Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Car Talk

rated by 0 users
This post has 304 Replies | 4 Followers

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Nov 23 2015 7:47 PM
Simonbeo:

My Alfa has the Multiair. A great engine but only the 140 for the 124?

A friend who was a designer at Alfa Romeo tells me the Alfa was much better looking but the policy of Alfas only being Italian produced meant this rather hurried Fiat/Dodge has appeared instead.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000

you might like this Simon.... Lotus twin-cam shoe horned into a 500...

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Mark:
Simonbeo:

My Alfa has the Multiair. A great engine but only the 140 for the 124?

A friend who was a designer at Alfa Romeo tells me the Alfa was much better looking but the policy of Alfas only being Italian produced meant this rather hurried Fiat/Dodge has appeared instead.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000

you might like this Simon.... Lotus twin-cam shoe horned into a 500...

howabout this one ?

Combining the fabulous Multipla with Abarth!

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Nov 24 2015 10:28 AM

Write up of the new TT mentioning (very slightly) B&O

Full article at http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/11/a-retina-display-for-the-road-the-clever-new-2016-audi-tt-reviewed/

Photo's text says "The optional Bang and Olufsen sound system ($950) sounded jolly good to these non-audiophile ears."

BeoNut since '75

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Nov 26 2015 2:10 PM

Happy birthday to the Lancia Beta Montecarlo, Pininfarina's enchanting design is 40 yrs old and still turns my head when I see one .....

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Nov 26 2015 8:46 PM

A great car of its time, including plastic seat frames! Around the time the Porsche 928 was car of the year.

but why the picture of the U.S. Spec Scorpion?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Nov 27 2015 9:08 AM

I have the Pinin sketch too but I just liked the cheesy models standing next to the car, summoned up the era, great car designs but we had terrible clothes sense ..

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

That sketch is a whole lot more colourful than the stuff they shared with Style Auto at the time. 

Your choice of illustration for period custume is great!

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Dec 1 2015 8:19 PM
Simonbeo:

That sketch is a whole lot more colourful than the stuff they shared with Style Auto at the time.

interesting concepts, top right gives a definite nod to the Ferrari BB design .....

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Mark:
Simonbeo:

I love this image from Style Auto

interesting concepts, top right gives a definite nod to the Ferrari BB design .....

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Dec 8 2015 6:33 PM
my new favourite odd ball ....

Carlo Mollino, stunt pilot, race car driver, designer, celebrated architect, photographer and playboy...

above is his 1955 Le Mans race car co designed with Enrico Nardi.... his understanding or aerodynamics allowed him to design an air brake, a negative lift wing and a fully retractable rear view mirror ...

unfortunately his 220km/h race car was flipped by a passing D-Types vortex....

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Mark:
my new favourite odd ball ....

Carlo Mollino, stunt pilot, race car driver, designer, celebrated architect, photographer and playboy...

above is his 1955 Le Mans race car co designed with Enrico Nardi.... his understanding or aerodynamics allowed him to design an air brake, a negative lift wing and a fully retractable rear view mirror ...

unfortunately his 220km/h race car was flipped by a passing D-Types vortex....

Reminds me of the best looking MG ever

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Dec 14 2015 4:43 PM
in car entertainment at its quirky best .....

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

And the latest from Mercedes is better?

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Dec 15 2015 5:34 PM
I like the detailing on Aston Martin's N430

the acoustic lens can be colour coded to match the accent colour, the above is from the Alloro Green livery with yellow graphic pack ....

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Dec 15 2015 5:58 PM

Simonbeo:

I've never understood skeumorphism when it comes to cars. They place a giant LCD, and they choose to display dials on the left side. Of course, I understand the customizability of the displays, but I think if a company goes all out like MB has done with a huge LCD, they should choose to think out of the box. I was about to compliment Audi's new cockpit for taking a chance on doing something out of the ordinary, but they too have chosen the default Dials to display. 

I understand that there's something viscerally satisfying to see a needle move across the arc of a dial, but to me an LCD is wasted if it merely replicates something which can be done mechanically. Unless there is a requirement by some standards body which dictates that RPMs and Speed should be displayed as a dial and needle format.

As an aside, I do hope car companies also move away from the trend of flat / capacitative buttons on the dash / center stack. They are not useful and create a dangerous situation for drivers who just want to make minute adjustments. Temperature, volume, etc. should all be physical, tactile knobs instead of what I saw at the LA Auto show a couple of weeks ago: flat strips of plastic or "areas" on the center console where one needs to slide fingers in order for something to happen. Driver's eyes need to be on the road, not elsewhere trying to find the console real estate where the touch surface is.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Dec 15 2015 6:10 PM
Sal:

I've never understood skeumorphism when it comes to cars. They place a giant LCD, and they choose to display dials on the left side. Of course, I understand the customizability of the displays, but I think if a company goes all out like MB has done with a huge LCD, they should choose to think out of the box. I was about to compliment Audi's new cockpit for taking a chance on doing something out of the ordinary, but they too have chosen the default Dials to display.

I understand that there's something viscerally satisfying to see a needle move across the arc of a dial, but to me an LCD is wasted if it merely replicates something which can be done mechanically. Unless there is a requirement by some standards body which dictates that RPMs and Speed should be displayed as a dial and needle format.....

Sal my friends at ustwo are trying to rethink this problem https://ustwo.com/blog/cluster/

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Dec 15 2015 6:13 PM

Mark, I remember seeing this a while back on Autoblog, and similar sites. I had forgotten that creative minds are working on it! Thanks for that!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Tue, Dec 15 2015 6:17 PM

Sal:

Simonbeo:

I understand that there's something viscerally satisfying to see a needle move across the arc of a dial, but to me an LCD is wasted if it merely replicates something which can be done mechanically. Unless there is a requirement by some standards body which dictates that RPMs and Speed should be displayed as a dial and needle format.

As an aside, I do hope car companies also move away from the trend of flat / capacitative buttons on the dash / center stack. They are not useful and create a dangerous situation for drivers who just want to make minute adjustments. Temperature, volume, etc. should all be physical, tactile knobs instead of what I saw at the LA Auto show a couple of weeks ago: flat strips of plastic or "areas" on the center console where one needs to slide fingers in order for something to happen. Driver's eyes need to be on the road, not elsewhere trying to find the console real estate where the touch surface is.

I totally agree that simplicity and good haptic so are essential to a good driving experience. I can drive my Alfa Giulietta and adjust hvac and audio without the need to look at the controls as they are 3d and have good feedback. When first driving my wife's new Ford Kuga (Escape) there were times I almost forgot there was a world outside because there is so much visual noise. I was considering upgrading to a Beoremote One but it's not as tactile as the Beo4 and the same goes for the Ford the facelift of which now features a touch screen in place of a big rotary control. The latter can at least be found by touch and periferal vision!

personally I find the new Mercedes interiors a bit baroque right down to the chintzy Burmeister perforations. There's no hierarchy of what you're supposed look at.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Tue, Dec 15 2015 6:22 PM

Mark:
Sal:

I understand that there's something viscerally satisfying to see a needle move across the arc of a dial, but to me an LCD is wasted if it merely replicates something which can be done mechanically. Unless there is a requirement by some standards body which dictates that RPMs and Speed should be displayed as a dial and needle format.....

Sal my friends at ustwo are trying to rethink this problem https://ustwo.com/blog/cluster/

Thanks for the link to ustwo. Most interesting. It is odd to see an alternative to lcd emulating analog!

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Jan 3 2016 10:14 PM

It kind of looks good in this pic ...

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Jan 4 2016 10:10 AM

And there is the ruched leather interior!

Funny to think that the current Maserati Ghibli is based on an old Mercedes but Fiat and Chrysler are together. Floating Ferrari has ,it would appear, caused Fiat Chrysler to lose a third of their share value.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Jan 4 2016 3:45 PM

Simonbeo:

And there is the ruched leather interior!

Funny to think that the current Maserati Ghibli is based on an old Mercedes but Fiat and Chrysler are together. Floating Ferrari has ,it would appear, caused Fiat Chrysler to lose a third of their share value.

Speaking of Fiat/Chrysler

It will always seem strange to see a brand like Ferrari being traded on stock exchanges. I'm curious to see how shareholder interests will pan into the direction the company will be going in the next few years.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Jan 4 2016 6:09 PM

just not getting Marchionne, Ferrari accounted for just 2.6% of Fiat-Chryslers revenue but 11% of it's operating profit. 

sell the family silverware to prop up the cowshed...

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Mark:

just not getting Marchionne, Ferrari accounted for just 2.6% of Fiat-Chryslers revenue but 11% of it's operating profit. 

sell the family silverware to prop up the cowshed...

He retires in 2018. When they go round the back of the Lingotto it'll be propped up like the film set on a western movie. 

Carrollea
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Silver Member
Carrollea replied on Mon, Jan 4 2016 11:40 PM

i am a petrol head, i mainly stick to jap cars simply because they work all day every day and in the small car and sports car area there is nothing to beat them.i work as an auto technician in a German service center and i have to say they are worst build over rated rubbish on the road, especially the newer range. everything is a "serviceable item" on a vw or audi. failure in bmw is put down to a "quality enhancement" after you pay for it!

i never really comment on car topics or forums simply because people base their comments on their opinion as apposed to statistic and that annoys me but the reason im commenting on here is because i drove a car that simply shocked me. last week in florida on holidays i drove a tesla ludicrous and i have to say it was fantastic. i can see these making a serious dint on the bigger german diesel pots. the second best car ive ever driven was a gtr with 700 hp. that was also a brilliant car but the tesla was better, in fact it was simply mind blowing performance. im from a hillclimb motorsport background and i was very very impressed with it. if you get a chance to drive one take it!

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jan 5 2016 9:41 AM
I worked with TESLA in the early days, their Roadster had 24 moving parts and that is a game changer which flips the whole service industry on its head plus throw in regenerative braking and all you are renewing regularly were tyres....

I remember a customer wanting day time running lights installed on his Roadster, he asked how much it would cost and I said about 10 mins of your time, just ring me when you are parked up. We tweaked his firmware and installed, I can still remember his reaction over the phone.

I also remember getting boo'd at the RoC 2010 Düsseldorf due to Schumacher and Vettel racing our cars and there was no sound ....

Revolution and evolution has its ups and downs and can be painful but it's the only way to go...

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Jan 5 2016 3:41 PM

If TESLA added an updated roadster to it's model lineup, it'll go gangbusters:

Model S, X, 3, and Roadster, that'd be a helluva lineup in the coming years. In fact, I'd bet that if they re-released the Roadster, they'd make up for the slow selling X right now.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jan 5 2016 8:27 PM

watching the Dakar and just thinking Sebastien Loeb maybe the greatest racing driver we have ever seen...

my wife thinks I should get out more ...

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Mark:
I worked with TESLA in the early days, their Roadster had 24 moving parts and that is a game changer which flips the whole service industry on its head plus throw in regenerative braking and all you are renewing regularly were tyres....

I remember a customer wanting day time running lights installed on his Roadster, he asked how much it would cost and I said about 10 mins of your time, just ring me when you are parked up. We tweaked his firmware and installed, I can still remember his reaction over the phone.

I also remember getting boo'd at the RoC 2010 Düsseldorf due to Schumacher and Vettel racing our cars and there was no sound ....

Revolution and evolution has its ups and downs and can be painful but it's the only way to go...

Our neighbour who has a Tesla S is really living the dream but with serious range anxiety, having to plug it in with a lead through the letterbox of his front door which he tapes to the pavement to avoid people tripping on it. I still couldn't understand how Dutch registered Teslas were to be seen during our holiday in Tuscany this summer?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jan 5 2016 8:52 PM

The range issue is interesting, as electric cars have amost exactly the same range as they did in the early 1900s. Granted the weigh more so the batteries have become more efficient, but still...batteries and range will be the limiting factor for quite a while. There's an upper limit on what battery technology can accomplish unless a new chemical storage approach pops up.

It's the whole range and recharging time issue which makes electric cars a non starter in my opinion, despite the hip factor or the Tesla or the admittedly intriguing simplicity of the drive-train. For me personally no matter how cool the Tesla is, I'd have to go with a more conventional exotic sports type car. Funny thing, for our 2nd car we would be perfectly fine with something like a Nissan Leaf, just a run around small town and grocery shop car, as long as we had a "main" car that was petrol powered. Since I don't need to buy a car there's no way I'm getting rid of a perfectly good functional 2nd car for an electric "just because" though.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jan 5 2016 10:29 PM
average range Model S range is 300+ miles but I believe the record is around 450 miles on one single charge add in their superchargers to the mix you can easily get around Europe with the correct stop overs.

Range anxiety is all in the mind and this phenomenon has been created by the automotive press in my eyes. I've never run out of petrol or diesel fuel, I rarely run completely out of phone power, never run out of juice in a EV and I have never starved of food.

What really excites me about EV's is you can repackage the drivetrain allowing the designers to go off the scale, you have 100% torque all the time (add snow boots to any electric car and it will out perform any 4x4 on ice and snow) and the most important to me reduce city noise pollution. Driving fast and hearing birds in the trees is something to marvel.

But whilst charging my SMART EV I forgot to unravel the the cable fully from its real and ended up with a melted mess. Inductive charging will be the next major stepping stone.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Jan 5 2016 10:43 PM

I know it isn't a pure EV, but my wife's Prius is on 125K miles and still going strong. With routine maintenance (oil changes, etc) I think it'll 50K more miles at least. It isn't pure EV, I know, but we are both flabbergasted at how bulletproof it has been. I keep joking with her about going to test drive EVs and those with range extenders (ie. BMW i3, Chevy Volt), but she won't have it until that darned Prius dies. 

Since our commutes aren't very long, we'd consider a pure EV as our next car. Though I have to admit, even if it is a fear of the mind, range anxiety is always a factor for me, though less so here in Southern California where electric car charging stations are a bit easier to get to than in other parts of the US.

I like the idea of "box on wheels" concept that Mark is alluding to in his post. The fact that the drivetrain / batteries can be placed / packaged elsewhere means there's a lot more creativity to what an electric car can mean for individuals / families. As the Tesla is proving, two trunks, low center of gravity, etc. 

By the time our Prius kicks the bucket, I'm hoping there will be more than just a small handful of palatable and attractive pure EV or EV+range extender car choices.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Mark:
average range Model S range is 300+ miles but I believe the record is around 450 miles on one single charge add in their superchargers to the mix you can easily get around Europe with the correct stop overs.

Range anxiety is all in the mind and this phenomenon has been created by the automotive press in my eyes. I've never run out of petrol or diesel fuel, I rarely run completely out of phone power, never run out of juice in a EV and I have never starved of food.

What really excites me about EV's is you can repackage the drivetrain allowing the designers to go off the scale, you have 100% torque all the time (add snow boots to any electric car and it will out perform any 4x4 on ice and snow) and the most important to me reduce city noise pollution. Driving fast and hearing birds in the trees is something to marvel.

But whilst charging my SMART EV I forgot to unravel the the cable fully from its real and ended up with a melted mess. Inductive charging will be the next major stepping stone.

Whoa the wire density thing sounds scary!

As does the range anxiety when I discuss Tesla ownership with my neighbour. He has very real issues as , for example, recently I happened to ask him how the car was going and he said he had got home with only 15 miles range indicated. The lead had to come through the letterbox ,as indeed it does every weekend or two. 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Jan 14 2016 1:38 PM

although I'm sad and already own the Porsche/Siemens kitchen collection I'm not sure I will be venturing for their new 911 GT3 soundbar....

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Jan 14 2016 5:57 PM

no range anxiety here... team Acciona are starting Stage 11 of the 8,000km Dakar in their 100% lithuim-ion powered rally car

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jan 16 2016 3:25 PM

whoops !! team Acciona got disqualified at Stage 11 as they took too much time charging and missed their starting timed slot ....

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Jan 16 2016 6:34 PM

Mark:

whoops !! team Acciona got disqualified at Stage 11 as they took too much time charging and missed their starting timed slot ....

I told you !

Reminds me of when a Lancia Y10 was in the RAC Rally and they got delayed between stages which lead to disqualification.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jan 16 2016 7:17 PM

I had a Y10 turbo with a dashboard that lit up like a Christmas tree, I always enjoyed driving cars that was long as they were wide....

though confused why they painted the boot mat black rather than the bonnet ....

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Jan 16 2016 7:26 PM

Mark:

I had a Y10 turbo with a dashboard that lit up like a Christmas tree, I always enjoyed driving cars that was long as they were wide....

though confused why they painted the boot mat black rather than the bonnet ....

' had two Y10s one after the other. The second was probably the only new one ,registered new to us, in 1990. Look at the VW Up! especially the interior of the show car, and see the Design influence from Flávio Manzoni who went from Lancia to VW before ending up at Ferrari.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jan 16 2016 7:45 PM

fine taste Simon, anyone who has earned multiple Y10's has to be be cool, I'll check out the UP as my neighbour has one....

also enjoyed the Citroen Visa dash with the ancillaries pod .....

Page 4 of 8 (305 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS