Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

My B&O Home

This post has 894 Replies | 7 Followers

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 10:53 AM
Grabbed a pair of BL4000 to match my BL1...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
@IA64

Fingerprint scanner ?!?!?

What the .... for may I ask ?

BeoNut since '75

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:26 PM
elephant:

What the .... for may I ask?

It’s in his intercom so probably used to unlock the main door? And he doesn’t need a key?

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

IA64
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 135
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:51 PM

elephant:
@IA64

What the .... for may I ask ?

Yes that's the unit below. It has motion sensor, 130 deg. camera, fingerprint scanner and doorbell. I honestly hate keys.  And Siedle is one of the few that has seamless integration with Crestron.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:59 PM
Crestron... are you doing every aspect of Crestron yourself?

I was going to have this system running on the side but creating the GUI and display size for every device was becoming ridiculous...

And every installation is unique to what you want to see on the displays, creating virtual buttons...

It’s hard to make the GUI look like a million pound if you don’t know what you’re doing. And I would say I am not capable of installing Crestron by myself.

I like the BLGW’s set template on zones and where everything is located for function 👍🏻💯

It just works!

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

IA64
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 135
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 2:12 PM

Kiran:
Crestron... are you doing every aspect of Crestron yourself?

I was going to have this system running on the side but creating the GUI and display size for every device was becoming ridiculous...

And every installation is unique to what you want to see on the displays, creating virtual buttons...

It’s hard to make the GUI look like a million pound if you don’t know what you’re doing. And I would say I am not capable of installing Crestron by myself.

I like the BLGW’s set template on zones and where everything is located for function 👍🏻💯

It just works!

Exactly, Crestron is very complicated and although I did the design, networking part and the supervision, Crestron certified engineer is going to handle the integration. I've been told to look for a very experience integrator since it's very difficult and not every certified person is similar.

I didn't like their AV solutions, I went for Atlona as it does pretty well with B&O and Denon since they have rackmount AMPs and receivers.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 3:34 PM
I would say hold off on video distribution if you haven’t already purchased your equipment...

I’m looking for the next gen - av over IP... with dedicated gigabit or 10G switches...

I’m still not happy with compression.

I’m waiting. This will be the next big thing...

Best 2 I’ve seen so far is Atlona Omnistream and JAP - Just Add Power...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 3:45 PM

Fingerprint scanner...now the thieves won't need your keys, just your finger. SurpriseStick out tongue

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

IA64
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 135
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 4:50 PM

Kiran:
I would say hold off on video distribution if you haven’t already purchased your equipment...

I’m looking for the next gen - av over IP... with dedicated gigabit or 10G switches...

I’m still not happy with compression.

I’m waiting. This will be the next big thing...

Best 2 I’ve seen so far is Atlona Omnistream and JAP - Just Add Power...

I already got the UHD PRO3  -10.2 Gbps -   but I didn't really understand what you mean by AV over IP. I'm not that into AV switching but what I know is that the output of the UHD PRO3 is HDbaseT over cat6/7 and capable of 4K @ 60hz. No CEC tho.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 7:41 PM
That Altona doesn't distribute HDR video though? Correct me if I am wrong.

That's part of the issue with doing a huge home project right now. No problem with distributing audio, but full fat UHD (4K HDR) requires something new like Atlantis Omnistream. I haven't read the full white paper on it, but will need to just to reassure myself that there is no compression going on there too. And I'll have to double check whether it does DV.

So if distributing video is important, I'd be careful right now.
IA64
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 135
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 11:43 PM

Sandyb:
That Altona doesn't distribute HDR video though? Correct me if I am wrong.

That's part of the issue with doing a huge home project right now. No problem with distributing audio, but full fat UHD (4K HDR) requires something new like Atlantis Omnistream. I haven't read the full white paper on it, but will need to just to reassure myself that there is no compression going on there too. And I'll have to double check whether it does DV.

So if distributing video is important, I'd be careful right now.

You mean this ? https://atlona.com/product/at-hdr-h2h-44ma/

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 9:25 AM
Ah, my mistake then.

I thought their new Omnistream system was their HDR solution.

Thanks for the correction.
Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 9:25 AM
Audio Video over IP...

No matrix involved...

All done over your normal network switches...

This is where a dedicated gigabit/10G switch is important with mad throughput...

Modular system only requiring however many transmitters you need - I would need 6 for 3 sky boxes and 3 apple TVs.

I would need 16 receivers for 16 TVs...

I hope all of this makes sense...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 12:23 PM
Annex gets granite worktops today...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 12:49 PM

Kiran, the Omnistream white paper is worth a read.

Even i just about understood it, and i'm a bit limited technically.

But yes, no matrix but a series of encoders (for sources) and decoders (for displays).

Obviously needs robust network switch equipment - their paper mentions that 1GB is required, not necessarily 10GB.

Seems like this approach (compared to a matrix) is that sources can be anywhere. They don't all need to be locally plugged into the matrix.

Also seems like they have gone for as minimal video compression as possible, and something professional grade.

I guess with smart TV's with built in streaming services, video distribution systems like matrices or this won't be relevant for the vast majority of people.

That said, i like them - one set of sources, all available on multiple displays (none of my BV's are smart, doesn't bother me).

Anyway.

http://atlona.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/OmniStream_Whitepaper_Truly_Converged_Networked_AV.pdf

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 1:34 PM
They are not granite. They are quartz... but that’s the same thing right...

Big fat thick slabs...

Marexy will be quick to point out this stupid pipework error lol... the pipes should have never been showing especially in a new build...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 1:50 PM
Sandyb:

Obviously needs robust network switch equipment - their paper mentions that 1GB is required, not necessarily 10GB.

My understanding of this is that gigabit switches will work fine if used as one network switch.

If you have multiple network switches and want up to 8 4K streams going from one switch to another, the network switches will require 10G connections which are typically SPF ports connected via fibre...

Is it HDR though?...

This could work nicely... 👍🏻💯

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 2:10 PM
Kiran:

Marexy will be quick to point out this stupid pipework error lol... the pipes should have never been showing especially in a new build...

S**t happens Smile

You should be able to cover the pipes with two pieces of eg MDF (especially since they are so close to the corner) and paint the cover in same color as the wall.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 9:13 PM

Hey ..no problem from my side..it can be done with plaster board or MDF.

or you can do MDF to hide pipes and add led strip for side light decoratin :)

limitless options :)

Gret build Kiran..and cong. for your project :)

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 12:49 AM
marexy:

Hey ..no problem from my side...

Wasn’t really aiming at anything...

I like to be kept on my toes... 👍🏻💯

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 1:41 AM
IA64:

Sneak peak ( i did the AV / Networking and rendering part myself )

I love that fireplace!

Plaster/skim the corners perfectly right otherwise it will hurt my eyes...

My corners are crap... I’m not moving forward in the living room until they’re done right...

These are the types of stupid issues I have to deal with...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 10:19 AM
Quartz worktops nearly all done... bits and bobs need to be finished off tomorrow...

Annex just keeps on looking better...

I need new sofas...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 12:08 PM

Looking good. Is that an extractor behind the hob?

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 12:32 PM
Yes it will be wired back up tomorrow.

Works well even though I wasn’t initially keen on them.

Will take pics once it’s back up and running...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 12:39 PM
What is the annexe going to be used for Kiran?
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 12:39 PM

Kiran:
Yes it will be wired back up tomorrow.

Works well even though I wasn’t initially keen on them.

Will take pics once it’s back “up and running”...

Thanks - certainly looks neater than an overhead hood - I'll be interested to see it up and running.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 12:47 PM
Duels:

What is the annexe going to be used for Kiran?

Parties... chilling area... for guests when they stay over... whatever really... we made it because we stayed at something like this on a holiday lol...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 2:51 PM
Kiran:

Parties... chilling area... for guests when they stay over... whatever really... we made it because we stayed at something like this on a holiday lol... Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Sounds perfect.
Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 2:15 PM
Guy:

Thanks - certainly looks neater than an overhead hood - I'll be interested to see it up and running.

👍🏻👍🏻

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 2:41 PM

Where/how does the hood exhaust? Does it go to the outside or pass through a filter and then back into the house/kitchen?

Jeff

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member

Here in the States, downdraft exhausts are usually so expensive (by comparison to exhaust fans, not to B&O equipment) and recirculating into the kitchen is considered cheapo, so they always install them "for real" with decent ducting to outdoors.  Because downdraft is a little less efficient, they typically have an outlet pretty near the fan -- and I must admit I didn't see any big honking hole in the cabinet back below the quartz slab install...  (Kiran will probably show us a pic of the outside wall, or with the cabinet doors open, obviating this post...)  I am curious to know the brand(s) used because everything we can get here has a big ugly brand logo plastered on it.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 6:26 PM

Never been to a house with a downdraft exhaust, even though I've seen plenty of homes with quite expensive, elaborate exhaust hoods. I agree with you about logos, if you want me to advertise for you knock the price down. Plus most are ugly.*

I'm fortunate in the house I have now, I have a vent hood, not a pricey one but it works, and on the roof there is also a vent fan similar to the ones you see on restaurant roofs, but smaller. Turning them both on results in great extraction, I can sear a steak in a cast iron pan at very high temps without smoking out the kitchen or house. I just had a roof vented hood at my last house and it didn't work that well, the extra fan on the roof is a big help.

* Ever notice that on many cheaper electronics, receivers, tape decks, etc. over the years, how junky and busy the front panels are because they list every damned feature the device has? Like "DBS/DolbyNR/Surround Sound/Discrete Power Amp/Buzzword/Buzzword/etc. It's because most people shopping for them don't care about the looks much, and there are no more brochures that people get at the store and pour over, so they know they have to advertise all the "features" on the front panel. Looks dreadful.

Jeff

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

Wow what a lot of cool updates here and congratz on your matching BL4000! They look really beautiful and the kitchen quite nice too.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 7:03 PM
It’s done properly...

Extracted outside...

No circulation...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 7:11 PM

Outstanding Kiran! Why am I not surprised you did it right? Big Smile

Is that an induction cooktop? I had to replace the cooktop when I moved in here, and went with gas, and love it, but the other option I was considering was induction. Once again I've never known anyone with an induction to see how they liked it so any comments by anyone using one?

Jeff

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 8:27 PM
Yes it’s an induction top... I’ve never used it lol

There’s no gas down here... only in the main house 👍🏻👍🏻

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Induction is great Big Smile just need pans that work with it. I love these new style of “hood” vents, much cleaner!

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 10:00 PM
Even though gas is good to use, induction is definitely preferred in our house. We had gas in Australia for 3 years and are now back in Denmark and our 5 zones induction.

@Kiran. You won’t regret it!
vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 10:41 PM

We use induction..... in our previous homes we always used gas.

Induction is very (and instantly) controllable, more so than gas! Very easy to clean cooktop, and very safe. The glass cooktop only gets the residual heat that transfers back from the pans, and cools quickly after use.

The system is very efficient in that only heat is induced in the pan, so nothing is lost by flames licking up the sides etc. However, and this is a big however.... in the U.K. electricity is about 5 times the cost of gas if you compare costs per KW Hr, so if you only consider running costs gas is still likely to be cheaper even if you waste half of the energy with flames burning up the sides of the pan.

Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 7 2018 12:13 AM

Thanks! I think most of my cookware would have been fine on induction, only a couple of non-ferrous based ones I'd have had to replace. What I had in my previous homes was either an old style traditional wire element burner electric, or far worse, the "new and improved" electric cook top with the elements under a sheet of glass. Man those were terrible.

I truly like gas, but it sounds like maybe I'd like induction even more. I am not sure of the cost difference in gas vs. electric here in the rural South of the US, gas is billed in therms and electricity in KW Hr. Must be a conversion online somewhere, I'll have to check that next bill I get, now you've got me curious.

The thing I like least about my gas cook top is it's not flat and is a pain to clean, and it's stainless so it's hard to get it looking good, but functionally it works well.

Jeff

Page 11 of 23 (895 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS