Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Watches

rated by 0 users
This post has 363 Replies | 3 Followers

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Nov 18 2016 11:33 PM

Yowsa Chris! Damned close call for all concerned, very glad to hear you all survived. Hypothermia is nothing to sneeze at, and it can happen remarkably quickly. Good to hear you got the watch back, but as you say it would have been a small price to pay for both of you surviving. At any rate I'm very happy you both are OK. Things can be replaced, people not so much.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Dec 10 2016 6:43 PM

This may not be everyones cup of Tea but it tickles my geekeness. Made from a 4GB Microdrive by HDD Watches of France, even the strap has a circuit board design. 

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Dec 11 2016 9:32 AM
Mark:

This may not be everyones cup of Tea but it tickles my geekeness. Made from a 4GB Microdrive by HDD Watches of France, even the strap has a circuit board design.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Cute

One geek to another 🤓

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Dec 17 2016 12:14 AM
My first Apple Watch had in Pseudo-NASA jargon a "catastrophic component separation failure".

During its repair return process I neglected take a photo, however it look somewhat like this other tragic (except my was a face plat separation):

Anyway the good news is unit was replaced and in the process I elected for a very modest amount to upgrade to:

Except stupidly I restored to old watch's settings and in doing so erased the Nike clock face [:\'(]

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Dec 17 2016 8:19 AM

elephant:
My first Apple Watch had in Pseudo-NASA jargon a "catastrophic component separation failure".

Remember, Apple watches may not be used to hammer nails Wink

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Dec 17 2016 11:58 AM
CB:

Remember, Apple watches may not be used to hammer nails

LaughingLaughingLaughing

I think it was the 30+C heat at the Australian Scandinavian Christmas market that weakened the glue bonding the display to the body!

BeoNut since '75

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Dec 25 2016 10:26 AM

Santa Claus came...

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Dec 25 2016 12:17 PM

Benoit, I like that a lot.

(my wife has ordered me a withings watch for Christmas which is stainless with a polished finish and a black face. Pre-orders were more than expected so I didn't receive it today.)

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Dec 25 2016 12:30 PM

Thank you. It's something a bit different from what I use to wear (Hulk ;-) ).

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Beautiful Benoit.
bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member

Nice Rolex

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/775694/Antiques-Roadshow-1960-Rolex-value-Peter-Planes-estimation

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, May 19 2018 11:15 PM

Considering a new watch - have decided on a Jaeger Lecoultre ultra thin master small second (I like very plain watches that are very thin!) but undecided whether to go steel or gold. Head says steel, as I will wear it a lot, but heart says gold. Not a huge amount of money different - very nearly bought the steel the other day but want a 38.5mm face and a brown leather strap and only the steel 40mm comes with that!! Was waiting for dealer to ring me to let me know if I could have a brown strap, but he never did! Seen a rose gold one for not much more - and with brown alligator strap... Would love a Piaget Altiplano but not very practical!

What do we think?!

Peter

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, May 20 2018 12:06 PM
this seems like a good group to ask this questions. in what countries do you buy your watches to get the bed value? any advice how to get highly sought after watches that are commonly sold out?
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, May 20 2018 12:54 PM
Peter:

Seen a rose gold one for not much more - and with brown alligator strap

Follow your heart.

I have decide life could be too short for anything else !

BeoNut since '75

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, May 20 2018 2:04 PM

Not sure where you are based, but there are some very good and reputable pre-owned dealers in the UK.

Blowers Jewellers in the UK (office in Mayfair and up north), excellent choice and service.

I've seen a reasonable number of overseas buyers picking up watches in the UK - that may be because of price or range of choice, or both, i dont know.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, May 20 2018 4:34 PM

Peter:

Considering a new watch - have decided on a Jaeger Lecoultre ultra thin master small second (I like very plain watches that are very thin!) but undecided whether to go steel or gold. Head says steel, as I will wear it a lot, but heart says gold. Not a huge amount of money different - very nearly bought the steel the other day but want a 38.5mm face and a brown leather strap and only the steel 40mm comes with that!! Was waiting for dealer to ring me to let me know if I could have a brown strap, but he never did! Seen a rose gold one for not much more - and with brown alligator strap... Would love a Piaget Altiplano but not very practical!

What do we think?!

If your heart is telling you gold, you should follow your heart. It's easy to change the straps and it's amazing what a completely different look a strap can give to a watch. I've been contemplating a gold Rolex president, but I feel that it might be just too much gold for me. I don't want to look like a third world dictator or a rap singer. However, I just saw some gold Rolex Date watches with black alligator straps and the straps toned down the watch perfectly.

I just bought my third Rolex this week. I got an Explorer II polar to add to my Submariner and platinum bezel and dial Yachtmaster. I wanted the Explorer II as a watch for changing leather and nylon Nato straps for different looks.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, May 20 2018 7:26 PM

You talked me into it! Will post pictures of very boring looking watch when I get it!! Big Smile

Peter

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, May 22 2018 4:07 PM
was looking for new rather than pre-owned. given the purchase price is high, i was thinking to take advantage of regional price differences: CH vs UK vs US vs HK, etc. any thoughts?
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, May 22 2018 4:16 PM

Fair enough, though pre-owned can mean pretty nearly new from the better dealers.

And they can be a good deal cheaper.

I bought a watch that would count as pre-owned, had never been worn, the dealer had it from new from the manufacturer. It cost be 12.5k vs teh new price of 18k. Thats not always going to be the case for all the pre-owned stock they have, but it illustrates the point.

But of course i perfectly respect the wish to have something new - its just that the better pre-owned dealers are cheaper for stock in excellent condition, and can have a very extensive choice. Personally, they would always be my first port of call.

With the pound cheapening again recently, the UK may well be a good starting point, all the more so as it is a vibrant watch market.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, May 22 2018 4:37 PM
Thanks. good idea. why not give it a shot to check out pre-owned. just have some concerns that you never 100% know the history. even with the best dealer. but good push and let me look into it. may also be easier this way to get my hands on the more in-demand models, which are hard to find new with waiting lists
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, May 22 2018 4:43 PM

most of what they have will be box and original papers.

Blowers Jewellers are very very reputable for what its worth.

Good luck.

Beozip
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 368
Bronze Member

This is my new black beauty. Rado True Stratum is limited of 1001 pieces and one is for me Big Smile

http://rainermutsch.com/portfolio/test-uhr/?id=246

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Wed, May 30 2018 3:38 PM
Peter:

What do we think?!

Peter

I missed that thread, nice move Peter.

You can’t go wrong either steel or gold for an Ultra Thin Master but gold is the way to go of course for such a (simple) beauty.

Again, less is more and absolutely not boring !
Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder

Arrived, good price - slight concern as rotor was not the same as expected but inspected by JLC and is fine. Hopeless at photos so using stock picture - might do so microscope pictures later! Of course being increasingly blind, the tiny dots around the second sector and the rose gold dots betwwen the minute markers are completely invisible to be - but I know they are there!! Interestingly despite being described as Ultra Thin, it is 0.3 mm thicker than my automatic Baume & Mercier!

Peter

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sat, Jun 2 2018 11:53 PM
Good taste Peter, my favorite JLC (excluding tourbillons and things like that).

I also prefer the Memovox over the Reverso but it’s a little thick.
Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Jun 3 2018 1:28 PM

I rather like the Reverso but would not want the second face - the point of it is that you protect the face by turning it around - apparently designed for polo players! I would have that and then engrave the back - family crest or something.

Peter

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Sun, Jun 3 2018 2:12 PM

It's nothing special (especially compared to all of the watches that cost upwards of four figures on this thread!) but I love the simple yet beautiful design Smile

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Jun 3 2018 6:57 PM
At this moment on the French classified ad site

https://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/1441460731.htm

I’m quite sure it belongs to a Beoworld member Wink

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sun, Jun 17 2018 10:29 AM

Not wrist watch exactly...looking for necklaceWink

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 6:16 PM
Thought I deserved a new toy

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 6:59 PM
Duels:
Thought I deserved a new toy

Happy birthday ?

Thought I deserved a new toy too this weekend Smile

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 7:48 PM
CB:

Happy birthday ?

Thought I deserved a new toy too this weekend

No just happy Sunday.

New toys are fun
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Duels:
CB:

Happy birthday ?

Thought I deserved a new toy too this weekend

No just happy Sunday.

New toys are fun

New toys are fun

Both look great :-) 

Nice Sunday Duels 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Aug 28 2018 11:57 AM
Aussie Michael:

Nice Sunday Duels

Big SmileBig Smile
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Happy whatever to me Wink

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Sep 11 2018 7:35 PM
Happy Tuesday evening then Smile

(We need accuracy !)
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Sep 11 2018 8:19 PM
I like that Chris
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Retail is about £1,400. With import duties I paid £719

https://www.jomashop.com/

Not everything is a bargain, but some discounts are insane. Takes a couple of weeks to arrive.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sun, Sep 16 2018 12:23 PM

Good old Seiko 5.Bought at Yokohama,Japan,100$

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

Bought this lovely Heuer Pasadena earlier this year.  Genuine 1981 model, made for only one year with these sub-dials - and in PVD Black.

Now for sale as I'm after another Panerai. Smile

Page 7 of 10 (364 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS