Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 28

rated by 0 users
This post has 507 Replies | 8 Followers

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Curly:

A handful of folks saying the bass on BL28 is out of control...

Nothing some EQ can’t fix, I imagine. 

... running the Room Compensation measurement would be a good start. :-)

-geoff

MarcosAlvarenga
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

Two considerations:

1. It seems that the acoustic lenses tweeters, a very distinctive feature, is officially abandonned. Cost reasons? (I doubt it). I’m sad about that, because it was a very distinctive and beautiful feature of B&O. 

2. Ok, it makes lots of references to older B&O products and its design philosophy. But is it really beautiful? Does it look attractive for everyone or only for those like us, enthusiasts and conaisseurs of the brand? I can’t answer that yet. 

MarcosAlvarenga
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

In other words, is it a Jaguar E-Type or just a VW New Beetle?Erm..

Sibbi
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Tue, May 4 2021 12:45 PM

Had a quick listen to them yesterday. My thoughts: They look good, maybe not great. Sound for me was a mixed bag. I liked how big they sound and how wide the soundstage is. Also the midrange is very nice. As other have mentioned the base is a bit to much and as a result the overall feeling was that it sounded a bit like Beat headphones. Better but that sound signature. It was only a short listen and I will go back and listen again. Maybe they have to set them up better.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, May 4 2021 1:11 PM
MarcosAlvarenga:
In other words, is it a Jaguar E-Type or just a VW New Beetle?

But is it really beautiful?

I agree with your 2 posts. My first impression (based on picture only) is they look like « new » BL6000, so not a great wow.

Will they fit my needs and satisfy me on the long run? Probably Smile

And FWIW, I prefer (by far) the new Beetle to the original…
Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
B&O has always had a mix of speakers with and without lenses, i don’t see how this one not having it makes you say they abandonned it. Bl17, 90’s don’t have them either when 18’s 20’s 50’s do. Same in ranges previous.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

MarcosAlvarenga
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:
B&O has always had a mix of speakers with and without lenses, i don’t see how this one not having it makes you say they abandonned it. Bl17, 90’s don’t have them either when 18’s 20’s 50’s do. Same in ranges previous.

You are right, for some reason I thought 50 did not have lenses. 

But are they necessary for a perfect sound or not? Otherwise 90 would have it? Just a question. 

MarcosAlvarenga
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:

You are right, for some reason I thought 50 did not have lenses. 

But are they necessary for a perfect sound or not? Otherwise 90 would have it? Just a question. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Why stick to the traditional lens technology, if you can come up with something better!

The original lenses (used on BL7-4, BL9, BL5, BL18 on so on) was meant to provide a constant wide mode, allowing for a more consistent sound, a wider directivity of the higher frequenzies, when more people listen (or you yourselt move around).

The BL90’es with the multiple drivers placed around the speaker, has a completely different design allowing for wide mode, narrow mode, omni mode and even beamstearing.

The BL50’es have some of this and - for the tweeter - a new approach to the lens technology. Something that B&O has come up with, new method of controlling horizontal directivity: a moveable Acoustic Lens - providing a selectable Beam Width,

I assume the licensing period of the original lens technology of Sausalito Audio Works (the patents/licensing/property) had ended, allowing B&O to develop the lens technology further.

(As of today Sausalito/Manny LaCarrubba is working on the lens technologe/Array Waveguides....which can and will be found in other speakers in the market - look for the Anthony Grimani Systems top-of-the-line Alpha speaker as an example). 

In the BL28’s we see B&O use these technologies - again in a new way. For the design choosen for the 28’s there would be no room for a moveable BL50’s-alike lens and the narrow/wide mode is obtained through DSP solutions.

I guess we will see all or some of these technologies in all future speakers....all dependent on the design choosen. 
The time for the original ALT is over, I guess.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member

Perfect sound where? They're a means to an end. Depending on what they want a speaker to do it can be highly functional. But like with 28/50/90's they have wide and narrow listening modes and I bet that's not really possible with a static ALT lens.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

As far as I remember the ALT technology had another advantage and was introduced at the time that stereo tv's were placed in a surround setup and so both centerspeakers played the same mono audiotrack. Walking from one side to another side of the room resulted in a changing center (dialog) sound. ALT was then the solution that it didn't matter where you would stand in the room to have the same sound from the centerspeaker. A normal single mono speaker (Tweeter) had it's restrictions by its limited way of dispersion.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

I've had the opportunity to listen to the BL28's for about 1 hour in 2 different sequences. Different music.
They can set a big stage and I like them more in the flesh than on pictures can be seen. Smart way how they placed the woofer inside the bottom floorpart. Not just a bricky thing like with the BL8000 or BL18's.

I was able to listen and compare to both a set of BL18's/19 and the BL28. The BL18/19's wins when you're addicted to heavy bass and more high treble.
I personally liked the more balanced sound (mid/high) combination of the BL28. They sound very impressive.
The only thing is, the BL28 delivers a decent low "punch", but can't maintain that when you're in heavy housemusic or so. And that's fine, only just one driver is responsible for the bass. But I couldn't repress the conclusion of my experience I have with my BS1. That also is capable is producing a nice amount of bass, but sometimes it sounds like it drowns and pushes too hard to produce and distorts.

The BL28 is a very nice speaker with a touch of B&O magic when it starts playing. How tempting the BL28's are, it wouldn't be my personal choice when I could afford a set of BL50's..

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Tue, May 4 2021 5:46 PM
Mikipidia:

Bl17, 90’s don’t have them either when 18’s 20’s 50’s do.

I think the BL50 adjustable tweeter lens is a passive and cheaper alternative for the BL90 active tweeter lensing.

To keep the cost of the BL50 within bounds.

Best regards, Flere

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

MarcosAlvarenga
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

So today we have other means to deliver a very good treble that dismisses acoustic lenses. Even so, it was a distinctive visual feature to the brand. 

As long as I know 90s can deliver absolute superb sound in virtually any room conditions, without lenses.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Flere:

I think the BL50 adjustable tweeter lens is a passive and cheaper alternative for the BL90 active tweeter lensing.

To keep the cost of the BL50 within bounds.

Best regards, Flere

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

What?

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, May 4 2021 9:58 PM
As far as I know the beolab 28 has a front facing tweeter that probably is pretty wide anglewise in sound but nowhere near 180 degree as the ALT lenses can produce.

The 28 has two midrange so believe that are directed to the sides and aid in space and a single bass driver downwards.

I can’t see how it can be very good at much more than sounding different in different width modes. The tweeter can’t move or send audio in another direction, neither can the other drivers. But in DSP that can be simulated. Just as stereo drivers can simulate surround in headphones for example. It won’t be real but a trick for your brain.

How well the 28 can do this with it’s limited amount of drivers in different orientations is hard to say without hearing them but I’m sure the genelec ring rig B&O built has been useful for this mind trick.

I think the speakers look a bit like expensive Beolab 6000 but not too bad. Just a bit more round and straight than I’m used to with B&O that usually has more of tilted edges in its designs and or sharper bends.

In any case. It’s an interesting speaker and does many things better than the 20 it replaced except raw power and a discrete design Smile

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Andreas
Not Ranked
Athens, Greece
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Andreas replied on Wed, May 5 2021 8:04 AM

Maybe the first brief review I came across, with some technical details

https://robbreport.com/gear/audio/review-beolab-28-loudspeakers-1234609895/

Beomaster 1700, Beocord 8000, Beolab 4000 MK1, Beolab 3000 (passive flat panel), BeoPlay E8 3rd gen, Beoplay H9 3rd gen, Beoplay P2

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, May 5 2021 3:00 PM

Andreas:

Maybe the first brief review I came across, with some technical details

https://robbreport.com/gear/audio/review-beolab-28-loudspeakers-1234609895/

Very positive review, derived from real listening at a dedicated room at a dealer. Thanks for sharing!

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Andreas
Not Ranked
Athens, Greece
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Andreas replied on Thu, May 6 2021 3:15 PM

I booked a demo at the local dealer. I don't know when it's going to happen but I will share with you all my experience Smile

Beomaster 1700, Beocord 8000, Beolab 4000 MK1, Beolab 3000 (passive flat panel), BeoPlay E8 3rd gen, Beoplay H9 3rd gen, Beoplay P2

I have a question if anyone knows the answer that would be great.

If I hook these 28s up to a Marantz receiver using the pre-outs how does the motorized grills work exactly? Do they close on power down? Do they automatically go to the wide or narrow setting from the last power state? Can I only control this from the B&O app?

I assume they just stay the way the are all the time unless I tell the app to change them which is a disappointment.

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Listened to these today.

WOW! Big Smile

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I agree. I listened to them twice today in Harrods excellent listening room. Both myself and my even more sceptical wife were very impressed by them. Next to them were Beolab 90s, which we listened to straight after the 28s using the same track etc. Honestly and in not so big a room, I’d rather take the 28s over the 90s they were that good.

They were better in the flesh than I thought they’d be, but it’ll still take some time to get used to that club foot!

Some new Eclipse and 18 colours I’d not seen before

I’d not always enjoyed Harrods in the past, but today they were excellent.Yes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Bronze Member

I can't be sure but,

I currently use a Marantz pre outs connecting to Beolab 18/19 and ceiling mounted 15's via Transmitter 1.

If I send anything over the Marantz, stream, tv, cd etc it automatically activates the speakers. In the case of the 15's that means activating the feature that causes them to electrically drive up the 1/2 of the speaker that transmits the sound.

So, I am almost sure that the 28's "curtain" automatically opens once the speakers are activated, which would happen if you send anything across the Marantz.

Of course, we can't be sure until you physically try it, but I would be quite confident that this is the case.

good luck!

I tinteresting. I also have a pair of 18s and Bella’s 3 hooked up to my marantz. All the speakers shut off after 6 minutes of no signal, so I notice during movies the green light on the 18s come on and off several times an hour. 

If the 28s do the same it will be very distracting so I kinda hope that there is some other answer  

--

Wow, sorry about that. This forum does not work well on iPads that's for sure.

--

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, May 8 2021 8:14 AM
Hi Skywalker

You better use your other hand…Whistle
Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Sun, Jun 13 2021 5:35 PM

So, has anyone taken delivery of their BL28?

Or does anyone else have additional listening experiences they’d like to share with us? :)

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Lol. They really gotta fix these forums. Works terribly in general and even worse on iPads.

--

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Mon, Jun 14 2021 6:59 AM
Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

Lol. They really gotta fix these forums. Works terribly in general and even worse on iPads.

--

That’s why I always use the Beoworld app when posting on my iPhone. For reading I use the website and Safari.
Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Thu, Jun 17 2021 2:06 AM

So, has anyone taken delivery of their BL28?

Or does anyone else have additional listening experiences they’d like to share with us? :)

Did anyone purchase the limited edition launch special in black? 

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

BeoJosh
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 89
Bronze Member
BeoJosh replied on Thu, Jun 17 2021 4:01 AM

My anthracite 28s are in hand with my dealer and will be installed next month. I’m hoping early July, but it may be late July depending on when my 50s arrive. I will post pics and my thoughts when they’re set up. I had the opportunity to purchase the limited edition but ultimately preferred the anthracite for our decor. 

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Level x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3, Beosound 9000, Beogram TX2, Beogram 6500 White Edition, 4000c (on order), Beoremote One x8, Beoremote Halo x3, BLC NL/ML
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay EQ x2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

I was super into this speaker... until someone said it looked like a dog bowl. Now I can't unsee it. :(

--

oli
Top 500 Contributor
Southeast of France
Posts 141
Bronze Member
oli replied on Fri, Jun 18 2021 6:06 PM

I was a bit mitigate about the design in a first instance, but it grown on me since. I am moving next month from a big house to a smaller flat and I have to forget about my Beolab 5 unfortunately, that are going to a new home next tuesday and ordered these Beolab 28 without having seen them in the flesh, or listen to them. Will tell you what I am thinking about them in a few weeks :-)

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Jun 18 2021 6:38 PM

I was super into this speaker... until someone said it looked like a dog bowl. Now I can't unsee it. :(

--

wall mount the BL28.

Then they give a different experience. I installed a pair a week ago. They sound impressive and the looks are better then imagined.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Must be amazing for all dogs owners - another reason to buy them.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Jun 19 2021 7:00 AM

You need a BeoDog !
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Jun 19 2021 7:02 AM

Chris Townsend:

Some new Eclipse and 18 colours I’d not seen before

I’d not always enjoyed Harrods in the past, but today they were excellent.Yes - thumbs up

Harrods seem to have the occasional colour exclusive. They once had an exclusive A9 colour combo which looked fantastic - different legs and cover.

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Mon, Jun 21 2021 5:14 PM

A BeoLab 28/Mozart platform question:

Is Deezer still natively integrated into the B&O app and available on BeoLab28 when on their own (i.e., not connected to a BeoVision)?

Thanks!

Allianz
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Allianz replied on Tue, Jun 22 2021 10:11 AM

When I first saw leaked photos and specs from Beolab 28 I was almost laughing that these can not be upgrade for Beolab 20's. I had 20's over 3 years and recently upgraded 50's when tired to wait 28's. And really happy to go for 50's those are totally different beast's. After getting used to listen 50's my other setup 18's (backed up with 2x svs pb16ultra) started sound really weak and 28's started to feel good upgrade option there.

I have listened few times 20's vs 28's in a shop and 28's totally destroy 20's. Even on that bass region what I though was impossible at least on louder listening levels. 20's had a LOT of bass in my house but in shop sounded weak when compared to 28's. I can only wait and see how 28's will perform in my house. 20's maybe have a littlebit lower extension but it is quite rounded and definitely a lot less punch vs 28's. Sound from 28's is much a like 50's.

Ordered my 28's long time ago but natural aluminium/smoked oak delivery time seems to be longer.

Here are 2 videos Paula Cole -  Tiger played with 20's and 28's. Shot with iphone 12pro. Beginning in the video same volume level but then I tried to crank up 20's to have more effect. These videos are not the absolute truth but maybe can give you a little hint how different those speakers are. Always go listen to yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b4m25bijtwdcblz/AAAXeiSCWW7c1_nzh12foCDqa?dl=0

Beolab 50, Beolab 28, Beolab 19, Beolab 17, Beolab 12-2, Beolab 12-1, Beolab 11, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 3, Beolab 2, Beovox 2-2, Beocenter 2

Beosound 9000, Beosound 4, Beosound 35, Beosound 2, Beosound 1, Beosound Stage, Beosound Level, Beosound Core, Beosound Essence mk2

Beoplay A9 mk3, Beoplay S8, Beoplay A1, Beoplay P2, Beoplay H95, Beoplay H9i, Beoplay H4 

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Jun 22 2021 1:18 PM

Great comments on your feelings of BL20 vs BL28. When I saw the 6.5” woofer on BL28, I thought there was no way it could compete similarly with the BL20 10”. But people claim it indeed does! Super.

Page 9 of 13 (508 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS