Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4004 Carrier Issues - New belt required?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Parliament
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
Parliament Posted: Thu, Feb 27 2014 4:32 PM

Yes, I have become another Beogram freak, but not a lucky one since most of my new stuff always comes with hidden issues!!

I have written also to a forum member about this, but was hoping everyone could chime in and describe their thoughs on this.

I have 3 problems that could be belt related. I have made a couple of videos to illustrate these problems very well. 

The first one shows the carrier problem: noisy, and VERY slow during fastforwards/fastrewind. I have no clue what's going on. Thought it could be the carrier belt but it does seem to move at the correct speed when "Play" or "Stop" are activated, right? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuPKHen9wvE

The second one show the next problem, which is probably derivated from the first. See what happens to the tonearm when it starts playing. It skews in the direction of the record and looses all parallelism with the sensor arm. Obviously the carrier can not keep up with the tonearm! It does move, but VERY slowly, much slower that the record demands, hence the tilted tonearm. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOlgLJEhuss

And last but not least, I have illustrated with a very brief video the drive belt bearing, which makes more noise than it should (I believe). 

In the videos you will see the carrier screw that moves the tonearm, it is full of old grease! I cleaned that and lubed it with sewing machine oil. No improvement. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnUuAU6nO6g&feature=youtu.be

What could be happening? 

Thank you, guys

Parliament
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member

I have looked at the servo very closely and it DOES indeed seem to turn more than the belt does! So i imagine there is a lack of movement, because the bearing does skid under the belt a little bit. Maybe that could fix both the ff/rewind problems as well as the skewed tonearm?

Been doing some reading about the belts for this servo, but I haven't seen many agreements about where to get them other than Martin Olsen (Dillen)? I have PM him.

What do you guys think? 

Cheers

Andrew
Top 500 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 151
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Feb 28 2014 11:00 PM

Item 1, if the belt isn't slipping check the slow side transport adjustment which adjusts the speed for manual tracking of the record.

item 2, I suspect the lamp in the arm sensor is gone which is why the carriage is not moving, the arm sensor lamp is under the arm at the back of the unit.

drew

Parliament
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member

Dillen gave me this suggestion:

"Adjust the opto interrupter diaphragm for the tracking control, it sits at the foot of the carriage. Service manual page 3-5."

This totally solved it! 

Thanks guys!!

Which is the transport adjustment switch? 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS