Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Watches

rated by 0 users
This post has 363 Replies | 3 Followers

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 5:24 PM

Chris Froome (Team Sky) won his third Tour De France less than a week ago riding a Pinarello Dogma F8 X-Light. Pinarello have been the bike sponsor for Team Sky for a few years now and have had great success. Their bikes are indeed used for road racing. They're well built, have a very good reputation as well, and of course,  they're very very expensive. 

The bike I own is a BMC TeamMachine SLR02 with Shimano Ultegra Di2 electronic drivetrain. I've upgraded the stock wheels to Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite, for a nice light alloy climbing wheel. Superb braking under all weather conditions, and bulletproof as I'm a heavier rider, and put a tremendous amount of pressure when I'm out of the saddle.

My dream bike build, though either a Cervelo S5, or BMC TeamMachine SLR01 (special edition), with Sram Red eTap or DuraAce 9100 Di2, and ENVE SES 4.5 wheels. MMMMMMMMM

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 5:44 PM

Hey Sal,

I have a 2016 Cervelo S3 - I love it. I much prefer it to the S5 as I didn't like the colour of it. Mine is metallic grey with bright red :) Truly love cycling - I average 10-12k miles a year :) I don't miss my car at all - I love whizzing by all of the polluting cars stuck in traffic jams :) I still cannot get my head around cars in 2016 with chimneys on, putting cancerous fumes & particles into the air that we need to stay alive plus all of the lives lost over oil wars!!! 

I like the Pinnerello too, but the S3 was the one for me :) :) :) Castello & Assos are my go to's for cycle fashion :)

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 5:48 PM

Pinarello wise, £1600+ buys a lovely carbon fibre one. 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 6:54 PM

Peter the Biker:

I am not quite shure:

Is the Pinerello bike built for road racing? Is there any biking expert to give a comment on its usability?

Or is it a only a very nice piece for display?

The Pinerello is a fantastic piece of contemporary engineering ,for the price of an ostentatious Rolex, which has been the choice of the Tour de France winners for the past few years. There are cheaper bikes from their stable which also feature the assymetrical stays and so on but I put this example on here as its reduced to the price of the watch Chris mentioned. It's well worth a look in the Bike Rooms in London to see the range. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 6:59 PM

This is the one I'm coveting currently for nipping around https://www.thebikerooms.com/pinarello-treviso-carbon-2015-sora-bob

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 7:10 PM

Paul W:

Hey Sal,

I have a 2016 Cervelo S3 - I love it. I much prefer it to the S5 as I didn't like the colour of it. Mine is metallic grey with bright red :) Truly love cycling - I average 10-12k miles a year :) I don't miss my car at all - I love whizzing by all of the polluting cars stuck in traffic jams :) I still cannot get my head around cars in 2016 with chimneys on, putting cancerous fumes & particles into the air that we need to stay alive plus all of the lives lost over oil wars!!! 

I like the Pinnerello too, but the S3 was the one for me :) :) :) Castello & Assos are my go to's for cycle fashion :)

This post is doubleplusgood.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 7:13 PM

Jeff:

Paul W:

Hey Sal,

This post is doubleplusgood.

Agreed .

and good to see an appreciation of non-sedentary materialism!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 8:07 PM

Paul W:

Hey Sal,

PaulW and others it is really nice to see cyclists on this site. I like to keep active, playing and officiating ice hockey has been my major hobby since college. About 8 years ago, I began cycling, and purchased a Cannondale Bad Boy (an urban commuter) to ride around town, then, a garage fire at my condo destroyed my bike among other items of mine (and other residents). I never got around to replacing the bike. A couple of years ago, after moving to CA, with the closest ice rinks not very close I realized that I needed another hobby to keep me active. So I went to the local bike shop. After telling them what my goals were: to stay in shape, perhaps lose weight, and have fun, they recommended I try out some road bikes. I tried a Pinarello Gan, Cervelo r3, Scott Addict and Foil, BMC GranFondo and a BMC Team Machine (SLR03 w/ Shimano 105). I liked the BMC the best -- it just felt right, and it just happened that the shop had a deal with the BMC which included the entire kit for new cyclists (full fitting, including helmet, shoes, clothing, etc, and coaching for beginners). I was immediately hooked!

PaulW, I don't ride nearly as much as you do -- I'm likely in nowhere near as good physical shape as you're in (with the number of miles you ride), but I try to ride at least 40 min per work day 3 times a week after I get home from work, about 10-12 miles at a steady pace, and then on the weekends about 35-40 miles. I enjoyed this regimen so much that shortly after the purchase I upgraded the wheels to the Fulcrums.

A few months ago, I decided to curtail my ice hockey hobby for cycling. It is more convenient, and, to me at this point in my life, more fun. So I upgraded my BMC to the SLR02 model with an electronic drivetrain, and have my eyes set on maybe treating myself to a pair of ENVE wheels for my b'day.

I feel better physically, I feel fitter and have lost some weight too. When I have played / officiated ice hockey, my stamina is worlds better now that I'm cycling regularly. 

I'm jealous of your S3, PaulW. The BMC I have is a climbing bike due to the hills here in SoCal -- but I lust after the Cervelo Aero bikes. I also like the fact that their BBright bottom bracket is one of the stiffest out there, though the BB86 on the BMC isn't bad.

If you didn't guess, I was rooting for BMC and Dimension Data at this year's TdF: Cavendish, Cummings, and the DD team couldn't have asked for a better result. And as for BMC, Porte finished 5th, and Avermaet wore the Yellow for three days. All in all a wonderful race!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 8:20 PM

Sal awesome story there. Totally with you on cycling. I've been mad on it since the age of 2!!! Cycling will add years onto a person's life! It truly tones the body and strengthens it whilst flushing the lungs plus puts you at one with Mother Nature plus it's lovely chatting to other cyclists and dog walkers and breathing the fresh air from trees and flowers. It's in a way the opposite on  TV which can make you obese and very very unhealthy.

The S3 Sal is perfect. I fell in lover with the design and for me, it was the one. I'll keep it for the rest of my life most definitely :) I also like Bianchi very much along with Pinarello. Not very keen on the other Cervelo's though. 

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 8:25 PM

Sal the amount that you cycle is fantastic - just keep building on that :) I've been a competing Natural bodybuilder since the age of 19, so the cycling is perfect for keeping me lean whilst allowing me to build muscle. For me, every ride is a true adventure. 

There's a great documentary on Netflix called 'Clean Spirit' with Marcel Kittel, one of my favourite riders. A really great watch if you can access it!

PS Ice hockey is fantastic. I love it :)

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 8:48 PM

Paul W:
There's a great documentary on Netflix called 'Clean Spirit' with Marcel Kittel, one of my favourite riders. A really great watch if you can access it!

I've already seen it. :-) Kittel, Degenkolb and some of the current Giant Alpecin gang were in that. Kittel moved on to EQS, and Degenkolb stayed on. Glad he and the rest of the team is back after the team's horrific run in with a car going the wrong way during a training ride.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 8:51 PM

Just finished watching the Lance Armstrong documentary on Netflix! What a cyclpath.

Good to see some hopefully clean guys doing it this year on the tour on their Dogmas.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

This "watches" thread took a strange turn into a bicycle shop. Should I open a bicycles thread?

Peter the biker

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 9:09 PM

Peter the Biker:

This "watches" thread took a strange turn into a bicycle shop. Should I open a bicycles thread?

I think somebody should crank up a bicycle thread. 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

I preferred the original Chopper. The new one doesn't have a frame mounted great selector which is a bummer. 

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Simonbeo:

Peter the Biker:

I think somebody should crank up a bicycle thread. 

It is cranked up.

Peter the biker

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Wed, Aug 24 2016 11:46 PM
The Rolex part.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 2:49 PM
BeoGreg:

The Rolex part.

I like the one on the far right a lot. Which model is that?
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:17 PM
Good choice ! It's a Rolex Daytona reference 116520 bought in 2003.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Anyone ever had one of these or even seen it in the wild ?

I am intrigued simple because this is the orientation I have for my Apple watch ... and so the "digital crown" matches this Braun ! Plagiarism !!!

( can't wait for the Apple razor Big Smile )

BeoNut since '75

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Aug 27 2016 7:57 AM

Elephant, that looks like a Ventura watch designed by Hannes Wettstein.

http://www.stylepark.com/en/architecture/digital-time-travel/337374

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Aug 27 2016 1:25 PM

Hi Elephant,

Nice watch ! I didn't know Braun was in Watches too...

Thank you for my personal culture Smile

The Braun strap attachment is very nice and well done.

I like the silver BN0159, even if it's too large for me.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Aug 27 2016 1:33 PM

Till someone decided to visit my flat whilst I was absent last year, I owned this Sbarro (hubless - don't know if this is the right translation...)

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Aug 27 2016 1:50 PM

I bought this quartz pocket watch, "just to try" on Amazon :

and I now prefer this kind of watches!

--> My next "pocket-watch-phone", expected before the end of the year...

More information here --> https://igg.me/at/runcible

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Aug 27 2016 3:44 PM
CB:

I bought this quartz pocket watch, "just to try" on Amazon :

and I now prefer this kind of watches!

--> My next "pocket-watch-phone", expected before the end of the year...

More information here --> https://igg.me/at/runcible

I can understanding a pocket aka fob watch Smile

And the "Anti-Smartphone" watch is interesting Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Sep 30 2016 10:32 AM

I came across this by Corum, the Paiste Bubble, a collaboration with Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice and Paiste symbols. They use the same time honoured engineering technique making the watch face as they do when they're make symbols....

I just love the thought and crazy detail behind this.

Sweet Child of Time ...

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Yesterday we decided to take our family around a nearby lake. Spotting what I thought was a ball, I sent one of our Labradors in to fetch it. It quickly became apparent something was wrong as he was paddling frantically. After some time his paddling subsided and he started to sink.

We both decided to try and rescue him, so as I got undressed my wife decided just to jump in. The freezing water instantly stopped her breathing, and a fellow dog walker rescued her. By this time I had just my pants and socks left, so I made my way out to our dog together with another brave dog walker.

The dog although in trouble wouldn't let him near him so he gave up, and I passed him to have a go too . Thankfully this worked and I untangled my dog who just left me and swam back to shore. Having not initially felt the cold, as I neared the shore I started to flounder myself and was also rescued by the other brave stranger.

One of our children had gone to get help, and the other went to heat up our car. We made it to the car(help never came) and tried to heat up in clothing that was due to be washed!

Apres drowning photo

Anyway, as we got home my wife discovered she'd lost her Rolex. Both of us were probably in shock, and she had mild hypothermia. No big deal as far as I'm concerned, none of us perform that well under such stresses, and considering that either of us could have died, it was just one of those things.

Today we phoned the cafe at the lake to see if anything had been handed in, and guess what ?

Somebody out dog walking had anonymously handed it inYes - thumbs up

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Nov 14 2016 8:10 PM

Wow Chris !!!!

What a story...

Now, you've got to try the lottery Yes - thumbs up

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Nov 14 2016 8:21 PM

CB:

Wow Chris !!!!

What a story...

Now, you've got to try the lottery Yes - thumbs up

Yep. That's one serious story and the honesty with the watch was a great result of honesty.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Nov 14 2016 9:39 PM

Holy Cow! Amazing story. Glad to hear that everyone was okay. The return of the Rolex is merely icing on the cake.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Nov 14 2016 10:31 PM

Update on Pinerello bikes, which I mentioned this summer on this thread. They've been bought out by Louis Vuitton which owns Tag Heuer,Hublot and Bulgari.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Nov 15 2016 9:27 AM

Chris, glad that you and your family are okay and alive! There are enough horror stories of people jumping into the water and that was their last action.
You can be very proud of your kids as they acted so good in this situation when both parents brought themselfes into danger.
Hats off to the anonymous dog walker that brought back your wife's watch! So, there are still good people out there. :-)

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Thanks very much.

One thing I was careful to do was ensure that both of us weren't in the water at the same time. The generosity and bravery of complete strangers was very humbling.Yes - thumbs up

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Nov 17 2016 9:20 AM

as it's Thursday... Hewlett Packards HP-01 watch and probably the first real smart watch. Apart from the traditional style timepiece, and there are many gorgeous offerings on this post I also have a soft spot for the more unusual. 

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Mark, i love love love that!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Nov 17 2016 10:37 AM
Mark:

as it's Thursday

With the display it's definitely a "back to the future" moment

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Nov 17 2016 11:54 AM

Mark:
there are many gorgeous offerings on this post

This HP-01 belongs to this category, obviously!

Not seen in Men In Black, but could have been...

More information here and there

Reminds me old pocket calculators like the HP-35 45 65 80 or Texas Instrument TI-57 58  Smile

JC
Top 150 Contributor
West Yorkshire
Posts 764
Silver Member
JC replied on Thu, Nov 17 2016 12:31 PM

Thankfully a safe outcome Chris!! So glad you are all ok!!!

Jonnie

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Fri, Nov 18 2016 1:03 PM
Wow Chris, so glad your wife's Datejust is safe (well, this is a watch thread not Baywatch !).
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
BeoGreg:

Wow Chris, so glad your wife's Datejust is safe (well, this is a watch thread not Baywatch !).

Me.....

Page 6 of 10 (364 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS