Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

WiSA SoundSend Review (using with Beolab 20)

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 2 Followers

jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell Posted: Sun, Mar 21 2021 6:42 AM

Hi,

I wanted to share my disappointing experience with my newly purchased WiSA SoundSend transmitter.

Background:

I'm currently using a pair of BL20s as a 2.0 system with a non-B&O TV. In order to establish a wireless connection, I was previously using a Transmitter 1 connected to a Celadon USB IR Receiver (RCV3000) for volume control - no Core needed. However, the TL1+IR receiver could not decode Dolby Digital/Atmos. It was this reason that prompted my purchase of the SoundSend since it can decode the aforementioned audio formats. At the end of the day, why purchase $15k speakers if you can't enjoy Dolby Digital?

Experience:

I received my new SoundSend this afternoon. Set-up was easy enough: simply plugged it into the HDMI ARC port and downloaded the app. The TV automatically recognized the SoundSend and defaulted to it as the primary audio output. The TV also enabled Anynet+ so I could use my TV's remote for volume control - nice! From there, the SoundSend set-up was fairly easy. I pressed the reset buttons on the BL20s to get them into pairing mode and the SoundSend recognized them quickly. I configured the speaker placement on the app and I was done! 

I decided to run the TV non-stop for about 5 hours in order to test any syncing or signal issues. I tested multiple sources:

1. Cable Box: ATT U-Verse

This was the first source I tried. It was wonderful for the first 45 minutes or so. Then, all of a sudden, the BL20s turned off for about 3 seconds and then turned back on, right in the middle of the movie. This continued to happen about once every 45 minutes - 1 hour. About half of the time this happened, when the speakers would turn back on, sometimes only ONE speaker would continue to play... even though the 2nd speaker was powered on. When this happened, I would need to change the audio output back to using the internal TV speakers, and then back to ARC (SoundSend) again. This usually fixed the issue, but other times it did not and I would have to turn the TV off and on again. This is a very frustrating experience and not acceptable.

2. Native Apps on my Smart TV: Disney+

When viewing any content, only 1 speaker played audio. The second speaker remained powered on, but no sound would come out. I could not fix this issue. 

3. Apple Airplay

This is by far the most frustrating issue, especially since music is what I use the speakers most for. My Smart TV has Airplay built-in, so I figured I would not have any issues streaming music. Well, I don't know why this happens, but once I connect to the TV via Airplay, and right when I press the "play" button on my Apple Music app on my iPhone, both BL20s immediately power off, then immediately power back on again, all within 2 seconds, and then proceed to play the song like nothing happened. Once I decide to pick another song to play, the same thing happens all over again. So, I essentially miss the first 2 seconds of every song that I attempt to play, not to mention my concern of possible long-term damage that this could cause to the speakers.

So, unless someone has any solutions or recommendations, I will most likely be returning the SoundSend and reverting back to the Transmitter 1/IR receiver combo. 

I hope someone finds this information useful. Perhaps this is just a one-off occurrence (faulty SoundSend perhaps?), but the reviews of the SoundSend on the Apple App Store say otherwise...

Thanks for reading.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 8:45 AM
Thanks for the review, Soundsend is on my wishlist for when it will be available in my country.

Hopefully the Wisa team will help you addressing your issues, I found them responsive to my questions prior to the product launch.

Keep us posted please .... if you don’t return it.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

jabell:

Hi,

I wanted to share my disappointing experience with my newly purchased WiSA SoundSend transmitter.

Background:

I'm currently using a pair of BL20s as a 2.0 system with a non-B&O TV. In order to establish a wireless connection, I was previously using a Transmitter 1 connected to a Celadon USB IR Receiver (RCV3000) for volume control - no Core needed. However, the TL1+IR receiver could not decode Dolby Digital/Atmos. It was this reason that prompted my purchase of the SoundSend since it can decode the aforementioned audio formats. At the end of the day, why purchase $15k speakers if you can't enjoy Dolby Digital?

I am just curious - why would you be interested in ‘Dolby Digital/Atmos’, when your setup is 2-channel based (the BL18’s)?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 12:13 PM

I’m wondering if you absolutely require going wireless. For a 2.0 system on a TV, I’m guessing all components are located near each other? Maybe wires would be acceptable. If so, your best bet would be an S8 connection hub.

Good luck!

