Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

LG 2019 OLED TV- WiSA Wireless- Soundbar- Dolby Atmos audio.

This post has 965 Replies | 3 Followers

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Dec 17 2018 1:36 PM | Locked

I suspect most if not all of the people who want to shell out b&o sums of money for however many surround sound speakers, b&o or otherwise, will have already found a way to do it to their satisfaction. That being the case I don't believe the LG having wisa is going to prompt a significant increase in speaker sales in the umpty £K range. Any blip generated by the tv will be more likely be in the sub-"play" price range.

Ban boring signatures!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend replied on Mon, Dec 17 2018 5:49 PM | Locked
Agreed, hence why they should modify speakers like the Beoplay M5 to act as supplementary speakers apro pro, achieving surround soundCool

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Dec 18 2018 8:12 AM | Locked

WiSA Smartstick or ? HDMI 2.1 - eARC  ?

HDMI 2.1 - eARC Spec'. So when will 4K TVs from LG, Panasonic, Samsung or Sony arrive with
HDMI 2.1 compatibility? Our guess would be early 2019.

Products with eARC, however, are coming out slowly. Onkyo and Pioneer are the first to offer
eARC updates on select AV products, mainly: Onkyo TX-RZ830, Integra DRX-5.2, Pioneer
SC-LX502 and Pioneer VSX-LX503 AV receivers.

If your TV is HDMI eARC enabled, but your AV amp or soundbar is only compatible with HDMI ARC,
it’s likely you’ll get a sound - but the bandwidth restrictions of ARC will mean you won’t be able to
experience the high bitrate audio that eARC can provide. So no, it's not backwards-compatible.

Some AV receivers and soundbars that don’t have HDMI 2.1 chipsets can be upgraded to support
eARC, but it varies between manufacturers and models. It depends if they are using compatible
hardware that can accept the necessary firmware update.

Enhanced Audio Return Channel (also known as eARC) is the next generation of ARC. It’s a feature
being implemented in the upcoming HDMI 2.1 specification.

The main benefit of eARC is a big boost in bandwidth and speed. This allows you to send higher-
quality audio from your TV to a soundbar or AV receiver.

There’s scope for eARC to deliver up to 32 channels of audio, including eight-channel, 24bit/192kHz
uncompressed data streams at speeds of up to 38Mbps.

This means all those high bitrate formats currently available on Blu-ray discs, 4K Blu-rays and some
streaming services – Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and object-based formats such as
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X – will all be compatible.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Dec 18 2018 10:22 AM | Locked

As it becomes a LG OLED TV that distributes WiSA-based wireless Dolby Atmos audio,
I think this is an important enlightenment as this concerns the sent sound quality.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Dec 18 2018 8:35 PM | Locked

Yes okay! It is then easier to debate a topic where answers can be found at Bang & Olufsen
homepage, than what will be launched by new and important opportunities in the near future.

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/26335.aspx?PageIndex=57

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Wed, Dec 19 2018 1:32 AM | Locked
I’m not sure how I feel about a store brand tv, which specializes and makes GREAT TVs, lumping in a lot of features. What I mean is that I appreciate the time and effort different brand spend on perfecting certain elements.

So LG perfected the LED, by going for the OLED. B&O specialized in creating highly designed and good sounding products, and so forth and so on.

The home receiver, amplifier, and preamplifier are a multi billion dollar industry. To have a great decoder/preamplifier built into a wafer thin tv leaves me wondering how good it can be.

Yes, I’m sure for the average consumer, it’s plenty good... but Iv noticed manufacturers these days roping people into cheap solutions with no alternative for those that want the best that can possibly be had. The new generation value convenience over all else, while the entire rest of mankind’s history cherishes the endeavor for greatness that is possible.

Maybe Iv been reading too many brochures and pamphlets from brands trying to sell $10k preamplifiers..... or too many mechanical watch magazines trying to sell that idea.

We all know why we love B&O.... because speakers could be that much better than just a box off a department store shelf. And what I mean by more is a lot of things... a story, heritage, pursuit of perfection, design, ambition etc.

Now we are talking wireless sound bars and wafer thin decoders for the most advanced audio technical advancement in a long time in Dolby atmos. Just seems a bit of a mismatch to me. It’s a time some people are selling pure silver core cables to eek out the very last ounce of performance, and others selling wireless connectivity via microwaves. I suppose hats a good thing.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Wed, Dec 19 2018 6:16 AM | Locked

Hallo Howzit - We love B&O - but - Think about this -

It has now been a management decision in Bang & Olufsen to successfully sell the production units
and other assets from. Then we can bust the lost values, just as crazy we want. BeoLab speaker will
sooncould be purchased online as BeoPlay. How many B & O stores survive without just a BeoVision
TV. ?. BeoVision Eclipse = LG panel anno 2017, will be the last. Therefore, I have no alternative and is
completely satisfied with LG's initiatives. We have no alternatives other than an LG TV in the B & O store today.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Wed, Dec 19 2018 7:14 PM | Locked

WiSA Home Audio Entertainment

Whether it’s a 2.1 starter system or a full 7.1 surround experience, WiSA-certified devices always
work in perfect harmony. Build, scale, mix, and match. With WiSA, the possibilities are endless.

http://www.wisaassociation.org/

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend replied on Wed, Dec 19 2018 10:43 PM | Locked
Peter Pan:

Hallo Howzit - We love B&O - but - Think about this -

It has now been a management decision in Bang & Olufsen to successfully sell the production units and other assets from. Then we can bust the lost values, just as crazy we want. BeoLab speaker will sooncould be purchased online as BeoPlay. How many B & O stores survive without just a BeoVision TV. ?. BeoVision Eclipse = LG panel anno 2017, will be the last. Therefore, I have no alternative and is completely satisfied with LG's initiatives . We have no alternatives other than an LG TV in the B & O store today.

So can we assume then that B&O stores will be full of WISA equipped LG TVs? No more Beo 1 remote then surely.

I’ll hold onto mine for as long as the software holds out then I guess. Can you even imagine having this thought 5 years ago?

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Dec 20 2018 6:26 AM | Locked

Hi Chris Townsend

No!  From Tue Mantoni started (Mono-brand) BeoPlay. From there Bang & Olufsen's brand fell in value.  Sad

Tue Mantoni  - Click here.    Bang & Olufsen - Interested can read here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also hope my BV 7 works a few years, until there is a good alternative from B & O or others.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Dec 20 2018 10:16 AM | Locked
Indeed, I've mentioned numerous times that some of the things we've been used to in the past ( BR, PUC etc) may now disappear from future products.

Hope I'm wrong, or that some way through can be found for some kind of BR to be used in a hybrid (3rd party TV / B&O speakers) setup. But I'd start thinking about a world where such a setup would involve something different from the existing BR1.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Dec 20 2018 1:55 PM | Locked

Hi Sandyb

Answer tendons.

WiSA Home Audio Entertainment

Whether it’s a 2.1 starter system or a full 7.1 surround experience, WiSA-certified devices always
work in perfect harmony. Build, scale, mix, and match. With WiSA, the possibilities are endless.

http://www.wisaassociation.org/

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Dec 20 2018 2:04 PM | Locked

"always work"?

given most people's experience with wireless tech, i'd treat that with a bit of scepticism.....

all the same, more WISA options in general isn't a bad thing....so i welcome it.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Dec 21 2018 10:57 AM | Locked

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sat, Dec 22 2018 8:49 PM | Locked

Old to 'new' - Torsten Valeur B&O trying maybe to make a remote control for the new LG C9 WiSA television.Smile 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Sat, Dec 22 2018 10:42 PM | Locked

....and why should a 2019 LG tv need a new remote control just because it has support for WiSA as an option?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 7:14 AM | Locked

The main concern of Beo customers is not at being able to use a Bang & Olufsen remote control.
At the same time, a remote control instead of a TV will be within an affordable task for B&O. So if
the offer is there, the LG remote control may smoke in the drawer, and B&O sells a remote control.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 8:42 AM | Locked

Sorry to say it - you are obviously not aware of what a BROne(bt) is capable of.

What is the use of a B&O remote control, when there is nothing B&O to control with that LG tv?

Or do you just want a B&O look-alike remote with your new LG tv 🙄

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 9:28 AM | Locked

Millemissen Don't think we can still have B&O products after purchase of a LG C9 WiSA TV.
Would you rather use 2 remote controls ?.  It's not an Ellipse talked about. Idea

It's over with Eclipse when the last The LG C7 panel is away from the warehouse.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:13 AM | Locked
I’m watching an Eclipse, which is essentially an LG tv, with a Bang and Olufsen speaker and processor, all controlled by the Beo one.

If it had neither the speaker unit, or the remote it would obviously revert to its LG state, and I’d have to buy, position, fix a sound bar(nasty)and then juggle with half a dozen controls.

I’m willing to give B&O the funds to placate the sound bar and remote control. The moment that goes.......

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/philips-55oled903

The competition is catching on and surely it can’t be long before they are knocking on B&Os USP, and then it just joins the mass market of being a speaker manufacturer. Nuts

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:16 AM | Locked
Peter Pan:

Millemissen Don't think we can still have B&O products after purchase of a LG C9 WiSA TV. Would you rather use 2 remote controls ?. It's not an Ellipse talked about.

I like my Eclipse having WISA, but it wasn’t the primary reason.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:26 AM | Locked

Chris Townsend:
I’m watching an Eclipse, which is essentially an LG tv, with a Bang and Olufsen speaker and processor, all controlled by the Beo one.

If it had neither the speaker unit, or the remote it would obviously revert to its LG state, and I’d have to buy, position, fix a sound bar(nasty)and then juggle with half a dozen controls.

I’m willing to give B&O the funds to placate the sound bar and remote control. The moment that goes.......

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/philips-55oled903

The competition is catching on and surely it can’t be long before they are knocking on B&Os USP, and then it just joins the mass market of being a speaker manufacturer. Nuts

.... and it's only 2 grand!

Ban boring signatures!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:42 AM | Locked
YesErm..

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:46 AM | Locked

The Philips OLED? 

Android OS and no Dolby Vision (nor any prospect of it)......

Hard pass, given the alternatives.

But the broader point is correct, TV brands partnering with Meridian, B&W etc does make more mainstream TV brands a bit more attractive to some.

Personally I don't love the aesthetics of TV and separate sound bar, but I guess I'm going to have to accept it when I next change things.

Which at this rate won't be for a few years yet.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 12:25 PM | Locked

Peter Pan:

Millemissen Don't think we can still have B&O products after purchase of a LG C9 WiSA TV. Would you rather use 2 remote controls ?. It's not an Ellipse talked about.

The LG 2019 tv is an LG tv no matters if it is WiSA Ready or not.

Personally I would not use WiSA for my speakers.anyway - the wires are already in place.....would you?

And why the h*ck should I stop having B&O products just because of an LG tv?

It is no secret that you don’t give a d*mn about NL or the post ML products.

I do!

The thought of a WiSA Ready LG as the saviour for (former) B&O costumers is way out.

It is just a tv like many other tv’s.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 12:33 PM | Locked

Indeed, though all this just reiterates the wish for many B&O clients to have a sound solution that (a) allows 3rd party screens, and (b) continues NL multi room.

Whether B&O fulfil that wish is another thing - they may (may I stress) take the view that multi-room can be handled by other protocols, be that Chromecast groups, Airplay 2, or other options. 

As a fan of NL, i use it to listen to TV audio in other rooms (where there is no screen). Yes I use NL to do multi room music, but other protocols can handle that.

So much as I'd like them to maintain NL that covers both use cases, I'm not 100% confident that it will be maintained.

But then again, I'm not 100% confident of anything these days. Multi-room may have been something B&O stood out for once upon a time, but others have moved into that space quite successfully, so in a world of narrowed focus, wouldn't surpass me if NL disappeared.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 4:12 PM | Locked

chucky
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Bronze Member
chucky replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 11:04 PM | Locked
I have been reading this Smile

I found this today, on STB brackets.

http://www.stbbrackets.co.uk/en-GB/gallery/LG-Signature-C8-77-large-screen/77c8#image-1

It”s an 77 inch LG with a new connection hub from B&O. It looks really an end of the full Beovision imho. This way with some tweaking (loose the hub) you can have your own 77 inch under 15K fully functioning with beoremote 1. Although I hate not fully integrated this setup is really clean and to say I do not have problems now with the ML/NL converter...

Suprisingly it seems B&O allows STB to produce this, they cannot make much profit on this. Confused

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 12:06 AM | Locked

new S8 connection hub?

might be missing something, but where's the reference to a new S8 hub?

Either way, it does seem as if the end of BV's is upon us, and all that that brings.

chucky
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Bronze Member
chucky replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 5:58 AM | Locked
Sandyb:

new S8 connection hub?

might be missing something, but where's the reference to a new S8 hub?

Either way, it does seem as if the end of BV's is upon us, and all that that brings.

Mikipedi4 posted it:

the ''new'' version is now just the ''Connection Hub'', just an fyi

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 6:48 AM | Locked

chucky - Thanks for the information. Yes - thumbs up

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 8:43 AM | Locked

BEOPLAY S8 UPDATE:
NOW WORKS WITH ALMOST ALL TV’S AND DIGITAL MUSIC SOURCES

Click here.

I'm not quite sure if this is real. / Peter Pan.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 8:50 AM | Locked
Thanks ChuckyBig Smile

The “new” Connection Hub is also what John from B&O of Manchester uses to connect the lg c8 77” to their bl17’s in the showroom. Works well and should be upgradedable in the next itteration with an hdmi standard in the future and extra PL ports if B&O desires to go that route.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 9:34 AM | Locked

The result: a tv with an external 2.0/2,1 speaker system....

.....where did the center speaker go 😲

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 9:36 AM | Locked

Peter Pan:

BEOPLAY S8 UPDATE:
NOW WORKS WITH ALMOST ALL TV’S AND DIGITAL MUSIC SOURCES

Click here.

I'm not quite sure if this is real. / Peter Pan.

Could you please post a date for this update (there is none in the document) in order to see if that is a recent - or an old - update?

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 9:45 AM | Locked

Mikipidia:

....and should be upgradedable in the next itteration with an hdmi standard in the future and extra PL ports if B&O desires to go that route.

Your asumptions/thoughts, I suppose!

More (more than for a 2.0/2.1 setup) PL ports however, would require a multichannel/surround processor built in....

....which would make that a rather different - and new - device.

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 10:45 AM | Locked

Millemissen asks questions. The Millemissen search it yourself. Idea

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 10:57 AM | Locked

Peter Pan:

Millemissen asks questions. The Millennium seeks it yourself. Idea

What the h*ck does that mean?

MM

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Mon, Dec 24 2018 1:23 PM | Locked
Millemissen:

Your asumptions/thoughts, I suppose!

More (more than for a 2.0/2.1 setup) PL ports however, would require a multichannel/surround processor built in....

....which would make that a rather different - and new - device.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Would that be needed though if next years lg tv can already process dolby atmos internally? Then you just need to relay the signal to the right speaker via wires and bob’s your uncle

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 12:36 PM | Locked

Mikipidia:
Would that be needed though if next years lg tv can already process dolby atmos internally ?
Then you just need to relay the signal to the right speaker via wires and bob’s your uncle

Millemissen

Are you satisfied with that answer. ?

Page 3 of 25 (966 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS