Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound Shape

rated by 0 users
This post has 129 Replies | 4 Followers

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

CB:
BAND'OH!:
I heard an 8-shape this afternoon and wasn't that impressed I have to say.

Could you elaborate on this a little bit please?

What do you compare it to?

Did you listened to another system in the same room?

Hi CB, appreciate your question as my comments were a little vague. The problem is that when I first walked into the store I wasn't made to feel very welcome and neither was my friend who accompanied me. We had just finished a plastering course (I am learning that skill part-time at college so that I can work on my own house rebuilds and also I love learning new skills etc). This undoubtedly had an affect. The manager showed his snobby side, which I am glad I saw as I always buy the person first. I can buy my products from anywhere else so I am not fussed at all about loyalty to local dealers; only those who are genuinely nice people to deal with and respectful of all. Suffice to say I won't be visiting that store again. This unfortunately meant I only had a brief listen to the Shape as the manager wasn't even that bothered to demonstrate it in the first place, so the whole experience felt awkward from the beginning. In the brief moment I did hear it, which was airplay/bluetooth from an A3/Ipad2 combo, all I can say is that it didn't strike me at all as anything interesting. I could dismiss it pretty quickly. I think the thing is this CB, we all buy products for different reasons. Much as I want good sound from an audio system and good picture quality from a television; first and foremost (in fact always) I want the best customer experience. You gel with some people and not with others. The people in this store are not people I gel with. I have more knowledge about B&O products than they do, far more, and I think this intimidates them as they don't like my questions and struggle to answer them objectively or honestly - it's all about the sale of course. they rely purely on trying to push the brand of B&O on me as if that will be enough alone to make a purchase. It won't be. I am wiser, better educated and don't part with my money so blindly. Therefore you might have to rely on others for a more substantial review of the Shape as I have already lost interest not just in the store but also that product given this experience - first impressions etc. Cheers, Simon.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 7:11 AM
BAND'OH!:
first and foremost (in fact always) I want the best customer experience.

I'm sorry your visit to this shop turned bad, and I completely understand your state of mind after that. I lived a similar "experience" few years ago with my BL5s and it took me a loooong time to change my mind and, at last, appreciate my purchase. But something was broken between me and dealers...

It's like in a restaurant, what's in the plate is not all !
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 14 2017 8:40 PM
Went to see and listen to the shape in Sheffield today. My expectation was that the sound wouldn't necessarily be that great. Boy was I wrong. It was excellent. Tried quite a few tracks which were pretty bass heavy and it performed extremely well. The separation was excellent. This was just an 8 tile, 4 speaker set-up. So almost entry level. It's very impressive for what it is and looks great too. At £4,200 plus installation I would say it's well priced for B&O world. I would love to hear something with 10 or more speakers. The algorithm used to allocate the sound between speakers is clearly a very very clever piece of work.

It's a very bold and original idea. And it deserves to do well.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 14 2017 8:42 PM
Not sure why I only have half a picture....

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Sep 14 2017 8:53 PM

Thanks Duels Yes - thumbs up

Can you compare it to something known ?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 14 2017 9:29 PM
CB:

Thanks Duels

Can you compare it to something known ?

That is really difficult because it is such a unique combined speaker and sound system. Functionally it's a core with speakers. But in practice it's a bit more because of the algorithm used to control the sound. And the potential with a larger number of speakers must be very significant. Even with 4 speakers you got the idea of the "band on the wall". Vocals central. Other stuff spread over the wall.

I would prefer this 4 speaker shape to a core and BL17s if that helps. But I would prefer my BL18s and a core to this 4 speaker core particularly because of the treble from the acoustic lens. But then the 18s and core would cost more.

But add a few more speakers and who knows......

It is not for "sweet spot" listening, it's for room filling sound but still with great separation.

In a way it's so obvious. For years people have been trying to use two speakers to create sound imaging as if the sound comes not from two speakers but from everywhere in front of you and between them. This simply puts the speakers all over the place and lets the sound come from them. But it does this uniquely for every configuration.

And it works as a piece of wall decoration /art. The finish and appearance is that good.

For those who don't like traditional speakers or even B&O speakers this would have a high level of appeal.

The only possible problem I see is the fact that it is an utterly unique idea, and that requires a degree of acceptance or buy-in to a new concept that traditional speakers don't.
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Sep 14 2017 9:50 PM

What's impressive about the Shape is the marketing concept which also pitches it at corporate buyers for hotels etc. 

Which makes it confusing for me as I'd really like it in our dining room at home.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 14 2017 10:05 PM
Simonbeo:

What's impressive about the Shape is the marketing concept which also pitches it at corporate buyers for hotels etc.

Which makes it confusing for me as I'd really like it in our dining room at home.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

Do not be confused. It would be equally at home in a corporate environment as a dining room. The design options are so varied with size and colour palette it would fit most places.
CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Sep 21 2017 10:59 AM

I visited the Parisian dealer who exhibited a BS Shape yesterday.

We listened to "Hotel California" via Tidal High Res on a set-up made of 8 tiles / 4 loudspeakers. The sound was good (specially if you just stay in the Shape axis) and strong enough. But...

This BS Shape is the size of a BS35 as you can see. It is clearly too compact to render the "Band on the wall" effect. I believe a more elongated "4 speakers Shape" will sound much better.

The trebles are very directional, too much would I say. If you are used to acoustic lenses equipped speakers, it sounds like a step back. Even the trebles of my BS 35 are clearly better off-axis.

It was not possible to compare with the BS35 placed just below, as it was not connected unfortunately.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Sep 21 2017 12:58 PM

CB:
I wonder how good it sounds if you sit down with the Shape in your back (back to the wall) ???

I tried and... it's not that good Sad

The trebles disappear when you listen this way, the sound is kind of muffled.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member

The fabrics have both a nice soft touch but the clearance around the fabric lid is not regular. This is not nice looking...

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sat, Nov 18 2017 2:33 PM
Is there a configuration tool to determine the optimal placement of the speakers over the chosen tile composition?

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Sat, Nov 18 2017 8:51 PM

Hi Sal

I said I would post photos of a real life Shape install with no faux wall to hide cables. This client is exceptionally happy with install and performance of the BeoSound Shape.

Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Sat, Nov 18 2017 8:52 PM

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sat, Nov 18 2017 8:59 PM
Looks good!
Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sat, Nov 18 2017 11:23 PM
The BeoSound Shape explanation video refers to an algorithm for the sound processing.

Does the Shape know it's shape?

Where is this Shape processing done? In the Core or in the amplifiers?

- Flere

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Nov 19 2017 4:34 AM
Flere:

The BeoSound Shape explanation video refers to an algorithm for the sound processing.

Does the Shape know it's shape?

Where is this Shape processing done? In the Core or in the amplifiers? - Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

I believe it’s in the core and I believe the configuration is designed in the online tool; and the configuration is calibrated by calculations that produce a file for the designed shape; and that file is downloaded during installation.

The “I believe” comes from the endless in-depth videos I watched at the time of the launch.

BeoNut since '75

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Mon, Nov 20 2017 6:48 PM
elephant:

I believe it’s in the core and I believe the configuration is designed in the online tool; and the configuration is calibrated by calculations that produce a file for the designed shape; and that file is downloaded during installation.

The “I believe” comes from the endless in-depth videos I watched at the time of the launch. BeoNut since '75

Is this also how the potentially non-symmetrical speaker placement is handled?

- Flere

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Nov 21 2017 12:23 PM
Opman:

Hi Sal

I said I would post photos of a real life Shape install with no faux wall to hide cables. This client is exceptionally happy with install and performance of the BeoSound Shape.

Nice! How did you manage the cabling?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Tue, Nov 21 2017 3:23 PM

elephant:

The “I believe” comes from the endless in-depth videos I watched at the time of the launch.

Not entirely correct. The Core does not have enough output channels to push a unique signal to each of the amplifiers – instead, a normal stereo audio signal is sent and the Core then instructs each amplifier how to process the signal, to achieve the "band on the wall" effect.

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Tue, Nov 21 2017 9:07 PM
tph:

Not entirely correct. The Core does not have enough output channels to push a unique signal to each of the amplifiers – instead, a normal stereo audio signal is sent and the Core then instructs each amplifier how to process the signal, to achieve the "band on the wall" effect.

-- Tuomas // Bang & Olufsen Create

Hi Thomas,

Is that "instructing" done via that USB data interface of the Core?

Or is this also done via the optical link?

In other words, is the Core volume controlled optical output using special coding only understood bij the Shape amps?

I am asking because I could not get the Core volume controlled optical output to work with the BL50. So I was wondering if there was special coding going on.

- Flere

Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Tue, Nov 21 2017 10:01 PM

Hiort:
Opman:

Hi Sal

Nice! How did you manage the cabling?

Hi

If you look at the bottom of the photo to the right of the lamp is a double mains socket. We were able to fish the cables in the wall from there to the installation.

Opman

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Nov 22 2017 7:03 AM
Opman:

Well done Big Smile

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Fri, Dec 1 2017 1:18 PM

Hi All

We have recently completed another BeoSound Shape installation and the client has kindly allowed us to share these images. This is a 9 tile set u with 4 speakers.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Dec 1 2017 3:11 PM

Thanks for posting the pictures. Lovely Lovely! If it sounds half as good as it looks, I'd call it an outright winner!

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Dec 1 2017 3:31 PM

So very many holes drilled in one's wall, though. Yikes.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Sal:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Lovely Lovely! If it sounds half as good as it looks, I'd call it an outright winner!

Fantastic - well done

Who cares about 🇨🇭 🧀 walls !

BeoNut since '75

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sat, Dec 2 2017 11:33 AM
I think the shape looks great in these pics.
Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Fri, Feb 2 2018 10:39 PM

Another Shape installation this week. Eight tiles in the kitchen.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Fri, Feb 2 2018 10:52 PM
This is a 9 tile Shape known as Downtown, looks and sounds amazing. One amp with 4 speakers.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Feb 3 2018 8:55 AM

Thanks to ALL the posters here (and also the posters in the "Flash your B&O" thread of course) !

This is certainly the best advertisement I can imagine for the BS Shape and for Bang & Olufsen.

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Yendys
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney
Posts 312
Founder
Yendys replied on Sat, Feb 3 2018 11:25 AM
CB:

This is certainly the best advertisement I can imagine for the BS Shape and for Bang & Olufsen.

I’ve recently downsized to an apartment and can’t fit all my beo things in but desperately trying to fit a beosound shape in here from the photos in this thread. Keep them coming. Really enjoying how versatile the shape is in fitting in very different interior settings
w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Sat, Feb 3 2018 12:29 PM
It’s a great product and so versatile. I think it’s as important to B&O as the BeoSystem 2500 was around Breakpoint for the company.
BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Mon, Feb 5 2018 8:45 PM
Hi Opman

Thank you very much for all those pictures. Very inspiring Big Smile

I was wondering if you know whether the Beosound Shape can be installed as ceiling speakers?

I’m thinking of making cloud shapes for Dolby Atmos.
w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
BillC:

Hi Opman

Thank you very much for all those pictures. Very inspiring

I was wondering if you know whether the Beosound Shape can be installed as ceiling speakers?

I’m thinking of making cloud shapes for Dolby Atmos.

We recently installed a system on an angled ceiling, please note that it’s not recommended to fit the amplifiers horizontally, they need to be fitted vertically for heat dispersion.

As you’ll see the three amps are in the cluster of 4 units with the BS Core in this instance.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
w5bno123:

We recently installed a system on an angled ceiling, please note that it’s not recommended to fit the amplifiers horizontally, they need to be fitted vertically for heat dispersion.

As you’ll see the three amps are in the cluster of 4 units with the BS Core in this instance.

Quite gross imho
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Feb 5 2018 11:45 PM
StUrrock:

Quite gross imho

Certainly is an interesting look

BeoNut since '75

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Tue, Feb 6 2018 2:42 AM
Thanks w5bno123

Someone else mentioned that. Looks like I’ll need to follow your approach and attached the amps on the walls. Will need some thought but sounds like the speakers can be installed horizontally in my cloud Shape formation Big Smile

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Fri, Apr 27 2018 4:15 PM

We installed a smaller alternative BeoSound Shape at our showroom yesterday. This 9 tile arrangement is known as Downtown. It sounds great and it takes up no space at all. We even installed an Alexa Dot with the BS Core to provide that extra flexibility.
CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Apr 30 2018 5:23 PM

Hi Stuart and thanks for the picture Yes - thumbs up

According to your experience, which form sounds best?

Is the support wall material very important?

Page 2 of 4 (130 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS