Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bang & Olufsen CREATE

rated by 0 users
This post has 82 Replies | 11 Followers

tkl
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
tkl replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 6:07 PM

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the info.

Is it also possible to connect to cx50 to one DSP and amp?

E.g. by connecting the second cx50 with a cable to the first.

Even better would if the other speaker is not connected it would play mono and if they are two connected it would play stereo. Is that possible?

Kind regards,

Ton

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 6:20 PM

tkl:

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the info.

Is it also possible to connect to cx50 to one DSP and amp?

E.g. by connecting the second cx50 with a cable to the first.

Even better would if the other speaker is not connected it would play mono and if they are two connected it would play stereo. Is that possible?

Kind regards,

Ton

Hi Ton and thanks for your question!

Yes, this is totally possible. If you have two CX50s connected to one BeoCreate 4-Channel Amplifier, you can activate the stereo mode, and then use mono for one. This needs to be done manually because the DSP doesn't really know if speakers are connected, but it's very easy to do – just a few taps/clicks in the setup tool.

Best,

Tuomas

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

tkl
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
tkl replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 7:21 PM

Where can I find more info about the setup tool?

And which players are supported?

Are there any requirements for the players?

Kind regards,

Ton

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 10:36 PM

tkl:

Where can I find more info about the setup tool?

And which players are supported?

Are there any requirements for the players?

Kind regards,

Ton

The setup tool is web-based and located at http://www.bang-olufsen.com/recreate/setup/. When the necessary software is running on the Raspberry Pi, the setup tool can connect to it over the local network and get you through setting up the BeoCreate 4-Channel Amplifier. It works directly in the browser and doesn't need to be downloaded or installed.

From the start, the available sources are Bluetooth, Toslink, AirPlay 1 and Spotify Connect, so there's a wide variety of devices you can use it with. Note that there's no BeoLink (NL) integration – it's a standalone product at the moment. Of course, as the software for BeoCreate is open-source, everyone is welcome to dig in and experiment.

There's documentation of some of the software on HiFiBerry website: https://www.hifiberry.com/beocreate/beocreate-doc/

And of course I'm here to answer any questions you may have about it.

Tuomas

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, Feb 8 2018 1:29 PM

tph:
Note that there's no BeoLink (NL) integration – it's a standalone product at the moment. Of course, as the software for BeoCreate is open-source, everyone is welcome to dig in and experiment.

Hi tph,

Are you working on NL integration, or is it something we must not expect too much? (I understand that bringing NL compatibility while working open source is a potential threat to B&O as it will allow people to create (no pun intended) speakers that could cannibalize the NL range...) 

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Fri, Feb 16 2018 3:46 PM

mbee:

Hi tph,

Are you working on NL integration, or is it something we must not expect too much? (I understand that bringing NL compatibility while working open source is a potential threat to B&O as it will allow people to create (no pun intended) speakers that could cannibalize the NL range...) 

Hi mbee,

at this point I'll say that we're looking into it, but I wouldn't hold my breath (at least not yet). We will keep all of you posted about this and any other new features Smile

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 9:10 AM

The Bang & Olufsen create 4 channel amplifier is already available:

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/beocreate/beocreate-4-channel-amplifier/

Very nice idea!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

How much heat does the unit produce?

I mounted an amplifier inside a cx100 together with a Chromecast, and the amp produced so much heat that the Chromecast became unreliable.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Leif
Top 500 Contributor
Middle Jutland in DK
Posts 130
Gold Member
Leif replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 9:53 AM

Hi

Go ask your questions directly at HifiBerry site.

Their technician Daniel is very fast with answers

I ask a lot regarding Beocreate 4 as it's running with Rasperry which I know absolute nothing about.
Got all kind of questions answered fast and informative.

Nice experience

/Leif

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 9:59 AM
Looking at the website can the board run two pairs of speakers In different rooms and have Bluetooth on one and say Spotify on the other?
BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 10:35 AM

leogoeswild:

I mounted an amplifier inside a cx100 together with a Chromecast, and the amp produced so much heat that the Chromecast became unreliable.

Which Amp ? 

I am doing the very same thing using an LM3886 mounted directly to the bottom of the aluminium chassis works like a charm! 

It gets warm, but not hot,- there is no need to take the supply voltage to the maximum!

The Cromecast needs to be on the outside in order for the antennas to work properly, NOT like the BeoCreate solution where its buried deep inside an aluminium box behind a massive ferrite core... Surprise

SteveLE
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Gold Member
SteveLE replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 2:16 PM

I really like this idea, upgrading and adding modern features over replacement. 

I'm looking at ways of adding BT and or WiFi to my system, not sure this is the right thing, but the website does say something about it being the first product. I fascinated to find out what else they might come up with. 

