Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound Shape

rated by 0 users
This post has 129 Replies | 4 Followers

nlanks
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Bronze Member

Here's my Shape - had it up and running since November. I must say I REALLY like it. Sound quality is great - much better than I expected actually. Bass response is very good too, better than the slimmer Beolab models (6000, 8000, 18 etc). It certainly sounded better to my ears than a pair of Beolab 17's. Beolab 3 was closer, but I think the acoustic lens helps that a lot. 

I love how genuinely different it looks aswell - no-one guesses it's a speaker system. In my mind it's the most B&O thing B&O have done in a long while.

I'm using a Squeezebox Touch via the Optical In for streaming - that way I get multi-room with the rest of my house, and the iPeng app is better than the B&O DLNA based app. I've then got a wall remote and table remote for Volume adjustment. The Optical IN has auto sensing, so the whole system comes on to the pre-set volume level as soon as I press play on the squeezebox or it's app.

Happy to answer any questions from prospective buyers.

P.s. must also say that Graham and Duncan at B&O Leeds were fantastic. Really friendly, helpful and enthusiastic - makes the whole buying and owning experience a pleasure.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Apr 30 2018 8:30 PM

Grey / Yellow is a nice combo. Thanks for the report nlanks Smile

nlanks:
Graham and Duncan at B&O Leeds were fantastic. Really friendly, helpful and enthusiastic - makes the whole buying and owning experience a pleasure.

I also think this is a great part of the purchase satisfaction Yes - thumbs up

How do you judge the sound quality when seated back to the wall?

nlanks
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Bronze Member
nlanks replied on Mon, Apr 30 2018 10:52 PM

CB:

How do you judge the sound quality when seated back to the wall?

Do you mean facing the Shape, but sat back against the rear wall? If so, bass can get s bit boomy as it reflects off the walls. Come forward a few feet and it all levels out.

Or do you mean back to the Shape? Not really listened to it they way, would always sit where the pictures been taken from.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, May 1 2018 6:45 AM
nlanks:
Or do you mean back to the Shape? Not really listened to it they way, would always sit where the pictures been taken from.

Yes, I mean this, seated in the armchair.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Tue, May 1 2018 11:16 AM
nlanks:

Here's my Shape - had it up and running since November. I must say I REALLY like it. Sound quality is great - much better than I expected actually. Bass response is very good too, better than the slimmer Beolab models (6000, 8000, 18 etc). It certainly sounded better to my ears than a pair of Beolab 17's. Beolab 3 was closer, but I think the acoustic lens helps that a lot.

I love how genuinely different it looks aswell - no-one guesses it's a speaker system. In my mind it's the most B&O thing B&O have done in a long while.

I'm using a Squeezebox Touch via the Optical In for streaming - that way I get multi-room with the rest of my house, and the iPeng app is better than the B&O DLNA based app. I've then got a wall remote and table remote for Volume adjustment. The Optical IN has auto sensing, so the whole system comes on to the pre-set volume level as soon as I press play on the squeezebox or it's app.

Happy to answer any questions from prospective buyers.

P.s. must also say that Graham and Duncan at B&O Leeds were fantastic. Really friendly, helpful and enthusiastic - makes the whole buying and owning experience a pleasure.

Your setup looks fantastic!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

w5bno123:

Your setup looks fantastic!

I agree...and the Squeezebox Touch is still a nice player setup.

If not for my integrated Essence 2nd gen, I would still use mine!

These colours in your room are very tasteful - almost tasty ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

nlanks
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Bronze Member
nlanks replied on Tue, May 1 2018 7:34 PM

Thanks everyone.

Yes the Squeezebox eco-system has not yet been bettered in my opinion - affordable, customisable, Toushscreen products and great 3rd party apps

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member

nlanks:

...Sound quality is great - much better than I expected actually. Bass response is very good too, better than the slimmer Beolab models (6000, 8000, 18 etc). It certainly sounded better to my ears than a pair of Beolab 17's. Beolab 3 was closer, but I think the acoustic lens helps that a lot. 