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 1:11 PM
mbolo01:
Soundsend is on my wishlist for when it will be available in my country.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/1924138446.htm
mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 5:54 PM
CB:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/1924138446.htm

Interesting, merci.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell replied on Thu, Mar 25 2021 1:52 AM

mbolo01:
Thanks for the review, Soundsend is on my wishlist for when it will be available in my country.

Hopefully the Wisa team will help you addressing your issues, I found them responsive to my questions prior to the product launch.

Keep us posted please .... if you don’t return it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just emailed their support team, so hopefully they can provide a solution. I will keep you updated.

My experience has gotten worse: as of right now, audio only plays out of 1 speaker. 

jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell replied on Thu, Mar 25 2021 1:54 AM

Millemissen:

jabell:

Hi,

Background:

I am just curious - why would you be interested in ‘Dolby Digital/Atmos’, when your setup is 2-channel based (the BL18’s)?

MM

I thought Dolby Digital was able to be experienced through a 2.0 system, but it sounds like that is an incorrect assumption based on your response. Pardon my ignorance! :)

jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell replied on Thu, Mar 25 2021 1:59 AM

Curly:

I’m wondering if you absolutely require going wireless. For a 2.0 system on a TV, I’m guessing all components are located near each other? Maybe wires would be acceptable. If so, your best bet would be an S8 connection hub.

Good luck!

Ah! Great recommendation. Although I prefer going wireless for aesthetic reasons, I believe the old fashioned route (using wires) is best. I did some quick research and it seems like the S8 connection hub is capable of volume control, so that takes care of one hurdle. Does the S8 connect to the TV via optical? And does the S8 hub offer enough ports to accommodate 2 Powerlink cable inputs from both of my BL20s? Thank you!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

jabell:

Millemissen:

jabell:

Hi,

Background:

MM

I thought Dolby Digital was able to be experienced through a 2.0 system, but it sounds like that is an incorrect assumption based on your response. Pardon my ignorance! :)

No problem!

Dolby Digital is a way to shrink the files - a bit like MP3 - and offers a lossy quality.....it can be used with a 2 channel file, a multi channel file, even with a mono channel.

Dolby Atmos is basicly only available together with a multi channel (= more than 2) sound file - Dolby Digital Plus from streaming services, Dolby TrueHD from Bluray discs.

For a 2 channel based setup it will always be best to use the option PCM in the source (the tv).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell replied on Thu, Apr 1 2021 1:57 AM

In case anyone is interested, I reached out to Jeff Noah (WiSA Product Manager for SoundSend). He was very informative, but it sounds like there are still some kinks to work out:

Jeffery:

You are the first to point out (and we appreciate it!) that the "slow start" of playback is far more detrimental to the "music listening" experience than watching a movie or TV show - which should have been obvious to us but for some reason that never clicked.

A previous B&O customer (18's) had a bit more bizarre behavior with his speakers, and we unfortunately updated several things at once, so we don't know what actually improved the issue of the speakers disconnecting with every second or third channel change and sometimes at random.

We had replaced the other customer's SoundSend with a unit programmed with newer firmware (1.21), and his speakers were updated to the latest B&O firmware. The B&O Lifestyle rep also updated the Summit Wireless Receiver Module firmware in both his speakers. At this point, his speakers no longer exhibited the issue of disconnecting randomly or upon some channel changes.

Let me point out that these updates will not fix the delay at the start of playback. We are working to identify a solution to eliminate this delay upon initial playback or content change and will let you know when we have a solution.

In the meantime, we do recommend you contact your B&O Lifestyle representative and see if they can provide updated firmware for your speakers if any is available.

Regards,

Jeffery

Jeff Noah
WiSA Product Manager
jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell replied on Thu, Apr 1 2021 1:57 AM

In case anyone is interested, I reached out to Jeff Noah (WiSA Product Manager for SoundSend). He was very informative, but it sounds like there are still some kinks to work out:

Jeffery:

You are the first to point out (and we appreciate it!) that the "slow start" of playback is far more detrimental to the "music listening" experience than watching a movie or TV show - which should have been obvious to us but for some reason that never clicked.

A previous B&O customer (18's) had a bit more bizarre behavior with his speakers, and we unfortunately updated several things at once, so we don't know what actually improved the issue of the speakers disconnecting with every second or third channel change and sometimes at random.

We had replaced the other customer's SoundSend with a unit programmed with newer firmware (1.21), and his speakers were updated to the latest B&O firmware. The B&O Lifestyle rep also updated the Summit Wireless Receiver Module firmware in both his speakers. At this point, his speakers no longer exhibited the issue of disconnecting randomly or upon some channel changes.

Let me point out that these updates will not fix the delay at the start of playback. We are working to identify a solution to eliminate this delay upon initial playback or content change and will let you know when we have a solution.

In the meantime, we do recommend you contact your B&O Lifestyle representative and see if they can provide updated firmware for your speakers if any is available.

Regards,

Jeffery

Jeff Noah
WiSA Product Manager
jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell replied on Thu, Apr 1 2021 1:59 AM

It's worth noting that Jeff Noah also mentioned that the Axiim Link does not exhibit the startup delay as with the SoundSend. 

I have returned the SoundSend and placed an order for the Axiim Link. I will report back shortly with results. 

jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell replied on Thu, Apr 1 2021 2:04 AM

It's also worth noting that Jeff Noah said the Axiim Link does not exhibit the startup delay as with the SoundSend.

I have returned the SoundSend and purchased an Axiim Link. Will report back shortly with results. 

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Sat, Apr 3 2021 6:27 PM

For a simple 2.0 or 2.1 system to a non-B&O TV, I think the S8 connection hub is a great option. The hub connects to the TV via Toslink optical. You connect one speaker to the hub via Powerlink and connect the speakers to each other via PL as well. You use the R and L switch on each speaker to assign left and right channel. You don’t actually connect both speakers to the hub, you connect them to each other and just one of them to the hub. And yes, the hub allows you to use your TV remote to volume up, down and mute the speakers.

As for sound codecs, you’ll be limited to whatever your TV outputs over Toslink Digital Out. You can check your particular TV specs to see what that is but it will not be Dolby Atmos, I know that much. I’m pretty certain no TVs output Atmos over Toslink; I think you’d need some type of external AVR for that. If that matters to you. 

I hope this helps! 

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

stupifier
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
stupifier replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 2:35 PM

Anything to report regarding SoundSend WiSA vs Axium WiSA experience? Really curious. The SoundSend Transmitter is supposed to be the newer/better one....kinda surprising if the Axium is better.

taxman2020
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Ive had similar issues with the soundsend and beolab 28's - constant sound drops and lost connection (to the point the speakers close their wooden curtain things and then reopen a few seconds later).  The soundsend is in the same room as the speakers around 4m away and at just over head height (although ive tried moving it around).  Im running an earc out of an LG projector to the soundsend.

Ive also tried turning off 5ghz wifi and changing wifi channels on my router (and switching the sonos system off)  to try and reduce interference on whatever frequency the soundsend/wisa is working but it makes no difference.  total waste of time

ive ordered a transmitter 1 so hopefully that will fix the problem

I would not recommend the soundsend transmitter at all - not sure if im in a "bad area" in the sense of conflicting signals on the wisa frequency band or something (townhouse in Islington)

taxman2020
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

thought i would update this thread to say that the transmitter 1 solved all my problems - perfect sound and no drop outs

I would say that the set up process and interface is pretty rubbish though - lots of trial and error and lots of loud static on the optical input until i switched it to LG mode on the projector optical out setting.  i cant control the volume using the projectors apps (eg netflix) and its horribly loud - fortunately i have a mag box which i can control the volume on through the transmitter 1 so it all works fine

programmerTim
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

In case anyone else opts for the transmitter 1, be aware of the lack of multichannel digital input. I believe optical is stereo only, and the multichannel inputs are analogue only so not ideal for digital wireless transmission. I'm still using my Axiim QHD since the Soundsend didn't support phantom centre 4.1 (I didn't notice problems with drop outs when I tried it, but with no centre it didn't stay long). I honestly don't know why B&O don't fill this space with a quality product, sure maybe they sell more TVs but must miss out on selling some speakers given the pain of connecting them to a non B&O TV.

programmerTim
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

In case anyone else opts for the transmitter 1, be aware of the lack of multichannel digital input. I believe optical is stereo only, and the multichannel inputs are analogue only so not ideal for digital wireless transmission. I'm still using my Axiim QHD since the Soundsend didn't support phantom centre 4.1 (I didn't notice problems with drop outs when I tried it, but with no centre it didn't stay long). I honestly don't know why B&O don't fill this space with a quality product, sure maybe they sell more TVs but must miss out on selling some speakers given the pain of connecting them to a non B&O TV.

taxman2020
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

ok so my issue now is that when i turn the projector off and then back on again the transmitter 1 isnt reconnecting to the 28's - what a nightmare this product is !

i might try the software update if i can find a thumb drive - again, what a stupid way to update firmware given the thing is a wireless transmitter.

taxman2020
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

just in case it helps others, i solved the problem by holding the store button for significantly longer than the 1.5 seconds mentioned in the manual (probably more like 5 seconds) and it stored the settings and remembers them on start up.

taxman2020
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

just in case it helps others, i solved the problem by holding the store button for significantly longer than the 1.5 seconds mentioned in the manual (probably more like 5 seconds) and it stored the settings and remembers them on start up.

jabell
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
jabell replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 2:55 AM

Hi everyone, I thought that I would provide an update to my SoundSend experience. 

The folks at SoundSend recently released a 1.28 FW update (available here: https://support.wisaassociation.org/hc/en-us/articles/1260804810690-SoundSend-Firmware-Update-Instructions). This is when B&O improvements were introduced, and I can confirm that my experience has been very positive. The dropouts have completely stopped and all speakers perform as expected regardless of the source. However, you MUST be sure that your SoundSend is running 1.28 FW, and you must ensure that your Beolab software is up-to-date (you can update your Beolab software via Transmitter 1 here: https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042525372-How-do-I-update-the-software-of-my-Beolab-17-using-Beolab-Transmitter-1-).

I have also confirmed that the WiSA SoundSend team will be introducing a new release (FW 1.39) within the next week or so that makes the B&O speakers behave much better than any release up to FW 1.28. 

The FW 1.39 release will feature the following:

1. Start-up delay with PCM stereo is gone

2. Delay with plain old Dolby Digital is gone in some cases

3. Dolby Digital + and higher still have a delay but it has been reduced a little. 

4. CD playback is flawless.

5. Support for 4.1.2 and 4.1 speaker configurations. 

I am very pleased with my SoundSend now and do not anticipate having to search for another solution. I appreciate the ongoing support from the WiSA team to improve their product and foresee very good things in the future. 

programmerTim
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Thanks for the update. Pleased to see 4.1 support!

programmerTim
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Thanks for the update. Pleased to see 4.1 support!

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 9:09 AM

jabell:
I am very pleased with my SoundSend now and do not anticipate having to search for another solution

Thanks for the update, very encouraging.

Showstoppers for me are now (1) availability in France (2) automatic switch between HDMI and Optical sources based on signal detection and priority setup (like TR 1 in switch mode)

Syrianos
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Hi,

Nice to see that wisa is still working on soundsend. 

Their website is currently a dead end to the firmware update and I'm also dissapointed with the manual or info that's available.

I am particularly interested to know if 4.0 setup is supported as downmixing option.

My setup:

2x Beolab 28 Front

2x Beolab 17 Rear.

The 28's have a sub on each and more than enough bass, so I'm not adding a 19 or anything as extra sub to upgrade to a 4.1

Can the TV (LG G1) do the audio conversion or does anyone know what the audio settings must be in the LG for the soundsend to decode the singal perfectly?

At the moment Axiim Link does support down mixing to 4.0 so maybe that's the better option until they have a clear list of supported up and down mixing.

Thanks for any insight or advice for settings

Axelb
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Axelb replied on Wed, Jan 19 2022 4:50 PM

A similarly disappointing experience for me, this device is incredibly glitchy. I have BL20s, a core and a non-B&O TV. The soundsend is attached via optical to the core and via HDMI to the E-ARC. The soundsend unit is 1m from one BL20 and 3m from the other. 

1. It doesn't auto-toggle between inputs - In order to switch between music and TV, you have to go into the soundsend app, wait for your phone to reconnect to the soundsend unit, then select which input you want it to transmit. 

2. Loss of fidelity/dropouts - I watched an hour long show streamed over netflix. There were 8 blips in sound continuity, one moment where both BL20s switched off and one moment when one switched off. 

3. General glitches - There are sometimes enormous (10s+) lags between starting the TV and the speakers activating and no rhyme or reason why. Sometimes the only way to resolve it is to go into the soundsend app to find it hasn't switched on and you have to reboot it. 

I have disconnected the core from the soundsend but it still won't automatically transmit to the BL20s

Avoid this product, i'll be getting a BT1 or hardwiring instead.

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Mon, Feb 21 2022 1:51 AM

I got a soundsend a week ago, and use it with my 7.1 B&O system, incl 5 legacy speakers via receiver 1.

My experience from using a Klipsch Hub for 5 years, say that the software run on the hub AND the speakers/receiver 1’s is critical.

Hence to have a meaningful discussion on connectivity issues, every poster could state software versions used.

With Soundsend software 1.39, and B&O speaker software 1.06 i have zero dropouts to date and the sound is clear and immersive when set-up correct for each source. My B&O software version is probably not the latest, but I have no way of updating it short of dragging the entire system to my local dealer (Again!)

Do anybody know the latest B&O WiSA software version?

Another issue is lack of “wisa soundsend” app in my local Asian Apple (IOS) App store. I was lost, until we got an old android phone to run soundsend app.

I have 2 sources via HDMI ARC: Streaming movies in LG Smart TV App and Roon from a NUC computer (via HDMI cable to TV). I was concerned about using the TV as pre-amp/channel switcher, but the SQ does not seem to suffer compared with my old hub which had multiple inputs.

With this set-up, it is however very cumbersome to switch source, as Soundsend settings need to be switched as well (Music from the NUC sound like mono in “movie setting”). Does anybody have a suggestion on how to do this smoothly?

does anybody know a programmable IOS remote app, which can control Soundsend, LG TV and my NUC? I am not keen on another universal remote, after logitech stopped supporting my 2 year old elite remote.

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Mon, Feb 21 2022 1:52 AM

I got a soundsend a week ago, and use it with my 7.1 B&O system, incl 5 legacy speakers via receiver 1.

My experience from using a Klipsch Hub for 5 years, say that the software run on the hub AND the speakers/receiver 1’s is critical.

Hence to have a meaningful discussion on connectivity issues, every poster could state software versions used.

With Soundsend software 1.39, and B&O speaker software 1.06 i have zero dropouts to date and the sound is clear and immersive when set-up correct for each source. My B&O software version is probably not the latest, but I have no way of updating it short of dragging the entire system to my local dealer (Again!)

Do anybody know the latest B&O WiSA software version?

Another issue is lack of “wisa soundsend” app in my local Asian Apple (IOS) App store. I was lost, until we got an old android phone to run soundsend app.

I have 2 sources via HDMI ARC: Streaming movies in LG Smart TV App and Roon from a NUC computer (via HDMI cable to TV). I was concerned about using the TV as pre-amp/channel switcher, but the SQ does not seem to suffer compared with my old hub which had multiple inputs.

With this set-up, it is however very cumbersome to switch source, as Soundsend settings need to be switched as well (Music from the NUC sound like mono in “movie setting”). Does anybody have a suggestion on how to do this smoothly?

does anybody know a programmable IOS remote app, which can control Soundsend, LG TV and my NUC? I am not keen on another universal remote, after logitech stopped supporting my 2 year old elite remote.

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Mon, Feb 21 2022 2:03 AM

Support in now available from support@wisaassociation.org and Eric is helpful

rawxoox
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
rawxoox replied on Wed, Feb 23 2022 4:07 PM

I'm using the Wisa Soundsend with a pair of Beolab 28. When using the Music-, Movie- or Night-mode, the sound is amplified so much, that it's causing sound compression. A good example is "Bass, I love you" on Youtube. Thus I have to keep it on direct-mode. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

rawxoox
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
rawxoox replied on Wed, Feb 23 2022 4:07 PM

I'm using the Wisa Soundsend with a pair of Beolab 28. When using the Music-, Movie- or Night-mode, the sound is amplified so much, that it's causing sound compression. A good example is "Bass, I love you" on Youtube. Thus I have to keep it on direct-mode. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

Syrianos
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Syrianos replied on Wed, Feb 23 2022 4:30 PM

Same experience with my beolab 28 front and bL 17 in surround. It sounded so dampened and deformed I went back to the usb axiim link. Perfect Down sampling  and no annoying switching profiles. I ordered an additional BL 19 for the setup and this will make it a 4.1 setup that SoundSend supports. Maybe I’ll give it another try but after testing the simple dongle, SoundSend and axiim my preferred setup is axiim all the way

Page 1 of 1 (35 items) | RSS