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 7:48 PM
I like the idea but it’s a shame that to achieve stereo the speakers have to be physically tethered - surely there must be a way to do this programmatically?
tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 10:33 PM

leogoeswild:

How much heat does the unit produce?

Hi Leo,

the boards do get pretty warm, but in our tests inside various speakers (RL6000, RL2000, CX-series) this has never been an issue. It's built to handle it with grace.

kai:
Looking at the website can the board run two pairs of speakers In different rooms and have Bluetooth on one and say Spotify on the other?

I assume you mean connecting four speakers to one amplifier. Using Bluetooth and Spotify at the same time from one Raspberry Pi is not possible, as the link between the Pi and the DSP is two channels only. However, it is possible to play something from the Raspberry Pi and something else from the optical input, as these can work independently and can be routed to different outputs in the DSP. Or you could technically connect a second Raspberry Pi to the same board (via the pins next to the "main" Raspberry Pi) and use that for the other source, but I have not tested this.

MrRoast:
I like the idea but it’s a shame that to achieve stereo the speakers have to be physically tethered - surely there must be a way to do this programmatically?

The only way to do this wirelessly "out of the box" right now is to use iTunes and AirPlay to two units at once, but the synchronisation is not quite perfect. There is no good universal open-source solution that we have found thus far – doing this with e.g. Bluetooth or WiSA (as our home/Play products do) would require licensing special hardware and software, which would drive up the cost of the system and make it less open, both of which we do not want. Providing wireless stereo pairing is in everyone's interests, so we will keep working towards it in any way we can.

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sun, Feb 18 2018 4:18 PM
Thanks for the reply Tuomas, I’d considered the Airplay solution you mentioned but that would just be a pair of muxed down L/R signals not stereo if I understand correctly.
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, Feb 19 2018 7:06 AM

Does it support DLNA, too or is this planned?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

It just happens to be that I refoamed a pair of CX100's for myself last week. Just for testing purposes and with the idea to remove the S75's

So, to get some space back. Among all the stuff I have several RPI3's also laying around here.

So I printed the bracket and cap.

I'm just curious whether the investment will result in a decent sound in comparison with for instance a Beoplay M5.

At least it will give me some fun in building, configuring and testing.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

And the bracket.

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Mon, Feb 19 2018 3:32 PM

MrRoast:
Thanks for the reply Tuomas, I’d considered the Airplay solution you mentioned but that would just be a pair of muxed down L/R signals not stereo if I understand correctly.

In the setup tool you can choose which channels the loudspeaker plays. With CX50 you have stereo (for connecting two to the same amplifier), L, R or mono options. CX100 gives you L, R or mono options. I think CX100 defaults to mono, but as said, this can be easily changed.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Received yesterday the nice looking packages.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Looks promising.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Pic 2.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Let's create.

ralberge
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member

Hello,
I’m very interested with the beocrate board to create 4 independant CX100 speakers.
I need to put one CX100 per corner of my room but the official way solution with 2 speakers connected via toslink is not possible. Totally wireless speaker allow more possibility.
As sonos do, do you think it’s possible to configure a channel per speaker in beocrate app ? Is it preferable to use roon ?
Many thanks for your answer.

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

Hello there,

I am sooo waiting for a solution to upgrade Pentas as well, although connecting 9 speakers may be a bit of a challenge if you want to get rid of the 2 passive filter boards..

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Has anyone built the Beocreate CX100? I cant find a single video of a finished product. I wonder how they sound compared to the original.

Svenni
Not Ranked
Berlin, Germany
Posts 48
Bronze Member
Svenni replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 10:36 AM

I'm still looking for a black pair in good condition here in Germany...

This guys is the only one I know of that done it https://www.instagram.com/p/BfqLujkHdLq/
Might be some other testimonies on the HiFiBerry forum.

Note that this was done before the CX100 profile was finalized, still using a modified CX50 profile.

While not a comparison to the original, he thinks it sounds better (with just one speaker) than his Beosound 1.

Beoplay A2
Beoplay Earset
Beoplay H6 (Gen 2)
Beoplay S3 (pair)
Beoplay S8
Beovox CX50 (2 pairs)

Beovox RL 6000

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Hmm, is the BeoCreate only for making a single speaker? Is there a setup for making it a wireless stereo pair?

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 12:18 PM

leosgonewild:

Hmm, is the BeoCreate only for making a single speaker? Is there a setup for making it a wireless stereo pair?

No options for wireless stereo right now, unfortunately, and I do not know if this will be possible. We have to play with the Raspberry Pi hardware, and its wireless capabilities aren't as extensive as those in our multiroom speakers.

The best we can offer for CX 50 and CX 100 right now are guides for wired stereo.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

It runs Spotify Connect, right? Shouldn`t this be possible to solve by grouping the speakers from the Google Home app? That is what I have done with my Pentas.

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 1:33 PM

leosgonewild:

It runs Spotify Connect, right? Shouldn`t this be possible to solve by grouping the speakers from the Google Home app? That is what I have done with my Pentas.

Speaker grouping via Google Home requires Chromecast built-in, and Google have not open-sourced that. Spotify Connect, which we do have, is a different thing entirely.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Is the optical input on the board accesible from outside when mounted in the CX100?

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 1:49 PM

leosgonewild:

Is the optical input on the board accesible from outside when mounted in the CX100?

If you follow the current guides, then no – the only connection for power (and mini-XLR in the stereo guide). To have Toslink accessible you have to drill holes for it and seal them tightly, and the whole package of electronics probably needs to mount on the back plate.

Anyone is obviously welcome to do this and we encourage experimentation, but in the guides so far we've tried to modify the original loudspeaker as little as possible from the outside.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Ok, thanks for the info :)

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 2:55 PM

Still the amplifiers laying here with the (reconed) CX100's. To busy to finish at the moment...

I think the needed  3D parts are an obstacle for most persons who wants to build.

I can provide them if someone needs them.

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 4:43 PM

Beobuddy:

I think the needed  3D parts are an obstacle for most persons who wants to build.

I see what you're saying. It's getting easier all the time to find places where 3D prints can be made, though. For example, some libraries have them. But the parts are also available for purchase from HiFiBerry for this reason.

Svenni
Not Ranked
Berlin, Germany
Posts 48
Bronze Member
Svenni replied on Fri, Sep 14 2018 10:00 AM

IMO that was one of the easier parts — just went to 3D Hubs, found a guy in Berlin, explained what I was doing and he sent me the parts.

Soldering the mini XLR connectors and wires (without any soldering experience) was my biggest hurdle. Just finding all the components, and the damn 4-core wire was also difficult.

Now you can buy all this from HiFiBerry, definitelly doing that with my RL 6000 Smile

Beoplay A2
Beoplay Earset
Beoplay H6 (Gen 2)
Beoplay S3 (pair)
Beoplay S8
Beovox CX50 (2 pairs)

Beovox RL 6000

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 11:23 AM

Currently working on my BeoCreate system. 

Like many others on the HiFiBerry Community, I was struggling to just get it configured via the browser and BeoCreate image. I went out to buy a mouse and keyboard yesterday and connected it to the nearest thing I had to a monitor, my bedroom BV8. I went through the process of giving the Rpi a normal Raspbian image and started manually adding all the files from BeoCreate pieces.

Today has been a rainy, dreary day in Cologne so I have spent my morning working on it. Really glad to share that I successfully streamed from Apple Music on my iPhone X to the BeoCreate+Rpi via Shairplay. Volume control doesn't work right now but I'm making small bits of progress!

Cannot wait to really dive into Sigma Studio and build the DSP for my project and learn more.

Lets have a Party !!!

Beo4 'til I die!

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 8:43 PM

Evan:

Currently working on my BeoCreate system. 

Like many others on the HiFiBerry Community, I was struggling to just get it configured via the browser and BeoCreate image. I went out to buy a mouse and keyboard yesterday and connected it to the nearest thing I had to a monitor, my bedroom BV8. I went through the process of giving the Rpi a normal Raspbian image and started manually adding all the files from BeoCreate pieces.

Sorry for the troubles – good to see your system up and running!

I'd like to take this moment to give an update on what's going on with BeoCreate:

We are very aware of the troubles with the current software setup experience. It was originally created as a quick, temporary solution, but we've had to use it for a lot longer than we would've liked. It's very fragile (as you've seen) and not very easy to maintain.

I'm working on replacing it with something new, called BeoCreate 2. It's built from the ground up to be rock-solid, modular and future-proof (there are some exciting features we want to add later on). BeoCreate 2 is still some ways out, but I hope to have an early version out for testing sometime during the spring.

Because I don't have enough hands to fix the current setup experience and work on BeoCreate 2 at the same time, I'm focusing on the latter – and I'm positive it'll be worth it. Despite this, if you have any questions I can help with, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 9:33 PM

Thanks for the update, Tuomas. I read your similar comments on HiFiBerry and I'm looking forward to the update.

I started my project not intending to use any of the pre-made guides (CX/RL/etc) so I knew I was going to have to go into the more DIY path and eventually break away from the pre-made configurations.

If you have any tips on re-connecting the TCP link for Sigma Studio I am all ears. I tested it yesterday evening and successfully wrote a DSP profile OTA. However today it isn't working. I assume its because I haven't reactivated something on the Rpi after one of the many reboots.

Between that and the source (itunes or iPhone) volume control as I mentioned above, those are the two things I need to iron out.

Thanks,
Evan

Beo4 'til I die!

Page 2 of 3 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS