Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Car Talk

rated by 0 users
This post has 304 Replies | 4 Followers

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal Posted: Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:55 PM

Apologies if there was another thread / forum in existence... I was too lazy to search.

Stemming from the V1 Thread it seems like cars would be a nice topic to chat about. So here's a thread starter. 

I've got a 2014 Mini (my first MINI), my wife's got an old Prius she's had for years since new, now with over 120K miles on it. I love my MINI and the go-kart feel, as well as the tech. The MINI iDrive controller is great, and I love the fact that software can be updated to add new features and modify the performance should I want to do that -- I know this may be the case with many cars today, but it is new for a car of mine.

I love the eco-friendly nature of the Prius, and the car is bulletproof, seriously, but it is like driving a breadbox on wheels! LOL 

When it comes time for a new car for the wife, I'm steering her to at least test drive the BMW i3 as one of her candidates. I love the look and the tech. The Tesla would be the perfect car, but way out of our budget. We both like smallish cars, and appreciate the hatchback design language. 

I wish the US had European sensibilities for many things, cars for one. 3 door hatchbacks, station wagons, etc. The US needs more choices! :-)

So some questions to start:

What cars do you own? Have you owned?

What is the best / most fun car you've ever owned / driven?

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Maybe not what you'd like to hear, but basically definitely cars from before around 1995. I personally like old Mercs, but there are also many other great makes around. Cheers!

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Fri, Mar 20 2015 8:40 PM

I like small cars as I find them more funny. Right now I own a Toyota Hybrid Yaris. I replaced my Alfa Romeo MiTo TCT turbo for it... Both are very pleasant to drive but in a different way. MiTo was quite powerful and very nice on mountain roads and german unlimited highways but needed too much fuel according to my 'ecological fiber' (I never managed to go under 9l/100km and in the city during winter it was 12l...). Yaris is exactly the opposite but quite nervous in the city and very silent. Of course on the highway it's not the same but I drive 95% of the time in the city. Without paying attention it needs only 4-5.5l/100km and maintenance is really a bargain! 

Next one will probably be a... classic 3 doors automatic Mini Cooper but I'll wait a bit to see if an hybrid arrives. Also I'm not very optimistic as the dealer told me that the hybrid could come but only in the Countryman as there isn't enough space in the classic for the hybrid technology.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

My first car was a VW Golf mk3 1995 modell with 1,8liter, 90hp, and automatic transmission.

The dream car at the time was the Mk3 VR6, which was way to expensive at the time for me.

I live in the city, and have no use for a car, but last year when I turned 30 I bought myself one as a present. Was able to fulfill my dream for not too much money (I thought, had to buy a new engine).

Whenever I walk towards my car to drive, I am jumping inside like a little kid.

Firing up 2,8 liters with 174hp, manual transmission, with a curb weight of 1207kg ALWAYS puts a smile on my face. 

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Mar 20 2015 10:29 PM

What an awesome thread! My first ever car was the original little MINI Cooper which I loved. My worst ever was a BMW 3 series as it cost me a fortune in servicing, repairs and depreciation. It was made on a Friday afternoon as everything went wrong with it. Since 2005, I've had MINI Coopers which I seriously can't fault. The first one, I drove 40,000 miles in the first year purely motorway driving. I was working at a radio station in Liverpool, so i'd drive back home on a Friday night and then i'd drive up to the Lake District every Wednesday. They are like driving a go kart and have a personality like a beautiful dog :)

Right now I have an Audi A3 Sport Sedan which does everything perfectly but without much soul. It has the B&O sound system in and is eco friendly. Its the petrol 1.4 cylinder on demand 7 speed S Tronic. £20 a year car tax and 52-55mpg!!!

I'm incredibkly eco aware more and more each year. I see how clogged the roads are and I still can't get my head around the fact that in 2015, we put a fuel in a car that then spits out cancerous pollution into the air that we then breathe in order to stay alive. For me, it's crazy. I've been a competing Natural Bodybuilder since I was 18/19 and I like to use my body for sport - I love surfing and I try to bike everywhere now which, my goodness really shapes the legs incredibly and cleans out the lungs etc.