Hi nlanks,

How many speakers does your setup consist of?

nlanks:

excuse my ignorance, does this mean you dont use the core, but just the shape amp?

also, what type of remotes do you use, essence or other?

Thanks in advance,

//Goran

tigerisak
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Bronze Member

Any idea when support is coming for the BeoRemote One BT for the Beosound Shape?

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
CB:

Hi Stuart and thanks for the picture

According to your experience, which form sounds best?

Is the support wall material very important?

Hello and thanks. I had previously written a lengthy reply and accidentally closed the app on my phone before sending.

We decided to add the smaller Shape so it could be represented in the showroom. Having seen a lot of posts on Instagram and Facebook smaller Shapes are very popular. The big Shape we have is the equivalent to a pair of BL20 with a BSCore in price and sound and the 9 tile Shape is more in line with a pair of BL17 and BSCore.

Our larger Shape is fitted to a plasterboard wall and we found that there is zero vibration when playing music at high volume, the only issue we have is the suspended ceiling and tiles! The small Shape is mounted on a normal B&O in-store display panel and again no issues. If you’re fitting directly to a brick wall it will take longer to install due to plugging each hole and there’s 3 per star rail piece.

To give you an idea of sound equivalent speakers vs Shapes I thought these pictures would be useful.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, May 2 2018 8:32 PM

Strange positioning of the A9 : having both BL3 and A9, I doubt you’ll need 4 times as many speakers as the “BL3” setup to go to a A9 setup!

And B&O should not compare to the A9 if they want to sell some tiles, as the A9 is way cheaper than an 8-tile setup and can also be placed on the wall with a nice decoration effect! 

nlanks
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Bronze Member
nlanks replied on Thu, May 3 2018 7:53 AM

BeoLignage:

nlanks:

...Sound quality is great - much better than I expected actually. Bass response is very good too, better than the slimmer Beolab models (6000, 8000, 18 etc). It certainly sounded better to my ears than a pair of Beolab 17's. Beolab 3 was closer, but I think the acoustic lens helps that a lot. 

Hi nlanks,

How many speakers does your setup consist of?

nlanks:

excuse my ignorance, does this mean you dont use the core, but just the shape amp?

also, what type of remotes do you use, essence or other?

Thanks in advance,

//Goran

Ive got 4 speakers, 1 amp, 1 core (no blank tiles)

i still use the core, but not it’s streaming capability. The Squeezebox Touch goes into the optical in of the core. The core autidetects the optical in and switches to it. I still use the cores volume control, Bluetooth, Spotify connect and radio.

i don’t think it would be wise to bypass the core as that’s what delivers the algorithm to the amp.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
w5bno123:

To give you an idea of sound equivalent speakers vs Shapes I thought these pictures would be useful.

Great pictures !

Thanks so much.

I am sitting listening to my BL20s and it’s nice to see their value Smile

BeoNut since '75

tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 replied on Sun, May 6 2018 1:35 AM

I have a shape in my listening room as dampers.   No drivers, control, etc.  Just dampers. Looks great.  Improves the sound.  Uses no power.Smile

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, May 6 2018 8:33 AM
tom555:

I have a shape in my listening room as dampers. No drivers, control, etc. Just dampers. Looks great. Improves the sound. Uses no power.

How about a picture Tom? What speakers are you listening to in that room?
mrCTE
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Bronze Member
mrCTE replied on Mon, May 7 2018 9:41 AM

Ouais @mbee, it's very curious to make that comparison. 

@W5bno123 is that official B&O or did someone make their own comparison tool?

If so, any insight into this thinking from Mr Geoff Martin?

tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 replied on Mon, May 7 2018 9:43 AM

Duels:

How about a picture Tom? What speakers are you listening to in that room?

Sure.  We are still under construction and underdecorated but I'll put one up tomorrow.  Running Lab 5s, Lab 3s and 4000s.  Non-b&o preamp and TV.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
The comparison pictures are taken from an internal B&O online training course.
mrCTE
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Bronze Member
mrCTE replied on Tue, May 8 2018 8:06 AM

Thanks for the confirmation @w5bno123

Is it possible it's an error?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

w5bno123:

This does not say anything about ‘how these sound’ in comparison.

It is merely a question of SPL (Sound Pressure Level) - and could be a guideline, when you decide for a smaller og or bigger setup in a smaller or bigger room.

By a presentation in Struer a year ago (not quite) Jakob Dyreby gave a similar explanation of comparing - but only because he was ‘forced to’.

In the end one should choose the setup/system that works best in ones room, for the wished for purpose.

Some will need an A9, others will want an 8 speaker Shape.

MM

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

w5bno123:

This does not say anything about ‘how these sound’ in comparison.

It is merely a question of SPL (Sound Pressure Level) - and could be a guideline, when you decide for a smaller og or bigger setup in a smaller or bigger room.

By a presentation in Struer a year ago (not quite) Jakob Dyreby gave a similar explanation of comparing - but only because he was ‘forced to’.

In the end one should choose the setup/system that works best in ones room, for the wished for purpose.

Some will need an A9, others will want an 8 speaker Shape.

MM

It's not obvious from the slide that's what they meant, because I cannot imagine a wall of tiny speakers and DSP, not too unlike the Bose 901 of the 70s-90s, sounding anything like a pair of floor speakers in stereo. And as far as Shape vs BLs goes, I hope B&O isn't depending on Scandinavian women to buy them Wink 

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Tue, May 8 2018 3:43 PM
poodleboy:

It's not obvious from the slide that's what they meant, because I cannot imagine a wall of tiny speakers and DSP, not too unlike the Bose 901 of the 70s-90s, sounding anything like a pair of floor speakers in stereo. And as far as Shape vs BLs goes, I hope B&O isn't depending on Scandinavian women to buy them

BS9000, Essence, BeoLit12, MX4200, BL3000, BV11-55

I thought that too. That said - in the current lineup, with the exception of the 18, BLs are very... bulky? I’m guessing the Shape is targeted at “normal” people who just want unobtrusive, good enough sounding speakers that also serve as wall decoration they can install and forget about. I wouldn’t say no to a set tbh.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

poodleboy:

It's not obvious from the slide that's what they meant, because I cannot imagine a wall of tiny speakers and DSP, not too unlike the Bose 901 of the 70s-90s, sounding anything like a pair of floor speakers in stereo. And as far as Shape vs BLs goes, I hope B&O isn't depending on Scandinavian women to buy them Wink 

These slides were made to give some basic information to the dealership.

The BS Shape is not meant to be ‘like a pair of floor speakers’.

It is a different approach (at least it is meant to be) to how we/some of us live with sound (and design) in the future and now..

Exactly that is the reason for me writing, that the sheets were not about how the different sizes of the Shape sound compared to a regular stereo setup.

The A9 isn’t a regular setup either, by the way.

If you expect something like ‘a pair of floor speakers’, you are definitely not targeted with this system.

I am sure the interest in buying this sound concept isn’t limited to ‘scandinavian’ and ‘women’.

Speaking of ‘cannot imagine....sounding like’: did you listen to, experience the BS Shapes yourself - possibly even in different configurations?

MM

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Gold Member

I've read this thread and still have a 'newbie' question about the Shape:  does it provide a stereo image? 

As I get older I hear the high-end of the spectrum less Sad, so I appreciate even more other qualities in my music reproduction...like, e.g., accurate, stable stereo imaging. 

If I'm listening to the Shape, can I hear the orchestral instrument placement?  Can I hear the placement of the jazz quartet?  If I'm listening to electronic music, can I hear the spacial effects (sounds pan, divide and move across the stereo image, cross each other, etc.)? 

I appreciate any insight from those lucky enough to have heard the Shape.  With all of the store closings in the States, this is getting very hard to do.

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Thu, May 10 2018 11:24 PM

BeoFrederic:

I've read this thread and still have a 'newbie' question about the Shape:  does it provide a stereo image? 

It does, but not in the way that you're used to with a normal pair of loudspeakers. Because the Shape has many more loudspeakers than a normal stereo setup, just playing left and right channels to them as is wouldn't work. Instead, it uses a clever upmixing algorithm to essentially split the soundstage into multiple sections and distribute it to the available loudspeakers.

This not only utilises all of the loudspeakers, but the beneficial side effect is that whilst normal stereo requires you to sit in the "sweet spot" to prevent the image from collapsing to the nearest loudspeaker, BeoSound Shape has no sweet spot – things that are on the left in the sound image are played from the left side of the system, things in the centre from the middle, right from right, and everything in between. This means you can move around in the room and still place the instruments in their correct spots on the wall.

It's kind of uncanny at first, but it makes so much sense.

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Fri, May 11 2018 12:30 AM

MM, I am not as smart and "bought in" as you, but I will answer your challenges best as I can, in boldface. 

Millemissen:

poodleboy:

These slides were made to give some basic information to the dealership. Basic information that you are suggesting is not accurate? Such as not counting the number of shape speakers correctly in the BL20 comparison? I have never known B&O to bow to conventional thinking just to make a point. 

The BS Shape is not meant to be ‘like a pair of floor speakers’. Then why compare it to them and then get a B&O fan to explain to a fan site what they intended to show to dealers to share with potential customers? 

It is a different approach (at least it is meant to be) to how we/some of us live with sound (and design) in the future and now. "Wall of Sound" was a recording concept created in the 60's with layering and delays. Surely Geoff Martin (you probably have an informal salutation) could explain that. Shape is doing pretty much the same thing but with software. It's mood music with DSP. Great stuff but hardly revolutionary. And again, nearly exactly what Bose attempted with the 901. 

Exactly that is the reason for me writing, that the sheets were not about how the different sizes of the Shape sound compared to a regular stereo setup. How does one get that special awareness?

The A9 isn’t a regular setup either, by the way. Actually it is pretty normal. 2 Tweeters, 2 mids, rear-firing bass. Uses the convex shape to separate them. Very nice and simple, aka elegant. Sort of like the end of when B&O used power and style to accomplish what others couldn't fathom. 

If you expect something like ‘a pair of floor speakers’, you are definitely not targeted with this system. I didn't say I expected anything (particularly targeting), thank you, but I didn't make the comparison or try to explain it. And surely targeting by B&O marketing is not exactly world class. 

I am sure the interest in buying this sound concept isn’t limited to ‘scandinavian’ and ‘women’. I think that one went over your head but sorry, sarcasm is the lowest form of humour. 

Speaking of ‘cannot imagine....sounding like’: did you listen to, experience the BS Shapes yourself - possibly even in different configurations? Sadly, since my move and B&O's closing of so many stores, I am quite far from a store, but that's OK; There are as many YouTubes as there are installations, presumably. But, to your point, I cannot imagine. Is there anything wrong with me lacking the ability to imagine something, when I can imagine the soundstage of BL5 or BL20, or even BL50? Is Shape to replace all them, or are we just having a communication issue?

MM

I'll just go hump an 8000 I guess. 

mrCTE
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Bronze Member
mrCTE replied on Fri, May 11 2018 7:35 AM

@poodleboy you actually made me snort my man! Bravo!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

poodleboy:

MM, I am not as smart and "bought in" as you, but I will answer your challenges best as I can, in boldface. 

Millemissen:

poodleboy:

It's not obvious from the slide that's what they meant, because I cannot imagine a wall of tiny speakers and DSP, not too unlike the Bose 901 of the 70s-90s, sounding anything like a pair of floor speakers in stereo. And as far as Shape vs BLs goes, I hope B&O isn't depending on Scandinavian women to buy them Wink 

Speaking of ‘cannot imagine....sounding like’: did you listen to, experience the BS Shapes yourself - possibly even in different configurations? Sadly, since my move and B&O's closing of so many stores, I am quite far from a store, but that's OK; There are as many YouTubes as there are installations, presumably. But, to your point, I cannot imagine. Is there anything wrong with me lacking the ability to imagine something, when I can imagine the soundstage of BL5 or BL20, or even BL50? Is Shape to replace all them, or are we just having a communication issue?

MM

I'll just go hump an 8000 I guess. 

Wow - I did not expect my post to create that much attention - was it really a ‘challenge’?

As for ‘revolutionary’ and for the concept of the Bose 901, I can’t say anything, since I have no personal experience with the Bose.

From reading however, it seems to be a rather different concept.

Maybe Jakob Dyreby could comment on that, if he were present on the forum.

Whether one finds that the Shape is just offering ‘mood music’ or anything else, is up to the user to judge, I guess.....

.....or at least to those who have listened.

I see no problem in B&O offering a system with another approach than a set of (the other B&O) standalone speakers.

Why should that mean ‘replacing’ something?

Who are buying this stuff, I am sure a dealer (who are on Beoworld) could tell us.

By the way - what brings Geoff Martin to this party.....apart from maybe being able to explain the Wall of Sound concept of the Phil Spector 60’es recordings?

All is good - have fun with humping your 8000.

MM

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Bronze Member
Alsfeld replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 10:11 PM

Does anybody know, if it is possible to set up Dolby Surround for example 7.1.4 with the Beosound Shape?
Theoretically a maximum of 20 speakers within one Shape set up should be sufficient for the speakers at ear level and height level, but is the Beosound Core cable to control it?

Are there alternatives to the Beosound Core to control such a scenario?

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Wed, Aug 1 2018 12:29 AM
I think it can be done but you do it directly to the amps and leave out the core and has to be wired. So basically you use an amp per channel and asign that to the given l/r/c/lr/rr with the speakers attached to that specific amp. It’s a bit of hassle really, but i think it can be doneStick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Aug 1 2018 12:44 AM

tom555:

I have a shape in my listening room as dampers.   No drivers, control, etc.  Just dampers. Looks great.  Improves the sound.  Uses no power.Smile

Slip a BeoLit 15 in the corner, cover it in acoustic cloth, invite your friends round, tell them the Shape has got a magic processor which throws the sound directly and accurately from the wall to the very corner of the room - then sit back and drum your fingers in satisfaction as they all nod sagely.

Big Smile

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member

Big Smile  Big Smile  Mono ***

tigerisak
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Bronze Member
tigerisak replied on Tue, Oct 16 2018 8:12 AM

Any news when the Beoremote One BT will work with the Shape?

nlanks
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Bronze Member
nlanks replied on Fri, Nov 2 2018 11:34 PM

I’d like to know this too. The essence remotes drop out too often.

tigerisak
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Bronze Member

Bumbing my questions once again. Does anyone knows when the Beoremote One BT will work with the Shape?

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

that's a good question!

i guess if a BeoRemote One BT works with a Core? it would work with a Shape?

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I think I remember a video mentioning it does

I’ll take a look again and respond
SteveCuz
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
SteveCuz replied on Thu, May 30 2019 11:27 PM

Hi Guys, some great info on here. Felt I should add this question to a current thread as opposed to opening a new one.

re Shape can I connect my TV or Sky TV box to it?

I was ready to pull the trigger but then realised the optical connection is to connect the core to the amp so that is out. I can see a line input jack but was wondering how this would sound.

I'm not looking for surround sound or anything too clever but have always run my TV through external speakers or even a sound bar but if I install the shape on my wall I won't want to have another speaker setup for the TV

Thanks

Steve

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You can connect the tv (or the box) using the toslink out there to the toslink in of the BS Core of the Shape.

The mentioned ‘line input port’ can be used for optical with a small adapter piece.

This input has auto detection - means it will turn on the speakers (the Shape), once you start the tv/box.

MM

Page 3 of 4 (130 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS