Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Watches

rated by 0 users
This post has 363 Replies | 3 Followers

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Sep 16 2018 4:54 PM
9 LEE:

Bought this lovely Heuer Pasadena earlier this year. Genuine 1981 model, made for only one year with these sub-dials - and in PVD Black.

Now for sale as I'm after another Panerai.

Which one are you going for Lee?
benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Sep 16 2018 5:03 PM

New toy : Grand Seiko spring drive with dark blue sunburst face

uploads

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
benoit:

New toy : Grand Seiko spring drive with dark blue sunburst face

uploads

These Grand Seikos are really growing on me.

Not the usual cliche brand. Understated and classic.Yes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Oct 8 2018 10:01 PM

Classic or old?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Oct 8 2018 10:01 PM

Classic or old?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Bronze Member

This thread reminds me - somewhere I have a swiss made TD jump hour watch that was my dads.  Fully working (last time I looked at it)  but I have never found the exact one - it is rather like this, but it has a sweeping second hand as well. 

https://jamtangan25.blogspot.com/2017/11/tenor-dorly-jump-hour.html

Some general images here.   

Are these a 70's quirk, like quad sound, or considered decent watches?   A quick  peep on ebay has apparently similar devices selling for under £100 to £800 or more. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Tenor+Dorly+td+1393&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJjeyu1PndAhVNFMAKHZ87BXQQ_AUIDygC&biw=1024&bih=695#imgrc=RuI0Mma7ZX5wFM:

Since leaving primary school in the 1970's, I have never taken to habitually wearing a wrist watch.  I had a childs timex, and was given a watch when I left a job in the 80's but its probably 30 years since I bothered wearing a watch. 

Not sure why, but they don't appeal.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Oct 16 2018 10:43 PM
The latest addition to my collection:

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
beojeff:

Very nice
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Nov 11 2018 2:58 PM

Aussie Michael:
beojeff:

Very nice

Thanks. Certainly not an everyday watch, but how could I resist adding to my collection the same watch that Marilyn Monroe infamously gave to JFK?

Designed-AV
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member

Hi, how happy I found this discussion group. I'm lucky enough to buy a Bang & Olufsen watch and maybe someone here in this forum can know something about this watch. Most intrassant to me is how many are made and what year.

Because no information is found anywhere

Even on www there is nothing 

Best regards

Jan

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sun, Nov 11 2018 4:50 PM

And here is the latest present from my mis***ss  (I am not very good with android phone photos)

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

How about this one:

(Link courtesy of -g)

Wood you, or wood you not....

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Nov 17 2018 10:05 AM

Wonderful but I wonder about the longevity and the $200,000 price tag!

Millemissen:

How about this one:

(Link courtesy of -g)

Wood you, or wood you not....

Peter

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sun, Nov 25 2018 3:41 PM

Limited edition.Prebooking red one.Just to commemorate this year's World Cup and Davis Cup finals.

A votre sante BeerDrinksBeer

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

I’m not sure this is a place for fake watches  

OldJack:

And here is the latest present from my mis***ss  (I am not very good with android phone photos)

Too long to list.... 

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sat, Jan 5 2019 9:57 PM

Congrats,bayerische ! You are the first one to observe.

Yes,this is original chinese.Being curious some 10 years ago,and bought it as a souvenir,at one of the street shops at Zhoushan,china.Price : automatic 20,battery operated 25 usd.How can they make it,even bracelet is worth 20 ?

Just imagine what they can do with beoplays ?

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sun, Jan 6 2019 10:34 PM

Re: Luxury brand watches , they are Status Symbols only.What do you really get out of 10k rolex? Design & build qualiy.

If you are looking for basic watch purpose,accuracy,any smartwatch/smartphone is more accurate than any branded (amd expensive) mechanical wrist watch. But,de gustibus... I still love my Thomas Mercer ship's chronometer,and I am winding it regularly,for nostalgia reasons.

The same applies to B&O products.What attracted me to B&O ?

1) design

2) build quality

To be honest,my beolabs 8000 are not the best sounding speakers,And yes,audio-wise you can get much better speakers  for a fraction  of money.

But I like them for 1 & 2 and nostalgia reasons.What upsets me,is beoplay products made at far east.Poor design & build qualty,destroying brand image.I don':t know what profit b&o makes of it,but I have seen many A8 earphones selling on thee streets for 20 $.Boxed,and it is hard to see (and hear) any difference from originals.

No way to be a luxury brand made in ch.... Bring B&O back to Denmark,where it belongs

I know this post is at wrong place,but...

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Hi,

This one's a little different...

If you drive north from Struer for about an hour, you get to a town about the same size called Thisted.

On the 15th of June, 1871, a man names Jørgen Peder Sørensen setup up shop as a clockmaker  on Store Torv in Thisted. He made and repaired watches and clocks (including the town church's clock) until, in 1925, he died and the business passed on to his son, Rasmus Frederik.

I just spent most of the evenings in the past week getting this key-wound pocket watch, made in Thisted by J.P. Sørensen, up and running again. It was in quite a mess when I got it. Years of congealed oil and dirt had seized the movement, the mainspring had come off the arbor, so it couldn't be wound, and one of the pins was missing from the dial. So, it had to be completely stripped down and cleaned, oiled and reassembled. I also had to turn a new pin for the dial on the lathe and epoxy it in place. (Solder is a bad idea on an old watch face - the heat can ruin the enamel).

Now, apart from the missing second hand (I'll put one on there when I find one that matches and fits), it's up and running again - and keeping time well enough that I haven't been late for a meeting for a couple of days!

Cheers
-geoff

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jan 8 2019 7:17 PM

Geoff Martin:

Hi,

This one's a little different...

If you drive north from Struer for about an hour, you get to a town about the same size called Thisted.

On the 15th of June, 1871, a man names Jørgen Peder Sørensen setup up shop as a clockmaker  on Store Torv in Thisted. He made and repaired watches and clocks (including the town church's clock) until, in 1925, he died and the business passed on to his son, Rasmus Frederik.

I just spent most of the evenings in the past week getting this key-wound pocket watch, made in Thisted by J.P. Sørensen, up and running again. It was in quite a mess when I got it. Years of congealed oil and dirt had seized the movement, the mainspring had come off the arbor, so it couldn't be wound, and one of the pins was missing from the dial. So, it had to be completely stripped down and cleaned, oiled and reassembled. I also had to turn a new pin for the dial on the lathe and epoxy it in place. (Solder is a bad idea on an old watch face - the heat can ruin the enamel).

Now, apart from the missing second hand (I'll put one on there when I find one that matches and fits), it's up and running again - and keeping time well enough that I haven't been late for a meeting for a couple of days!

Cheers
-geoff

Great work and a great story - you should send that to Hodinkee, the venerable watch site.

They'd love it!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jan 8 2019 7:21 PM

iPhones are made in China.

And they're regarded as being of very high build quality.

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Sandyb:

Great work and a great story - you should send that to Hodinkee, the venerable watch site.

They'd love it!

Hmmm... Typically the Hodinkee stories are about watches of a different league than this one - and I'm a mere amateur hobbyist (and even that is being self-aggrandizing...)

Cheers
-geoff

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Wed, Jan 9 2019 1:33 AM

Sandyb:

iPhones are made in China.

And they're regarded as being of very high build quality.

Everything is made in china,except chinese.They are made in taiwan Stick out tongue

(P.S. No offense to anybody,I heard this one from guy at hongkong)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
What does everyone think about the Omega Dark Side of the Moon (full black model)? I tried it on and liked it even if the band was a bit “puffy”. They also offer a Grey Side of the Moon which actual meteorite.
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

I've been putting a little away each week to buy myself a reasonably priced watch since last Summer - and I reached a point where I could snap this up!

A far cry from the watches I used to buy, but I love it!  We all start somewhere when we start again Smile

I blame that Canadian bloke with the golden ears at B&O for making me aware of this brand... 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 12:13 AM

If you are asking, probably means you don't quite love it enough.

There are plenty of watches that are nice, are kind of cool - but I've learnt from experience only to buy pieces I absolutely love, otherwise the charm wears off. And variations of classics, such as the Dark Side is, tend to have weak residuals. 

To the extent that you may want to trade it in one day, its the vanilla classics that tend to have a better audience and re-sale market, and hence dealers aren't very generous to say the least with variations.

I say this only because the Dark Side isn't cheap.

As for the watch itself, I've gone for similar (-ish) looking things - a Jaeger Deep Sea Navy Seal, an IWC Pilot Top Gun Miramar and however cool I thought they looked at the outset, I got bored of them pretty quickly.

Personally I think for the money, there are better watches to spend your money on - I don't think it's looks special enough for the price they charge.

But that's just me.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 8:46 AM
9 LEE:

I've been putting a little away each week to buy myself a reasonably priced watch since last Summer - and I reached a point where I could snap this up!

A far cry from the watches I used to buy, but I love it! We all start somewhere when we start again

I blame that Canadian bloke with the golden ears at B&O for making me aware of this brand...

That’s a very nice looking watch Lee. I have a couple of friends who own Hamilton’s and they love them.

Can you see the red edge of the strap when it’s on the wrist?
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 8:56 AM
Aussie Michael:

What does everyone think about the Omega Dark Side of the Moon (full black model)? I tried it on and liked it even if the band was a bit “puffy”. They also offer a Grey Side of the Moon which actual meteorite.

Beautiful Michael. The all black looks very dramatic - quite military.

But the grey is very unusual.

Are you tempted?
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 8:57 AM

Hi,

If you're talking about the full full black Speedmaster, people at Omega call it "the first Omega smartwatch, because you need to be very smart to read the time on it!" Big Smile

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 9:14 AM

Ha! Its funny though a very real consideration I think.

The JLC Navy Seals I had, similar-ish in being a very black colour scheme, wasn't easy to read, and often require a double take.

These colour schemed variations are often made with more of an eye to the fashionista, and while there is nothing wrong with that, they do have a relatively smaller after market, and lower residuals. This can matter, especially as they often cost a bit more than the vanilla watch on which it was based.

If I was looking at that kind of thing, I'd spend the extra couple of grand and get a Rolex GMT Blue / Black (on Rubber B strap).

Anyway, AussieMike, read the Hodinkee article on the watch (if you haven't already), they like it but the subtext is "yet another version / dilution" of the Speedmaster.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-apollo-8-dark-side-of-the-moon

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hi Sandy.  I am asking, and not because i don't quite love it enough.  I was interested to hear what people thought of it. 

I am tempted Duels.  I think its very special and after all the watches i tried on after it, it was the one that drew me back because its so unique.

Well it's either this watch or a motorbike, or just continue the status quo.  

Thanks Sandy, I will read the hodinkee article.  Thanks for the link. 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 12:24 PM
Aussie Michael:

Well it's either this watch or a motorbike, or just continue the status quo.

Nice choice to have.

I think you know with a watch when you try it on. You either live it or you don’t.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Feb 20 2019 11:45 PM
Thought I would treat myself........

Breitling Avenger sea wolf divers watch.

Good to 10,000 feet - which is reassuring.

This thing is bomb proof and a great everyday watch.
Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:15 PM

This Seiko SKX007 mod I wear every day. It was a gift from my brothers and my first (and only) automatic watch. Later I found there is a sub-culture of SKX modding, it is amazing what can be done with bezels, dials, hands, sapphire. All relatively well affordable: I think some upmarket watches' servicing will cost more than my Seiko watch! Kept mine fairly modest. 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Duels:

Thought I would treat myself........

Breitling Avenger sea wolf divers watch.

Good to 10,000 feet - which is reassuring.

This thing is bomb proof and a great everyday watch.

Yummy
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Mar 8 2019 9:07 AM
Aussie Michael:

Yummy

Cheers Michael. I love it.

Did you make a decision on the Omega?
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Mar 31 2019 11:34 AM
As you guys know I am an Apple Watch freak Stick out tongue but I thought you might like this roll call of honour ....

https://apple.news/A4Pk-PU2vQoy8m5AIr-oLyg

BeoNut since '75

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

Duels:

Can you see the red edge of the strap when it’s on the wrist?

Only just...

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Mar 31 2019 11:49 AM
9 LEE:

Only just...

That’s a nice touch. Good looking watch Lee.
mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Sun, Mar 31 2019 12:52 PM

@Johan : the SKX007 is a true marvel for its price, I confess I'm hesitating between this and... Tudor or Rolex for an "indestructible" everyday watch...

Here is my good old Zenith Chronomaster Open Power Reserve that has just received the "mainstream NATO strap" treatment to replace the alligator strap for the summer.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Mar 31 2019 1:42 PM
mbee:

Here is my good old Zenith Chronomaster Open Power Reserve that has just received the "mainstream NATO strap" treatment to replace the alligator strap for the summer.

diisign.com

That is a beautiful watch.
Page 8 of 10 (364 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > | RSS