I'm disgusted with Range Rovers and 4x4s as to me it shows zero consideration for pedestrians, cyclists and my gosh, the environment with the gas gushing engines.

There is a new smaller MINI being produced with Toyota as we speak. Called the MINI Minor, its based on the Rocketman concept. This will have the Toyota Hybrid engine in it. Still maybe 2 years away, but this is the MINI that i've been waiting for and really want. From now on, it's hybrid for me, just to make me feel a little happier in terms of the environment.

The MINI suits me because of its charm, personality, style and iconic design - thats important to me. When I have children, then i'd have an Audi A3 Sportback (and a MINI also :)

I've always had the upgraded speaker option. I think my favourite is the Harmon Kardon in the MINI's. It just seems to sound right! In my young days, 10 years ago, I was really into BLAUPUNKT for my car stereos. The one in my first MINI even had Dolby C and an electric aerial :) Boy, did it sound great :)

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 3:46 AM

This is great! Thanks for everyone who has participated thus far.

I own a 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop (F56), my wife's car is a 2009 Toyota Prius. We've been strictly reliable Japanese car people until a few years ago when I had a little early mid life crisis and purchased a 2011 Audi TT (pre-owned). The MINI has replaced the Audi.

The best / most fun car I've every owned is a tie between the TT and the MINI. The TT has the looks and speed, but there's just something about the MINI which puts a different kind of smile on my face. Before the two German cars, I've always owned Japanese, as mentioned above. I don't think I could ever go back. The Audi quattro system was amazing, but when we moved to California from the Midwest of the US, I had to make a change at the time due to the gas prices. I had never tried a MINI before, and a coworker who was active in the MINI user's community told me I HAD to test drive one. It was love at first drive. And the technology knocked the socks off the old tech of the TT.

I plan on driving the MINI until the wheels fall off. But the new TT (not yet in the US), is soooo attractive. 

Here in the US, there's this sentiment that German Cars are more trouble than they're worth, especially when they're out of warranty. That may be true, but so far in the 3+ years I've owned German cars, they have been ZERO trouble and 100 fun. 

I mentioned in the other thread that I wish the US had the tastes in cars that the EU has. For example, the BMW 1 series 3-door hatchback, Audi A1 / S1... MINI is the only attractive 3-door hatchback option. All the other hot hatches like the Ford Fiesta / Focus aren't very good looking in my opinion. And there's just something about american cars which puts me off. Ugh. If i had my way, the A1/S1 would be the car I'd be driving if it was available.

The thought of a MINI hybrid is very nice. Even nicer is the rumor that MINI is contemplating putting the Superleggera concept into production. Yum Yum!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 7:58 AM

Hi Sal, 

you said "Here in the US, there's this sentiment that German Cars are more trouble than they're worth, especially when they're out of warranty. That may be true, but so far in the 3+ years I've owned German cars, they have been ZERO trouble and 100 fun. " 

the German car manufacturers are perceived in Europe as having good engineering and they have a very good relationship with the press. The big German motoring organisation ADAG was uncovered fixing its "Germans favourite car" contest by making up votes . And the VW ad budget is way above other companies , which helps . BMW has a problem with the floorpan on 5 series breaking where the drivers seat bolts into it . By they're having none of it when customers ask. 

Back to VW , the big banks who underwrite their resale in Europe have told them they are junk status as they are overproducing too many models and put them into junk status for being inefficient in their range structure. But they appear to be trying to ride it out until another euro maker withers.

anyway , I drive an Alfaromeo Giulietta I bought new in 2011.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Brian
Not Ranked
California
Posts 72
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 9:48 AM

Simonbeo:
...Back to VW , the big banks who underwrite their resale in Europe have told them they are junk status as they are overproducing too many models....

At least here in Germany, a basic Golf 7 costs 16.975€ and can go up to almost 30.000€ without extra options. If the Golf price kept pace with inflation, it should not cost more than 10.368€, according to an article in Focus Magazine. Most young people (myself included) have been priced out of the new-car market. To be fair to VW, a lot of the added cost is due to higher taxes and stricter environmental and safety standards. If I were in the market for a small- to mid-size VW, I would take a hard look at Skoda (a VW subsidiary). IMHO Skoda is much closer today to what VW was 20 or 30 years ago.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder

I have a 2013 Prius for work - quiet, comfortable, good fuel consumption around town and lots of useful toys. My wife has an old Toyota Aygo as she commutes into town and the small town car is ideal. We also have a Toyota Camry estate - this replaced a previous Camry estate which we bought new in 1993. This is the dogs' car! When the last one needed a new fuel tank due to corrosion, the price was more than the car was worth! We bought the present one on eBay as the Camry is no longer available and it had been such a great car. This one lacks a couple of the toys of the first as it is actually 2 years older but is still superb! It can take 4 basset hounds fairly easily!

I have two other cars - a Triumph GT6 convertible, which is a 1972 model but was essentially built for me in 1999 and was shown as the Classic Car Show that year. And finally, I have a 1971 Morris Traveller which will be my daughter's when she passes her test!!

Peter

beopiranha
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 125
Bronze Member
beopiranha replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 10:42 AM

To claim "being incredibly eco aware" and want a new car because of less CO2 somehow sounds childish!

New production car creates 25 tonnes of CO2. With 100 gr/km you need to drive your car at least 250.000 Km to reach the same! 

Nobody should talk about ecology as long as they just talk about but not act with the responsibility. 

You want to save the world? Than stop consuming!!! 

I drive RRS, Mercedes GL and BMW 640 Convertible! Not that eco friendly by the way! I'll post the pictures on Tuesday when I'm home again.

Beovision Avant 55 / BV 11-40 / BV7-40 / Beovision Avant / Beosound 9000 / Beosound 5 Encore / Beosystem 4500 / Beosystem 6500 / Beocenter 9000 / Beolab 5000 / Beolab 18 / Beolab 19 / Beolab 11 / Beolab 17 / 3 sets of Beolab 4000 / Beovox Red Line 60.2 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 11:00 AM

On the subject of previous cars - I have had a few!

1. VW Golf N 1974 - my first car donated by my parents - The N stands for nothing! Speedo and fuel gauge , rubber mats, no rear wiper, no headrests, 4 speed gearbox and a wonderful 1100 engine - Great car but rusted like sin. Would have one again if you could find one.

2. Triumph TR7 convertible 1971 - bought as a first year doctor. Badly made and very heavy to drive - came with 4 different tyres and span at the first wet roundabout I encountered (I was driving it like a Golf!) Changed tyres and much much better ! Eventually swapped the engine to a Dolomite Sprint one and this was great. Sold to buy my wife an engagement ring! (Didn't quite cover the costs!) I think I replaced almost everything on this car in the time I had it!!

3. Mini Racing Green - 1988 - Mini 1000 with green body and white roof - hilarious car - would do 'p' mph (the speedo went up to 80 I think and the needle would reach the p of mph which was on the 6 o'clock position on the speedo! Bumpers used to rust like crazy and were replaced 3 times on warranty.

4. Fiat X/19VS - really my wife's but she used to take the mini leaving me with this! Hideously unreliable with a distributor that always came loose and span around!! Great when it worked but that was infrequent!

5. Mini Cooper - one of the first of the new release iof the old Mini. 1.3 litre engine - no faster than the Racing Green and was clearly one of the first made as it had one front seat from a cooper and one from a Racing Green (the pattern on the material is up and down on the cooper and side to side on the green!!) Staggeringly badly made!

6. Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL - again a car my wife had - this time a company car. Very big, fairly slow and very boring.

7. Honda Beat - personal import - wonderful car - mad 660cc three cylinder engine which revved to over 10,000rpm. Sounded great. No boot space , passenger seat smaller than driver's seat both zebra striped!

8. VW Golf GTi 16V - last of the small bumpered Mk 2 models- heavy as no power steering but very fast. Kept on being stolen though not successfully! Because of that, very expensive to insure!!

9. Toyota Camry Estate 3.0GX - brilliant car - very fast, huge, quiet, well made. Eventually scrapped because fuel tank rusted and cost of tank was more than car worth!

10. VW Polo 1.3 1988 - the bread van one - used for wombling round practice - I really liked it - written off when someone drove into the driver's door at speed - moved the driver's seat 6" to the middle - Police said if I had been in a Metro, i would have been dead.

11. Honda Accord Aerodeck Auto - very comfortable and very reliable - slow - biggest seats I have come across! I gave it to one of my receptionists eventually!

12. Mercedes A170 LWB Avantage - brilliant design - mine was diesel and automatic and was good to drive. Badly built and rusted!!

13. Toyota Prius 2006 - the Mk 2 version - little bit wacky inside but very reliable.

14. 1969 Triumph GT6 coupe Mk 2 - two tone grey - leaked more than a convertible and very noisy! Was a stop gap whilst waiting for my convertible.

Now have what mentioned in previous post!!

Best car - the Camry estate.

Worst car - The X/19

Peter

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 11:59 AM

Brian:

Simonbeo:
...Back to VW , the big banks who underwrite their resale in Europe have told them they are junk status as they are overproducing too many models....

At least here in Germany, a basic Golf 7 costs 16.975€ and can go up to almost 30.000€ without extra options. If the Golf price kept pace with inflation, it should not cost more than 10.368€, according to an article in Focus Magazine. Most young people (myself included) have been priced out of the new-car market. To be fair to VW, a lot of the added cost is due to higher taxes and stricter environmental and safety standards. If I were in the market for a small- to mid-size VW, I would take a hard look at Skoda (a VW subsidiary). IMHO Skoda is much closer today to what VW was 20 or 30 years ago.

That would appear to be the plan; VW , the peoples car moves up market. After all ,everybody feels premium nowadays. Skoda takes over. 

But it's how VW survives with 14 different Golf bodyshells where Ford has two for the Focus which intrigues me. They are creating sharper body panels which are requiring reworks in the factory and still apparently profitable as a group. Audi is making former-VW quality cars and making 10 percent profit and Czech salaries are lower , but how do they do it? The banks are asking the same question . 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 761
Bronze Member
beaker replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 12:28 PM
I always vowed to never drive a car younger than me and kept that idea going for quite a while by driving 60's cars. I had a Hillman SuperMinx and a Sunbeam Rapier which was great. Then I went a bit crazy and got a boy racer type car which was an imported Toyota Starlet Glanza which after a change of turbo and a few other tweaks was making 221BHP from its 1.3 engine. It only weighed 900kg so it had insanely quick acceleration. I rapidly accrued penalty points on my driving licence so disposed of it before I got banned and went back to my love of old cars and now drive a Volvo Amazon.

The crazy Starlet.

A lot more sensible.
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

The Prius is catching on amongst gangsters and thugs in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJjTEmXaf8

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 2:15 PM

Beopiranha of course you'd argue that, your cars are some of the most polluting, fuel consuming cars on the market with the highest CO2 emisions :) At least for my business, i've gone for the most economical petrol based car there is in that category. I don't think an old car would be safe for my motorway mileage plus an old car puts out a lot of pollution. At least most of the time I cycle everywhere :) :) :) 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 2:29 PM

Paul W:

Beopiranha of course you'd argue that, your cars are some of the most polluting, fuel consuming cars on the market with the highest CO2 emisions :) At least for my business, i've gone for the most economical petrol based car there is in that category. I don't think an old car would be safe for my motorway mileage plus an old car puts out a lot of pollution. At least most of the time I cycle everywhere :) :) :) 

What bike have you got Paul ?

ive a Bianchi MTB and a Campagnolo equipped  road bike and my veteran custom built touring bike. 

Good to see so much of whole life Eco considerations with cars . 

Brian
Not Ranked
California
Posts 72
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 4:06 PM

Simonbeo:
That would appear to be the plan; VW , the peoples car moves up market....They are creating sharper body panels which are requiring reworks in the factory and still apparently profitable as a group....

That's exactly the problem. If I had 20 to 30K to spend on a new Golf, then I would also be considering an entry-level BMW or an Audi. If the new Golf ran between 10K to 15K it would be in Skoda territory - and a lot of people would choose the Skoda.

As for 14 different body styles, VW buys almost all of their components from suppliers and has the volume to get a better deal than most other car makers-but that's just speculation on my part. Arguably the bigger problem is that VW runs multiple assembly plants around the world, each making variations on the same chassis. But with currency fluctuations, politics, and individual market preferences, there's also a strong business argument to be made for producing closer to the end consumer.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 6:36 PM

All manufacturers buy in virtually everything but bodyshells and engines from suppliers , not just VW . The suppliers are often the same as Ford , GM , Mercedes and BMW.

VW had to buy parts from GM for a while in settlement of a curruption case General Motors took out against them ( the Lopez case where they hired a guy who stole info on departure from GM to join VW , google it)

BMW have some cars , Mini Clubman and X1 outsourced entirely to suppliers. 

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 9:12 PM

I'm disgusted with Range Rovers and 4x4s as to me it shows zero consideration for pedestrians, cyclists and my gosh, the environment with the gas

Try towing a horse box over a muddy field with a mini,or living in the country on a single track road.We don't all choose to stay in polluted cities.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Mar 22 2015 8:42 AM

butch1:

I'm disgusted with Range Rovers and 4x4s as to me it shows zero consideration for pedestrians, cyclists and my gosh, the environment with the gas

Try towing a horse box over a muddy field with a mini,or living in the country on a single track road.We don't all choose to stay in polluted cities.

I'm seeing a contradiction in what you write. Is this sarcasm?

what do you drive ... And why ?

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Mar 22 2015 9:18 AM

Simonbeo:

butch1:

I'm seeing a contradiction in what you write. Is this sarcasm?

what do you drive ... And why ?

The first phrase is cut and posted from another post. 

In my view, all cars are a cause of pollution - my Prius pollutes and its manufacture causes a considerable amount of CO2 production. I bought it because it suits my needs for a car - I considered a Golf - the answer to 'What car should I buy' in almost all cases - but I have had two and wanted something different. Also Toyotas are the most reliable car I have ever come across. 

If people really want to be green, use an old car - the emissions will be outweighed by the lack of production costs. However we do still live in what is mostly a free world and have the freedom to get what we want. Let's face it, B&O can hardly be listed as a good environmental and economic decision! We buy it because it appeals to us and cars and watches fulfil a similar role.

I am interested in what others drive - I like to hear about the variety of models and love the beauty and engineering of the top models. My trip to Struer with Lee in his Bentley was a great time and we certainly turned more heads that when we did the same trip in my Prius!! Big Smile

Peter

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sun, Mar 22 2015 10:48 AM

I am lucky as my family have dealerships, also my wife's too so I can have any model from bmw,mini,Landrover,jaguar,Honda,Alfa,fiat.

My inlaws deal in Lexus,Toyota,Hyundai,vw,seat,skoda and Isuzu.

I have went against the grain a few times and had other makes but they have been trade ins.

i drive a 4.4 diesel autobiography rrsport the most, as it suits my lifestyle,and the Mrs an Evoque.but will probably use bmw m4 in summer months and the Mrs m235i.

First car was my treasured escort rs turbo, still rs fan now.Like my mercedes too from 190e cosworth to amg and brabus versions.Like Peter said the production of a Prius is worse to the environment than a Range Rover.

The worst brand in general I have owned has been audi,had 3 over the years and everyone had numerous problems very unreliable much on par with older land rovers.

lee been in the trade so he will know what it's like, kid in candy shop springs to mind when there some nice stock.

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Thu, Apr 2 2015 11:15 PM

This is the red monster that takes me from A to B.

These are some pictures I took on a road trip through Italy last fall

I would love to go there again in this one:

It is quite similar!Big Smile

Wouter

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I drive the current SLK 350 and an ML250, both are just on a year old. I took some time off last year from work when I bought the ML and travelled around Australia. I think by the time, now with nearly 12 months on the ML I would have done 30,000 km. I love driving. I also ride a bike and previously I had a imiev for 3 months. I didn't decide to purchase a plug in electric car as there is difficulties with installing the necessary infrastructure in my house and garage. I would like an i3.

I test drove the latest update of the CLS and I loved it, as its a lighter car than the ML it pulled better (250 CDI), however it felt to me like previous generation even though all the tech was updated, so I will keep my ML until I find something down the track, or sell it, or I don't know lol.

I had an edition 1 c250 coupe and I think that was an amazing car, the engine was so strong and it was bulletproof.

Cars are depreciating assets so you can't blame a car for depreciation. I like driving so I base it on how it makes me feel and does it fit in with my lifestyle at the moment.
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Jun 13 2015 12:09 PM

We have just bought a new Ford Kuga (Escape in the U.S. ) and my wife is pleased with it . On the Audio front there's an interesting feature a bit like the B&O speaker position settings . If you're driving alone the speakers can be set with you at the centre of the sound . I've never come across this before and if it was not so deep into a menu I'd use it more when I get to drive the Kuga. Still , I've got my Alfa to drive..

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jun 13 2015 4:22 PM

Simonbeo:
If you're driving alone the speakers can be set with you at the centre of the sound .

Wow, I wonder how they do that, if there is anything beyond raising the volume, etc. In any case, congratulations on the new car! I wonder if you can hack the car to auto sense passengers and adjust the settings automatically. I'm sure there are OBD port hacks online that can be taken advantage of.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

beaker:

One of my first cars was an Amazon 1961, bought it as a rust bucket in 1971, and restored it, same color as yours but had the B16 engine. Kept it for 2 years and then sold it. Loved it

A lot more sensible.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Jun 13 2015 4:53 PM

Simonbeo:

We have just bought a new Ford Kuga (Escape in the U.S. ) and my wife is pleased with it . On the Audio front there's an interesting feature a bit like the B&O speaker position settings . If you're driving alone the speakers can be set with you at the centre of the sound . I've never come across this before and if it was not so deep into a menu I'd use it more when I get to drive the Kuga. Still , I've got my Alfa to drive..

Is that different from balance and fade settings? My 8 year old Saab 9-5 allows you to shift the sound balance left to right (balance) and front to rear (fade) so, as you say, when driving alone you can shift the sound centre  to the front right (or left!) driver's position. This feature is buried in the audio controls on the sat-nav screen.

Graham

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Jun 13 2015 6:59 PM

Sal:

Simonbeo:
If you're driving alone the speakers can be set with you at the centre of the sound .

Wow, I wonder how they do that, if there is anything beyond raising the volume, etc. In any case, congratulations on the new car! I wonder if you can hack the car to auto sense passengers and adjust the settings automatically. I'm sure there are OBD port hacks online that can be taken advantage of.

I was thinking the same myself as there are "occupied "sensors in the seats for seatbelt warnings . These could inform the settings?

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 8:32 AM

vikinger:

Simonbeo:

Is that different from balance and fade settings? My 8 year old Saab 9-5 allows you to shift the sound balance left to right (balance) and front to rear (fade) so, as you say, when driving alone you can shift the sound centre  to the front right (or left!) driver's position. This feature is buried in the audio controls on the sat-nav screen.

Graham

Thinking about it a bit further it sounds like the reverse of the fade balance system, so you would set the speakers furthest from the driver at a slghtly higher volume. So you could either set the fade-balance for most of the sound to come from the speakers near the driver if you wanted to minimise disturbance to other passengers, or if driving alone the fade- balance would be set with furthest speakers slightly higher in volume to simulate a balanced sound at the drivers position. Having said all that, under most conditions it is easier to leave all the settings in the default position, and in the small volume of a car it all makes little difference.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 8:53 AM

In a different vein, I am going to pick-up my Saab 9-5 this morning after a major service and cambelt change.

it's a 1.9 diesel. Swirl valve/ inlet manifold issues and DPF issue despite regular motorway runs, probably because it's an auto and rarely goes above 2500rpm.

Swirl valves are the curse of diesel engines because they gum-up with the crud recirculated by the exhaust gas recirculation valve. In fact the garage has just confirmed that so many cars, BMW in particular, have had to be scrapped as uneconomic repairs with engines wrecked by swirl valve injestion or failure that the real environmental cost is way beyond the emission savings of the swirl valves and DPF.

Keep to petrol. Bad news if you fancy a Jaguar XF estate as I do...... The curse of diesel plus rear wheel drive!

Graham

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 3:15 PM

vikinger:
Swirl valves are the curse of diesel engines because they gum-up with the crud recirculated by the exhaust gas recirculation valve. In fact the garage has just confirmed that so many cars, BMW in particular, have had to be scrapped as uneconomic repairs with engines wrecked by swirl valve injestion or failure that the real environmental cost is way beyond the emission savings of the swirl valves and DPF.

Is this a concern with modern diesel engines or ALL diesel engines? Audi have been pushing their TDI as "clean diesel" engines here in the States, and I'm wondering if this issue is something that is being swept under the rug.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 6:57 PM

Sal:

vikinger:

Is this a concern with modern diesel engines or ALL diesel engines? Audi have been pushing their TDI as "clean diesel" engines here in the States, and I'm wondering if this issue is something that is being swept under the rug.

Google Audi swirl valves and you will find that they have the same issues regarding failure. Most car makers use Pierburg manifolds with a slightly different swirl valve layout but they all have problems. When  they stick the whole inlet manifold has to come off, and most are replaced with new manifold assemblies rather than attempting cleaning and repair. The big cost is labour.

My garage owner (highly competent independent) says that because diesel (in the UK) is now more expensive than petrol, and petrol engine designs have improved so much, there is no advantage in going for diesel unless you are doing a very high annual mileage and can afford (time and money) these major maintenance problems.

Graham

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 9:05 PM

Back in the 80's and 90's, when nobody apart from commercial vehicle drivers used diesels, the price of diesel was much lower than petrol.

Then, the government decides diesel is best, it's cleaner and utterly wonderful and we should all drive them - so we all rush out and buy diesel cars.

The government then realises that they can sting the captive audience and massively ramp up duty on diesel fuel.

Now, they say that perhaps they got it wrong - and perhaps diesel needs taxing more, and banning from city centres - or being charged heavily to enter them... so petrol is best as it doesn't make statues fall apart and squirrels choke.

Then, we all buy petrol cars.. and the cycle starts again. They'll find something wrong with it once we're all driving on Unleaded.

Well, I've gone for the worst of both worlds. I drive a petrol car that does 10mpg. Work that out 'UK Government'... 

Rant over. Yes - thumbs up

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 9:13 PM

9 LEE:
Well, I've gone for the worst of both worlds. I drive a petrol car that does 10mpg.

That's not so bad, it could be a diesel that does 10mpg!Big Smile

Ban boring signatures!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

Puncher:

9 LEE:
Well, I've gone for the worst of both worlds. I drive a petrol car that does 10mpg.

That's not so bad, it could be a diesel that does 10mpg!Big Smile

Behold... the 'Buffalo Mine Protected Vehicle' - which returns a somewhat frugal three point five miles to the gallon...... of diesel. Geeked

However, you always get let out at junctions, and nobody ever 'cuts you up' Laughing

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 10:46 PM

Back to the thread topic though - as I'm the first to complain when it goes off track...

My first car...

1990 Ford Fiesta Popular.

Radiant Red with 'Madrid' fabric interior. No stereo, no centre console, no glovebox, no wheel trims (let alone alloys!), no parcel shelf. Nothing. It was basically a shell which they'd dropped an engine into and bolted four skinny wheels on (135/70/R13) - which now adorn things like BMX's.

All i could find on Google was a 1990 Fiesta 'Bonus' - which was a dealer issue version of the Popular with wheel trims and a radio, plus a parcel shelf. Oh, the parcel shelf.. how I longed for a parcel shelf!

Question : Exactly who puts a parcel on that shelf? If you did, and braked hard, it would end up in the rear footwell - or on the back of your head. In fact, who has ever put their gloves in the glove box?!

Anyway... here it is.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

The car I fell in love with?

I was 19 years old - and this was quite some car for a guy my age. I was a Manager at Sainsburys and getting paid very well... I had a 23 year old girlfriend - and had to 'raise my game', so this was the car for me.. LOL

A 1987 'E' Renault 5 GT Turbo in Pearlescent White. Phase 2 (no Turbo issues...  well, some hot starting issues - but if you knew what to do..) and blisteringly fast for the time.  The turbo lag was like a punt in the bottom from a donkey - and insane in the wet, but I loved it.  I get all gooey and soppy when i see one these days...

This is an image of a 1990 version, in solid white (they only did the pearl white for 2 years in the Phase 2) - but it gives you an idea.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 11:09 PM

As I've got older I've been through many cars - and many have had their qualities.  I'll list a few that spring to mind, in date order :

2001 BMW X5 : First of the new wave of modern 4x4's - A breath of fresh air and really was like driving a 5-Series on stilts...

2003 Mercedes S320 CDi : What a car. The first of the modern generation of techno-luxury saloon. Sat Nav rudimental, but amazing at the time!

2006 Mercedes S320 CDi : One of the best cars I've ever owned. Incredible at the time. So far advanced in every way.

2006 Bentley Continental GT Coupe : Fast. Cramped. Everyone hated me. Awful fuel economy. Fell to bits as I was driving it. Swore never to buy a Bentley again.

2013 BMW 730 LD : Superb. Technologically cutting edge. Loads of room. Great MPG. Fantastic car. One of the best cars I've ever had.

2009 Aston Martin DB9 Touchtronic Coupe : Made my eyes mist up just looking at it. It was like a rare sculpture - an utter work of art. Twenty five cows died to make the interior, a throng of master engineers hand built the engine - and thousands of cack-handed man hours were spent putting the rest of it together. Imagine if Leonardo Da Vinci had painted the Mona Lisa on the inside of a cardboard box. That was it.  Everyone stared, smiled and took photos - all whilst you held your hand over the wing mirror as it disintegrated before your very eyes.

2006 Saab 9-3 Diesel : I'm afraid I 'rebelled' here. I spent less on a car than a major service on the Aston. People snorted in derision, loudly declaring "business isn't so good then?!" and laughing up their sleeves.  A great car that cost me £1,300 from the local car auctions. 1 owner, FSH and drove like brand new. I didn't care what people thought!  It was value for money!!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Tue, Jun 23 2015 7:41 AM

9 LEE:

Back to the thread topic though - as I'm the first to complain when it goes off track...

My first car...

1990 Ford Fiesta Popular.

Radiant Red with 'Madrid' fabric interior. No stereo, no centre console, no glovebox, no wheel trims (let alone alloys!), no parcel shelf. Nothing. It was basically a shell which they'd dropped an engine into and bolted four skinny wheels on (135/70/R13) - which now adorn things like BMX's.

All i could find on Google was a 1990 Fiesta 'Bonus' - which was a dealer issue version of the Popular with wheel trims and a radio, plus a parcel shelf. Oh, the parcel shelf.. how I longed for a parcel shelf!

Question : Exactly who puts a parcel on that shelf? If you did, and braked hard, it would end up in the rear footwell - or on the back of your head. In fact, who has ever put their gloves in the glove box?!

Anyway... here it is.

Mock if you will but mine took me anywhere and everywhere I needed to go for 3 years without issue! Yes, the engine noise could be a problem (if you could hear it above the general interior rattles and squeaks) but it never rose to a level that couldn't be drowned out by my Clarion radio/cassette player!

If I was capable of completing the Times crossword I would certainly have had enough time while tackling any sort of positive incline but on the flat it could nearly keep up with heavy goods traffic which meant it was much more interesting to drive than those middle lane cruisers!

And, while you may scoff at the BMX tyres, they always gave me a warm, cosy glow every winter as we sped past all the fat cats in their fat cars stuck in the kerbs or lurching sideways whenever there was the meerest covering of snow/slush/frost on the ground. Apparently, only it's lack of ground clearance prevented Jezza Clarkson using it on his North Pole expedition instead of the Toyota pickup!

Ban boring signatures!

Page 1 of 8 (305 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS