Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

multiroom with ML/NL converter

rated by 0 users
This post has 138 Replies | 7 Followers

f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member
f5434964 Posted: Sat, Sep 26 2015 5:44 PM

Dears friends of Beoworld!
B&O says on its homepage that old products will be added to the new multiroom experience using the Beolink Converter. I think they mean the ML/NL converter - do they?

If yes: at my place it is not working - how about your experience?

My setup: BV Avant 75, ML/NL Converter; BS 9000, BS5/BM5 (same room); BS3200 (kitchen); planned: BL3500 (bath)

The app (Beomusic) does not find anything (Beoremote is working perfectly in every room);
And I am not able to listen to TV (sound) on BS3200 (kitchen) 

Is there a netlink audiomaster missing?
My dealer said that a software update for the converter is awaited - true? Might this solve my problems?

Best regards

Elmar

mr_anders_son
Top 75 Contributor
sweden
Posts 1,710
Founder
I think you must have BS Moment or Essence

BeoVision Haermony 65"...BeoLab 28 Anthracite....BeoLab 17 as REAR....BV10-32....BC6-26....Beosound 9000....Beosound 1 New York edt....Beogram 4002....Beoplay Emerge....Beoplay M5....Beoplay M3....Beoremote Halo....BeoRemote One BT....Beo6....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....H95 Black LTD....H9i Rimowa....6 x H6....Form 1....U70...

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sat, Sep 26 2015 9:25 PM
No

You can only control one product of the ML per converter.

They'll all carry the sound but the bro music app won't work unless it's connected only to one product.

I E use v aux2 on nl/ml to pull up deezer from the avant should be no problem on the ML SIDE

But, YOU WONT be able to see all the ML products on the beomusic app. Just not designed that way.

I opine that the beomusic app talks to ip addresses and ML doesn't have those.

The converter does and it distributes to everything on the ML but nothin singularly.

Only as a group.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Sep 27 2015 4:40 AM
mjmedlo:

No

They'll all carry the sound but the bro music app won't work unless it's connected only to one product.

I E use v aux2 on nl/ml to pull up deezer from the avant should be no problem on the ML SIDE

But, YOU WONT be able to see all the ML products on the beomusic app. Just not designed that way.

The converter does and it distributes to everything on the ML but nothin singularly.

Only as a group.

He (mjmedlo) is correct.

A single convert simply broadcasts the audio along the ML network just like ML always worked.

You should be able to broadcast the Avant's audio to the ML devices.

If you wanted to manage the ML devices independently you would need a NL/ML converter for each ML end point device (including BeoLab 3500 or 2000 link room speakers).

You would also the NL cabling (dedicated cat6 or above) between each of the converters and also the Avant.

If you did go to that extreme, I believe you would also need the little ML plug that hangs off the nearest converter to give a link room speaker (your bathroom) an audio master "carrier signal".

As for converter software levels, the following screen shot gives the most recent saw level. If you are down level you should be able to download and upgrade the software yourself without using the dealer. Obviously take screen shots of all the configuration screens just so you can have a backup.

My HW version ...

My SW version ...

BeoNut since '75

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 277
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Sun, Sep 27 2015 8:57 AM

elephant:
mjmedlo:

No

Only as a group.

He (mjmedlo) is correct.

A single convert simply broadcasts the audio along the ML network just like ML always worked.

You should be able to broadcast the Avant's audio to the ML devices.

If you wanted to manage the ML devices independently you would need a NL/ML converter for each ML end point device (including BeoLab 3500 or 2000 link room speakers).

You would also the NL cabling (dedicated cat6 or above) between each of the converters and also the Avant.

If you did go to that extreme, I believe you would also need the little ML plug that hangs off the nearest converter to give a link room speaker (your bathroom) an audio master "carrier signal".

As for converter software levels, the following screen shot gives the most recent saw level. If you are down level you should be able to download and upgrade the software yourself without using the dealer. Obviously take screen shots of all the configuration screens just so you can have a backup.

My HW version ...

My SW version ...

Hi.

I looked at your SW build and if i understands my dealer correct it should have been released a new software on the BLC at the same time as the Moment and the NL Tv's got it.. Has your BLC get an update lately?

My SW shows the same as yours, and i can't get it to update so the technician is coming to me later this week..

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Sep 28 2015 12:56 PM
Normann:

Hi.

I looked at your SW build and if i understands my dealer correct it should have been released a new software on the BLC at the same time as the Moment and the NL Tv's got it.. Has your BLC get an update lately?

My SW shows the same as yours, and i can't get it to update so the technician is coming to me later this week..

I received my BLC about 5 weeks ago.

I think that it's s/w is the version that it had out of the box.

It would appear from the check below that I have the most current version:

BeoNut since '75

Kulles
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Kulles replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 9:40 AM

1.4.1.19522 is the latest available version. It was released last week.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 11:55 AM
Kulles:

1.4.1.19522 is the latest available version. It was released last week.

Thanks !

The wonders of auto-update.

That would have happened while we were in NZ.

Now I am wondering if some "issues" I had last weekend were related to the update !!!

Do you know what was changed with this update ?

BeoNut since '75

f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member

Hello

I also got the latest sw version; nothing changed; 

still not able to send TV sound through my ML system

BeoMusic still does not recognize anything - ok, thats not the biggest problem - but on the homepage of B&O it tells the story the other way round...

best regards

Elmar

petrosbeli
Not Ranked
Posts 64
Bronze Member

The BeoMusic App requires at least one of the newest products (e.g BeoSound Essence, BeoSound Moment, BeoPlay A9 2nd gen., BeoPlay A6) in your home network, before it can work with the older products.

f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member

petrosbeli:

The BeoMusic App requires at least one of the newest products (e.g BeoSound Essence, BeoSound Moment, BeoPlay A9 2nd gen., BeoPlay A6) in your home network, before it can work with the older products.

Thanks for your quick answer - now its Obvious why there is no connection - thought the bcl could handle this;

now I Need to concentrate how to get tv Sound spreed over ml - any advise?

best Regards Elmar 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Oct 5 2015 10:19 AM

f5434964:

Thanks for your quick answer - now its Obvious why there is no connection - thought the bcl could handle this;

now I Need to concentrate how to get tv Sound spreed over ml - any advise?

best Regards Elmar 

In my world the BLC should be able to distribute the sound from your BV Avant out on the ML system, if you have the latest software on the BLC.

Furthermore, the BLC need to be configured so that TV is a source on the ML side.

Look at the tab "sources visible on ML" under tab "Configuration" in BLC. 

The ML Source column should show "TV". To the right you should have the Avant name, and in the "NL Source " column, you should have TV Tuner.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member

Yes, that what my dealer also tells me:

I got TV as a source and the latest software - any ideas?

(sorry picture upload did not work)

f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member
f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member

last pic

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 7:31 AM

This is what I have done. N-Radio using for TV on the ML.

Go to the tab 'Sources visible on ML' and add your Avant to N-Radio, next choose the source on the Avant. For you it will be TV Tuner and save.

Add N-Radio to your remote and try on your ML. It takes some time before the TV gets on and pushes the sound to the ML

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member

Chris:

This is what I have done. N-Radio using for TV on the ML.

Go to the tab 'Sources visible on ML' and add your Avant to N-Radio, next choose the source on the Avant. For you it will be TV Tuner and save.

Add N-Radio to your remote and try on your ML. It takes some time before the TV gets on and pushes the sound to the ML

Thanks for you suggestion but I need n.radio as I have a BS5/BM5 installed...

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member

f5434964:
Thanks for you suggestion but I need n.radio as I have a BS5/BM5 installed...

Oh.. That changes a lot...

And if you enter in the Tab > Settings: ML ROLE to AV MASTER

I you look in the Tab >  ML visible sources: in my case the V1 is added as product from the NL sources, reachable with the TV (ML) button.

This works fine, after testing.

EDIT: It could be you need to restart the BLC, before everything works.

(Give some time to the Avant to startup, it takes time before you hear the sound on your ML)

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member

Hello - thanks for you hint!

In my setup there is an audiometer (BS9000) - would that be a problem?

Thanks best regards Elmar

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Fri, Oct 9 2015 11:31 AM

f5434964:
In my setup there is an audiometer (BS9000) - would that be a problem?

Before the Moment arrives I had a BS3200,  it functioned without a problem.

I removed the BS3200 because all my music is ripped on a server and their is no comparison to the BS3200 analog radio and the Moment's, who brings the world at your feet. It was becoming no more then a piece of art in house. Both CD's and BS3200 are now moved to the attic.

f5434964
Top 500 Contributor
Austria
Posts 206
Bronze Member

I like the BS3200 - but the Moment has its advantages as well...

Back to topic: with the help of kulles i was able to sort out wrong Settings; First: Avant was not set to spread/distribute music over ML;  Second: After changing my Avant due to picture Problems my Dealer did not remove the old Avant from the blc; so the ml Signal Went the wrong way; now After deleting one Avant its Fine as it should be

best regards, Elmar 

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Related question - can I play deezer and dlna from the Beomusic app to my BV7 (via ML/NL converter)?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, May 5 2016 8:06 AM
steve1977:

Related question - can I play deezer and dlna from the Beomusic app to my BV7 (via ML/NL converter)?

No, not without a NL source like the Moment or Essence (or A6) connected.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Thanks! I also do have an A9MK2. In this case, can I play Deezer and DLNA to the BV7 over the ML/NL adapter?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, May 5 2016 12:38 PM
steve1977:

Thanks! I also do have an A9MK2. In this case, can I play Deezer and DLNA to the BV7 over the ML/NL adapter?

Yes! Smile

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

This is brilliant, thanks! So, can I also play to the BV7 / the BL3 (attached to the BV7) if the BV7 is turned off? Basically sensing when there is a signal coming from the ML/NL?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, May 5 2016 7:45 PM
steve1977:

This is brilliant, thanks! So, can I also play to the BV7 / the BL3 (attached to the BV7) if the BV7 is turned off? Basically sensing when there is a signal coming from the ML/NL?

Yes. You configure in the NL/ml converter the commands to be used on the ML side and what source they will trigger on the A9. So you can press eg CD and trigger Deezer from the A9. The A9 will start with the playlist it played last time it was used.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Thanks. The A9 does not need to be connected to the BV7 or the ML/NL though? I have the A9 in one room and the BV7 in anohter room. Sometimes, I don't want the A9 to play, but want to play on my Beolabs (connected to the BV7) triggered by the beomusic app. Is this supported?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, May 5 2016 10:40 PM

As long as the A9 is on the same network as the ML/NL converter (BeoLink Converter / BLC), they are "connected".

As long as you don't have an Audio Master (BS9000, BS3000, BS4) in your ML network, you can configure the BLC to be the Audio Master, and then route IR commands from the BV7 like Radio, CD, etc. to trigger A9 sources... or control it from the BeoMusic app.  That is, the BV7 thinks it is talking to a BS9000 (for example), but, instead, the BLC converts the ML command into a NL command, and then opens an audio channel from the A9 to the ML.

If you have an Audio Master, but not a BS5, you can configure the BLC to be a "Source Center", and you can map N.Music and N.Radio IR commands to A9 audio sources.  

The A9 might always turn on when you're using it as a source (I don't have an A9, and am awaiting a couple cables to get my Essence + BLC fully functional) , but you can just turn the volume down if you don't want those speakers active.

I think you'll also need an iOS device because the Android BeoMusic app is quite limited.  It can't control the BLC... which maybe you don't need if you're only interested in going from NL to ML.

Stan

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, May 6 2016 8:18 AM

Stan:

The A9 might always turn on when you're using it as a source (I don't have an A9, and am awaiting a couple cables to get my Essence + BLC fully functional) , but you can just turn the volume down if you don't want those speakers active.

I´m quite sure the A9 stays silent if you trigger the source from the ML side (ie. from the BV7 in this case).

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Thanks for your quick replies. I do have a BC2 and may buy a BS5 at later point. In this case, would you suggest to set up the ML/NL.

Also, I am still a bit lost how exactly multi-room via the beomusic app works. I can play from any device (Deezer/DLNA from A9, BC2 from BV5, internal CD from BV7) to any speaker (BL connected to BV7, internal speaker in BV5, A9). So, I can play from the BV7 internal CD to the A9 without turning on the BV7 and without using the speakers of the BV7? And also can play deezer to either all speakers or just selected ones that I choose?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, May 6 2016 3:57 PM

If you buy a BS5, then your only option for the BLC is as an "audio slave" which is pretty much like a ML "link" room.  You can send ML audio to NL, but not the other direction because all of the ML "audio source" slots are full.  That is, there's already a CD, TV, DVD, Radio, N.Radio, etc. on the ML so you cannot re-map any of these to NL.  This is my setup (BV8, BS9000, BS5).

Without the BS5 (and your current setup of BV7 and BC2), you can set your BLC to "source center" and map N.Music and N.Radio to NL sources.  For example, you map N.Radio to Deezer.  Hit "N.Radio" on your Beo4 anywhere in you ML network, and Deezer will start playing.  To go in the other direction using the BeoMusic app, you select the ML source you want to hear via the BLC (this is the part that is not available with Android BeoMusic), and then "join" the BLC with the A9.  A9 is now playing the ML source (with a delay).  

NL will always delay ML audio.  You can buy a "delay box" that will delay ML audio to match the NL audio, but this will cause lip sync issues with a ML TV (and I don't think you can really delay the audio within the TV, only audio that travels across the ML since the delay box is wired into the ML).

One exception is Spotify - since Spotify doesn't allow B&O to do multi-room, if you try to "join" your A9 playing Spotify to your BLC (supposing there are speakers connected to the BLC), it will not allow this.  The solution for multi-room Spotify is to connect a ChromeCast audio to an Aux port on a ML device. Since you don't mention Spotify, I'm adding this for others who might read this thread.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Fantastic, thanks for your quick replies. It feels that BLC indeed can do everything I need. Even with both the BV5 and the BV7. At least as long as I don't buy an BS5, which is ok.

I am not interested to stream audio to multi-room when watching a movie. I can live without spotify and spotify connect.

My BC2 is connected to my BV5 (with BLs) and I have a BV7 in a separate room (with bluray). I have an A9MK2. I am planning to buy 2 BLC.

If I read you right, I will need to connect one as audio master and one as source center. In this case, my whole network can access DVDs from either the BC2 or from the BV7 (internal). Also, both the BV5 and BV7 can play Deezer or from DLNA (primary use case). Deezer and DLNA will be in sync. Playing DVDs from BV7 or BC2 would be with a delay.

Is this understanding correct? Thanks again for your help!

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, May 6 2016 4:53 PM

I can't say 100%.  

I don't think you need 2 BLCs.  The only time you need more than one is if you have multiple ML networks or you're using more than one as a "NL Active" i.e. the BLC does have PL sockets so you can configure as an Audio slave - regardless of what's going on in your NL network - and have access to ML, NL and a LINE IN within room.

For sake of discussion, I'm going to assume you have 1 BLC set to "source center".  If you had one set to Audio Master, it would conflict with your BC2 (assuming this is not in a link room operating as a slave) or BV7 (assuming when you press CD on your Beo4, it plays through the BV7 disk player).  This is the part I really don't know  - how does ML currently distinguish between a DVD in the BV7 and a DVD in the BC2?

Keep in mind that the BLC doesn't allow ML itself to do anything new.  That is, it can still only play a single source.  There can only be one Audio and one Video master.  Your ML behaves the same as today, except when your select N.Music, you can listen to DLNA and N.Radio to listen to Deezer.  For playing DVDs within your ML network, nothing changes.  

To listen to DVDs/CDs on your A9, you select "DVD" or "CD" on the BLC via the BeoMusic App, and then "join" the A9 to the BLC.  In this case, the audio to the A9 will be delayed.  

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Fri, May 6 2016 11:01 PM
I have a BLC in A-master mode (with a Moment) and a BC2 that I have disconnected from the ML and that now only is connected via scart to my BV10 that is the V-master. The BC2 DVD works from all TVs in the ML network and all sources from the Moment ad well. I use the BEO4 Radio button for Tuneln and the DVD button for Deezer and all works really good.
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Fri, Jun 10 2016 5:24 AM

I got two BLCs, but now realized they don't come with cables ;-)

So, need your guidance what cable I will need:

1) 1st BLC: connect with BV7

2) 2nd BLC: connect with BV5/BC2

Appreciate your guidance!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Jun 10 2016 12:20 PM
I would answer Masterlink on both questions.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Jun 10 2016 12:58 PM

By the way, what are your NL sources?

You obviously need CAT cables to connect to your router.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:11 PM
thanks. the NL cables is just a regular Ethernet cable? do I connect the BLC to the BV5 or the BC2 box?

my NL sources are a dlna server, deezer and tune-in.
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:19 PM
steve1977:

thanks. the NL cables is just a regular Ethernet cable? do I connect the BLC to the BV5 or the BC2 box?

my NL sources are a dlna server, deezer and tune-in.

If you use both nl converters you'll see the two Masterlink products as options on the beomusic app. The primary reason to have both.

Otherwise.. You can use just one. If you use one you'll need a ML junction box or aome other way to tie the ML together then send it all in to the NL converter.

I like the idea of two separate ones as you can then turn on/off the two ML products with the app independently.

You'll put them in your ML network then cat 6 to the NL switch.

The BeoSetup app will guide the installation and programming.

It is a little confusing so be sure that you keep the sources consistent on both ML products. Otherwise you might had conflicts on the system.

Happy programming.
Page 1 of 4 (139 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS