Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Car Talk

rated by 0 users
This post has 304 Replies | 4 Followers

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Jun 23 2015 6:51 PM

9 LEE:
1990 Ford Fiesta Popular.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoy watching "Wheeler Dealers." The British series is rebroadcast here in the states. I recall one of my favorite episodes was the one where Mike Brewer restored an old Ford Fiesta. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Jun 25 2015 2:06 PM

Here's another digression.

Anyone experienced odd finger print looking light marks on their car paintwork that will not wash or polish off?

Both our cars have such marks...... and after a lot of googling I've found that sunscreen or sunblocker lotions can penetrate and attack certain water based car paint finishes. Looks like VW have a lot of claims they are contesting.

Graham

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jun 25 2015 7:57 PM
vikinger:

Here's another digression.

Anyone experienced odd finger print looking light marks on their car paintwork that will not wash or polish off?

Both our cars have such marks...... and after a lot of googling I've found that sunscreen or sunblocker lotions can penetrate and attack certain water based car paint finishes. Looks like VW have a lot of claims they are contesting.

Graham

We have a Mulberry tree and its fruit, combined with the peeing and defecating possums that raid the fruit, is far worse.

BeoNut since '75

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

elephant:

We have a Mulberry tree and its fruit, combined with the peeing and defecating possums that raid the fruit, is far worse.

Solution : Cool

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Jun 26 2015 10:25 AM
9 LEE:

Solution :

๐Ÿ˜†

BeoNut since '75

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Jun 26 2015 4:42 PM

my wife mentioned we should look at getting a newer car (I normally do not buy brand new as living in London there is really no reason as public transport is so good)... hats off to her she came up with a few cool contenders like the Golf GTe ... but its too new with a too higher price tag as I hate depreciation.

so I've done a bit of trawling and my contenders are the Citroen DS5 and SAAB 95.... the DS is probably a little more practical ... but why are so many manufactures unwilling to make uber cool cars ? ......

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Jun 29 2015 7:53 PM

vikinger:

In a different vein, I am going to pick-up my Saab 9-5 this morning after a major service and cambelt change.

it's a 1.9 diesel. Swirl valve/ inlet manifold issues and DPF issue despite regular motorway runs, probably because it's an auto and rarely goes above 2500rpm.

Swirl valves are the curse of diesel engines because they gum-up with the crud recirculated by the exhaust gas recirculation valve. In fact the garage has just confirmed that so many cars, BMW in particular, have had to be scrapped as uneconomic repairs with engines wrecked by swirl valve injestion or failure that the real environmental cost is way beyond the emission savings of the swirl valves and DPF.

Keep to petrol. Bad news if you fancy a Jaguar XF estate as I do...... The curse of diesel plus rear wheel drive!

Graham

Would you believe it? Brother-in-law's Landrover Freelander diesel has just blown- up, probably having injested a swirl valve. £4000.

Reading it up on the internet his Freelander probably has the Mondeo engine. Some have a BMW engine (without swirl valves!)

Graham

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Does anyone have or test driven a BMW i3? I'd love to hear some thoughts.
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Aussie Michael:

It's worth looking for the video of the production plant on YouTube as its unlike any other factory process. The interior designer just got the top job at Rolls Royce interior design.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Thanks. That's one standout of the car - the interior

I'll take a look on YouTube.
Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 277
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 7:32 AM

Yes. I have test driven this car, and i loved it.. It is easy to drive and the power in it was great. We wanted this as a number two car and go full electric in our carpark Yes - thumbs up

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Normann:

Yes. I have test driven this car, and i loved it.. It is easy to drive and the power in it was great. We wanted this as a number two car and go full electric in our carpark

I had a Mitsubishi imiev for 3 months and the BMW is a different league all together. The tech is much further now. I'd love to drive one Lets have a Party !!!

Congrats on your all electric ethos.
Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 3:27 PM

Over the 30 odd years of driving I've had quite a few - some for a few weeks some for a few years - At the moment I have an Audi TT MK1 and a Volvo XC70 - The volvo was mean to replace the Audi as I needed something bigger for travelling from London to the country - but I couldnt bear to get rid of the TT so it sits in the garage and gets used at weekends - i doubt i will ever sell it as its the longest I've ever kept a car and I have grown too fond of it and it's still like new.

Favourite Cars - VOLVO's - 240, 340, 760, XC70 all completely reliable, Triumph Toledo (my first car), Dolomite 1850, Sprint, TR7 and Stag - all the Triumphs were unreliable and broke down all the time - but technology was different and they were cheap at the time as I was young. VW Scirocco's Mk1 and MK2 GTi - never spent a penny on repairs and brilliant build quality. BMW 316 (1979) fantastic, really good build, beautiflul looks. Saab 93 turbo was another favourite - I had it about 3 years and had no trouble with it - and it had done 70K - I gave it to my sister when it hit 100k and she had it 3 more years before it finaly gave up as she didnt bother servicing it.

Worst Cars - Rover 216 - broke down all the time and only had 20,000 miles on it - my mum gave it to me when she got a new car, but had only done 2 or 3 miles a day in it - so it felt more like a car with 100k on it. Fiat 131 Mirafiori - given to me by my dad this time when he got a new one, great car and comfortable but - 1300 engine - it just had no power - they never passed any more cars on !

Realistic Dream Cars - VOLVO Amazon, Volvo 164 or Triumph 1300 MK1 to keep the TT company.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Jul 8 2015 4:10 AM

Andrew:
At the moment I have an Audi TT MK1

Color me jealous Big Smile

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Simonbeo:

Aussie Michael:

It's worth looking for the video of the production plant on YouTube as its unlike any other factory process. The interior designer just got the top job at Rolls Royce interior design.

supercool  

what a great plant and the process was somewhat different than i have seen in other production videos like the c class etc.  The plastic moulding and the way in which the dash is trimmed was surprising.  Now i want one :-( lol

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Aussie Michael:

Simonbeo:

Aussie Michael:

supercool  

what a great plant and the process was somewhat different than i have seen in other production videos like the c class etc.  The plastic moulding and the way in which the dash is trimmed was surprising.  Now i want one :-( lol

Just to warn you, a friend who lives in Rome was describing how an I3 owning friend of his suffers "range anxiety" with his!

Even in his city he fears being stranded so uses his other car. The car itself reminds me of the Audi A2 my wife had in 2001;great to look at as a product. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Jul 8 2015 6:27 PM

I currently own an A2 and absolutely love it!

The i3 is absolutely on my want list when I can afford my first new car though!

Ben

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Ours had a homing instinct to the local Audi centre because of ,mainly,the sky roof. The list of parts fixed under warranty was crazy and the result of unrealistic tight build tolerances. It was a beautifully detailed piece of design which reminded me of the MX TVs. I was talking to a guy who worked on the marketing plan who told me it should never have happened and only did thanks to Mr Piech and his ego and the expansion of the range beyond the 3L/100km edition to the normal versions. The A1 is not quite as authentic.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Jul 8 2015 7:04 PM

Simonbeo:

Ours had a homing instinct to the local Audi centre because of ,mainly,the sky roof. The list of parts fixed under warranty was crazy and the result of unrealistic tight build tolerances. It was a beautifully detailed piece of design which reminded me of the MX TVs. I was talking to a guy who worked on the marketing plan who told me it should never have happened and only did thanks to Mr Piech and his ego and the expansion of the range beyond the 3L/100km edition to the normal versions. The A1 is not quite as authentic.

I have heard horrendous things about the sky roof actually, but luckily mine does not have it. It absolutely is a very B&O car in my opinion! Maybe for those who favour design, but in fact ours has been surprisingly reliable in the last few years. 

Ben

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Nothing like a bit of "range" anxiety to get your pulse racing :-)

I had that in a bit with the iMiev, and i did a bit of a Kramer (Seinfeld) and it really allayed any fears I had.  I live under 20km to the city so for me to drive to work and then back is all good.

When i had the iMiev i was classed as a "garage orphan" and thats  a serious term.  It's for those who have an EV however are not able to charge at home.  So i would drive to work and charge there, so home leave the EV in the garage and then drive to work the following day.  One day I couldn't charge so i left it and returned and back to the city - and that was the day i had the moment where i thought stuff it... go hard or go home (literally lol).

So id go the full EV and not the Range Extender with the little motorcycle engine :-) 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jul 11 2015 1:53 PM
I've never really got range anxiety as there are more power outlets in my house than petrol stations in my local area and I live in London !!!

I used to "backdraft" trucks on the M4 motorway in my SMART EV as I daily pushed the boundaries of electric commuting ... It's surprising how many more miles you can do.

have I ever run out of fuel .... yes in deepest France where I had to sleep in the petrol station forecourt until they opened and I could pump gas.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Aug 13 2015 11:41 AM

Friend of mine has bought a Ford Kuga, and he is really impressed with it. However, on an evening out, he spent about ten minutes trying to decide whether his car was locked or not. Apparently the car is meant to lock itself as you walk away from it, and unlock itself as you approach it.

In the end he gave his keys to his wife and walked back to the car to try the doors. Technology can sometimes be too clever.

Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Aug 13 2015 2:56 PM

vikinger:

Friend of mine has bought a Ford Kuga, and he is really impressed with it. However, on an evening out, he spent about ten minutes trying to decide whether his car was locked or not. Apparently the car is meant to lock itself as you walk away from it, and unlock itself as you approach it.

In the end he gave his keys to his wife and walked back to the car to try the doors. Technology can sometimes be too clever.

Graham

Over here, in the US, we had a couple of well publicized cases of people in Toyota/Lexus cars with the push button keyless start thing go rogue. Apparently, for whatever reason (Toyota said it was stacked floor mats jamming the accelerator, some think it was RFI affecting the electronic throttle position sensors) the cars stuck in full throttle, and the people didn't know how to shut the car down while moving. One person repeatedly stabbed the on/off button, when what's required is a long steady push of 3 or 4 sec or more, and suffered a fatal accident as a result. A situation where not having read the owner's manual proved fatal.

I had a Lincoln LS (Lincoln version of an S Type Jag) that had a feature that was tailor made for Florida where I lived. The seats were not only heated but air conditioned, actually cooled not just ventilated with cabin air. Slaved to the climate control, what a joy that was to walk out on a summer's day when the interior was at about 130 deg F, and the outside air was at a heat index of 110 or more, and before the AC could even begin to cool the car down you got this wonderful cool butt and back that really helped.

That car also had an amazing stereo, their THX system, smooth, accurate, and really powerful. Would play at insane levels with no clipping or distortion.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Sep 24 2015 4:47 PM

Sal:

vikinger:
Swirl valves are the curse of diesel engines because they gum-up with the crud recirculated by the exhaust gas recirculation valve. In fact the garage has just confirmed that so many cars, BMW in particular, have had to be scrapped as uneconomic repairs with engines wrecked by swirl valve injestion or failure that the real environmental cost is way beyond the emission savings of the swirl valves and DPF.

Is this a concern with modern diesel engines or ALL diesel engines? Audi have been pushing their TDI as "clean diesel" engines here in the States, and I'm wondering if this issue is something that is being swept under the rug.

I guess this week's news confirms what VW/Audi were also sweeping under the rug!

Clever but criminal. Engine Management System detects when car is having an MOT/ emissions test and runs the engine in clean mode. Out on the open road it runs in 'Dirty' mode so that extra mpg can be achieved.

Graham 

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

I moved out to Qatar last year for work purposes but commute back and forth to the UK. 

The car I have out here at present is a Jaguar XJ8 (2004) 4.2 v8 (fuel works out around 15p/litre).

My first ever car was a 1.0 Vauxhall Corsa, upgraded to a Mini One Diesel - great car but head gasket failure at 60,000miles which required new engine and I sold it at 160,000 miles and bought a BMW 320d Touring - great car until the turbo went and had to be replaced (a common fault I believe). 

No car in the UK at present but always wanted a Volvo or Saab so thinking 9-3 or XC70. I'd quite like a XC60 but second hand prices are fairly high and we need a bigger house first!

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 11:22 AM

After a year's waiting list, my new toy!  (And the reason for a prolonged absence from Beoworld whilst researching this new purchase at http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/)

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 12:05 PM
Chris Harrison:

No car in the UK at present but always wanted a Volvo or Saab so thinking 9-3 or XC70. I'd quite like a XC60 but second hand prices are fairly high and we need a bigger house first!

Be careful which sound system option you get on the xc60 - I am disappointed in the standard entry level system.

@Guy ... Congratulations !!!

BeoNut since '75

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 12:58 PM

elephant:

@Guy ... Congratulations !!!

Thanks very much!  Incidentally I went for a 'Bose' upgrade in the Macan.  Apparently the Burmester system is very good but I couldn't stretch to the extra £3230!!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Sep 30 2015 3:21 AM
Guy:

Thanks very much! Incidentally I went for a 'Bose' upgrade in the Macan. Apparently the Burmester system is very good but I couldn't stretch to the extra ยฃ3230!!

I was surprised how inexpensive the Burmeister was on the new entry level Mercs !

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Guy:

After a year's waiting list, my new toy! (And the reason for a prolonged absence from Beoworld whilst researching this new purchase at http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/ )

Just beautiful guy. I was thinking of one of these over an ML. A friend had a mac an as a loaner while his cab was in service. He said it's just marvellous.

Nice colour and I bet you're as pleased as punch.
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 7:55 AM

Good morning Australia!  Thanks Michael, and yes very pleased!  Here's another gratuitous picture from a recent trip to Lake Garda, although this is actually Lake Molveno!

I strongly recommend a test drive, and hopefully the waiting list is reducing.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 7:57 AM

Aussie Michael:
Guy:

After a year's waiting list, my new toy! (And the reason for a prolonged absence from Beoworld whilst researching this new purchase at http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/ )

Just beautiful guy. I was thinking of one of these over an ML. A friend had a mac an as a loaner while his cab was in service. He said it's just marvellous.

Nice colour and I bet you're as pleased as punch.

The Porsche looks so much better than the latest ML and the Q5 it's based on. The ML has never looked good since Steve Mattin left Mercedes to go and design for Volvo. Now he's at Lada . 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 8:05 AM

Simonbeo:

The Porsche looks so much better than the latest ML and the Q5 it's based on.

I agree!  I just hope my 3 litre diesel doesn't have too much dodgy VW software!

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 10:26 AM

very nice.... I really think these lines work better on the Macan where the Cayenne just looks awkward

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Simonbeo:

The Porsche looks so much better than the latest ML and the Q5 it's based on. The ML has never looked good since Steve Mattin left Mercedes to go and design for Volvo. Now he's at Lada .

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000

I read the macan isn't Q5 based it's it's' own Cool
BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ต
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Oct 22 2015 3:01 AM

Aston Martin Rapide E concept

Photoshop by Pascal Photographe
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Oct 22 2015 4:03 AM

BeoBoy68:

Aston Martin Rapide E concept

Photoshop by Pascal Photographe

I'd rather have AM developing this than the horrid Cygnet.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Oct 22 2015 10:30 PM

Aussie Michael:
Simonbeo:

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000

I read the macan isn't Q5 based it's it's' own Cool

Porsche protesteth a bit about this but they are "platform bruders" with quite extensive differentiation .

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Oct 23 2015 2:47 PM

nothing wrong with the Cygnet... prime real estate when you are living in Paris, Rome or London and your average speed is 9 mph... Will park in any space and you are wrapped in handmade luxury with a sewing machine reliability...

Wood & Pickett and Radford had been here earlier...

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Oct 23 2015 3:03 PM

AM Cygnet was dropped two years ago. £33K for a rebadged £10K Toyota.  Only reached 2% of target sales. 

It was a ruse to try to get around the fact that most Astons had very high emissions, so producing an equal number of cars with very low emissions helped with manufacturer compliance targets. I thought that they originally intended to give away a Cygnet with every 'normal' car.

And where have I read that Porsche are being sued because they have put a flat spot into engine management systems to keep the cars within EC noise limits when accelerating around 30 mph? Some guy had a 2.5 sec delay when passing a lorry that nearly cost him his life!

Graham

Page 2 of 8 (305 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS