Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bang & Olufsen 1.9 beta

rated by 0 users
This post has 216 Replies | 4 Followers

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member
MrAndersen Posted: Thu, May 31 2018 10:10 AM

Hi all

We have released a new beta on testflight for iOS, a beta version for Android will follow shortly. This is the first of several releases that will change our design to a lighter and more product focused style. The goal is to complete this re-design in version 2.0 by the end of this summer. The two major changes in this beta are the product setup flow and the homeview. Later product control and settings will follow. For those of you who are beta testers I will try my best to answer your feedback in this forum and in the feedback channel. The later has been neglected in last few betas and I'm sorry about that, we will do better this time around. If you are not a beta tester and want to be one please write me a private message in this forum. 

Br

Thomas Andersen, Bang & Olufsen

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hej Thomas,

could you post some screenshots of the news/new interface.....for those, who don’t do beta testing?

Just to see what we may expect.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Oh, sorry - I just saw that there are some in another thread about the beta.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, May 31 2018 12:40 PM

Hi there Thomas - thanks for the update.

For the Home page, if the intended layout will be like in the beta i.e. products verictcally stacked with the descriptor alongside - i'd make one suggestion.

1 Either on the product image or alongside (where the descriptor is) it would be great to have some product control.

At the moment, it take quite a few taps to actually startup a product (4 taps). It would be good to just wake up the product from the home page.

Of course, you dont want to make the Home Page too busy / messy - but there are various ways i can imagine (either a single wake button, or maybe the source list can appear / disappear with a 3D touch / long press?)

2 That aside, i second the suggestion for a dark mode / black theme.

3. For the product images, would be nice to see a BV12-65 as opposed to a BS4 box. I have requested this before.

Anyway, thanks for the development work.

julianhudson
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Hi Thomas,

i’ll send you a PM to add me to the testing.  

Is there a way to change the product image from a Core to the speakers the Core is connected to?

Thanks,

julian

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, May 31 2018 4:34 PM
Agreed

For products like the Core, Moment, Essence and BS4, it would be great to have a choice of images to use.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Just saw another post about the tab bar phew I was worried for a moment lol.

Closed and reopened and have the bar at the bottom.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, May 31 2018 7:22 PM

Sandyb:
For products like the Core, Moment, Essence and BS4, it would be great to have a choice of images to use.

Don’t forget the NL/ML converter: probably the worst picture currently. Would be nice to choose between legacy products it is connected to.

For Core/Essence/moment, maybe a choice of speaker as picture should be better.

I’m also on the team for a home page with volume sliders and “+” button, it can be very sleek looking and completely removes the need for a multi room page. I see the volume slider at the lower end of the picture block : kind of the latest Hue app from Philips, where rooms have a simple slider on the main page.

im fact, the current navigation implies to go to a lot of tabs to get simple actions, so more controls on the main page would be a nice addition.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, May 31 2018 7:45 PM
Yes, the Home page has so much empty screen real estate that can be used.

This is especially true on the iPad.

With the new vertically stacked products arrangement on the Home page, I would propose the following for the row that relates to that product:

1. A button to wake it up (perhaps to the last active source)

2. A button (perhaps the 3 dots?) or a long press /3D touch to bring up the source list

3. The product row should show the active source

4. Volume slider essential - whether that's on the black bar at the bottom, or elsewhere.

I agree also, a + button will remove the need for the multiroom tab most probably.

I know the multiroom tab can show different groupings, but that can be achieved on the Home screen, perhaps with different shading for each grouping.

But generally, it takes too many taps to achieve simple things.

And of course the product images issue (I know, mentioned this many times)

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member

Great input Sandyb, yes we could use the space for quick functions like you describe. We just needs to be careful not to clutter the interface, our design goal has been to keep it clean and minimalistic. 

Julianhudson: Yes you will be able to select images for the core, it is on the roadmap

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Jun 1 2018 8:24 AM
Of course yes, messy is bad.

Are there different versions for the iPhone and iPad, or does the one app just scale?

I quite like the Home page now, with products vertically stacked. There is though a lot of empty space, especially on the iPad.

I don't know how easy it is to implement a 3D touch source list, but that has the advantage of being invisible. And a volume slider on the black bar I don't think adds much "noise" as it were.
mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Jun 1 2018 10:12 PM
I don’t find the new search field very « sexy »

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Jun 2 2018 5:26 AM
Adding the Timer option directly to the product page like it is for the Alarm would be nice.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Millemissen:

Hej Thomas,

could you post some screenshots of the news/new interface.....for those, who don’t do beta testing?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

For MM the new and old betas - WOW what a difference!!!

OLD version ...

NEW version ...

BeoNut since '75

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
MrAndersen:

“....We just need our design goal has been to keep it clean and minimalistic.”

Listen -

I’ve lived with the B&O overly minimalistic design and instruction goal for over 40 years.

Please start to err on the side of users NOT having to figure out how to use the product.

Respectfully,

Barry
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Jun 2 2018 1:14 PM

Exactly - much as i appreciate the work being done on the app, and it is elegant, it also comes at the cost of ease of use.

Once i pick up my iPhone, open the app, brings up Home Page, then still requires a few too many taps to achieve anything.

Some of this can be built in to the Home Page, an done neatly enough to keep the UI clean.

On the iPad, the amount of blank space real estate is kid of ridiculous - elegant i guess, but looks like half finished homework.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

To Mr Anderson, 

This post may be a little late to the party and well off-current topic.

With the BeoSound 5 and Moment being EOL and that no successor seems likely in the indefinite future, has there been any discussion within the power-dressers of B&O that a development of the algorithm tech for driving automated music choice (MOTS et al) could be seen as a positive?

I mean, if B&O were to implement such a thing - say via an iPad to control both a home NAS and online music sources to B&O hardware, it would be something I would pay easily for.

Better still, my estimation is that any such upgrade add-on (basic app free, MOTS or similar $$$$) that could work on any non-B&O music box, would see cash roll-in.

I think it is a missed opportunity but what do I know?

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Sun, Jun 3 2018 9:34 PM

@Mr 10Percent: if you want to try something like MOTS on your local library (DLNA), try a subscription to Plex (PlexPass): you get "artist radio" and "Plex mix" (which is the closest MOTS equivalent). Works on any iOS/Android device and the Apple TV. So to play to your beosystem you'll need to use Airplay.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

elephant:
Millemissen:

Hej Thomas,

MM

For MM the new and old betas - WOW what a difference!!!

OLD version ...

NEW version ...

I just joined the beta team.
For those who prefer to use (the app on) the iPad for controlling their B&O setup here how the current and the beta versions look.
The vertical arrangement in the Home screen is there - means you have to scroll/scroll more to see all devices.
However it looks overall nicer - notice how the active tile beside the active product has turned to a lighter grey.
Beside this there (for this version) is not much difference to see.
MM
Click to see all.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

.....and in horizontal view (beta version).

A lot to scroll - if you have more devices ;-(

Click to see all.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Jun 4 2018 7:14 PM
Strangely enough the app changed my M3 from grey to black....

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Mon, Jun 4 2018 8:33 PM
Hiort:

Strangely enough the app changed my M3 from grey to black....

No hope, my dark M5 is still grey Wink

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Ny M3 is now grey - was black before.

I think they are playing games with us ;—)

MM

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member

@mbolo01: Search has been fixed

@Barry Santini: I hear you and we will bring more ease of use to the homeview. We will just do it in small steps

@Sandyb: The item size on iPad will be reduced. Also we will make the size adapt to the number of products you have, more products smaller size

@Mr10Percent: Sorry I can't comment on upcoming products

@Millemissen: As mentioned above, iPad item size will be reduced

@Hiort: We have changed ALL the images, and they are now all loaded from the cloud. Soon you will be able to set the exact color of your products

Oh and please use this thread for comments on the other, then I only need to check and answer in one place. 

Thanks for all the feedback!

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

mbee:

@Mr 10Percent: if you want to try something like MOTS on your local library (DLNA), try a subscription to Plex (PlexPass): you get "artist radio" and "Plex mix" (which is the closest MOTS equivalent). Works on any iOS/Android device and the Apple TV. So to play to your beosystem you'll need to use Airplay.

missed my point completely. Was suggesting methods that might help fund B&O. Not Plex.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

MrAndersen:

@Mr10Percent: Sorry I can't comment on upcoming products

Comment noted. Thank you 

YannChris
Top 500 Contributor
Larmor Plage - France
Posts 232
Founder

Hi,

I just bought a Core.

It's Powerlink-out is plugged in the Aux-In of a BC2.

The Aux-out of the BC2 is plugged in the Line-in of an Eclipse, in order to use the BL5 connected to the TV.

So I need to set the output of the Core on fixed line-level.

But unfortunately when I try to reach the setup page of the Core in the app, I just get a black empty page.

Is it a bug or am I wrong somewhere? What should I do?

Kind regards,

Yann.

Living Room   BV Eclipse - BS Core - BL5 - BL8000 - LC2 x2 - Beo6 

Lounge  Beolink Passive - Cabasse Clipper - Beo4      Kitchen  BL3500 - Beolink 1000

Bedroom    BV9 - BL6000 (Thks Botty) - Beotime - LC2 - Beo5

Garden Lounge   BC9000 - BG 6006 - BL4500 (Thks Botty) - Playmaker - Beolink 1000

Study    BS1 - ML/NL Converter - BL2500 - Beo4 - Form 2 (Tks Botty) - Beoplay P2

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Tue, Jun 5 2018 9:08 PM

YannChris:

I just get a black empty page.

This is the same symptom than for the software update page that I have observed on all products I have (Core, M5 & A6).

It is not Beomusic app related as the same happen through Beosetup or when accessing to the product via an Internet browser.

I have reported the issue.

If you manage to change for a non French language, chances are that you can see the normal page back (it works for a German user)

Bon courage

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Tue, Jun 5 2018 10:50 PM
@MrAndersen

(1) May I suggest that links to B&O web pages from the app are language sensitive. When I’m using the app in French, I’m expecting that help pages, faq, guides links point me to the French relevant web pages.

(2) One screen is still referring to « bêta  since the initial app version, including in the non-beta versions (note that I would have used “beta” instead of “bêta” that means stupid):

(3) When writing report through the app, there is no carriage return key (since many versions now)

(4) To add the Timer setup option as it is currently available for Alarms to avoid going through the product setup page.

(5) to automatically select the 1st product in the product list when opening the app. Personally, if I reorder my products it’s usually to place the most frequently used at the top, and usually the top of the top is my preferred product that I would like to control immediately.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mbolo01:
@MrAndersen

(5) to automatically select the 1st product in the product list when opening the app. Personally, if I reorder my products it’s usually to place the most frequently used at the top, and usually the top of the top is my preferred product that I would like to control immediately.

It is not just that the personalized order of the products often is ignored, when opening the app (I did report that).

It is also that the personalization of the Radio page (what you want to see there) is ignored.

MM

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Jun 6 2018 6:25 AM
Millemissen:

It is also that the personalization of the Radio page (what you want to see there) is ignored

I faced it once but it works for me now.

Did you go to the radio page just after personalization and before completely closing the application?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mbolo01:
Millemissen:

It is also that the personalization of the Radio page (what you want to see there) is ignored

I faced it once but it works for me now.

Did you go to the radio page just after personalization and before completely closing the application?

It is pretty random - that is: I see no pattern there.

Yesterday it happened, when the Home screen had loaded new, different pictures for my products.

Of course I’ll now have an eye on it - now that I am doing beta testing.

MM

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Jun 6 2018 11:13 AM
Millemissen:

It is pretty random - that is: I see no pattern there.

Agreed

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member

@YannChris: are you on the testflight version? Could you explain how you navigate to setup page?

@mobolo01: Unfortunately they are all in english now. This will change, but not right away. We be migrating and translating this to another platform. Thanks for the hint on the cirmumflex, I will remedy that

@Millemissen: I have created a bug on the personalization and we will look into it

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Jun 6 2018 12:14 PM
MrAndersen:

@YannChris: are you on the testflight version? Could you explain how you navigate to setup page?

MrAndersen: I sent you an email about these black/empty screens that are impacting many products for the Software Update screen, including the Core which has also the same issue with the optical output screen.

My opinion is that it is product software related and for some languages only.

YannChris
Top 500 Contributor
Larmor Plage - France
Posts 232
Founder

MrAndersen:

@mobolo01: Unfortunately they are all in english now. This will change, but not right away. We be migrating and translating this to another platform. Thanks for the hint on the cirmumflex, I will remedy that

@Millemissen: I have created a bug on the personalization and we will look into it

Thanks for caring.

Yes I'm on the testflight version (1.9.0.13459).

Tap on the right-top wheel in the welcome screen...

Your products...

Core...

Setup...

… empty black screen Crying

Kind regards,

Yann.

Living Room   BV Eclipse - BS Core - BL5 - BL8000 - LC2 x2 - Beo6 

Lounge  Beolink Passive - Cabasse Clipper - Beo4      Kitchen  BL3500 - Beolink 1000

Bedroom    BV9 - BL6000 (Thks Botty) - Beotime - LC2 - Beo5

Garden Lounge   BC9000 - BG 6006 - BL4500 (Thks Botty) - Playmaker - Beolink 1000

Study    BS1 - ML/NL Converter - BL2500 - Beo4 - Form 2 (Tks Botty) - Beoplay P2

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Jun 6 2018 9:30 PM

YannChris:

… empty black screen Crying

Kind regards,

Yann.

@Yann: Can you try with an internet browser with the following URL http://<Core IP address>/index.fcgi#

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jun 7 2018 10:04 AM

Hi there MrAndersen.

Using the beta version of the app this morning - the app is showing no play queue with my Moment.

1. Triggered a playlist using the Moment first.

2  Added a second room.

3  Playlist is showing fine on the actual Moment Jukebox, but nothing showing on the app.

Issue is same whether Playlist is from Deezer or from my local Moment connected NAS.

I think something is broken in the communication between the app and the Moment - in addition to the absent playlist, at times the artist / album image disappears from the Now Playing screen as well.

Anyone else have the same problem?

I have logged an issue through the app.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jun 7 2018 10:50 AM

Mr. Andersen, me again i;m afraid.

The beta very of the app is not communicating with my Moment properly in a number of ways.

Not sure if anyone else using the beta version and a Core / Essence is having the same issues - if this is old new, i apologise.

The Moment itself is fine, and using everything else physical  (the Jukebox itself, joining other rooms with remotes etc) is fine - its largely an app issue.

My Moment is connected / using my Beosystem 4 and its connected speakers.

Once i start something on the Moment (Deezer playlist, my own local NAS stored playlist, Tunein Radio) - following issues

1. Artist image disappears, as soon as i start navigating around the app, moving in and out of the Now Playing screen - image does not reappear.

2. The app shows empty for the playlist - from the Now Playing screen

3. The Music and Radio tabs don't allow me to do anything

- if Music is playing, i cant use the Radio tab to switch to radio, and vice-versa.

- Once Music is playing, for example one playlist, using the Music tab to chose another playlist doesn't work - hitting the play icon on the new playlist leads to "could not insert into queue", and selecting an individual track from that list leads to "inserted into queue".  But as described in 2 above, i cant see the playlist contents. And looking at the Moment play queue on the unit itself, it doesnt look as if anything has been added.

Anyway, 1 and 2 above seem like bug.

As for the issues described in 3 - these also seem like bugs, as i can't imagine the Music and Radio tabs are limited in that way.

So right now, the app only allows me to activate/deactivate products, volume control, and source select from the Now Playing screen. Fine for TV etc, but its not working properly for music as described above.

Let me know if you need any more information - i'm here to help.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Thu, Jun 7 2018 11:23 AM
Sandyb:

The beta very of the app is not communicating with my Moment properly in a number of ways.

Agreed, the new Beomusic app has never been able to properly deal with the way the Moment manages its play queue and exposes metadata, and despite my reports to both Moment and app teams, nothing has changed on this front since the legacy app has been decommissioned. Now that the Moment is EOL, I’m not hoping any resolution unfortunately.

Page 1 of 6 (217 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS