Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

LG 2019 OLED TV- WiSA Wireless- Soundbar- Dolby Atmos audio.

This post has 965 Replies | 3 Followers

chucky
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Bronze Member
chucky replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 2:58 PM | Locked
I am really waiting for CES 2019, after that I will take the plunge. Never thought the day would come without a Beovision. It will be a hassle but with RS232 onboard a lintronic decoder and a new atmos receiver and a few days fiddeling Wink

I want a full setup and integrate 4x beolab 9 and 2 beolab 3 and a beolab 7 center as I have now.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 6:20 PM | Locked

Peter Pan:

Mikipidia:
Would that be needed though if next years lg tv can already process dolby atmos internally ?
Then you just need to relay the signal to the right speaker via wires and bob’s your uncle

Millemissen

Are you satisfied with that answer. ?

No, not at all - it is not an answer. It is a thought, a wish, a suggestion at most.

However, you don’t really expect that a coming LG tv will get wired (PL) connections for external speakers.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 6:27 PM | Locked

By the way - you can already send the audio signal via HDMI/ARC in order to ‘relay the signal to the right speakers via wires’. You just need an A/V receiver!!!

However, what LG is aiming at with their WiSA Ready tv’s is to avoid the external device and the wires. 

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 8:50 PM | Locked

Exactly MM Yes - thumbs up

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 10:09 AM | Locked

Millemissen:
Given the efford they have made and still make in order to make the BROne a remote control
for any modern BeoSound (including the M’s and A’s) and for all sorts of home controlling
(light, curtains etc) I see little evidence that they will drop a B&O remote in the product portefolio.

Peter Pan:
The main concern of Beo customers is not at being able to use a Bang & Olufsen remote control.
At the same time, a remote control instead of a TV will be within an affordable task for B&O.
A remote control that controls LG TV and older B&O products. So if the offer is there, the LG
remote control may smoke in the drawer, and B&O sells a remote control.

What do you think of that solution ?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 10:24 AM | Locked

Why restrict it to just LG TV's?

When they stop making TV's, the logic for continuing to make a TV remote (or at least this one) will fall away.

Does anyone really think they'll be making PUC tables, lets say, 2 years after they exit the TV business?

Though I hope to be proved wrong.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 10:36 AM | Locked

Sandyb:

Why restrict it to just LG TV's?

No reason to imo!

I just did not mention that....because everyone here seems to think that an LG (OLED) tv is the only possibility for a future tv.

Personally I an only interested in the display - the smart functions I can get from an ATV.....and then there is my OPPO player.

Many decent ‘displays’ / good picture to choose from - when you look in the upper range.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 10:49 AM | Locked

Sandyb:

When they stop making TV's, the logic for continuing to make a TV remote (or at least this one) will fall away.

B&O does not make ‘tv remotes’ - they make Beo remotes.

They stopped making ‘tv remotes’ decades ago.

This was one of the last - from before the BeoLink 1000 came.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 10:55 AM | Locked

There are indeed many choices, and interesting that the more sensible reviewers out there stress this point.

Their annual awards generally separate into best TV for home theatre, for gaming, for bright lounges etc etc....i.e. there is no one TV that ticks all the boxes perfectly. 

The LG's do seem to be regarded as probably the best all rounder though, especially their upscaling isn't as deficient vs the Sony as it used to be.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 10:58 AM | Locked

Semantics - those who own a BR One but no BV will be in the extreme minority.

The sound centre type of product will come with something though, just don't know its form factor / scope.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 11:13 AM | Locked

Sandyb:

The sound centre type of product will come with something though, just don't know its form factor / scope.

The remotes from B&O change and have changed over time (there are 3 types of the BROne).

They might well surprice us with something new at one point.

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 11:26 AM | Locked

Are there restrictions on the BROne display. Want B & O that we can create optional
option like ATV 4K and OPPO, etc. on the BROne display.- It is probably an option. ?

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 1:50 PM | Locked

LG/Meridian soundbars

Ban boring signatures!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 2:05 PM | Locked

Yes, that kind of thing with NL would be about what we might hope for.

Wonder if B&O include Atmos - not convinced they will,  but let's see.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 3:29 PM | Locked

No cables......that must be WiSA 😉

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 9:31 PM | Locked

Still my dream. Only BeoLab 18 must have WiSA wireless. Beer

HDMI 2.1 - eARC Spec'. So when will 4K TVs from LG, Panasonic, Samsung or Sony arrive with
HDMI 2.1 compatibility? Our guess would be early 2019.

Products with eARC, however, are coming out slowly. Onkyo and Pioneer are the first to offer
eARC updates on select AV products, mainly: Onkyo TX-RZ830, Integra DRX-5.2, Pioneer
SC-LX502 and Pioneer VSX-LX503 AV receivers.

If your TV is HDMI eARC enabled, but your AV amp or soundbar is only compatible with HDMI ARC,
it’s likely you’ll get a sound - but the bandwidth restrictions of ARC will mean you won’t be able to
experience the high bitrate audio that eARC can provide. So no, it's not backwards-compatible.

Some AV receivers and soundbars that don’t have HDMI 2.1 chipsets can be upgraded to support
eARC, but it varies between manufacturers and models. It depends if they are using compatible
hardware that can accept the necessary firmware update.

Enhanced Audio Return Channel (also known as eARC) is the next generation of ARC. It’s a feature
being implemented in the upcoming HDMI 2.1 specification.

The main benefit of eARC is a big boost in bandwidth and speed. This allows you to send higher-
quality audio from your TV to a soundbar or AV receiver.

There’s scope for eARC to deliver up to 32 channels of audio, including eight-channel, 24bit/192kHz
uncompressed data streams at speeds of up to 38Mbps.

This means all those high bitrate formats currently available on Blu-ray discs, 4K Blu-rays and some
streaming services – Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and object-based formats such as
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X – will all be compatible.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 2:22 PM | Locked

Until HDMI 2.1 / eARC is implemented, we can connect 5.1 such.

http://www.jeffperrinmusic.com/blog/guide-to-connecting-your-apple-tv-to-surround-sound-speakers/

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 2:23 PM | Locked

Double post

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 2:36 PM | Locked

Surely this is not news to anyone?

A basic home theatre set up really.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:48 PM | Locked

HDMI 2.1 - eARC

Q: Will this work with any HDMI cable?
A: This works with HDMI High Speed Cables with Ethernet and the new Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable.

Q: Is eARC available through a firmware upgrade?
A: Generally speaking, no. Check with the manufacturer of your product to confirm.

Q: What audio formats are supported?
A: The latest high-bitrate audio formats are supported including DTS Master, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD,
     Dolby Atmos and more.

Q: Will the existing ARC-enabled products work with new products that use eARC?
A: Maybe. Manufacturers can produce products that are compatible with both eARC and ARC. However,
    eARC is not defined to be backwards compatible with ARC.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

It is not my impression that you will relate to the new HDMI 2.1 / eARC system ?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 4:06 PM | Locked

I know all of this already, literally all of it.

Full HDMI 2.1 will not be available soon, as the chipsets are not really widely available to hardware makers yet.

However some features of HDMI 2.1 are available on what are called HDMI 2.0 a / b  -  eARC is one of them.

Do I care about lossless Dolby Atmos? Not so much that I'd rush out to change my setup.

As it is now, the 5.1 sound mixes on Netflix etc are not the best anyway, so to get the best out of a surround setup (5,1 or Atmos) would require discs.

I was watching Lord of the Rings on Netflix a few days ago - the vocals were so quiet in the mix, I had watch the DVD instead, which was so much better.

All of which means to say - I am sure with a UDH Blu-Ray and 4K HDR screen the experience is better for some types of films. But broadcast and streaming isn't such a big improvement, or very widespread, that I feel in a hurry to change everything around.

I'll wait to see what B&O can offer me in a future setup, otherwise my BV12-65 is more than good enough .

As for the picture you posted - my comment was that it shows the schematic of a basic HT connection, which I'd guess everyone knows anyway.

But I suspect nothing will stop you posting such pictures, however displeasing I may find them.

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 4:28 PM | Locked

''But I suspect nothing will stop you posting such pictures, however displeasing I may find them.''

@Sandyb

Posting such pictures is not adressed to yours personal viewing only.Here,on the forum,we are not all highly educated,as you areStick out tongue

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 4:38 PM | Locked

Sandyb:

But I suspect nothing will stop you posting such pictures, however displeasing I may find them.

Seems that there is something we can agree on!

This thread is about: ‘The LG 2019 OLED gets WiSA-based wireless Dolby Atmos Audio

The main thing about that, is that you will need no external device (A/V receiver) for a setup with up to 8 channels —— when you have the optional USB transmitter and you want to go all WiSA.

I am eager to learn how the will present that - soon....on CES 2019 - not hat I need it, but just because I am curious.

And I am curious, whether the LG tv costumers will buy into it?

Or prefer the good old 1: A/V receiver respetively 2: the simple aoundbar option?

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 4:41 PM | Locked
Evidently.

Anyway my point wasn't originally the aesthetics of the pictures, more questioning what new information it actually showed.

The connection of a home theater setup? I'm pretty sure everyone knows that already. What next, a diagram showing a cable box connected to a TV?

But if you found a picture of an Apple TV connected to a receiver and TV useful, then words escape me
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 5:00 PM | Locked
Indeed, as the saying goes, there is more that unites us than divides us.

And similarly, I'm interested as always as to how possibilities are evolving with the technology, even though I'm in a good place with what I have.

The broader narrative that worries me is that a single system good for both music and video is getting harder to find. I don't think it was ever that easy actually - I don't trust the big box AV receivers as good enough for music for me, and B&O have been able to tick both boxes well enough thus far.

So I'll wait and see how their offerings will work if a 3rd party screen is required.

But in the end I'm a traditionalist - ultra vivid images and 3d sound aren't critical, I don't watch enough action / superhero stuff, and Blu-ray on my 12-65 is still plenty beautiful to me.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 5:38 PM | Locked

@ SandyB

Consider my pictures as an alternative options, now that the BeoVision TV time is over.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 5:57 PM | Locked
I’m not an AV novice, so they have no value whatsoever.

Even with respect to this thread, I’m not even sure they are relevant.

My initial question asked as much - showing a picture of a lounge with some speakers and a TV doesn’t achieve anything.

The question about WISA based TV’s is how they will interact with WISA based speakers, specifically B&O ones.

That’s a software / internal spec issue , which we’ll have to wait on.

But thanks for showing me what a Home Theatre setup looks like. Who knew.
Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 6:14 PM | Locked

Sandyb. ok if it's only about you. Idea  - Click here.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 7:37 PM | Locked

Millemissen:
This thread is about: ‘The LG 2019 OLED gets WiSA-based wireless Dolby Atmos Audio’

The main thing about that, is that you will need no external device (A/V receiver) for a setup with
up to 8 channels —— when you have the optional USB transmitter and you want to go all WiSA.

I am eager to learn how the will present that - soon....on CES 2019 - not hat I need it, but just
because I am curious. And I am curious, whether the LG tv costumers will buy into it?

Or prefer the good old 1: A/V receiver respetively 2: the simple soundbar option?

MM

A majority of LG tv costumers will buy a standard TV. We are we are a minority who pay for surround sound. Embarrassed

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen replied on Fri, Dec 28 2018 9:29 PM | Locked

Peter Pan:

A majority of LG tv costumers will buy a standard TV. We are we are a minority who pay for surround sound. Embarrassed

Sure - but we still have to find out, if that WiSA Ready/USB-dongle solution from LG can satisfy those of ‘us’, who worship easy manageable ‘surround sound’ (I prefer the term multichannel sound)......and more of what we are used to from the hands of B&O.

If not, we will see, what B&O might offer.....or go looking for alternative solutions (e.g. with a BSysys4), before aiming at a conventional A/V receiver

Personally - like Sanddyb - I am in no hurry right now.

MM

chucky
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Bronze Member
chucky replied on Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:27 AM | Locked
Am I the only one hating wireless. I have paid a fortune on cables and pipes. Don”t be as if it is the holy grail, it is not. Wireless sucks, wifi sucks, zigbee sucks, z-wave sucks a litlle bit less but at the end it sucks.

So you pay a fortune on a set of speakers as BL50 or 90 but yes let us see how we can do this wireless. Do a search on any forum, it sucks, again. Just as my cores wireless is nice but at high end, well it sucks.

I do not want it do not need it, for my ipad ok but not at my stereo, play loud and wait till it drops...

It will drop, matter of time. Another tweeter dead.

Seriously WISA on high end speakers really?
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:43 AM | Locked

Not the only one - I've got everything (B&O) hard wired in.

Of course that's not easy or practical for everyone, but that's a different issue.

Out of the 16 devices online in my apartment, only 3 are wireless (iPhone, iPad, laptop).

Wireless works well for simple cases.- but for serious heavy duty use, you either need to be lucky, or invest in improving the wireless architecture, or just hard wire ( as I did in the end)

Even Bluetooth headphones are messy - every brand forum is filled with grumbles about poor connectivity. And the sound quality is compromised.

Apple may have got it right with their AirPods, with a separate chip to manage wireless connections, but the AirPods are not for music.

An earlier poster quoted WISA being seamless - I expressed scepticism at that, and would do so again. 

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:45 AM | Locked

chucky:
Am I the only one hating wireless. I have paid a fortune on cables and pipes. Don”t be as if it is the holy grail, it is not. Wireless sucks, wifi sucks, zigbee sucks, z-wave sucks a litlle bit less but at the end it sucks.

So you pay a fortune on a set of speakers as BL50 or 90 but yes let us see how we can do this wireless. Do a search on any forum, it sucks, again. Just as my cores wireless is nice but at high end, well it sucks.

I do not want it do not need it, for my ipad ok but not at my stereo, play loud and wait till it drops...

It will drop, matter of time. Another tweeter dead.

Seriously WISA on high end speakers really?

No,you are not only one.High-end speakers wireless?Never ever.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Dec 29 2018 5:23 PM | Locked
Sandyb:

Not the only one - I've got everything (B&O) hard wired in.

Of course that's not easy or practical for everyone, but that's a different issue.

Out of the 16 devices online in my apartment, only 3 are wireless (iPhone, iPad, laptop).

Wireless works well for simple cases.- but for serious heavy duty use, you either need to be lucky, or invest in improving the wireless architecture, or just hard wire ( as I did in the end)

Even Bluetooth headphones are messy - every brand forum is filled with grumbles about poor connectivity. And the sound quality is compromised.

Apple may have got it right with their AirPods, with a separate chip to manage wireless connections, but the AirPods are not for music.

An earlier poster quoted WISA being seamless - I expressed scepticism at that, and would do so again.

I just yesterday sold my Beolab 9a that has been connected by PL. I bought Beolab 20 in September and they run wireless. I have had a few issues with that, but pretty seldom. Sometimes one speaker won’t turn on or they go into some kind on off behavior. I’ve had issues with stuttering sound and glitchy speakers when airplaying from iPad to cabled Apple TV. I then had to temporarily switch off WiFi 5ghz and it worked just fine.

I am probably connecting them to PL now since the cables aren’t used for the 9s anymore. But I believe that the PL leads are pretty cheap and not perfectly made cables. I hear noise in all of my Beolabs and sometimes I hear ground noise due to the cables. It’s annoying and even though it’s usually pretty low I feel that Beolab 20 sounds cleaner with less noise wireless. I don’t know if they will differ with cables but this is one thing to take into consideration too. Cables aren’t optimal, certainly not analog.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael replied on Sun, Dec 30 2018 1:43 AM | Locked
I like wireless. For me it is fine.
Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Dante replied on Sun, Dec 30 2018 3:00 AM | Locked

Wired or wireless, I don't care.

What I really would like to see is a new multichannel solution for B&O speakers, without video processing.

A SuperCore with HDMI, BT, Chromecast, Airplay and Toslink input.

7.1 PL, Wisa and Toslink outputs. Let the customer decide which one to use...

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Dec 30 2018 7:34 AM | Locked

@ Dante

Totally agree. But it is a dream.

My dream in 2016/17.

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Mon, Dec 31 2018 1:51 AM | Locked

Peter Pan:

@ Dante

Totally agree. But it is a dream.

My dream in 2016/17.

Almando was very close...

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael replied on Mon, Dec 31 2018 2:33 AM | Locked
Peter Pan:

@ Dante

Totally agree. But it is a dream.

My dream in 2016/17.

Imagine a world without imagination.

Keep up the good work PP
Page 4 of 25 (966 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS