Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 5 Encore + PLEX dlna server

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 270
Gold Member
MJBeo Posted: Fri, Nov 13 2020 9:37 PM

Hi everyone, I finally got my hands on a very nice Beosound 5 encore!

I have my music stored on Synology DS418play NAS. It runs a PLEX server which makes sure all the music is tagged and had proper albumcovers. I enabled the DLNA feature in plex, selected that as my N.Music server in BS5e, and.... nothing.

I thought the library was too big, so I created a PLEX server on my macbook with just 4 albums in it and no movies. Also that one did not show any music on the BS5e.

Then I installed the trial version of Twonky Server, with the same albums and it showed up and played immediately. But the meta tagging is not properly done, because Plex used to take care of that for me.

I saw this thread: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/9629.aspx, and I also have seen the option of writing a user profile for the DLNA server of plex: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/9629.aspx. That is a outside my comfort zone so before I dive into that, has anyone tried to make this work? I saw one person raising this issue too, but without a solution: https://forums.plex.tv/t/writing-profile-for-b-o-encore-5/66395

Thanks in advance. If I manage to get it working I will share my experience.

Beosound 5 Encore + Beosystem 5500 + S45.2; BV7-40 MKV + BL7.1 + BL14.4+ AppleTV4; various link rooms with MCL2 A or MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX100 / CX50 & Cona  / IWS2000; BG4000; Beosystem 1200 + BV1600.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Nov 15 2020 2:15 PM
I was not able to have my PLEX DLNA server recognized by my BS Moment either, I guess the way PLEX has implemented this service is not as standard as it should versus many other DLNA servers I have tested against the BS Moment, so I’m not surprised that your Essence has the same issue.

PLEX has its own separate database to manage tracks’ metadata, so the information is not embedded in tracks thus cannot be leveraged by other DLNA servers.

On my side I’m enriching my music files with SongKong and Metadatics, PLEX adds whatever is missing for its own needs. At the end of the day PLEX as well as my other DLNA servers have enough to properly expose my music information.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 270
Gold Member
MJBeo replied on Sun, Nov 15 2020 4:58 PM

Thank you your quick reply! I actually noticed that when I user plex dlna server as source for other dlna clients it actually gives all the album information and covers, which are missing when using Twonky or other dlna servers. That was also the reason to go that route.

Meanwhile I got two steps further: I was able to create a user profile, as described in my link above, for Beosound 5 encore that is recognized by PLEX. Still no content visible in my library, but it is a first step. To be able to listen to mu music I installed the linux version of Twonky on my synology DS418play, via ssh because it is officially not supported as package.
So now I have music from the NAS, even m4a files coming from iTunes. But very few covers so I am not giving up yet.

Beosound 5 Encore + Beosystem 5500 + S45.2; BV7-40 MKV + BL7.1 + BL14.4+ AppleTV4; various link rooms with MCL2 A or MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX100 / CX50 & Cona  / IWS2000; BG4000; Beosystem 1200 + BV1600.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Nov 15 2020 7:58 PM
To give more details on my experience:

To be able to leverage the PLEX DLNA server with my B&O products, BS Moment included, I had to create a B&O PLEX profile otherwise I could not play hires files out of the PLEX DLNA server.

But I never managed to have the BS Moment collecting information from the PLEX DLNA server to build its own database, which I can do with Synology, QNAP, Twonky or MinimServer DLNA servers. I guess this is the same issue with your BS 5

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 5:44 AM
Formal spoken: in origin Plex is no DLNA server.

With an additional shell it is capable to be used as DLNA server (with restrictions??)

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 8:51 AM

Carolpa:
Formal spoken: in origin Plex is no DLNA server.

Not sure I understand what it means? PLEX Media Server has a DLNA on/off configuration setting, has several DLNA configuration option, either through the UI of through configuration files, and I'm using this DLNA server on a daily basis, driving it with the B&O App against any of my B&O DLNA capable products.

The only not working thing is the ability for the BS Moment to harvest it. I have not spent much time on this issue as I would have no support from B&O for the BS Moment which would make the communication with PLEX support more difficult.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS