – as 5.1 sounds pretty silly (movies without dialogue)

I am considering a BL 7.1 with a BL Receiver 1 as one option – but is looking for any experience on how they will integrate sound- and connection-wise

Other option could be a Klisch RW-34C or Axiim’s own Center Channel. Sharing of any experience with these units will be much appreciated.

2: There seems to be a slight Latency issue – and the LG user guide is not very helpful in how this can be countered

There is a AV Audio Adjustment under Sound – but the Help speak about a +/- setting, while the TV just has a numeric value.

I tried change the Sound Source from the Topset Box (a YouSee Humax box) from Bitstream to PCM and that seemed to help somewhat.

Best regards

Thanks for posting I always did wonder if anybody have such a set up

I was thinking the same as yours with c77 instead

Did it sound strange without centre speaker?

Thanks

Vince
gd61
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
gd61 replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 2:14 PM

Well - if you are looking for a Stallone movie - without hearing his voice - this is the setup for you ;-)

Without a Center Front you are missing most of the dialogue - which sounds funny.

I changed the setup on the LG from 5.1 to 2.0 temporarily - so I at least can follow the plot! 

Hammej
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
Hammej replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 3:28 PM

Vince,

Please make sure you download the LINK app for iOS and Android. Update your LINK by going to Settings->Update.

This will enable audio mixing so the center channel content will be mixed into the two L/R main Loudspeakers. Email support@axiim.com for more questions.

Thank you,

James

gd61
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
gd61 replied on Thu, Dec 5 2019 10:40 AM

Hi again

I can confirm what Hammej wrote:

Updating to latest SW version in the Link App does indeed enable the Center Channel to be mixed into the Front Speakers.

So it Sounds OK now - even when the Audio on the LG is set to 5.1 - which effectively is 4.1

Thanks to Hammej for the notification.

It also seems like the Latency íssue is gone - or at least has become very small.

If that comes from the SW update or my change from Bitstream to PCM, remains to be checked later.

I am though still interested in any experience with a Center Channel Speaker - with or without BLR1 - put into the mix

Regards

Uffe

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

If you are sitting dead center (and alone) in the hotspot between the two L/R speakers this workaround might be ok for you.

However, a phantom center channel (that is what you get) will never be the same as a good dedicated center channel.

You can get a BL7-4 for little money nowaday and adding a Receiver One would solve the problem.....if it is a problem for you, of course.

Wiuld match the BL18’s well.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Fri, Dec 6 2019 9:04 AM
Millemissen:

If you are sitting dead center (and alone) in the hotspot between the two L/R speakers this workaround might be ok for you.

However, a phantom center channel (that is what you get) will never be the same as a good dedicated center channel.

You can get a BL7-4 for little money nowaday and adding a Receiver One would solve the problem.....if it is a problem for you, of course.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

That’s why we need a wisa soundstage equivalent for this

We’ll keep waiting
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 6 2019 9:21 AM

He agrees - but just doesn't think we'll get one anytime soon.

vlohjr1:
Millemissen:

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

That’s why we need a wisa soundstage equivalent for this

We’ll keep waiting

gd61
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
gd61 replied on Fri, Apr 24 2020 8:06 AM

Hi again

I just wanted to give a quick update on progress.

After good help from James at Axiim - the 5(4).1 setup worked fine, while i was waiting for a centre speaker.

I tested the BLR and BL 7.2 combo, but at the time it did not work.

I could not pin point the issue (LG, Axiim or BLR problem?), but it sounded awful, so I could return it with this option checked as "Tested - Not Approved".

I then looked around and settled for Klipsch RW-34C which seemed to do the job. But it took some work and waiting to get distributor to bring it to Denmark. Now it is here and it works fine. Speakers are not in final position - but sound (level and quality) is fine and I am a happy Bunny.

Still to be worked out are:

Sometimes updating the Axiim software is tricky and takes some attempts

Sound timing between speakers and TV sometimes seems drift over a longer session - easy fix by a reset

But I am sure that James and Axiim will get that worked out as well.

So all in all I am happy to have good powerful sound with flexible location - without introducing too many eye sores in the mix.

Regards

Carsten
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 44
Bronze Member
Carsten replied on Wed, Jul 15 2020 6:28 AM

Hi. Still happy with the Axiim Link unit ?

gd61
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
gd61 replied on Wed, Jul 15 2020 9:19 AM

Hi
Yes - still happy.
The upgrade issue seems to be linked to the IOS units used. Older iPhone failed - while a newer iPad Pro does the job in 1 or 2 attempts.
The Axiim updates also seemed to have cured the timing issue - so my beef with the setup as of now, is when turning TV on - it sometimes misses the WISA speakers, and defaults to internal speaker.
It is an easy fix (just switch to WISA on TV setup), and probably a LG issue more than a Axiim error.

Otherwise still a happy bunny.

simphax
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
simphax replied on Thu, Jul 30 2020 9:26 AM

I will share some of my experiences.

I have an LG C9 and 2xBL17 with the Axiim Link since december 2019.

Initial setup is surprisingly easy, basically plug and play, love it.

Latency is an issue. There is about a 100ms delay initially and it is noticeable in lips not syncing. I can not see a difference changing from Bitstream to PCM. Also  I have all latest updates on TV, Link & speakers. Over time if the TV is on for many hours the latency will be really bad and it feels like it could be like a half second delay. Uplugging and replugging the Axiim Link USB cable resets the latency back to 100ms (which is still bad).

Using the Axiim Link connected to a computer will have virtually 0 latency, so there seems to be an issue with LG/Axiim not working well together.

Another issue that I had for a while was that my 5GHz WiFi and the WISA connection would interfere. Every time I turned on the TV, the Apple TV would disconnect from the WiFi and the speakers would connect and disconnect, switching between red and green light for like three minutes before everything stabilised. I tried setting different channels  (36-48) on my router but it did not help.Changing the region in the Axiim Link app from "Europe" (which I should have since I'm in Sweden) to "USA" solved this issue for me. Maybe I'm using some illegal frequences now but it works : )

pauliander
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member
pauliander replied on Thu, Jul 30 2020 12:47 PM
I would like to know if latency issues also would exist in this set-up with an xbox console as base? If anybody could report on that - that would be great. Smile
simphax
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
simphax replied on Sun, Aug 2 2020 3:46 PM

Hi guys, I did a factory reset on my TV and that seems to have solved the latency issue :D

Now I have a new issue though :P which might be more connected to my setup rather than a general issue.

I added two more speakers for a 4.0 setup. Now I have two BeoLab 17 and two Harman Kardon Citation Surround. The Axiim Link does a great job converting Dolby Digital 5.1 to the correct speakers and I'm happy with that.

As one can expect when having mis-matching speaker models, the output levels between the B&O and the HK speakers are not equal. Luckily there is a setting in the Axiim Link app to change "per speaker volume". The problem is that, depending on if I change the volume via the TV remote or the Axiim Link app, I need to put different settings the the "per speaker volume".

When changing the volume via the TV remote I need to put +10 on the B&O's and -10 on the HK's. This is as far as the sliders go in the app and still it's not quite a perfect match.

When I change volume in the app, the corresponding settings need to be 0 on the B&O's and +4 on the HK's. This gives a better match in terms of volume between the speakers.

For me this means I can no longer use the TV remote to change volume, which is such a bummer because it is so much more cumbersome to open the app, wait for the connection and fiddle with the small slider (with is very inconveniently placed in the bottom of the screen where the iPhone app-switcher touch surface is, so you need to be really precise so you touch the slider and not accidentally switch apps).

simphax
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
simphax replied on Mon, Aug 3 2020 8:22 AM

Nevermind, the latency issue is still there. Especially noticeable when using "Game" video mode. It's around 80ms now initially and after the TV has been on for around 8 hours it's at 400ms latency.

simphax
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
simphax replied on Mon, Aug 3 2020 12:56 PM

Hehe sorry for spamming but I'm gonna add one more thing to my list of issues :)

If I use the LG remote to change the volume, usually it works but sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds for the change to actually happen in the speakers. Using the app always works.

alvinhctan
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
alvinhctan replied on Mon, Sep 14 2020 11:52 AM

Hi I got LG NanoCell with A7 gen2 processor and similar B&O speakers. I’m not about to change from stereo to 5.1 in my setup, can someone please assist?

gd61:

Hi

There is a AV Audio Adjustment under Sound – but the Help speak about  a +/- setting, while the TV just has a numeric value.

Best regards

simphax
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
simphax replied on Tue, Sep 15 2020 1:00 PM

Assist in what? What is it that is not working for you?

alvinhctan
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Hi, got some feedback from Axiim, apparently LG TV in Asia does not support WiSA 5.1 channel, Only 2.0 channel available, such a bummer.

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Sat, Nov 6 2021 2:09 AM

Hi All

Sorry for adding to an old thread, but it seems the most relevant one.

I have a 7.1 HT system, all Beolab, and a new LG OLED G1 tv. My Klipsch wisa hub is getting old and need replacing.

I have tried in vain to buy a Axxim Q hub as a replacement, but it appear to only be available as part of a speaker package.

Is a Axxim Link, or a soundsend USB stick wisa transmitters an option, when you have multiple sources, some without volume control? ( i know they are only 5.1)

Are the issues with volume control and latency mentioned in this thread still a problem for the Axxim Link? My speakers certainly also need volume adjustment to avoid the 7.4 center speaker from overpowering everything else.

How is the Beolab speaker software updated? can the link/stick do it, or do I need to (again) take all the speakers/ R1 boxes to my B&O dealer?

ORCA99

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Sat, Nov 6 2021 2:09 AM

Hi All

Sorry for adding to an old thread, but it seems the most relevant one.

I have a 7.1 HT system, all Beolab, and a new LG OLED G1 tv. My Klipsch wisa hub is getting old and need replacing.

I have tried in vain to buy a Axxim Q hub as a replacement, but it appear to only be available as part of a speaker package.

Is a Axxim Link, or a soundsend USB stick wisa transmitters an option, when you have multiple sources, some without volume control? ( i know they are only 5.1)

Are the issues with volume control and latency mentioned in this thread still a problem for the Axxim Link? My speakers certainly also need volume adjustment to avoid the 7.4 center speaker from overpowering everything else.

How is the Beolab speaker software updated? can the link/stick do it, or do I need to (again) take all the speakers/ R1 boxes to my B&O dealer?

ORCA99

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS