Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

My B&O Home

This post has 894 Replies | 7 Followers

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Look really nice so far Kiran. I like the choice of colour grey, it's one of my favourite colours; very neutral and many colours work with it, which makes it interesting. I can't help but wonder how you are coping with the stress levels? Your entire house is being rebuilt as well as your outside space; you are temporarily rewiring and having to live and work from this space too presumably, what do you switch off and take time out when needed? I am finding my own renovation extremely testing on some days. Best, Simon.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 10:34 AM
BAND'OH!:

Your entire house is being rebuilt as well as your outside space; you are temporarily rewiring and having to live and work from this space too presumably, what do you switch off and take time out when needed?

Thanks for asking...

This is my sanctuary in the Annex... my getaway spot 👍🏻👍🏻

Sometimes I just like to be left alone in here...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:49 PM
Kiran:

This is my sanctuary in the Annex... my getaway spot 👍🏻👍🏻

Sometimes I just like to be left alone in here...

Time to start a man-cave thread Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 4:49 PM
Progress...

Server room now has a door...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 6:40 PM
elephant:

Time to start a man-cave thread BeoNut since '75

Do it! I can’t because I haven’t got a man cave. I just have a man house. Perhaps an open plan living area could be a man cavern?
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 6:56 PM

You need to leave more room in the server room for cots for the next time there's a heat wave in the UK!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Duels:

elephant:

Time to start a man-cave thread

Duels:

Do it! I can’t because I haven’t got a man cave. I just have a man house. Perhaps an open plan living area could be a man cavern?

Neither do I !

That’s why I ooze jealousy 🤢

Maybe I’ll start one with a picture of my “man corner”

After that as a start everyone else’s post will just be better and betterer and betterest Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 8:44 AM
elephant:

Maybe I’ll start one with a picture of my “man corner”

LOL I’m sure you’ve not got it that bad...

I’m not even allowed to build and pay for my own PC. I don’t understand my parents...

In the grand scheme of things, it will be a poxy self built machine that stays in the corner of my bedroom. Parent’s are not agreeing...

But they agreed for a server room which they will never walk into...

I will still build my machine lol...

Some specs:

Phanteks Evolv X case

Asus Rog Maximus X Formula Motherboard

intel core i7 8086K unlocked

Asus strix gtx 1080 ti graphics

I still need to figure out the amount and speed of RAM to use, power supply and will be using water cooling...

Should I leave this for another thread?...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member

if i may suggest a few things,

ditch the 8086k for the 8700k, save some money and they roughly/exactly overclock to the same point anyway. They are the exact same chip, the 8086k is just slightly binned higher, or atleast that is the idea. that how ever is not any guarantee that it OC's the same. Some 8700k's OC higher than 8086k's and vice versa, so it's kind of a pointless exercise.

With regards to memory, 16GB is usually more than plenty, unless you're a massive tab hog(more than 14ish tabs) in google chrome or will do a lot of high resolution editing then go for 32GB. On the intel platform, memory speed does very little to system performance. around 3200mhz is sort of the optimal frequency(slightly higher or lower doesn't really change much of anything), but one thing you should look for is the CAS latency where lower is better. the sometimes also list it as uS/true latency, again lower is better.

as for water cooling, any AIO(all in one) liquid cooler of 240mm/280mm will do way more than needed. the bigger they are though the slower you can spin the fans and therefor make it quieter in games or rendering. If you go the open loop round, just be aware that it'll get expensive very quickly. Quality bitspower fitting will go for around 20 pounds a fitting and if you do cpu only cooling you'll need 6 of them minimum, 2 x cpu/2x radiator/2x pump. you can get fittings for around 10 pounds a piece but you run a slightly higher risk of leaks over time and then killing all your hardware. open loop cooling is very expensive and for the system you're building it won't get you any performance increase as the heat out put isn't enough to validate the cost for the effort. but i must say, open loop cooling can really look fantastic, just remember it may cost you about half if not more than what the actual hardware costs you to begin with.

and also a new intel cpu and a new nvidia gpu are around the corner(1 or 2 months) so if you're not in a hurry, don't buy anything just yet as even the prices of your current list will drop dramatically.

hope this helps? :)

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 4:19 PM
Mikipidia:

and also a new intel cpu and a new nvidia gpu are around the corner(1 or 2 months) so if you're not in a hurry, don't buy anything just yet as even the prices of your current list will drop dramatically.

hope this helps? :)

Thank you for the insight!

This helps a lot.

I’m not buying anything yet. I’m looking at every possible option and setup before I set myself in stone... 👍🏻💯

I’ve been reading up on AMD’s Threadripper CPUs... I hear it’s a game changer?... any experience or advice on this?...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 5:20 PM
Progress...

Dormer sliding door is in!

They messed up on the measurements for the other one... I wonder how that’s possible when both are the same lol...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member

AMD's threadripper is a game changer for sure, but it really depends on what you're doing. In short threadripper is amazing for the price and the very high core count, but if you don't know if you need it or not, you basically don't need it. it's made for hardcore workstations/high-end rendering/heavy computational tasks. You can do the same with any other CPU but it comes down to the amount of time you have for a specific task.

If you do normal computing as in playing (high-end) games/browsing/even some normal video editing, you'll be more than fine with an Intel i7 8700k. If you mostly game and stuff like that, an Intel i7 still has the best performance for high frame rates in a Z370 motherboard as the chip has 6 cores 12 threads and is fully overclock-able. Most games at best use 4 core and 4 threads, very few well optimized games go above that. So stay with the idea you have and you'l be fine, unless you have EXTREME needs you haven't talked about yet :p

BTW also get an M.2 nvme ssd(fancy ssd basically), that'll probably give you the biggest perfomance gain compared to most other hardware.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 7:10 PM
Parents? Parents!!?

They can adopt me Big Smile

And I'd probably agree to slavery in that house Stick out tongue

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 7:34 PM
Yes the M.2 is a must. I missed out on mentioning this initially. OS Booting will come from these to make it as fast as possible.

I’ll probably stick to the same motherboard and get an 8700K.

I’ll probably go for all in one cooling too. Or I might get brave... lol

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 12:10 AM
Kiran:

LOL I’m sure you’ve not got it that bad...

I’m not even allowed to build and pay for my own PC. I don’t understand my parents...

In the grand scheme of things, it will be a poxy self built machine that stays in the corner of my bedroom. Parent’s are not agreeing...

But they agreed for a server room which they will never walk into...

I will still build my machine lol...

Some specs:

Phanteks Evolv X case

Asus Rog Maximus X Formula Motherboard

intel core i7 8086K unlocked

Asus strix gtx 1080 ti graphics

I still need to figure out the amount and speed of RAM to use, power supply and will be using water cooling...

Should I leave this for another thread?... Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Do they allow you to put your gaming pc into your server room?

That’s what i’ve done and it works surprisingly well. I basically run a beefy server in my server room with a bunch of VMs.

i stream from a windows VM to other rooms.

In the other rooms, i only have a tiny raspberry, which acts as a thin client. i have xbox controllers connected to the rpi via bluetooth.

i’m surprised that even the highest-demand games run in such setup with almost no latency. just takes some effort to setup and quite a high performing server.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
steve1977:

That’s what i’ve done and it works surprisingly well. I basically run a beefy server in my server room with a bunch of VMs.

i stream from a windows VM to other rooms.

In the other rooms, i only have a tiny raspberry, which acts as a thin client. i have xbox controllers connected to the rpi via bluetooth.

i’m surprised that even the highest-demand games run in such setup with almost no latency. just takes some effort to setup and quite a high performing server.

🤕🤯

BeoNut since '75

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 7:34 AM
I think it was more the first PC case I showed them (The Dragon) - Thermaltake P7... they were not happy with it...

I guess the idea seems to be okay with the Phanteks Evolv X... it hides a lot away...

It’s all about clutter... why have it when you have a big fat server room - is what my mum says...

I want it in my room and I guess they’ll be okay with it...

I haven’t mentioned this yet on the thread but I am having a second server room upstairs lol...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 7:47 AM
steve1977:

I stream from a windows VM to other rooms.

Sounds like a nice little custom job you’ve done there...

My machine will be in my room and there aren’t many other places where I’d use it...

I was thinking of putting it in the server room and into a Matrix or AV over IP...

BUT

I want to have around 2 to 4 monitors depending on their size so a dedicated table setup in a corner of my room is the way to go...

And I don’t want to worry about I/O connections from the server room to my room...

I’m not even sure how I’d hook up so many monitors if the PC was in the server room? Maybe I’d need 2-4 Matrix baluns or receivers...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 8:03 AM
I’ve been using this more and more lately...

The BeoBurger is one of the best portable speakers!

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 8:43 AM
Kitchen / Dining progress...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
Kiran:

Sounds like a nice little custom job you’ve done there...

My machine will be in my room and there aren’t many other places where I’d use it...

I was thinking of putting it in the server room and into a Matrix or AV over IP...

BUT

I want to have around 2 to 4 monitors depending on their size so a dedicated table setup in a corner of my room is the way to go...

And I don’t want to worry about I/O connections from the server room to my room...

I’m not even sure how I’d hook up so many monitors if the PC was in the server room? Maybe I’d need 2-4 Matrix baluns or receivers... Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

I did it to avoid clutter in my living room. i’m allergic to cables and/or large form factor devices. and my wife is even more so ;)

another side benefit is that you could have several computers running different things in different rooms (even incl gaming), but only one “real” computer. a rpi is basically the size of a credit card and micro-usb powered, so non-issue.

given the type of cables, you’re putting into your place, you shouldn’t have any I/O issues.

don’t know though how to deal with your need for several screens. if they require several GPUs, this may not work. if it works with one gpu, this should not an issue.
Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 10:01 AM
I might follow you on this...

I know there are tons of uses for the Pi... I never really got into it...

I have no experience in VM and how to incorporate this with Pis in all rooms...

I like the idea... and I will have a maxed out machine in my bedroom or server room... doesn’t really matter with my gigabit network...

What OS and software are you running on the Pis?...

Can a PS4 controller work with it?...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 2:00 PM
Living room progress...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 4:09 PM
Living room progress...

BeoAvant moves here tomorrow 👍🏻💯

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 3:37 PM
Living room progress...

My electrician and I do some of the cleanest installs...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 3:48 PM
Living room progress...

Chimney coming out...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 4:47 PM
Kiran:

My electrician and I do some of the cleanest installs...

Nice job Kiran.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Duels:

Nice job Kiran.

Yes - thumbs up

I guess the Avant swings towards the part of the space where the chimney used to be ?

BeoNut since '75

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 10:14 PM
elephant:

I guess the Avant swings towards the part of the space where the chimney used to be ?

Correct!

The Avant looks so much better on a grey wall imo...

I feel knackered today...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 11:57 PM
Kiran:

I feel knackered today...

I empathise !

Time for some downtime and beers 🍻

BeoNut since '75

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 2:29 PM

Looking good … but will you not get a stiff neck watching a TV that is mounted so high on the wall (above the fire)?  I was always taught that the centre of the screen should be level with the viewing position (eyeline). 

It does look stylish though, and is probably fine for day to day viewing rather than films etc (I think you have (an)other room(s) for that!! Smile)

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 3:34 PM

Guy:

Looking good … but will you not get a stiff neck watching a TV that is mounted so high on the wall (above the fire)?  I was always taught that the centre of the screen should be level with the viewing position (eyeline). 

It does look stylish though, and is probably fine for day to day viewing rather than films etc (I think you have (an)other room(s) for that!! Smile)

I was wondering the same thing, as I always do when I see TVs mounted that way. Mine is quite low by comparison, a 65 inch that sits so the center of the screen is just at eye level when seated on the couch. But then, what I primarily watch is movies.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 3:42 PM
I knew you guys would mention this!

The black sofas in the living room are electric and turn into loungers... your head faces diagonally up when you are comfortable...

We’ve had trouble while the TV was low lol...

I will show you pictures of the sofas in their comfort position when I get home...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 9:56 PM
UPDATE

UPGRADE!

As the build moves on, time moves on and so does my need to build a spaceship...

Cat7A... 1000mhz

P.S. Fibre upgrade next...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Sep 10 2018 9:10 AM
Living room progress...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Sep 10 2018 11:07 AM
Server room progress...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Mon, Sep 10 2018 1:20 PM

nice job Kiran :)

You are MAD ..in positive way !!

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Sep 10 2018 9:29 PM
marexy:

You are MAD

Yes I like to think so too...🍻

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Sep 10 2018 10:20 PM

Kiran:
I knew you guys would mention this!

The black sofas in the living room are electric and turn into loungers... your head faces diagonally up when you are comfortable...

We’ve had trouble while the TV was low lol...

I will show you pictures of the sofas in their comfort position when I get home...

the screen is flat against the wall though? 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Tue, Sep 11 2018 9:07 AM
UPDATE

UPGRADE!

Moving onto 4 core tight buffered multimode fibre in every data point...

We still going strong 💪🏻🔥

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Page 14 of 23 (895 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS