Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

LG 2019 OLED TV- WiSA Wireless- Soundbar- Dolby Atmos audio.

This post has 965 Replies | 3 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Thu, Feb 21 2019 3:37 PM | Locked

@ Sandy

This might be part of the ‘problem’...

Peter Pan does not ‘enjoy an integrated multi room B&O setup.’

His setup is a one room BV7-40 MK3 setup with an additional MCL-based set of speakers (from an oldschool BS9300), that are hardly used.

His main setup for audio/listening is a set of Dynaudio Xeo speakers.

To understand the difficulties for B&O for a future A/V integration without personal experience with recent products is of course hard for him....

....and basicly not of interest - not 

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Feb 21 2019 3:51 PM | Locked

Thanks for the detail and yes, I inferred a similar conclusion.

Begs the question though - if a one room movie / TV setup is what he is seeking to bring up to date, just get on and do it.....there have long been ways to pick a top quality (or whichever) 3rd party TV, and hook them up to a set of B&O speakers.  Other forum members have, and mostly been content enough. If I was happy to isolate a one room setup and update it for modern TV specs, I would have just done it by now.

I can't quite believe aesthetics are of paramount importance to him, so go ahead is what I say.

On a related note, I'm heading off to see the store (I mentioned earlier) that had hooked up this new Linn network player (non amped) to some BL18s. I'm really interested to see how it sounds musically as a combo. I've heard the Linn (amped version) with some good passive speakers, and it was extremely nice.  I'll report back with my honest impressions is a separate thread once done, if anyone is interested. 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Feb 21 2019 9:09 PM | Locked

SandyB:
Thanks for the detail and yes, I inferred a similar conclusion.

Yes about that describes - Click here.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Feb 21 2019 9:38 PM | Locked

looking at that setup, there is only one question.........why?

Why do that?

Life could have been so much easier....

It's like Frankenstein and Salvador Dali had a child.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Feb 21 2019 10:20 PM | Locked

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 2:30 PM | Locked

Today, my B&O dealer told me that few people are interested in buying a speaker setup for 5.1. or 7.1. Surround sound.
However, this is not my impression on BeoWorld. But if that's right, the WiSA solution won't sell much to B&O.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 2:56 PM | Locked

Yes, I think that's the general feedback - 5.1 is becoming a bit less popular.

Unsurprising - there is a reason why sound bars, even more capable ones, are so popular.

And it explains why Panasonic, LG etc are designing their top flagship TV's as self contained and not designed to be integrated into home theatre setups.

Look even at the recently announced flagship Panasonic GZ2000 - pro OLED panel, built in Atmos upfiring speakers etc etc - a self contained all in one product, not really intended for integrating in a 5.1 set up.

People on forums like this are a subset of a niche - i.e. not necessarily representative.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 3:28 PM | Locked

Hmmmm - I guess a lot of these people don’t even know how a genuine 5.1 setup sounds.

Besides why should people want 5.1 setups for their diningroom, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom.

- places where people earlier on did not even had anything but a clockradio.

Be glad that your dealer sells more all-in-one BeoSystems and BT speakers....

....5.1/7.1 has never been a mainstream product.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 3:54 PM | Locked

Agreed, though we can see that its becoming even more niche....

Not that I would give up multi channel setups....

But I know no-one with a 5.1 set up - those that did ditch them a while ago once families sprouted, and it's not for a lack of funds. 

Ok, I'll amend that - of the 15 households I am close to 1 out of the 15 has a 5.1 set up.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sat, Feb 23 2019 7:34 AM | Locked

No soundbars are powerful / fully developed. The principle is wrong, the distance is wrong,
the sound directions are wrong, the speakers are too small, the amplifiers are too small.
They will could never replace the well-known 5.1 surround setup. Everything below 250
Watts 8 Ohm per. channel, is only for the garage. Unfortunately, it has become a fashion
that the speaker must not be seen. Angry

Friends - How to do it. If you give time to listen to music.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Sat, Feb 23 2019 11:20 AM | Locked

Funny - at home with the Pan’s the tv isn’t even allowed to be seen 😂

How about some rollable speakers 😉

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sat, Feb 23 2019 3:02 PM | Locked

@ Millemissen - You can then just roll with your speaker, or eat them.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Feb 23 2019 3:11 PM | Locked
Hi everyone,

Twenty-five pages already. Mmm.

I for one can’t be bothered with those 5.1 setups. I hate that cinema sound (the effects are absurd, especially in a movie theatre) and I prefer by far a good stereo sound for my TV or my music - which are completely independent setups at my place, by the way.

Atmos is just good for gamers, in my opinion. Oh yes, and 5.1 is good to sell more speakers, maybe.

For my TV, one good old pair of Beolab 6000 columns are more than enough, too loud if anything.

I rest my case.

Jacques

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Feb 23 2019 6:38 PM | Locked

chartz:
Hi everyone,

Twenty-five pages already. Mmm.

I for one can’t be bothered with those 5.1 setups. I hate that cinema sound (the effects are absurd, especially in a movie theatre) and I prefer by far a good stereo sound for my TV or my music - which are completely independent setups at my place, by the way.

Atmos is just good for gamers, in my opinion. Oh yes, and 5.1 is good to sell more speakers, maybe.

For my TV, one good old pair of Beolab 6000 columns are more than enough, too loud if anything.

I rest my case.

You'll get nowhere talking sense here mate!Laughing

Ban boring signatures!

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Feb 23 2019 7:02 PM | Locked

Okay then, I’ll keep quiet. 

I can’t believe you posted 11000 messages already! 

Jacques

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 7:16 AM | Locked

@ chartz
I am glad you are still listening to stereo and do not settle for 360 degrees of sound. The result of surround sound is determined
by how to get it. A good movie from Netflix or DVD / Blu-ray disc from an OPPO Player provides really good surround sound.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 8:20 AM | Locked

chartz:

Okay then, I’ll keep quiet. 

I can’t believe you posted 11000 messages already! 

He was complimenting you! 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 8:27 AM | Locked

I know, I was being ironical! I should have used a smiley, sorry.

Jacques

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 8:33 AM | Locked

It is gratifying for the surround fan that the LG 2019 4K OLED versions have Dolby Atmos decoder for 4.2 surround.
LG TV OLED65R9 communicates this from a 4.2 speaker system built into the stand = a soundbars. Clear it solution
we have won with BeoVision TV for many years, where 5.1 / 7.1 surround is communicated with the possibility Cable
connection has given us the greatest freedom of choice with regard to speaker connection. WiSA 5.1 speaker solution
is wireless but also a system that binds us. So, to get that freedom of choice back, it's only by joining one surround
receiver. ?  WiSA-Click here.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 8:57 AM | Locked

Yes - with hardly any WISA speakers on the market, and very few TV's able to use WISA - this is all very limiting and constrained.

A receiver opens up the choice, if you can't wait to see what B&O has to offer.

This point numerous times - it is very far from a dream scenario.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 9:16 AM | Locked

In search of new surround for active BeoLab speaker.

Adapter cables here.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 9:29 AM | Locked

@ Sandyb

They told the B&O store that B&O has a plan, and that is always something. ;-) They didn't mean that
they would get the LG Signature 65 "R9 OLED TV in the store. At some point they will get LG's TV in
the store, and maybe even with a new SoundCenter. - There are many rumors.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 12:50 PM | Locked

chartz:

I know, I was being ironical! I should have used a smiley, sorry.

Yes - thumbs up - "already" since 2007!Laughing

Ban boring signatures!

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 9:54 PM | Locked

LG Signature 55" R9 OLED TV. LG might well have done more with the LG Signature R9's design. ?

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 7:46 AM | Locked

Why is eARC now integrated into LG 2019 OLED TV. Because it offers new opportunities like -
Loss-free audio (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA). Correction of "lip sync", ie sync between
picture and sound, From ARC, Bandwidth expands from approx. 2-3Mb / s in ARC to 37 Mb /
s in eARC. In other words, 7.1 surround and lossless HD audio can be transmitted.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Feb 26 2019 6:59 AM | Locked

My wife knows what I need.  One LG scroll-tv to approx. 55.000 Euro.

Flexible displays are here to shape the future. -  Click here.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 7:08 AM | Locked

Peter Pan's design idea for a Bang & Olufsen WiSA compatible Center speaker missing in their portfolio.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Feb 28 2019 5:40 AM | Locked

I have not taken a position on how B & O's innovation center will draw one center speaker for production.
But based my design idea on that manyare happy with BeoLab 18 with wooden slats, so that it fits in with
the design.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Fri, Mar 1 2019 2:56 AM | Locked
I think I’d prefer an updated Beolab 7.4 with matching lamella to the Beolab 18 on the front.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Mar 1 2019 6:20 AM | Locked

Hi DMacri

I use BeoLab 7-4 myself and am very pleased with it. But I think a WiSA updated Beolab 7.4 under a 65" screen
will give a very high screen placement, maybe too high. Then one will update BeoLab 7 - 6. Look better, I think.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Mar 1 2019 6:35 AM | Locked

DMacri:
I think I’d prefer an updated Beolab 7.4 with matching lamella to the Beolab 18 on the front.

Or how about a 55" on floor Stand ? - It looks like something we know. Smile

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:56 AM | Locked
The point of a center channel speaker is to anchor the dialogue to the screen for all viewers. This is best handled by a single point source, not a stereo speaker, or a speaker with a wide horizontal spread of the drivers. So in my thinking, a more concentrated source would be a better choice than a stereo speaker or vertical speaker laying on its side.

The Beolab 7.1 and 7.2 should be considered great stereo soundbars, but not proper center channel speakers. Maybe that’s just my narrow view. Stick out tongue

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Mar 1 2019 12:43 PM | Locked

@ DMacri

Stereo connection to B&O supply one new WiSA  speaker.

Beer

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Fri, Mar 1 2019 1:42 PM | Locked
I understand it can be converted to a summed mono signal, but the fact is you have two speakers separated by about a meter that are playing the same signal. There will be some “smearing” of the sound caused by the distance related delay from that separation that wouldn’t happen if you had a single mono speaker. I just think it would perform better.

Dom

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Mar 1 2019 3:05 PM | Locked

@ DMacri

Yes - So until it becomes necessary to change the center speaker, we enjoy the sound of our BeoLab 7- 4.

My BeoLab 7- 4 has now delivered sound from my TV without problems, everyday for 10 years.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Mar 3 2019 6:08 AM | Locked

Mavven:
BL 7.4, 17, 18, 19.

Millemissen:
So, that is how it finally looks like!
Very nice, indeed - must sound great too.....even with a non-B&O A/V processor.

@ Millemissen

So you've finally realized a non-B&O A / V processor can also be used. ( Marantz AV7704.)  Smile  Yes - thumbs up

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Sun, Mar 3 2019 9:08 AM | Locked

It is always easy to make things look nice, if you hide away the uncomfortable, ugly things.....including the needed remotes.

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Mar 3 2019 11:18 AM | Locked

Mavven - Center speaker for BL17,18,19 setup - Interested parties can get the whole story - Click here.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Mon, Mar 4 2019 9:52 PM | Locked

LG 2019 TV's: 8K, 4K, OLED, LCD – everything you need to know . . . . .

Your A to Z of LG’s 2019 TVs 8K, Rollable 4K, OLED and LCD – LG is ticking all the TV boxes in 2019.
So, we've come up with a useful guide to the key models we can expect to see over the next 12 months.

It’s still a bit early to say which are the best LG TVs in 2019 and which should definitely go down on your
shortlist, but we've laid out all the sizes, features and tech highlights for you to absorb.

You’ll find all this information below and we’ll be adding more information to this list as and when we get it,
including prices and release dates. LG 2019 TVs: What's new ?

LG's premium 2019 TVs are powered by the company's new Alpha 9 Gen 2 processing engine. It features
across all five OLED ranges and also powers LG's 75in SM99 8K LCD TV. This latest Alpha 9 chip combines
with LG's two-pronged approach to tackling picture and sound quality on its 2019 TVs.

AI Picture optimises the picture by consulting a look-up table of content and comparing it to the incoming
signal. The TV then adjusts the image automatically to deliver what it believes is the most accurate picture.
It's a system similar to one already used by some rival TV manufacturers, including Panasonic and Sony.

The technology also uses an advanced ambient light sensor which can adjust the TV’s tone mapping curve
based on your lighting conditions. The tech works on two levels depending on the content being shown. With
SDR content it adjusts the overall panel brightness, but with HDR content it can adjust the picture to an ever
finer degree.

LG's AI Sound technology introduces more advanced audio processing to LG's 2019 TVs. It gives compatible
sets the ability to upmix a stereo signal into virtual 5.1 surround sound. LG's sets can also take into account
the specifics of your room layout and acoustics, and tweak the sound accordingly.

As was the case with LG's 2018 premium OLED and LCD models, Dolby Atmos (and Dolby Vision) support
is included. LG 2019 TV features.

The arrival of HDMI 2.1 inputs on LG's 2019 TVs means support for 4K resolution and high frame rates (HFR)
up to 120 frames per second is now included. The sockets also bring with them eARC support and they're
also compatible with variable refresh rate (VRR).

Select LG TVs, including its entire OLED range and premium NanoCell LCD models will have Apple AirPlay 2
and HomeKit support. This doesn't go quite as far as Samsung, whose 2019 TVs will actually boast a
dedicated iTunes app, but LG claims that you'll still be able to enjoy Apple’s 4K HDR content (including Dolby
Vision and Atmos) through compatible TVs. We’ve asked LG for clarification on how this will  work.

For 2019, LG's smart TV system is getting a boost in power. Google Assistant and Alexa support is built-in,
with LG promising more contextual conversations compared to its 2018 models.

Press the dedicated mic button to interact with ThinQ AI and the TV decides whether it can carry out the
command or if it’s one for the Google Assistant. To use Alexa, press the dedicated Alexa button on the remote.

On the audio side, all of LG's OLED and flagship LCD sets are WiSA (Wireless Speaker and Audio) Ready.
The technology allows for wireless streaming of up to eight channels of uncompressed 24-bit audio and also
includes support for formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.OLED TV

At CES 2019, LG officially announced five new ranges of OLED TV – Z9, R9, W9, E9 and C9 – with screen
sizes ranging from 55in to 88in.

The big news is that we can expect to see both 8K OLED (Z9) and 4K rollable OLED TVs (R9) go on sale this
year. Z9 and R9 are due to land in the latter half of the year with the former available in a mammoth 88in screen
size and the latter as a 65in set.

The OLED88Z9 comes with its own stand which carries all the connections and a built-in soundbar. It can also
be wall-mounted. Meanwhile, LG's physics-defying OLED65R9 rolls up into its own TV stand which doubles as
a wireless speaker.

2018's 'G' range has been jettisoned, presumably to make way for the rollable and 8K sets, while E9 continues
LG's 'picture on glass' design, with slight refinements to the amount of glass on display and the speaker
configuration used.

Although it's yet to be officially confirmed, LG hinted at CES that an additional B9 range could arrive later in the
year. This entry-level range usually uses a slightly lower-powered processor compared to its siblings.

Of Whathifi.com

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Mar 5 2019 4:33 AM | Locked

LG 2019 TVs will receive AirPlay 2 & HomeKit update in mid-2019 - Click here.

Page 10 of 25 (966 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS