Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 2000 Reel to Reel, Mexico

rated by 0 users
This post has 126 Replies | 7 Followers

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 7:39 AM

Hi Søren,

So did you finally manage to cure this Beocord completely?

I don't know what I will find in my Beocord 2400, possibly the same kinds of issues, but a conclusion would be nice, even though you hate me!

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

There is still work to be done there, the biggest problem will be the sliding potentiometers, I tried to clean mine without desoldering, but they still give some problems, My poties are assembled with rivets, so if I take them apart I will have to find a way to assemble them with small screws. Where you will have to work with out most care is with the brake clutch systems for the reels, it important to use the right greases and oils, and in the right amounts, The rest is straight forward, cleaning all connections, check caps and lamps, and clean and lub the mechanics, adjust the sames according to manual. The toneheads on mine were very dirty, I had to clean them various times before they were fit to use, I tried recording and then listened to the recording, compared to what I heard from the BG connected to the Beocord, and in the end it came out nearly OK, but still not what it should be, so I will have to go after the poties again. 

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 4:33 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the manual and it is not here, or anywhere else it seems.

What's more I can't read German.

Jacques

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 4:52 PM

Hey Jacques,

If you find the manual in German, that’s OK as Søren is highly fluent in German…. and English, and Spanish… etc. Søren, the linguistic maven!

Hi Søren,

I see that you are still bearvering away on your impressive BC. I was looking forward to “discussing” our two rebuilt reel-to-reels, but my Tandberg got bogged down with health issues at the repair shop….. so I assumed that your BC would have gathered dust before I ever got mine home.

All my capacitors were special order as I made a big fuss about not using Chinese caps under ANY circumstance. The replacement caps should be in next week, sooooooooooo.

Keep up the good work! We’ll have that comparative talk yet!

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 5:23 PM

Piaf:

We’ll have that comparative talk yet!

Which I thoroughly enjoy every time! Smile

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

Unfortunately I don't have the manual and it is not here, or anywhere else it seems.

What's more I can't read German.

Try Martin, there must be something in English, I dont know if the 2400 is similar to the 2000.

What I can do is scan the drawings, but they are on the forum anyway.

But maybe the Google translator can be used, it turns out a lot of failures but some of it comes out right.

If you need translating for some sections I am willing to help, but I am not going to translate the whole manual, oh no oh no.

But for me it was easy work until now, mostly mechanic failures and adjustments, the adjustment of the brake of the forward reel drive, when using fast reverse, was a PIB. The electronics I think is mostly cleaning and poties, I only found 2-3 bad caps.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 8:34 PM

Thanks Søren.

What I need is the mechanical adjustment procedures, with exploded views.

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I will get on it in the weekend

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Jacques, I found the schematics here, if you cant download them, send me your mail address and I mail them to you

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 10:24 PM

Thanks Søren. I had come across that, I have an account on this website. But no mechanics eh.

Jacques

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Founder
hemenex replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 1:49 PM

chartz:

Jacques,

something like this?

Forum doesn't let me upload TIFs and the converted JPG has over 1MB so as an example here Page 59 that I just test-scanned in ZIP-format:

BC2400_S59.zip

Only problem is that the manual has 111 Pages and my spare time is limited Sad

But if you can point me to your mechanical requests I will try to search single pages...

Probably per PM because my scanner prefers TIF...

And if Sören listenes - I have a Beocord 2000 Types 4119-4221 SM as well Wink

But perhaps Martin has those as PDF already...

Best,

Gunther

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 2:20 PM

Soren,

Quick question, I have recently bought a lovely Beocord 1100 reel to reel. Having opened it up and cleaned it, like you have Iots of old foam around the central spindle. When you removed the foam did you replace it with anything?

Thanks

Ben

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Hi Günther

I have the BC 2000 manual, but only in German, (the one that is on the forum now), But if you could help Jacques with the most important adjustment pages in English it would be great, I wanted to translate some pages this weekend, but ran in to a emergency repair on a bigger than any B&O machine Smile. Or even better, send the manual to Jacques, he will scan it to PDF, and send it back to you, and with your permission post it on the forum. If one dont have the manual its nearly impossible to make the mech. adjustments

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Ben:

Soren,

Quick question, I have recently bought a lovely Beocord 1100 reel to reel. Having opened it up and cleaned it, like you have Iots of old foam around the central spindle. When you removed the foam did you replace it with anything?

Thanks

Ben

The foam is an airfilter, to avoid dust entering, just replace with a piece of light foam, or as I, with a piece of 3M white cleaning pad, there are some foam gaskets elsewhere (strips) I used foam door frame strips there.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 4:35 PM

hemenex:

chartz:

Jacques,

something like this?

Forum doesn't let me upload TIFs and the converted JPG has over 1MB so as an example here Page 59 that I just test-scanned in ZIP-format:

BC2400_S59.zip

Only problem is that the manual has 111 Pages and my spare time is limited Sad

But if you can point me to your mechanical requests I will try to search single pages...

Probably per PM because my scanner prefers TIF...

And if Sören listenes - I have a Beocord 2000 Types 4119-4221 SM as well Wink

But perhaps Martin has those as PDF already...

Best,

Gunther

The manual is now online right here!

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

How did that happen, was it Günther ?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 6:09 AM

Søren Mexico:

chartz:

Nope, me! In truth the PDF was sent to me and I asked Peter to upload it. It is a bit heavy though!

Jacques

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 6:32 AM

Team work at it's best!

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 11:49 AM

Many thanks Soren!

will try that later on tonight

ben

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

Søren Mexico:

chartz:

Nope, me! In truth the PDF was sent to me and I asked Peter to upload it. It is a bit heavy though!

Yes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs up yes big files, but a big help for many members, and nice to se that Günther is still activeSmile

bm_bv_bc_bg
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

Or even better, send the manual to Jacques, he will scan it to PDF, and send it back to you, and with your permission post it on the forum. If one dont have the manual its nearly impossible to make the mech. adjustments

Just to be mentioned:Last week Jacques contacted me because I had this manual on the ebay few months ago and I still have it but it is not for sale anymore. After I realized that scanning  this document with 100+ pages would be not so easy, (not only because of lot of pages but first of all because of big and very detailed A3 schematics) I offered Jacques this solution, to send him an original manual. He could have scaned it and send it back to me when he is finished with his project. He didn't accept my offer (because of 6€ shipping costs?).

But anyhow, I am really happy to see that the service manual for BC1800/2400 was found and is available for other members to.

Kind regards

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 7:04 PM

No no, 6€ is nothing, I was about to send you the money when I came across an already scanned manual! So I asked Peter to upload it on Beoworld, which he did, thanks Peter! Sorry that I forgot to tell you!

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Oct 22 2014 2:43 PM

Søren,

Hi. Do you have the exact reference of the Molykote G? I can't find any suppliers. Sad In France or abroad.

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Here is the one I found, but could not find it here in Mexico, but found a Mexican made from a company called Akron.

I will still have to find out how much to add,  stopping from fast reverse, makes the tape unwind a bit, 20-30 cm, but there is missing an adjustment screw in the brake/clutch assembly.

I have the 2000 on standby at the moment, still thinking about what and how much to do with it, biggest problem is the slide poties, and I am a little concerned about taking them apart, and the recording and play functions are working good. There is some distortion, when comparing original LP, played through the BC amp, to the recording. The tape I am using came with the BC, and I dont know how good it is. So until I have a new tape, I wont do anything.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Oct 22 2014 3:50 PM

Hey Jacques, you need a new search engine!  Is this what you're looking for?  From the great engineering heartland of the UK:

http://www.silmid.com/products/molykote-g-rapid-plus-50gm-tube.aspx?currency=EUR

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Oct 22 2014 4:14 PM

I was looking for the G, not the G+. 

So this will do, are you sure?

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

I was looking for the G, not the G+. 

So this will do, are you sure?

I cant be sure, we are talking about grease made 50 years ago, today the oils and greases production is totally different. I use it and it seams to work.

The difference between G and G+ is probably that one has more lithium than the other, or the one is more water resistant than the other.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Oct 22 2014 4:33 PM

Okay then, thanks Dave and Søren Smile

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Oct 22 2014 4:39 PM

Dow Corning are the manufacturer and there are numerous Molykote G greases.  All have different purposes.  The G+ Soren uses seems to do the job for him.  I'm don't know where you want to use it?

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/?Ntt=molykote%2bG&N=0&Ntx=mode+MatchAllPartial&WT.svl=4&Nty=1&Ntk=ProductFinder_en

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Oct 22 2014 4:55 PM

The service manual states Molykote G to apply on the reel clutch felts.

Jacques

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:22 AM

Hi Søren,

We started with our reel-to-reel project about the same time, but you beat me by a country mile. At seven months and two weeks, it was hardly a contest.

None the less I promised you an update.  

So what’s the verdict? Hummmmmm. That’s hard to say succinctly.

My tech is a perfectionist and not to be hurried. (Which is OK with me.)

First my tech started cleaning, improving on my earlier attempts. Found a great deal of debris on the heads which still has me scratching my head. Also made major improvements on my lubrication efforts. Sigh.

Something like 25 solder points were cracked or broken, now repaired, and no less than 30 capacitors replaced. (Most tested within specs.)

The most obvious difference is in the mechanical functions as they are now blindingly fast and silent. (I made them better and my tech improved on my efforts.)

The left channel is still at a lower volume as compared to the right channel, but the sound is not distorted. If anything it is overly crisp in the upper range.

Still, it would be totally unfair not to say that the overall sound is much improved, as it is.

The counter is still broken, one VU meter needle is catching on something, and I have a bad IC in the record section. (Hopefully I have found one is San Diego.)

The repair cost was $500 which did not remotely cover the huge amount of time involved. The shop charged me $250 until the IC is installed and then the remainder will be collected.

I assume the repair of your Beocrod was more satisfying than my “experience,” but I am delighted to have my Tandberg 9000X back home. It has been a long relationship as I purchased this tape recorder when I was 20 years old.

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Very nice to have something from the youth that still works, I bought the Beocord 2000 because it reminded me of long forgotten times, I also bought the BM and BG 1000 for the same reason. Yesterday and today I was cleaning records, and found a pair I bought early 70is. The only working item I have from so far back is a Philips electric razor (it works because I never used it much).

As for the Beocord 2000, it is not finished, there are still works to be done there, mainly some caps and polishing of toneheads, there is some distortion on recorded tracks, What I did was a good cleaning and mechanical adjustments, it works but not perfectly, I will go back to it when time allows.

My record cleaning is a joy, that yellow spin cleaner really get the dirt out, and the records sound terrific nearly without any tics and tacs, comes to it that all my records gets an antistatic inner sleeve, some of my older records was sounding so bad that I never played them anymore, now they are not as new but playable.

Really hope you get your Tandberg will bring you joy for many years to come.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Thu, Jan 22 2015 7:01 AM

Hi Søren,

You may need to remind me yet again about your yellow spin cleaner.

One of my favorite records developed a slick spot area that I have been unable to address.

First I thought it was my damned MC 120.2 speakers ripping themselves apart, but not so. Then I figured my badly reworked BM4400 was giving its untimely notice, again misdiagnosis.

The last item on my possible list was my own creation, the Frankenstein collection of unrelated parts Beogram 8000, but that seemed an unlikely candidate for all the audio troubles.

A change of records solved the problem, but not for the record.

Back to my Tandberg, this deck is like a personal friend as I have had it since 1971. That is a long time in any one’s history and it sounds good, and performs even better!

I just need to address a few of the remaining hiccups and I will have a real winner on my hands.

Best wishes with your Beocord 2000!

Jeff

P.S. When you receive your PINK Bette Midler records from Amazon.con, I am dying to hear YOUR review! Lets have a Party !!!

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, May 7 2015 3:56 PM

Waiting for the continuation... Shall we stay tuned? Whistle

I'm not going anywhere my friend. Yes - thumbs up

That Beomaster 1900 of yours can wait! Laughing

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The 1900 cant wait it has to get off my bench before the BC can get on. but I am working like a slave here, the FS wants to go shopping with me, I told her I dont need anything and if I need anything she can buy it, there is a wedding coming up and I am sure she wants to show me some expensive frock or such. Because of work I will not have time for the BG before next week. And then I will have to order and wait for caps.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Thu, May 7 2015 4:55 PM

OK Søren,

I gotta ask….. yes, yes I know, you are busy, you have a ton of work to do, and your FS wants an expensive new dress.

But did you ever get the Bette Midler record, and if so, what did you think?

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, May 7 2015 5:20 PM

Søren Mexico:

There is a wedding coming up and I am sure she wants to show me some expensive frock or such.

Oh no! Surprise My worst nightmare actually. An even worse nightmare: she wants to buy me new clothes! Big Smile

Jacques

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Thu, May 7 2015 5:23 PM

chartz:
Oh no! Surprise My worst nightmare actually. An even worse nightmare: she wants to buy me new clothes! Big Smile

Jacques,

Clearly you have never met my brother-in-law. Lets have a Party !!!

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Piaf:
But did you ever get the Bette Midler record, and if so, what did you think?

One of the best records recorded digital, and then transferred masterly to analog media, IMO better than the CD which I also have.

Going through my newer records, I stop by John Coltrane´s "Blue Train" to get the same quality. I have The Eagles Hotel California, but you cant compare the two, Hotel California was recorded originally analog and mine is not the original but a later remastered.

I compare these records on BG 5000 pizzabox with MMC2 from Axel, BM 4400 and Beovox M70s

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

Søren Mexico:

There is a wedding coming up and I am sure she wants to show me some expensive frock or such.

I dont understand women, I have 1 smoking I bought tailored about 15 years ago, I have used it about 5 times, it is perfectly like new (I never slept in it), I have some 10 suits all of them no more than 10 years old, some of them only used 2-3 times, why do I need more. I have for not so formal fiestas, a classic 2 bottom blue blazer (I buy a new blazer same type every 5 year or so) and some 5 pair of different shades of gray pants. As I see it my wardrobe should outlast me, my FS has another opinion. Daily I use jeans and a short arm shirt, if cold a leather jacket (I have 3 all in good condition)  for work work wear.

Page 2 of 4 (127 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS